Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

rocket.net info?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

rocket.net info?

peixotormspeixotorms Member
edited March 2023 in Help

Hi,

Does someone have any information on this provider, rocket.net ?
I chatted their support to ask where are their datacenters and who owns them, and this is what they said:

The server locations are as follows.

US - Ashburn
US - Phoenix
AU - Sydney
UK - London
DE - Frankfurt
NL - Amsterdam
SG - Singapore
And our datacenters are privately owned by Rocket.net

I find it a bit dubious... that a new company I never heard of, owns 7 datacenters, but could be. If anyone knows anything, please let me know!

Even Sydney Bing, doesn't know about them.

Comments

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited March 2023

I never heard about them and "about us" says that they are founded in 2020, so relatively new host, however their domain may have some decent market value by itself. You don't get those today unless you have a really deep pocket. Not your regular LEB newbs I would say.

Edit.
    Ah, yes, not newbs. Their CEO: https://rocket.net/about-us/ben-gabler/

• "rocket.net"... seriously? Skip it.

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited March 2023

@scooke said:
    "rocket.net"... seriously? Skip it.

Depend how you market it. It can't be worse than Vultr :P (name, not company itself)

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited March 2023

Funny thing - they claim they sell CDN services, WAF etc... but their own site is protected by Cloudflare, potentially free because it has default lookin nameservers. Of course you can sell CDN services if you just add customer domain to Cloudflare, big brain time!

Imagine if path.net would protect themselves with Cloudflare, LOL.

Thanked by 2emgh sillycat
  • tjntjn Member

@Mumbly said:
    Ah, yes, not newbs. Their CEO: https://rocket.net/about-us/ben-gabler/

Can always book him for free with 30mins notice and ask :D

• emghemgh Member

@AXYZE said:

Funny thing - they claim they sell CDN services, WAF etc... but their own site is protected by Cloudflare, potentially free because it has default lookin nameservers. Of course you can sell CDN services if you just add customer domain to Cloudflare, big brain time!

Imagine if path.net would protect themselves with Cloudflare, LOL.

”Own datacenter” can mean so much these days.

I’m sure if you walk outside these locations, there won’t be a big Rocket.net sign outside.

But what do I know ..

• It looks like they are enterprise shared hosting platform and their main USP is Clouflare Enterprise CDN.

$30/month for 1 WordPress site with 10GB storage & 50GB bandwidth is too much ;)

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited March 2023

@peixotorms said: Even Sydney Bing, doesn't know about them.

Bing does not list something? What a surprise.

• They're honestly very good. Worked a bit with them. Expensive, but very good.

Thanked by 1rocketben
  • They seem like a "highend" Wordpress hosting.

• alt_alt_ Member

Kinsta suit you better, if you want some premium Wordpress hosting.

• I choked when see 30$ for 10gb + 50GB Bandwidth. And how can be that number serve 150k visitor?

• XNQXNQ Member

@ailice said:
    I choked when see 30$ for 10gb + 50GB Bandwidth. And how can be that number serve 150k visitor?

Usually, with Enterprise managed WP hosting, the bandwidth itself is only the initial html response as most if not all assets are served by the CDN. So instead of having maybe 1-2mb per pageview, it would be sub 100kb.

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited March 2023

@tjn said: Can always book him for free with 30mins notice and ask

Or at least now when he try to push new brand :P We don't know if this will be possible once he sell it to some corporation and move on :P

• kdhkdh Member

I never heard of them, but at least their domain looks cool :wink:

Thanked by 1rocketben
  • @cloudride said: $30/month for 1 WordPress site with 10GB storage & 50GB bandwidth is too much

indeed, I too tested them last month for one of my clients business WP site since they wanted something fast. The difference between my LE host, and $30/mo rocket.net site loading speed was not more than 500ms in multiple gtmetrix tests. But their TTFB was indeed better. But its good for mission-critical sites actually. For business, or even high-traffic WP sites $50/yr. 2CPU/2GB RAM can be sufficient rathen than spending $360/yr. to save some milliseconds, especially in 5G era that would not matter much unless the page is loaded with HQ HD images!

Thanked by 2kidrock rocketben
  • @Mumbly said: We don't know if this will be possible once he sell it to some corporation

Elon Musk should buy rocket.net brand for his spaceX missions. cool domain. perfect. B)

Thanked by 1kdh
  • tmyerstmyers Member
    edited March 2023

I've used Rocket.net and have known Ben for over a decade.

If you're in need of concierge level WordPress host, no better than Rocket.net. Great uptime, easy to use control panel, and no issues with site speed.

I sent Ben a text with this thread to answer any questions.

Thanked by 1rocketben
  • @JasonM said:

@cloudride said: $30/month for 1 WordPress site with 10GB storage & 50GB bandwidth is too much

indeed, I too tested them last month for one of my clients business WP site since they wanted something fast. The difference between my LE host, and $30/mo rocket.net site loading speed was not more than 500ms in multiple gtmetrix tests. But their TTFB was indeed better. But its good for mission-critical sites actually. For business, or even high-traffic WP sites $50/yr. 2CPU/2GB RAM can be sufficient rathen than spending $360/yr. to save some milliseconds, especially in 5G era that would not matter much unless the page is loaded with HQ HD images!

Beside the 500ms, was there any other advantages using them? Our LET hosts would probably perform better if paid 100/yr rather than 360/yr to them lol 😁

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

It seems to be aimed to high-end enterprise WordPress hosting.
    Their CEO's curriculum is impressive. No doubt that they're offering an excellent service with superb support.

Thanked by 1rocketben
  • @kidrock said: Beside the 500ms, was there any other advantages using them? Our LET hosts would probably perform better if paid 100/yr rather than 360/yr to them lol 😁

Yes, LE hosts with latest ryzen, server-caching, nvme, and not crunching too many sites on single node may perform somewhere near to rocket, but who uses LE to host high-end sites. But sure they can improve and they'll have to increase the cost, like from $50/yr to $100 but still cheaper than rocket

yes, it was enterprise cloudflare. but since my tested site was already on business plan, it did not feel anything advantage if served from enterprise plan. But if you are using free cloudflare or no cdn at all then you may see much more difference in terms of speed and performance.

I'm trying to use some of there lazy loading javascript on view port feature on my wp blog and will test if it somewhat lowers down the TTFB similar to them.

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • LeviLevi Member

That Ben dude is the machine:

"Mr. Gabler starts his day around 5AM and is available 24/7 for interviews. In fact, early morning is when you’ll see the most energetic, focused version of Ben. Trust us when we say, he’s probably awake before you are."

Reminds me the hustler:

• @JasonM said:
    I'm trying to use some of there lazy loading javascript on view port feature on my wp blog and will test if it somewhat lowers down the TTFB similar to them.

There is a free WP plugin named Flying Scripts. Have you tried this?

• @JasonM said:

@Mumbly said: We don't know if this will be possible once he sell it to some corporation

Elon Musk should buy rocket.net brand for his spaceX missions. cool domain. perfect. B)

He should buy rocket.net and then change the name of twitter to rocket. Twitter sucks and people would like a brand new name.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@AXYZE said: Funny thing - they claim they sell CDN services, WAF etc... but their own site is protected by Cloudflare, potentially free because it has default lookin nameservers. Of course you can sell CDN services if you just add customer domain to Cloudflare, big brain time!

That is exactly what they tell you they do, that they use Cloudflare.

• emghemgh Member

BuyVM sells DDoS protection and use Path (they also sell it through Path).

Don’t see the issue.

I don’t care who made it, I care about if it’s good.

Their clintele probably don’t know how to properly set up a fast WP site themselves, took me years and years to learn how to do it best, with trial and error as my clients sites crashed when visitor spikes was too high.

It’s not about saving pennies here, and honestly, it’s not expensive at all.

I charge my client like 10x this.

Thanked by 1rocketben
  • rocketbenrocketben Member
    edited March 2023

Hi!

Just wanted to clear the air on a few things.

First, there was a bit of miss communication / confusion on what was relayed about our servers (from our side).

We do not own the data centers, we own our cloud. What does that mean? We don’t suffer from noisy neighbor problems on commodity cloud, we manage everything from the CPU to the disk inside of our own private cloud leveraging bare metal servers with our own virtualization from Enterprise providers.

This allows us to provide our customers with the best possible performance as we don’t have to worry about someone else using our CPU or disk throughput. Just today I read something on the admin bar about WPEngine telling a customer they had to move their sites to another instance (themselves) due to a noisy neighbor on Amazon that WPEngine couldn’t control.

Second, we are not “cheap”, but we are most certainly affordable. Unlike Kinsta, who is now quietly backed by private equity (https://www.crunchbase.com/funding_round/kinsta-wordpress-hosting-private-equity--2bac1c3f) and raised their prices to appease private equity and I’m sure more are to follow.

We are fully bootstrapped and profitable. How? We built a solution that flat out did not exist. If you think our USP is “Cloudflare” you’re definitely mistaken.

We’ve built an incredible platform that leverages Cloudflare Enterprise in front of said platform unlike any other company in the planet… but there’s much more to us than just Cloudflare.

From unique features like activity logging, to what I consider the best support on the planet, our customers are extremely satisfied with our end to end solution.

Happy to answer any questions outside of what wasn’t covered above.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • rocketbenrocketben Member
    edited March 2023

@Mumbly said:

@tjn said: Can always book him for free with 30mins notice and ask

Or at least now when he try to push new brand :P We don't know if this will be possible once he sell it to some corporation and move on :P

try me :)

When I relaunched the entire hosting product line in 2013 at GoDaddy, I spent countless hours in the call center handling calls, live chats, and tickets.

In fact, when we launched cPanel hosting I broke 50 GoDaddy rules and put our own helpdesk inside of cPanel to avoid the 6 day delay on tickets at GoDaddy where I personally handled over 70 tickets a day.

If you’re not thinking like a customer, you will never succeed with your product.

If you’re not talking to customers, then you will never know the true customer experience of your product.

• @JasonM said:

@kidrock said: Beside the 500ms, was there any other advantages using them? Our LET hosts would probably perform better if paid 100/yr rather than 360/yr to them lol 😁

Yes, LE hosts with latest ryzen, server-caching, nvme, and not crunching too many sites on single node may perform somewhere near to rocket, but who uses LE to host high-end sites. But sure they can improve and they'll have to increase the cost, like from $50/yr to $100 but still cheaper than rocket

yes, it was enterprise cloudflare. but since my tested site was already on business plan, it did not feel anything advantage if served from enterprise plan. But if you are using free cloudflare or no cdn at all then you may see much more difference in terms of speed and performance.

Lazy loading won’t have any impact on your TTFB, it will affect your PSI scores.

Test your single server location using https://speedvitals.com/ttfb-test then compare to Rocket.

That’s where you’ll see a massive difference globally, which has huge seo benefits and value.

Things that are not possible on business as only Enterprise includes ALL Cloudflare pops and we have additional things like Argo smart routing and tiered caching enabled.

Thanked by 1O0ooo
  • @rocketben said:
    Hi!

Just wanted to clear the air on a few things.

First, there was a bit of miss communication / confusion on what was relayed about our servers (from our side).

We do not own the data centers, we own our cloud. What does that mean? We don’t suffer from noisy neighbor problems on commodity cloud, we manage everything from the CPU to the disk inside of our own private cloud leveraging bare metal servers with our own virtualization from Enterprise providers.

This allows us to provide our customers with the best possible performance as we don’t have to worry about someone else using our CPU or disk throughput. Just today I read something on the admin bar about WPEngine telling a customer they had to move their sites to another instance (themselves) due to a noisy neighbor on Amazon that WPEngine couldn’t control.

Second, we are not “cheap”, but we are most certainly affordable. Unlike Kinsta, who is now quietly backed by private equity (https://www.crunchbase.com/funding_round/kinsta-wordpress-hosting-private-equity--2bac1c3f) and raised their prices to appease private equity and I’m sure more are to follow.

We are fully bootstrapped and profitable. How? We built a solution that flat out did not exist. If you think our USP is “Cloudflare” you’re definitely mistaken.

We’ve built an incredible platform that leverages Cloudflare Enterprise in front of said platform unlike any other company in the planet… but there’s much more to us than just Cloudflare.

From unique features like activity logging, to what I consider the best support on the planet, our customers are extremely satisfied with our end to end solution.

Happy to answer any questions outside of what wasn’t covered above.

Hi Ben happy to see your response and sharing more details about your service.