Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[MXroute] Email Hosting - New Large Storage Plans!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[MXroute] Email Hosting - New Large Storage Plans!

jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Hey friends,

As an introduction to a long requested product, large storage email plans, I'd like to offer a pretty decent promotion on them. The TLDR version is that you can find the plans here: https://accounts.mxroute.com/index.php?/cart/mxroute-large-storage/

The promo code "STORAGE2023" will give you a 60% recurring discount.

MXroute is an email service provider that aims to break the industry of what I'm going to call price fixing. Whether an actual agreement exists or every large corporation just tries not to shake up the market too much, the end result is the same: The pricing models for email hosting are outdated, unfriendly, and downright terrible for people with a lot of domains or users. That's why we're challenging them and focusing almost entirely on the cost of storing the emails.

Another focus of MXroute is to tackle deliverability. Running your own mail server is great, and most people never have to deal with this, but finding a single IP or even a set of IPs that can all send email equally to Gmail, Hotmail, Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and all of their brands is pretty rare these days. Hell, AT&T often blocks the IPs just for merely existing and Verizon isn't that much better. So we use a very high quality pool of IPs that we own, and if we suspect that an email is rejected for anything that might be an IP reputation issue, we try again a few times and then send it over to mail.baby to try some more, who then sends it on to MailChannels for the final attempts. The bottom line is, we get that damn email where it needs to go, and if we don't then the problem is well beyond IP reputation.

We offer some great webmail solutions: Afterlogic Pro, Crossbox, Snappy (Rainloop fork), and Roundcube.

Our service includes all of the basic, universally supported email protocols like IMAP and POP3.

You can read more presales info here: https://mxroutedocs.com/presales/

Now my goal wasn't just to send you to the order page for the large storage plans, so let me outline some of the plans here and the price with this promo:

Plan 1:

Plan 2:

Plan 3:

Plan 4:

Plan 5:

Let me know if you have any questions!

Comments

• Why not bigger reseller Plans?

Thanked by 3jar Waldo19 angelius
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@ascicode said:
    Why not bigger reseller Plans?

It’s on the table, though it wouldn’t be a direct upgrade path as this is a specific hardware build. Unless I migrated one to one of these builds, which is probably worth discussing as well.

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited February 2023

@jar said:

@ascicode said:

It’s on the table, though it wouldn’t be a direct upgrade path as this is a specific hardware build. Unless I migrated one to one of these builds, which is probably worth discussing as well.

Aren't you using OVH and Vultr?
    Can't you just attach some more block storage(which they offer)?

Also do you provide any data redundancy?
    Is it stored on some sort of a RAID array?

Thanked by 1jar
    edited February 2023

@treesmokah said:

@jar said:

@ascicode said:

Aren't you using OVH and Vultr?
    Can't you just attach some more block storage(which they offer)?

Also do you provide any data redundancy?
    Is it stored on some sort of a RAID array?

I’m still branching out a bit, but will probably be in more owned hardware by end of the year. This config is in Ohio, hardware RAID6.

All along I’ve been renting servers from parties I trust that are able to part with configs that help me advance my goals, wherever that may be. This time isn’t much different, but my hope is to have large storage plans ultimately help me fund some actual build outs this year. Those will be colocated with QuickPacket.

Thanked by 1treesmokah
  • @jar said: I’m still branching out a bit, but will probably be in more owned hardware by end of the year. This config is in Ohio, hardware RAID6.

I thought it was in Utah? The site says Utah.

Thanked by 1jar

@HalfEatenPie said:

@jar said: I’m still branching out a bit, but will probably be in more owned hardware by end of the year. This config is in Ohio, hardware RAID6.

I thought it was in Utah? The site says Utah.

Yeah that. Close enough right? 😂

Thanked by 2netomx bdl
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@jar said:
    I’m still branching out a bit, but will probably be in more owned hardware by end of the year. This config is in Ohio, hardware RAID6.

Curious, where and with who in Ohio? We just recently reached out to a DC with a presence in Ohio and am still sort of interested in that location. Can respond privately if you want. :)

Thanked by 1edrebe
  • raza19raza19 Veteran
    edited February 2023

@jar said:
    Hey friends,

Jar I wud really appreciate if I had the option of paying biannually or triennially for further discounts & peace of mind.

edited February 2023

@jar said: This config is in Ohio, hardware RAID6.

Do you have any plans on storage servers somewhere in the EU?
    GDPR and shit like that. EU would be really nice.

Also are your servers encrypted? Or do you put all the trust in the "upstream" and DC.

Thanked by 1PandaRain
  • jlet88jlet88 Member
    edited February 2023

Congrats on the new storage plans. Welcome addition!

Can someone have more than one plan? i.e. if the limitation is outbound mail (300 per hour), for example, so could someone get 2 X "Plan 1" for $80, which would theoretically get them 200GB + 600 outbound? That, to me, might be preferable in theory to 1 X of your "Plan 3" for the same $80 which has 300GB + 300 outbound.

And BTW how do these plans stack with other existing plans? I assume all the plans are independent/self-contained or am I missing something?

Apologies if these have obvious answers!

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited February 2023

@jlet88 said: 600 outbound

Doesn't work like that. You're limited to the set outbound. It doesn't stack like that.

• jlet88jlet88 Member
    edited February 2023

@HalfEatenPie said:

@jlet88 said: 600 outbound

Doesn't work like that. You're limited to the set outbound. It doesn't stack like that.

Can you elaborate? Can I still have two accounts? What about other existing plans someone might already have?

• DataRecoveryDataRecovery Member
    edited February 2023

@jar said:
    The TLDR version

③ I will read the "Important Account Information" email you send me after I sign up (checkbox below) *

⑤ I will read the "Important Account Information" email you send me after I sign up (checkbox below) *

⑥ I will read the "Important Account Information" email you send me after I sign up (checkbox below) *

⑦ I will read the "Important Account Information" email you send me after I sign up (checkbox below) *

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Appears to be hosted at WebNX in Ogden.

https://ogd-lg.webnx.com/

Isn't this 300 messages per hour per user?

@MannDude said:

@jar said:

Curious, where and with who in Ohio? We just recently reached out to a DC with a presence in Ohio and am still sort of interested in that location. Can respond privately if you want. :)

Actually Utah, I’m slow today. I set up with @NetDynamics24.

@raza19 said:

@jar said:
    Hey friends,

Jar I wud really appreciate if I had the option of paying biannually or triennially for further discounts & peace of mind.

Aye let me toss some of that down tonight or tomorrow.

@treesmokah said:

@jar said: This config is in Ohio, hardware RAID6.

Do you have any plans on storage servers somewhere in the EU?
    GDPR and shit like that. EU would be really nice.

Also are your servers encrypted? Or do you put all the trust in the "upstream" and DC.

I spent most of our time growing in EU mostly just due to the right pricing. Ultimately I’ll be settling into my final home as back here in the states. I don’t encrypt, everything is stored in the default Dovecot maildir setup.

Though I’m not technically opposed to increasing encryption (maybe disk encryption to start) in a future iteration, I also want to make sure I don’t attract the same clients that Lavabit did back in the day. I think we all respect what Ladar did when the government came knocking but what always bothered me was how little everyone talked about how everyone’s data was lost as a result of attracting Snowden. I want to be a little more balanced in that I’m not caving to pressure easily, but I also don’t want to be put in the position to trade everything my customers entrusted me with to protect someone. So I guess somewhere in the middle of all of that is where I want to be.

All that to say if you feel like you might be a reasonable value target to state actors, I don’t recommend myself.

@zorker said:
    Appears to be hosted at WebNX in Ogden.

https://ogd-lg.webnx.com/

Isn't this 300 messages per hour per user?

Yeah I just say 300 per hour as shorthand but it’s per email account. I also ask that no one create additional email accounts solely to circumvent it (ex. sender1, sender2, etc). If two email accounts send different emails then they shouldn’t be held to the same limit. So like if registration confirmations and password reset emails go out from 2 separate accounts, that’s cool.

edited February 2023

@jar said: Though I’m not technically opposed to increasing encryption (maybe disk encryption to start) in a future iteration, I also want to make sure I don’t attract the same clients that Lavabit did back in the day. I think we all respect what Ladar did when the government came knocking but what always bothered me was how little everyone talked about how everyone’s data was lost as a result of attracting Snowden. I want to be a little more balanced in that I’m not caving to pressure easily, but I also don’t want to be put in the position to trade everything my customers entrusted me with to protect someone. So I guess somewhere in the middle of all of that is where I want to be.

All that to say if you feel like you might be a reasonable value target to state actors, I don’t recommend myself.

I fully understand why you don't want to attract "high profile problems" to your service, but I consider basic FDE as a security measure that any service should utilize. Depends on the server platform you are using, but there is a high chance you can even do it right now from hardware-raid controller level - it wont be as "good" as open source luks, but it will be good enough to protect against most physical threats.
    Imagine a rogue data center employee mirroring your drives or other crazy shit.
    Encryption won't "cost you much", r/w times are actually decent on luks2 and 99,9% people won't even notice slower speeds.

It will also secure the dead drives that have to be thrown away/destroyed, you are making sure that nobody can play with them.

I totally get that you want to comply will all the laws(and that's good), but it would be nice to make sure that only You and Your customers have access to emails - not random people that may happen to be close to your hardware.
    If feds want some inbox content, they first have to contact you - and not go to the data center and mirror the drives(of which you may even not know).

Thanked by 3jar jlet88 PandaRain
  • @jlet88 said: Can you elaborate? Can I still have two accounts? What about other existing plans someone might already have?

You can have two accounts but each of those accounts will still have the 300 outbound limit. So you can cycle through them sure but you can't ask MXRoute to "combine the two to give you 600 outbound limit".

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • @HalfEatenPie said:

@jlet88 said: Can you elaborate? Can I still have two accounts? What about other existing plans someone might already have?

You can have two accounts but each of those accounts will still have the 300 outbound limit. So you can cycle through them sure but you can't ask MXRoute to "combine the two to give you 600 outbound limit".

Thanks, makes sense.

• jlet88jlet88 Member
    edited February 2023

@treesmokah said:
    Encryption won't "cost you much", r/w times are actually decent on luks2 and 99,9% people won't even notice slower speeds.

It will also secure the dead drives that have to be thrown away/destroyed, you are making sure that nobody can play with them.

I totally get that you want to comply will all the laws(and that's good), but it would be nice to make sure that only You and Your customers have access to emails - not random people that may happen to be close to your hardware.
    If feds want some inbox content, they first have to contact you - and not go to the data center and mirror the drives(of which you may even not know).

Agree 2000%. LUKS has minimal real-world impact, but HUGE peace of mind impact. Please consider at least LUKS. Then you can add that to your marketing too. B)

And don't worry about attracting Snowden types with just LUKS... LUKS does not equal Lavabit today or even yesterday. And Snowden types are not using MXRoute.

LUKS is just basic protection of your customers' peace of mind. So no worries there, you won't have to shut down your business because the feds are knocking on your door for LUKS, but you might have someone nasty at one of your datacenters doing what @treesmokah mentioned and mirror your drives, and that wouldn't be a confidence-inspiring event for your customers. LUKS is a tiny performance hit for a whole lot of gain.

• For how long will you be running this promotion?

Thanked by 1jar

@SeaScoot said:
    For how long will you be running this promotion?

I have the coupon code set for 200 uses, only 8 have used it thus far. I don't think these will move terribly fast.

Thanked by 1SeaScoot
  • Properly sized and priced plans. At last. Can you bump my minuscule BF plan to plan 1?

Thanked by 1jar

@LTniger said:
    Properly sized and priced plans. At last. Can you bump my minuscule BF plan to plan 1?

Sadly I can't upgrade to these packages for users on other servers, as they're dependent on a different hardware build. Though, it has me looking more and more at different hardware builds than I'd been looking at in the past. I think I threw out HDDs too early out of frustration, and maybe HDDs over SAS with a good controller is something I should revisit fleet wide so I can make this more "normal" instead of just some new servers off to the side.

Thanked by 2Levi Jayhawk
  • @Jar
    I wish you would have similar offer in EU. And hopefully for Reseller plans as well.
    Also can you have a look at Ticket 209830 (whenever you have time).

Thanked by 1jar

@Umair said: Ticket 209830

Sorry about that. I'm further behind on escalations than normal. I've been prioritizing daily server and business tasks to make sure I don't fall behind in anything there. Selling one house and buying another, at the same time, is proving to be quite the time sink.

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@jar said:

@LTniger said:
    Properly sized and priced plans. At last. Can you bump my minuscule BF plan to plan 1?

Sadly I can't upgrade to these packages for users on other servers, as they're dependent on a different hardware build. Though, it has me looking more and more at different hardware builds than I'd been looking at in the past. I think I threw out HDDs too early out of frustration, and maybe HDDs over SAS with a good controller is something I should revisit fleet wide so I can make this more "normal" instead of just some new servers off to the side.

Derailing and bumping a bit but: I want some real-world use data on this stuff too. I don't know your requirements, but I'd be happy to give you something to test/mess with using 12G SAS w/7200 + 10k drives. Of course we all know SSDs are faster but for certain use cases I think there is a strong niche here. Maybe coupled with a few small SSDs to cache up front.

Thanked by 2jar greentea
    edited February 2023

@crunchbits said:

@jar said:

@LTniger said:

Derailing and bumping a bit but: I want some real-world use data on this stuff too. I don't know your requirements, but I'd be happy to give you something to test/mess with using 12G SAS w/7200 + 10k drives. Of course we all know SSDs are faster but for certain use cases I think there is a strong niche here. Maybe coupled with a few small SSDs to cache up front.

I personally believe that HDD's with SSD caching and some optimizations would be amazing.
    The mails you gotta load(at least on web interface) are the ones on the first page, and those can get cached - the rest is not used that often by most people and can stay on HDD's.

But yeah, that's my opinion - as a person that does not have much experience with mail servers.

Thanked by 1jar
  • i have a requirement for an email server for "inbound email parsing"....

i have no need for outbound email so there is no reputation to worry about or anything.... paying by the email seems too much.

is there a software i can self host, that allows me to create email accounts, regex and parse the incoming emails into a DB so that further processing can be done? maybe a webhook to some other process that person A has recieved an email containing these parameters. do you want it?

• @john_sd3 said:
    i have a requirement for an email server for "inbound email parsing"....

i have no need for outbound email so there is no reputation to worry about or anything.... paying by the email seems too much.

is there a software i can self host, that allows me to create email accounts, regex and parse the incoming emails into a DB so that further processing can be done? maybe a webhook to some other process that person A has recieved an email containing these parameters. do you want it?

You can use https://www.mailstore.com for this task. It is quite capable. It has a free trial too.

• @ccarita said:

@john_sd3 said:
    i have a requirement for an email server for "inbound email parsing"....

You can use https://www.mailstore.com for this task. It is quite capable. It has a free trial too.

this looks like for archiving. my job would be about handling live emails 24x7 at hundreds an hour .