Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

server-factory.com: reliable? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

server-factory.com: reliable?

Comments

• @vitobotta said:
    I am relaxed, it's just that you are not the first one to comment with jokes on the same topic

Why would that be?

Thanked by 1emgh
  • I only have NAT storage/cold backup there so can't say about performance, but network part stable.

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited February 2023

I am happy with Server-factory too. Soon it will be one year since I purchased vps there.

There was one failure on the Host System my virtual server was on and he live migrated me shortly after I opened ticket to ther other box to reduce downtime otherwise stable performance.

• @Mumbly said:

@vitobotta said:
    I am relaxed, it's just that you are not the first one to comment with jokes on the same topic

Why would that be?

Idk fam, ain't nobody got timez to contemplatez n' shit. I be switchin'.

Thanked by 1Mumbly
  • @Mumbly said:

@vitobotta said:

Why would that be?

To make you happy I just started migrating my self hosted apps from SSD Nodes to Server Factory :p

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @vitobotta said:

@Mumbly said:

@vitobotta said:

Why would that be?

To make you happy I just started migrating my self hosted apps from SSD Nodes to Server Factory :p

Attaboy!

• @edrebe said:
    Wishosting -> use OpenNebula, OVH, $13.99 /m

it's hetzner-based host only routed via ovh

• Looks like I was lucky to get my VPS as they are all out of stock now

• @vitobotta said:
    Looks like I was lucky to get my VPS as they are all out of stock now

You know what you need to do now, right? We need one nice extensive service review before you give it away by tomorrow! ;-)

Thanked by 3hyperblast ralf emgh
  • @Mumbly said: extensive service review

Yabs n cancel

Thanked by 1hyperblast
  • @Mumbly said:

@vitobotta said:
    Looks like I was lucky to get my VPS as they are all out of stock now

You know what you need to do now, right? We need one nice extensive service review before you give it away by tomorrow! ;-)

I'll write a review in around a month, so I have time to properly use it. And I am not going to give it away

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Sir I'm going to need you to put down the credit card and slowly back away, keeping your hands where I can see them

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited February 2023

@vitobotta if this e-commerce doesn't have more than 10k visitors per day just get shared hosting from MyW, RackNerd or even BuyShared.

You pay more for VPS, yet you cannot match CloudLinux with KernelCare, paid WAF with machine learning/based on honeypots and if you won't have much time they help you with WP/mail problems.
    You pay just $10-$30/yr for solid shared hosting and that's it.

I get that you like to experiment, but I know where it will end - too much things to manage, too much things to break.

Yesterday after maintenance and reboot all my Ubuntu dedis were dead, whole networking just broke. I needed to request IPMI to all servers (and with Hetzner it takes some time), diagnose this problems and found problem - netplan config added some values and that caused only vlan/private networking to be activated so I couldn't connect via public network.
    I also updated Debian dedis, they also had problem, but with dpkg. Solution was easy to find, cause in third link in Google I found someone someone that noticed that its caused by GRUB config that was modified by Hetzner.
    So yesterday I needed to fix all my dedis. 4 hours to fix in middle of the night.

If you don't require maximum performance just get shared hosting.

And if you like to experiment and spend free time, maybe get cheap dedi, play with Proxmox? Instead of worrying about productions servers...

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@AXYZE said:
    @vitobotta if this e-commerce doesn't have more than 10k visitors per day just get shared hosting from MyW, RackNerd or even BuyShared.

You pay more for VPS, yet you cannot match CloudLinux with KernelCare, paid WAF with machine learning/based on honeypots and if you won't have much time they help you with WP/mail problems.

I get that you like to experiment, but I know where it will end - too much things to manage, too much things to break.

Yesterday after maintenance and reboot all my Ubuntu dedis were dead, whole networking just broke. I needed to request IPMI to all servers (and with Hetzner it takes some time), diagnose this problems and found problem - netplan config added some values and that caused only vlan/private networking to be activated so I couldn't connect via public network.
    I also updated Debian dedis, they also had problem, but with dpkg. Solution was easy to find, cause in third link in Google I found someone someone that noticed that its caused by GRUB config that was modified by Hetzner.
    So yesterday I needed to fix all my dedis. 4 hours to fix in middle of the night.

And if you like to experiment and spend free time, maybe get cheap dedi, play with Proxmox? Instead of worrying about productions servers...

Unless I need something special, I find shared housing adequate.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @AXYZE said:

One of the reasons I switched to Shared Hosting from VPS is that I not only found it more convenient (peace of mind), but also do you save on license costs (e.g. CloudLinux, DA/cPanel, JetApps, Mailbaby/Mailchannels, WAF etc included..). What's more, a vps does not perform better than decent shared hosting (BuyShared, MyW, Ramnode) out of the box. Sure, with some optimization and management you can achieve similar/better results than shared hosting, but especially when your site doesn't have that many visitors, there's a good chance you're just better (and cheaper) off with shared hosting.

• @wuck said:

@edrebe said:
    Wishosting -> use OpenNebula, OVH, $13.99 /m

Thats a lot of cpu cores I guess

Warning: NVMe is not in a RAID in this offer.

• I can't believe you are suggesting to go back to shared hosting, which is something I haven't used in perhaps 15 years or more. I don't want any of the limitations that come from shared hosting. Also a dedicated server is overkill for this. The VPS I bought looks perfect so far.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited February 2023

@vitobotta said:
    I can't believe you are suggesting to go back to shared hosting, which is something I haven't used in perhaps 15 years or more. I don't want any of the limitations that come from shared hosting. Also a dedicated server is overkill for this. The VPS I bought looks perfect so far.

Why you cannot believe and what limitations? Please elaborate.

"something I haven't used in perhaps 15 years or more"
    15 years ago we had 2-4 cores in server CPUs and HDDs that were 10-200x slower, Apache was dominant and slow as fuck before Event MPM, no shared hosting could cache page generation. Only real way to cache was to setup Varnish on VPS/dedi.
    So 15 years old servers not only had 5x more load than now (because there was no caching), but also these servers were just like 100x+ slower because HDDs were pegged 24/7.
    It's a complete other story today.

Thanked by 4mrTom jar bruh21 nick_
  • @Ympker said:
    One of the reasons I switched to Shared Hosting from VPS is that I not only found it more convenient (peace of mind), but also do you save on license costs (e.g. CloudLinux, DA/cPanel, JetApps, Mailbaby/Mailchannels, WAF etc included..).

If you need/want a shitload of panels to administer everything from, then I agree, shared hosting is probably better/cheaper.
    If you host everything yourself and configure it from cli, go with a vps. I would say that you do not need to buy a single license to setup a web shop if you do it yourself.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • I had to comment on this one unfortunely.
    Recommending shared hosting to someone who knows and has vps and dedicated servers...
    It's the same situation as pc monitors, once you go 144hz, why would you go back to the trash 60hz?
    In this case, why would you go back to shared hosting?
    You must have a very special shared hosting, as all the ones I know limit IOPS, cpu usage, etc.
    Just don't, please.

• Why you cannot believe and what limitations? Please elaborate.

Do I need to write the difference between owning your own dedicated server and virtualizing it versus purchasing ready-made VPSs elsewhere or using shared hosting?

They can reduce resources at any time and harm your business, and sometimes you may not even notice it.

• @rcy026 said:

@Ympker said:
    One of the reasons I switched to Shared Hosting from VPS is that I not only found it more convenient (peace of mind), but also do you save on license costs (e.g. CloudLinux, DA/cPanel, JetApps, Mailbaby/Mailchannels, WAF etc included..).

If you need/want a shitload of panels to administer everything from, then I agree, shared hosting is probably better/cheaper.
    If you host everything yourself and configure it from cli, go with a vps. I would say that you do not need to buy a single license to setup a web shop if you do it yourself.

While you don't have to go the panel way (cli, ee, centminmod etc is just fine), personally I find it more convenient to have a panel to manage multiple (client) accounts. Then again, that's personal preference.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2023

@Rosebelle said:
    I had to comment on this one unfortunely.
    Recommending shared hosting to someone who knows and has vps and dedicated servers...
    It's the same situation as pc monitors, once you go 144hz, why would you go back to the trash 60hz?
    In this case, why would you go back to shared hosting?
    You must have a very special shared hosting, as all the ones I know limit IOPS, cpu usage, etc.
    Just don't, please.

It’s a shame that people see it this way. Like it’s some weird backwards step that never makes sense. But sometimes people took that “forward” step into a VPS or dedi that didn’t need to, and ended up spending way more time and money than their content was worth.

Same for that 144hz monitor. It may be hard for you to go back to 60hz. But what about the person who convinced your grandma to buy a 144hz monitor when all she does is fill out a grocery list in Notepad? It doesn’t mean that a 60hz monitor is an offensive downgrade that she should never consider when replacing it. It just means someone gave her a bad recommendation to make an upgrade she didn’t need.

One should never be obligated to always purchase what they purchased previously or something with greater technical specifications at all times. There are more considerations that should go into things than just “Hulk smash. Hulk must smash harder.” And I’m not even getting started on all of the waste produced by the cultural trend of always over buying everything.

Bottom line is you should buy what you need, and sometimes that is actually less than you bought last time. So be open to the idea, if it’s really about getting what you need. Give the leftover money to someone who needs it.

Side note: if it’s good shared hosting a cheap VPS or dedi can actually be a downgrade. A shell account on a powerful box usually outperforms a $5 DO droplet, for example. There’s a ton of bad shared hosting providers but there’s a ton of bad VPS providers too.

• @vitobotta said: The configs/prices look better on Server factory

AMD EPYC 7452
    2 dedicated cores
    Up to 3.35 GHz
    10 GB DDR4-RAM (ECC)
    80 GB NVMe memory
    1 GBit / s connection
    Traffic for free
    € 9.99

This would be better and cheaper for your shop, also it will be overkill. If your shop is not too big you are throwing 17 euros for idling server.

• @emperor said:

@vitobotta said: The configs/prices look better on Server factory

AMD EPYC 7452
    2 dedicated cores
    Up to 3.35 GHz
    10 GB DDR4-RAM (ECC)
    80 GB NVMe memory
    1 GBit / s connection
    Traffic for free
    € 9.99

This would be better and cheaper for your shop, also it will be overkill. If your shop is not too big you are throwing 17 euros for idling server.

which provider is that?

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emperoremperor Member
    edited February 2023

@vitobotta said:

@loay said:
    Why not netcup or php-friends?

The configs/prices look better on Server factory

Its php-friends

• @emperor said:

@vitobotta said:

@loay said:
    Why not netcup or php-friends?

The configs/prices look better on Server factory

Its php-friends

80 GB of storage is too small due to the pictures in the shop. With the server I have now I have 200 and can easily increase the storage from the CP without upgrading the whole server

• hiphiphip0hiphiphip0 Member
    edited February 2023

Do you know how to selectively regenerate thumbnails in Prestashop?
    In my memory, PrestaShop's page generation time is faster than WooCommerce but hard to use.
    But even WooCommerce can't match Shopify in a lot of areas.
    For example, users could not even bulk remove products' belonging category in Woo. If you want to add 7 colors and 5 sizes for a variation product and set different pics for colors, it would take 35 set actions, while in Shopify only 7.
    Shopify is like the golden standard in eCommerce, other solutions even market their product using a "Shopify style checkout page" slogan.

Maybe log the working flow before migrating to Prestashop.

For the shared hosting enough and VPS better debate, I have reseller hosting in both Buyshared, Myw and Racknerd, they are notifiable slow and unstable compared with VPS. I feel that shared hosting maybe faster than reseller hosting because one website using Buyshared's shared is faster, but I can't say sure because the website is not made with WordPress like other websites.

• We all know that vitobotta gonna run shit ton of different apps and services there and he needs that freedom to tinker with those so VPS is the way for him :-)

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Ympker said:

@AXYZE said:

One of the reasons I switched to Shared Hosting from VPS is that I not only found it more convenient (peace of mind), but also do you save on license costs (e.g. CloudLinux, DA/cPanel, JetApps, Mailbaby/Mailchannels, WAF etc included..). What's more, a vps does not perform better than decent shared hosting (BuyShared, MyW, Ramnode) out of the box. Sure, with some optimization and management you can achieve similar/better results than shared hosting, but especially when your site doesn't have that many visitors, there's a good chance you're just better (and cheaper) off with shared hosting.

Imunify360 included now btw 😎

Thanked by 2cpsd Ympker