Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

V.PS Amsterdam Nano KVM VPS starting at €9.95/yr - Storage VPS Avaliable! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

V.PS Amsterdam Nano KVM VPS starting at €9.95/yr - Storage VPS Avaliable!

Comments

• Nowadays IRC servers are using masking where they hide the origin of your IP. I don't see anything bad happening if it was used with good networks. except EFnet or Undernet as they don't have masking at all

Thanked by 2Mumbly Carlin0
  • @SeederKun said:
    Nowadays IRC servers are using masking where they hide the origin of your IP. I don't see anything bad happening if it was used with good networks. except EFnet or Undernet as they don't have masking at all

Beside that no one really care for some irc bouncer even on the networks where hostname isn't masked. We're in 2023 not 2000...

Thanked by 2SeederKun Carlin0
  • This is a Chinese IDC under the name of a German company. This v.ps(maybe called xTom) is very good at suspending users' VPS for no reason, as well as inexplicably deleting users' accounts, and if you go to question, they will tell you that you have a violation, yet the truth is that you have done nothing.

Thanked by 1ask_seek_knock
  • @SeederKun said:
    Nowadays IRC servers are using masking where they hide the origin of your IP. I don't see anything bad happening if it was used with good networks. except EFnet or Undernet as they don't have masking at all

undernet has username.users.undernet.org, even IRCnet added a cloak

Thanked by 1SeederKun
  • @Mumbly said:

@SeederKun said:

Beside that no one really care for some irc bouncer even on the networks where hostname isn't masked. We're in 2023 not 2000...

@Mumbly there still are idiots around who ddos for no reason even in 2023, there still are ppl with no real life

Thanked by 1SeederKun
  • xTomxTom Member, Patron Provider

@keysadmin said:
    This is a Chinese IDC under the name of a German company. This v.ps(maybe called xTom) is very good at suspending users' VPS for no reason, as well as inexplicably deleting users' accounts, and if you go to question, they will tell you that you have a violation, yet the truth is that you have done nothing.

We never did that. We only suspend or ban accounts who was using fake profile (name or address) to place the order.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Mumbly said:

@SeederKun said:

It's still the Wild Wild West on some networks.

• @Mumbly said:

@SeederKun said:

if you are targeted they can DDoS you. some BNC providers got targeted recently and they had to ask for a special cloak @ Libera to avoid this problem so yeah it can attract DDoS if you allow anyone to use your BNC. I don't and I usually just stick to smaller networks where I want fruitful discussion. and using cloak/mask where possible

• @cold said:

@xTom said:

@Carlin0 said:
    IRC clients are allowed ?

Not allowed.

Hello, do you allow znc/irssi/webchat/ on your services ?
    regards
    2023/02/21 11:44

you don't, i just saw in your ToS, thanks anyways
    2023/02/21 11:49

Hello,
    yes, You can install thats client

Should you need any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Yours faithfully,

Hubert Lewandowski
    2023/02/21 12:08

@xTom what now ?
    @xTom hello ?

• @DP said:

@Mumbly said:

@SeederKun said:

It's still the Wild Wild West on some networks.

EFddoS :)

• @keysadmin said:
    This is a Chinese IDC under the name of a German company.

Interesting comment about China. Do you have more info? It does look like they were initially headquartered in Hong Kong. Right now, their headquarters are listed in Germany and Estonia. It looks like they were also an Alibaba cloud partner at some point in the past, but I don't know if they still are.

edited February 2023

@jlet88 said:

@keysadmin said:

Interesting comment about China. Do you have more info? It does look like they were initially headquartered in Hong Kong. Right now, their headquarters are listed in Germany and Estonia. It looks like they were also an Alibaba cloud partner at some point in the past, but I don't know if they still are.

No he doesn't have any more info. Our headquarter is in Germany and Australia. V.PS is operated by our Estonian company.

Yes we also have company in Hong Kong, the only related business to V.PS is the Hong Kong datacenter, the contract was signed by our Hong Kong company.

Our founders have immigrated to Australia. I don't know why he still thought we were a Chinese IDC.

• niknik Member, Host Rep

@jlet88 said:

@keysadmin said:

All information for German companies is public. You can check the documents who owns how many % of a company in the "Handelsregister".

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited February 2023

@cold said: there still are idiots around who ddos for no reason even in 2023, there still are ppl with no real life

@DP said: It's still the Wild Wild West on some networks.

@SeederKun said: if you are targeted they can DDoS you.

Yes, but this does not differ from any website, forum, blog... today. IRC nowaday is just a shade of what it was 20 years ago. Channel takeovers are reduced to zero even on those two major networks without services. Most of us old farts just idle on the channels.
    Today there's way bigger chance that my irc bouncer uptime suffer because of some "problematic" website on the same network than other way around.

On the other hand I don't mind if host who's mentally stucked somewhere in 2000 or isn't even familiar with irc still forbid private irc usage as that's maybe one out of twenty LEB vps hosts and I have more than enough choice to pick something within my needs.

Thanked by 2Carlin0 SeederKun
  • @Mumbly said:

@cold said: there still are idiots around who ddos for no reason even in 2023, there still are ppl with no real life

@DP said: It's still the Wild Wild West on some networks.

@SeederKun said: if you are targeted they can DDoS you.

Yes, but this does not differ from any website, forum, blog... today. IRC nowaday is just a shade of what it was 20 years ago. Channel takeovers are reduced to zero even on those two major networks without services. Most of us old farts just idle on the channels.
    Today there's way bigger chance that my irc bouncer uptime suffer because of some "problematic" website on the same network than other way around.

On the other hand I don't mind if host who's mentally stucked somewhere in 2000 or isn't even familiar with irc still forbid private irc usage as that's maybe one out of twenty LEB vps hosts and I have more than enough choice to pick something within my needs.

you are right ! as always ;)
    but providers are still afraid... some... not all

Thanked by 1Mumbly
  • @cold said: you are right ! as always

Is this sarcasm? Better not be! >:)

• @Mumbly said:

@cold said: you are right ! as always

Is this sarcasm? Better not be! >:)

NO SIR !!! I'm dead serious !!!! you know me !!!!!

• @cold said: I'm dead serious !!!! you know me !!!!!

• hyperblasthyperblast Member
    edited February 2023

@nik said:

@jlet88 said:

@keysadmin said:

All information for German companies is public. You can check the documents who owns how many % of a company in the "Handelsregister".

here we go. official documents from handelsregister.de

Hello,

Can you please delete the post?

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3625858/#Comment_3625858

My personal address and name was disclosed.

your wish is my command (for once)

some files deleted

what is the problem? the founder seems to be chinese.

Thanked by 2Mumbly jlet88
    edited February 2023

@hyperblast said:

@nik said:

@jlet88 said:

@keysadmin said:

here we go. official documents from handelsregister.de

what is the problem? the founder seems to be chinese.

The home address is not up-to-date, I have already contacted our lawyer to update the address.

Thanked by 1hyperblast
  • again, what's the problem? a chinese guy is seriously founding a company (among others) in germany...

@hyperblast said:
    again, what's the problem? a chinese guy is seriously founding a company (among others) in germany...

It shouldn't be a problem, it's legal in Germany and I can get a self-employment visa with my company. But something has changed and now I have immigrated to Australia.

• @xTom said:

@hyperblast said:
    again, what's the problem? a chinese guy is seriously founding a company (among others) in germany...

It shouldn't be a problem, it's legal in Germany and I can get a self-employment visa with my company. But something has changed and now I have immigrated to Australia.

the question was not so much directed at you xtom, but rather at others here.

@hyperblast said: the question was not so much directed at you xtom, but rather at others here.

Sometimes some customers don't like companies from their own countries, or even the founder is originally from it.

Thanked by 1ask_seek_knock
  • @xTom said:

@hyperblast said: the question was not so much directed at you xtom, but rather at others here.

Sometimes some customers don't like companies from their own countries, or even the founder is originally from it.

Not any country, it's red China.
    As long as the price is cheap enough, I guess most people will take it.

Thanked by 1xTom
  • @hyperblast said:

I can't speak for other people, but I'm personally interested in transparency and the jurisdiction of a company, depending on the project and client needs. That matters to some people. Nothing against a person from a different country, but the laws of a country do indeed make a difference, especially in something like IT services. If that doesn't matter to you, no problem. If you want to learn why it might matter to you, then you need to read up on the laws of different jurisdictions and decide if you care about the issue.

For example, if you are hosting a website on a company's servers, and let's say something like email, then you are subject to the laws of the relevant jurisdiction(s). And some jurisdictions have literally NO privacy protections, while other jurisdictions have STRONG privacy protections. For some clients, that would be very important to know. Some clients would definitely be required to have fully GDPR compliant services, for example. There are lots of examples.

For me, as long as they are transparent and their services legitimately are in jurisdictions I'm personally interested in, I don't care about the owner's original nationality.

However, if I see a company that has a headquarters in Germany and says it follows GDPR and specifically cites German Civil Code in its TOS, but then has a subsidiary in Estonia and then someone also says Australia, and then someone also says China, that's confusing, right? So what is the actual jurisdiction? It's not an attack on anyone. Just a question. Just be up front about all that. If it doesn't matter to you as a customer, then that's fine. But it definitely matters to some people.

As it turns out, seems like the owner of xTom has moved headquarters before. Sounds like an interesting story, and I'm sure it's complicated. And the xTom owner doesn't need to explain anything if he doesn't want to, but when I see his TOS talks about German law, but the VPS service is headquartered in Estonia, and the owner says he immigrated to Australia, and old versions of the website (check Internet Archive) show Hong Kong, and the old TOS mentions US law (not German law), it's slightly confusing. No big deal for some people. If it doesn't matter to you, then don't worry about it.

But if I were to consider using xTom's services, I'd need a bit more clarity. But no worries. There are plenty of people who don't care about things like that and I'm sure they'll be perfectly happy not asking a single question. This is not a criticism of xTom, I wish him and his customers much happiness and lots of uptime.

• edited February 2023

@jlet88
    What you said is reasonable and accurate. Very good.

And xTom is good too, because the offer is attractive, which I wish to be cheaper.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • @ask_seek_knock said:
    @jlet88
    What you said is reasonable and accurate. Very good.

And xTom is good too, because the offer is attractive, which I wish to be cheaper.

Strictly speaking of price and specs alone, the xTom offer is indeed a good price and attractive, and the reason why I even opened up this thread.

I wish @xTom success in his business, but I personally would have liked more transparency about the issue I mentioned. For me, questions remain, but I don't want to distract any more from @xTom's efforts to market his services.

There's enough info here for people to make up their own minds and do their own due diligence based on their needs. And kudos to @xTom for offering a good BF-level price. I hope it works great for the customers that sign up.

@jlet88 said: As it turns out, seems like the owner of xTom has moved headquarters before. Sounds like an interesting story, and I'm sure it's complicated. And the xTom owner doesn't need to explain anything if he doesn't want to, but when I see his TOS talks about German law, but the VPS service is headquartered in Estonia, and the owner says he immigrated to Australia, and old versions of the website (check Internet Archive) show Hong Kong, and the old TOS mentions US law (not German law), it's slightly confusing. No big deal for some people. If it doesn't matter to you, then don't worry about it.

We have migrated our headquarters and have not used our US company for years, you may still see the old versions, but they are out of date.

For V.PS customers, they are doing business with our Estonian company, and the ToS and laws are from Estonia and Europe.

Thanks for your suggestion, we will focus on improving the quality of our services.

• Hey ho, is Windows installation possible?