Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[MXroute] Email Hosting - I got mad - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[MXroute] Email Hosting - I got mad

Comments

• @ralf said:

His mail got rejected because it now his IP range has been backlisted due to spam. That's what's supposed to happen. If he'd sent his mail properly in the first place, it'd still be getting delivered.

Yay it looks like we found a gap in mxroute. It accepts unsecure mails from hundreds of happy servers like mine now. May be we need to report that.

And now i see what i missed , i could send spam from my other non-b"lacklisted" hosts. But i'm too late ( silly me (

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited February 2023

@dusst said:

@ralf said:

His mail got rejected because it now his IP range has been backlisted due to spam. That's what's supposed to happen. If he'd sent his mail properly in the first place, it'd still be getting delivered.

Yay it looks like we found a gap in mxroute. It accepts unsecure mails from hundreds of happy servers like mine now. May be we need to report that.

And now i see what i missed , i could send spam from my other non-b"lacklisted" hosts. But i'm too late ( silly me (

And now it's obvious that you're just in it because you're pissed... either that or you just don't understand how email works.

K then.

You're an idiot then lol.

• theres mail.baby, might be a good fit ;)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@CheepCluck said:
    theres mail.baby, might be a good fit ;)

Hey now, @interservermike is good people, don't do him like that :lol:

• @HalfEatenPie said:
    Oh boy is an idiom: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/oh_boy I wasn't calling you a boy. It's basically saying "there's a lot here to try and answer that question so I'm not going to."

i'm not injured and to finish this discussion and as you like wiki there is a very famous idiom from a soviet-classic book and movie

there a man in black hat is the "boy" (with a child ticket) of a man in a scarf. the controller said "he is not a boy". And got a reply that he can hit the man in scarf if the man in hat is a girl.

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Sometimes the smartest money you can make is by not taking it. Rarely do you see that lesson so perfectly and concisely illustrated.

• Going out on a limb here and assuming @jar is right handed, but his left hand contains a mouse hovering over a refund button at all times! Dare him to press it.

Thanked by 3jar Erisa greentea
  • hyperblasthyperblast Member
    edited February 2023

@jar said:
    Not a problem at all. Happy to refund your invoice and part ways. If you'll be happier elsewhere, and I'll be happier with you elsewhere, that sounds like a win-win to me.

if you'll pardon my saying so, but this "argument" (drivel) isn't effective and unfortunately you hear it more and more often. i would have hoped for a professional answer.

edit: professional answers followed. i have read them on the preceding two pages. well done!

Thanked by 1greentea
  • I'm always so happy reading this kind of thread, a lot of kind people are trying to tell the noob the right way to resolve his problem, but the noob just won't listen. Through this kind of threads I normally learnt more about a specific problem.

Thanked by 3kait greentea intermall
  • @jlet88 said:
    The big mistake that @dusst made is basically about unrealistic expectations for what $XX was going to buy him, and I mean this respectfully to all parties that think they are buying a golden throne for a LET BF special.

Not really. It's not a money issue, it's a "you're doing it wrong" issue. Gmail doesn't give me the ability to whitelist single IP's AFAIK.

Higher paid services generally have competent people buying the service who wouldn't be in this situation. He's not an admin or IT person.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

@dusst said:
    new facts by now

My account was suspended and for "negative value" so i need to add some "positive": they give me a time to move out till March 31 and I got back my ten bucks =) . I'm even pleasantly surprised

And of course I'm not very glad as I need to spend some time to re-config. Anyway they required for me to re-config because it was not working.

Unfortunately I have some more accounts there via resellers that I also need to reconfig. But in these cases without pleasant refund =(

Oh boy, you are wasting your time here. You don't like it then move away and be done with it. And If you want to reason, nobody will listen because in the realm of G O D @jar, if you ask anything which is non-standard as per his rules, he will show you doors and will feel proud about it and boast his achievements publicly. And yes, here everybody will support him no matter what.

And also I have only gone through first few post but rest of the story is clear without even reading.

Thanked by 2Mumbly dusst

I’m going to have to start selling salt as a side job.

• @jar said:

Just be a peddler and start selling scented oils maybe you can keep everyone happy by doing this. Well jokes aside i don't think there is any point continuing this thread any further.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Saahib said:

@dusst said:
    new facts by now

My account was suspended and for "negative value" so i need to add some "positive": they give me a time to move out till March 31 and I got back my ten bucks =) . I'm even pleasantly surprised

And of course I'm not very glad as I need to spend some time to re-config. Anyway they required for me to re-config because it was not working.

Unfortunately I have some more accounts there via resellers that I also need to reconfig. But in these cases without pleasant refund =(

Oh boy, you are wasting your time here. You don't like it then move away and be done with it. And If you want to reason, nobody will listen because in the realm of G O D @jar, if you ask anything which is non-standard as per his rules, he will show you doors and will feel proud about it and boast his achievements publicly. And yes, here everybody will support him no matter what.

And also I have only gone through first few post but rest of the story is clear without even reading.

Useless post. Why so butthurt with jar?

Thanked by 1jar
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

I really need to learn email ... all this is gibberish to me but I must say I have always hated having to understand email and there blacklists.

Thanked by 2jar TimRoo
  • PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

@jar show us your DD’s!

Thanked by 1jar

@PieHasBeenEaten said:
    @jar show us your DD’s!

You won't like them right now :joy:

root@rescue ~ # dd if=/dev/nvme0n1 of=/dev/nvme1n1 bs=1024k status=progress
    163036790784 bytes (163 GB, 152 GiB) copied, 985 s, 166 MB/s

• @jar said:

$7, per a pound or per a pallet?

Thanked by 1jar
  • I'll admit I don't understand every detail in this thread, but I run an incoming home mail server and use MXRoute for outgoing mail (and incoming on one domain), so I'm at least a beginner+. I know my first instinct seeing the main post of 1) only sending out mail, and 2) doing it on a VPS just screams spam, regardless of their intentions.

Something tells me MXRoute rejecting email will not be the last time they're rejected. I know IP reputation can be improved, but I'm guessing he's going to have to crawl out of the sewer on this one.

Thanked by 1jar
    edited February 2023

@TimRoo said: I'm guessing he's going to have to crawl out of the sewer on this one

Most people just do a blacklist check on mxtoolbox and consider that to be the authority on IP reputation, so it's a topic where you have an uphill climb trying to explain any of it to the average person. Even the average hobbyist / jr sysadmin ends up being on the same, oversimplified level.

I don't even mean to be cryptic about it, I can say what I mean: Blacklist checks won't tell you a thing about how the IP is viewed by Microsoft, Google, AT&T, or Verizon. Combined, those 4 account for a lot more common mail services than people often think (including AOL, Yahoo, etc).

Thanked by 3adly TimRoo Erisa
  • srch07srch07 Member
    edited February 2023

What I don't understand is, why can't the user open port 25 for SMTPD (not SMTP), and set rDNS for few days, get things resolved and then close port 25 off later instead of all this fiasco.

GreenCloud have always configured for us rDNS within an hour. And opening port 25 for SMTPD is a one minute task.

The method of MXRBL may not be ideal, but if you want to use a service, you just need to follow their rules.
    We had to put company owner's identity public for us to get whitelisted at t-online, even though we didn't want to.

I personally don't like the data collected by Facebook and Google, but if I want to use their service, I need to follow their rule.

Thanked by 1jar
    edited February 2023

@srch07 said:
    What I don't understand is, why can't the user open port 25 for SMTPD (not SMTP), and set rDNS for few days, get things resolved and then close port 25 off later instead of all this fiasco.

To make sure I continue to be clear, opening port 25 isn’t a requirement. My workflow goes like this:

1. PTR? If yes, check that domain isn’t known for spam, usually whitelist right there. If no, negative mark.

2. Telnet to 25. Check the host name it identifies itself as. If can’t connect, negative mark.

Neither is inherently required to get a whitelisting. Sometimes I whitelist with no PTR because the telnet test reveals a host name that checks out and seems legit, so I whitelist and remind them to set PTR. If PTR checks out and the host name looks good, I usually don’t even progress to the telnet test.

If both tests come up dry I fall back on the reason the IP is in the list in the first place. If I feel the listing still has merit by default, and I have no new information to help me justify removing it, I say no (and why) and move to the next ticket.

A strict list of rules that I never deviate from isn’t very helpful when fighting spam, because the rules change every day. I personally consume huge amounts of data every day and I can’t always tell you with certainty how that data is going to inform my actions tomorrow.

Thanked by 2adly bikegremlin
  • @jar said:
    I personally consume huge amounts of data every day and I can’t always tell you with certainty how that data is going to inform my actions tomorrow.

The perfect reason why most people should never try to self-host email.

Thanked by 3jar kidrock TimRoo
  • This thread should be pinned and read from start to end.

I don't know why some people cannot admit and accept responsibility from their own mistakes. Isn't more fun if you learn something new everyday, especially for your own mistakes and then move on?

Maybe try it once in a while and feel good and not mad OP, or don't.

• @dT_Tb said:
    Isn't more fun if you learn something new everyday, especially for your own mistakes and then move on?

Words to live by.

• Title Update: I got mad at MXRoute cause I am Dumb.

• @TrK said:
    Title Update: I got mad at MXRoute cause I am Dumb.

and

PS. 1000 lemmings can't be wrong

• @jar said:

@ehhthing said: Another consideration is that lots of people use things like nodemailer for outbound emails, meaning they wouldn't even have a mailserver operating because they simply do not need to. Also, rDNS isn't configurable on many cloud networks especially if you're using ephemeral IP addresses.

Then. You. Don't. Send. Email. From. Those. Networks.

If you can't have forward confirmed reverse DNS, you need to be using an SMTP relay, not sending mail from your IP and telling everyone else it's their job to deal with your choice to run an improperly configured mail server.

@ehhthing said: You haven't addressed my solution of simply warning users before they purchase (perhaps in bold font).

No. I'm not going to warn users at signup that if they run their own mail servers independent of the mail service that I run, that they have to actually configure proper mail servers with proper configurations, and it's stupid of you to ask it of me.

Next you'll want me to warn them that they need a valid internet connection to check their mail...

You would be surprised.... ive had a call for "not working computer" (the users Internet wasn't working the computer was fine)

I've also had a user with a WiFi USB stick tell me she couldn't get on the Internet... the reason was she had no Internet she had cancelled it when she bought the WiFi usb stick (this wasn't the 4g type usb modem just a regular usb stick)

I also had a guy tell me the computer we sold him was rubbish because it wasn't working... went round and he was trying to turn it on with the cd eject button.. ... he kept calling up with the same issue and we eventually collected the equipment and gave him a refund (it wasn't worth the hassle from him anymore and he clearly didn't know what he was doing)

The problem with the world is common sense isn't actually that common (having a properly configured mail server is the requirement for getting mail delivered, sounds like it would be pretty much common sense) and some people will never learn

• emgemg Veteran

@chip said:
    You would be surprised.... ive had a call for "not working computer" (the users Internet wasn't working the computer was fine)

I've also had a user with a WiFi USB stick tell me she couldn't get on the Internet... the reason was she had no Internet she had cancelled it when she bought the WiFi usb stick (this wasn't the 4g type usb modem just a regular usb stick)

I also had a guy tell me the computer we sold him was rubbish because it wasn't working... went round and he was trying to turn it on with the cd eject button.. ... he kept calling up with the same issue and we eventually collected the equipment and gave him a refund (it wasn't worth the hassle from him anymore and he clearly didn't know what he was doing)

The problem with the world is common sense isn't actually that common (having a properly configured mail server is the requirement for getting mail delivered, sounds like it would be pretty much common sense) and some people will never learn

The inverse of that issue is calling for support after you have done extensive troubleshooting, read the manual six times, searched the internet extensively for relevant problems and solutions, then searched again using other search engines, etc.

By the time I call support, I may know more about the product and how it works than the support person, and find myself training THEM. I am forced to jump through all their irrelevant scripts like checking my hat size for a computer problem. (Is it plugged in? Yeah, I already said that the power indicator LED is lit. ...)

Thanked by 2jar adly
  • HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited February 2023

@emg said: The inverse of that issue is calling for support after you have done extensive troubleshooting, read the manual six times, searched the internet extensively for relevant problems and solutions, then searched again using other search engines, etc.

By the time I call support, I may know more about the product and how it works than the support person, and find myself training THEM. I am forced to jump through all their irrelevant scripts like checking my hat size for a computer problem. (Is it plugged in? Yeah, I already said that the power indicator LED is lit. ...)

Yes. I deal with this sometimes regularly with our support teams.

But at the end of the day, the person on the other end is just trying to make a living and is following instructions he/she was told to follow.

I was literally told by this team to escalate it directly to them and to ask L1 to do that. I did. L1 stuck to the script. Whatever, I'm sure they get a ton of heat from other people and I don't need to be another person ruining their day. It's just the way the cookie crumbles. I spent that time myself hoping that I'll just get it handled faster. If it didn't work, then I guess I have to deal with the support workflow... which often is more painful and slow than really it should be.

Because let's be honest, for every one person who went through the initial troubleshooting process and figured they need elevated support, there are probably 10 others who said they restarted the computer but really didn't.