Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

End of an Era: Linode Brand Retired - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

End of an Era: Linode Brand Retired

2»

Comments

• Finally I could afford something from Akamai

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Can someone please tell me how you spend so much (massively overvalued multiplier) on Linode only to put it out to pasture?

The value of the customers did not justify the purchase price... so did they use the brand value to make up the difference as part of their financial analysis? If so, fine, but then why this move now?

Confused...

• @jbiloh said: Can someone please tell me how you spend so much (massively overvalued multiplier) on Linode only to put it out to pasture?

Much like other companies who get purchased not for their brand-name, but perhaps assets. Think IPs, or established cloud infrastructure in Linode's case. One comes to mind you might know...

They never paid well (to the point of avoiding interviewing) and never really innovated. Say what you want about other providers, but Vultr, etc. all innovated (BGP, etc.)

Akamai isn't interested in $5 customers or the Linode, they'll slowly onboard enterprise type customers to the infrastructure.

Virgin America was one of the top brands when it came to low-fare flights in the US, but it made more sense for Alaska to absorb them rather than continue to operate a separate airline catering to a niche audience. Bought just for the assets and routes.

Same thing, less airplanes.

• @Francisco said:

@treesmokah said: DO is shit, and I would not have sex with it.

Sex with communists is generally frowned upon and should be banned outright.

Francisco

Well... You know how some people are saying fuck communism... How else are you supposed to do it?

• @HalfEatenPie said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Well... You know how some people are saying fuck communism... How else are you supposed to do it?

having sex is dangerous to our "democracy".

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited February 2023

@jbiloh said:
    Can someone please tell me how you spend so much (massively overvalued multiplier) on Linode only to put it out to pasture?

The value of the customers did not justify the purchase price... so did they use the brand value to make up the difference as part of their financial analysis? If so, fine, but then why this move now?

Confused...

It was a strategic acquisition. They outlined it a bit further in their 10-Q filing (Section 6 and spread throughout their filing) and it seems they're valuing the technology Linode built and trained technical workforce as major assets they purchased and are expecting the synergies between Linode and Akamai. It also seems Akamai is looking at Linode to help support the continued growth of their computing business.

With the recent acquisition of Linode, we are focused on investing in our suite of compute products to expand our customer base, global presence and technological capabilities in this area. Success in these efforts will largely depend on our ability to create products that are competitive in the enterprise market, source additional co-location facilities and manage an uncertain supply chain for server related hardware. Failure to develop, on a cost-effective basis, innovative new or enhanced solutions that are attractive to customers and profitable to us could have a material detrimental effect on our business, results of operations, financial condition and cash flows.

So the value isn't in the customers or their brand, granted I'm sure it played a role in their assessment. The value is rather in Linode's tech. I mean it's a bit more involved than install SolusVM and WHMCS right.

• @treesmokah said:

@HalfEatenPie said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

having sex is dangerous to our "democracy".

Get tested.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Linode also had the Linode Library and I remember bookmarking numerous tutorials there back in the day.

• @raindog308 said:
    Linode also had the Linode Library and I remember bookmarking numerous tutorials there back in the day.

If you feel like its still useful and feel like Akamai will take it down;
    https://archive.ph/, https://web.archive.org/, https://ghostarchive.org/
    archive it :)

• Softlayer was gobbled up for double the price nearly 10 years ago to create IBM's cloud. I have to imagine Linode, despite the brand recognition among tech folks, must have been significantly smaller. Also IBM was/is still massive.

• @raindog308 said:

I believe DO has surpassed Linode Library imho.

• I must agree that regarding tutorials, DO is doing better.

Hope that Akamai will not retire low-cost tiers so that lots of us do not need to move away from the "old" Linode infra.

• @Francisco said:

Francisco

Protip: don't ask.

• @nhocconan said:
    Hope that Akamai will not retire low-cost tiers so that lots of us do not need to move away from the "old" Linode infra.

Akamai itself is going through tough times now. So there is not a small chance that they will follow Linode

• @nhocconan said:
    I must agree that regarding tutorials, DO is doing better.

They fired everyone who writes them recently.

• In my experience if you spend enough time in the tech industry sooner or later your workplace will be swallowed up by an unlikely company. Currently a large chunk of the tech industry has heavily relied upon cloud services, if Akamai didn't buy Linode it would of been another company as consolidation is bound to happen as someone will want to compete with AWS or Azure.
    Akamai is likely going in the same direction of IBM by trying to grow their enterprise market.

From what I've seen on Twitter from various developers, when Digital Ocean fired their tutorials staff there is going to be a big shuffle of customers jumping to other providers. Originally I was going to rely upon DO but I'm looking elsewhere as a result.