Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[MXroute] Email Hosting - I got mad - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[MXroute] Email Hosting - I got mad

124»

Comments

• @jlet88 said:

@jar said:
    I personally consume huge amounts of data every day and I can’t always tell you with certainty how that data is going to inform my actions tomorrow.

The perfect reason why most people should never try to self-host email.

I always amend that to outgoing mail. If you can keep a domain fairly clean from spam, incoming mail will not be a problem.

• emgemg Veteran
    edited February 2023

@HalfEatenPie said: Because let's be honest, for every one person who went through the initial troubleshooting process and figured they need elevated support, there are probably 10 others who said they restarted the computer but really didn't.

This is a thought that never occurred to me - the possibility that people mislead or deliberately lie to the support person. It seems to be at cross-purposes and self-defeating, but I don't doubt it.

As annoying as it may be to play along with the support people and their scripts, I am patient and polite with them. I do what they ask (within reason) to allow them to conclude that I understand the problem and have done all the basic troubleshooting, and the best solution is to escalate to the next tier of support.

• @emg said:

@HalfEatenPie said: Because let's be honest, for every one person who went through the initial troubleshooting process and figured they need elevated support, there are probably 10 others who said they restarted the computer but really didn't.

This is a thought that never occurred to me - the possibility that people mislead or deliberately lie to the support person. It seems to be at cross-purposes and self-defeating, but I don't doubt it.

As annoying as it may be to play along with the support people and their scripts, I am patient and polite with them. I do what they ask (within reason) to allow them to conclude that I understand the problem and have done all the basic troubleshooting, and the best solution is to escalate to the next tier of support.

Just like how many army regulations or policies are coded in blood (as in even the most obvious things are labeled because someone somewhere probably did something not-as-smart). Every L1 IT Support request and script is written because stupid shit.

"I restarted the computer" may also mean they just turned the monitor off and on. Others can be more technically challenged so might not fully understand what "Does it POST?" mean. etc.

There are some active malice in it but also just plain "not knowing". C'est la vie.

Thanked by 1emg