Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

End of an Era: Linode Brand Retired
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

End of an Era: Linode Brand Retired

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
edited February 2023 in General

Akamai announced they're retiring the Linode brand:

"Over the next few months, you’ll notice some cosmetic changes to your Linode experience — such as seeing the Akamai logo where the Linode logo appeared."

Comments

• RIP!

Thanked by 2greentea jazzii
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Wonder how long it'll take before the corporate price increases.

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

Such an iconic brand, sad to see it go.

• Is it really sad? They were/is brand which refused to modernize, innovate. DO, Vultr expanded, adapted to market and their niches. Linode missed chance and was pushed out from that segment. And before akamai taking it over - they were drifting with the flow without any clear identity of what they are and how they differ from competitors.

Rex mortuus est, vivat rex!

Thanked by 1Kris
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2023

@LTniger said: Is it really sad? They were/is brand which refused to modernize, innovate.

They are still associated with quality and long-time reliability. If they decided to finally go for all those things, they'd have a nice boost from the acclaimed brand. But maybe it's mostly known among those who remember Linode's heyday, and maybe they estimated that it's not a huge share of the current customer base after all.

Thanked by 2Lee Logano
  • @raindog308 said: Akamai announced they're retiring the Linode brand:

"Over the next few months, you’ll notice some cosmetic changes to your Linode experience — such as seeing the Akamai logo where the Linode logo appeared."

Indeed it is the end of an era. Linode is one of my favourite VPS hosts. Their resilient disk storage layer and ability to quickly clone and migrate VPS from one host node to another at a click of a button is in my opinion unmatched. It's a big factor that sometimes wins out over newer modern CPUs on offer. But with Akamai's backing the modernization and new CPUs on offer + that resilient disk storage layer = WIN !

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2023

I’ll be sad to see it go. I always felt like the Linode brand itself stood in the way of what it could be, but it also made it what it was. It never seemed an inviting brand to the average person, its name was very much the kind that belonged on LET with the hobbyists: Linux + Node.

But I enjoyed that about it. It was like the small time VPS host that made it big.

Thanked by 2Hassan waynechris
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2023

@jar said: It never seemed an inviting brand to the average person

As opposed to others such as... Vultr?

"Linux Node" is a very contrived description of it in any case, if you wouldn't tell people, nobody would figure out that meaning on their own. Isn't it even retro-fitted? And again, Linode as a word is not any worse than some "Scaleway" or "Akamai", whatever that means.

I don’t think Vultr or Scaleway are doing better than Linode so if you want to haggle over my feelings on the name, feel free to extend it to those. Akamai is doing a lot better, for entirely different reasons.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@jar said: I don’t think Vultr or Scaleway are doing better than Linode

and then there's DO.

Francisco

Thanked by 2jar dedotatedwam
  • @Francisco said:

and then there's DO.

Francisco

I think the Best name is CatalystHost

Catalyst your Host by CatalystHost!

Damn that sounds good.

@Francisco said: and then there's DO.

I'm surprised that the first comment jumps right into calling it greed. I'd call it way over hiring for years, always knowing it was going to catch up to them one day. I mean hell, they probably hired someone to manage the person who picks out snacks for the break room.

• @jar said:

@Francisco said: and then there's DO.

I'm surprised that the first comment jumps right into calling it greed. I'd call it way over hiring for years, always knowing it was going to catch up to them one day. I mean hell, they probably hired someone to manage the person who picks out snacks for the break room.

The entire tech sector is doing mass layoffs. But yeah, there was a massive hiring craze as demand for these services increased significantly. Now with projections of current economic conditions and uncertainty they're taking the more financially conservative route.

It sucks. I had a meeting with a client and they were like "So to put it out there, we just went through a series of layoffs. We don't know what's going to happen in the future but we're continuing to push forward".

Funny thing though is that now there are individual companies focused on handling the "picking out snacks for break rooms". So all your company needs to do is just hire them and they'll deal with it. Once you want to quit you can just not renew that contract and poof.

Reggie from Accounting has to start making the morning coffee again.

Thanked by 1jar
  • so sad 😢 image

@jar said: first comment jumps right into calling it greed.

I mean, you were in the meeting about Alex Jones. The Ree's were no doubt deafening. You're surprised a bunch of communists jumped to greed as the problem?

Francisco

Thanked by 1jar
  • I remember getting my first vps at their Newark location way back. Hadnt heard about the takeover but they really just sat on the brand and didnt budge after making it big

• I'm actually getting excited about creating CDN instances on the Linode dashboard!

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited February 2023

@Francisco said:

and then there's DO.

Francisco

DO is shit, and I would not have sex with it.

@HalfEatenPie said:

@Francisco said:

and then there's DO.

Francisco

I think the Best name is CatalystHost

Catalyst your Host by CatalystHost!

Damn that sounds good.

Hard to pass.

• @rm_ said:

They are still associated with quality and long-time reliability.

Definitely. 6+ years of paying them $12.50/mo. and not a single hitch.

• RIP Linode brand. I was their customer in their HDD era when there was no Digitalocean and vultr and clouds like aws, google, etc.
    This cosmetic changes occur when big companies buy and eat their competitors. Recently Godaddy announced end of Mediatemple, and also Uniregistry and both sites will shut down and customers migrated to Godaddy platform and all services too.

Thanked by 1dusst
  • I mean, Akamai is also prem.
    I believe all current Linode customers should be happy under Akamai.

• @treesmokah said:
    I mean, Akamai is also prem.

The main problem here is the price after rebranding. Akamai is catered towards mega corporations, like oracle. So, your 7$ vps will transform to 125$ with 24 months commitment because now you are with akamai.

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited February 2023

@LTniger said:

@treesmokah said:
    I mean, Akamai is also prem.

The main problem here is the price after rebranding. Akamai is catered towards mega corporations, like oracle. So, your 7$ vps will transform to 125$ with 24 months commitment because now you are with akamai.

I think Akamai wanted to get in to more "affordable market".
    This Linode or whatever they will call it later on, will be for everyone.

And these mega corpos will stay and use their "giga commerical" offering.

But that's me, we'll see how it goes.
    I kinda hope they do it like I said, Akamai quality for a "normal" price?

I see no other reason for them to purchase Linode - it was heavily marketed for "hobbyists" and small companies.

@treesmokah said: DO is shit, and I would not have sex with it.

Sex with communists is generally frowned upon and should be banned outright.

Francisco

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2023

@LTniger said:
    Is it really sad? They were/is brand which refused to modernize, innovate. DO, Vultr expanded, adapted to market and their niches. Linode missed chance and was pushed out from that segment. And before akamai taking it over - they were drifting with the flow without any clear identity of what they are and how they differ from competitors.

I feel like Linode is still/was very popular. Pretty much most people I know who aren't technical use Linode as their "go-to" hosting providers. I liked them a lot.

They used very modern & respectable processors, had insane 10-40 Gbit inbound uplinks, and more.

• @Advin said:

@LTniger said:
    Is it really sad? They were/is brand which refused to modernize, innovate. DO, Vultr expanded, adapted to market and their niches. Linode missed chance and was pushed out from that segment. And before akamai taking it over - they were drifting with the flow without any clear identity of what they are and how they differ from competitors.

I feel like Linode is still/was very popular. Pretty much most people I know who aren't technical use Linode as their "go-to" hosting providers. I liked them a lot.

They used very modern & respectable processors, had insane 10-40 Gbit inbound uplinks, and more.

Linode is far more dificult to navigate vs do or vultr. More clicks. At least as I remember. For technical savory user they are top tier.

I guess akamai took them as they don't offer vps servers. So entered market with big foot.

• @LTniger said: Linode is far more dificult to navigate vs do or vultr. More clicks. At least as I remember. For technical savory user they are top tier.

I started with Vultr (really happy about it untill I found way cheaper options) because Linode needed a CC, only had paypal at that time.

• @Francisco said:

@treesmokah said: DO is shit, and I would not have sex with it.

Sex with communists is generally frowned upon and should be banned outright.

Francisco

• denellumdenellum Member, Host Rep

I still want my stallion shirt that's the same gray color as my linode shirt from @Francisco

• Welcome to Akamai Cloud ~