Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BIG DISK OFFERS: $2.4/TB all-in storage VPS and Ryzen 5950X w/big block storage! - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BIG DISK OFFERS: $2.4/TB all-in storage VPS and Ryzen 5950X w/big block storage!

Comments

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@treesmokah said:
    any plans on some EU location?
    preferably some based one like Norway, essentially as good as USA in terms of freedom of speech but much better with privacy.

Sorry, I somehow missed this, but the short answer: No

Long answer: I'm actually very receptive to it, but I'm not sure what kind of competitive advantage we'd really have there. Especially considering the energy cost surging. I would love to have a presence outside of the US that is comparable in speech and privacy (or better). I do keep my eyes peeled for a fair deal on some large colo as we'd have to assemble and send pallets of gear at once to make it remotely feasible.

Thanked by 2greentea theyeti
  • treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited February 2023

@crunchbits said: Sorry, I somehow missed this, but the short answer: No

Long answer: I'm actually very receptive to it, but I'm not sure what kind of competitive advantage we'd really have there. Especially considering the energy cost surging. I would love to have a presence outside of the US that is comparable in speech and privacy (or better). I do keep my eyes peeled for a fair deal on some large colo as we'd have to assemble and send pallets of gear at once to make it remotely feasible.

Reach out to Terra, true freedom of speech, large colo possible(the have 3 own dc's) and of course power prices are amazing(they also recently locked up a contract for 7 years which guarantees no power hikes).

Bandwidth prices are also reasonable even though they get most of their transit over darkfiber from Oslo(and Holland IX'es down the line).

Thanked by 3greentea crunchbits Val
  • They bumped my 2 TiB instance to 2 GB ram over the weekend for some ZFS recv testing, and I didn't get any OOM errors. I tested transfers both with zstd and no compression, and with and without encryption.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • wow ZFS is used for this?

Thanked by 1greentea
    edited February 2023

@pwned said:
    They bumped my 2 TiB instance to 2 GB ram over the weekend for some ZFS recv testing, and I didn't get any OOM errors. I tested transfers both with zstd and no compression, and with and without encryption.

Didn't want to dox, but all existing VPS storage customers can thank @pwned for his generous testing and reporting.

You're all getting double the RAM based upon what we saw from his testing and what we felt we could offer for significant end-user experience improvement and minimal financial impact to us. This is also why we haven't released the newest batch of storage servers publicly.

edit: this probably means nothing to anyone on an 8TB+ plan as you likely never ran into issues, but it's all getting doubled anyways.

• @crunchbits said: You're all getting double the RAM based upon what we saw from his testing and what we felt we could offer for significant end-user experience improvement and minimal financial impact to us. This is also why we haven't released the newest batch of storage servers publicly.

Did I miss any special offers? Or are there any additional services that can double the RAM?

• @namein said:

@crunchbits said: You're all getting double the RAM based upon what we saw from his testing and what we felt we could offer for significant end-user experience improvement and minimal financial impact to us. This is also why we haven't released the newest batch of storage servers publicly.

Did I miss any special offers? Or are there any additional services that can double the RAM?

It says you are all getting, not that you already got. It will happen seamlessly behind the scenes and there will be a maintenance window for each node to come offline for a short period before.

Thanked by 2namein crunchbits
  • POST ORDER WORK ID FOR DOUBLE RAM!

Thanked by 1greentea
  • 4GB Ryzen 5950X w/450GB HDD! Out of Stock

• yongsikleeyongsiklee Member, Patron Provider

Order Number: 1316564144

For double ram.

Thank you.

• Can you have it restock

@JabJab said:
    POST ORDER WORK ID FOR DOUBLE RAM!

damn you

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • More feedback:

Is there a public API, for querying stuff like transfer used/remaining, etc?

Until someone pointed it out to me earlier in this thread, I couldn't locate the ToS and AUP. Turns out they're linked in the footer of https://crunchbits.com/, but not at https://my.crunchbits.com/ . At least that I can see.

Thanked by 1greentea

@pwned said:
    More feedback:

Is there a public API, for querying stuff like transfer used/remaining, etc?

Until someone pointed it out to me earlier in this thread, I couldn't locate the ToS and AUP. Turns out they're linked in the footer of https://crunchbits.com/, but not at https://my.crunchbits.com/ . At least that I can see.

No public API. Something to consider, though.

Good point on the TOS/AUP link needing to be on the store page. There is an entirely new website, and I've been trying to get these British guys to show me a working billing system that would integrate nicely with the whole new layout. Too busy with their maccies.

Thanked by 1greentea
    edited February 2023

@crunchbits Did you send me the shirts. I still didn't receive them.

BTW, since I love the quality of the service from crunchbits, I even registered/bought a new domain named REDACTED FOR PRIVACY- Arkas

Thanked by 1greentea
  • @yongsiklee said:

BTW, since I love the quality of the service from crunchbits, I even registered/bought a new domain named REDACTED FOR PRIVACY. :D

May I suggest you don't list your domain name? DOT US domains don't have privacy protection and you are basically doxxing yourself. :#

Unless you wanted to do that. Then leave it there...

Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@jlet88 said:

@yongsiklee said:

BTW, since I love the quality of the service from crunchbits, I even registered/bought a new domain named REDACTED FOR PRIVACY. :D

May I suggest you don't list your domain name? DOT US domains don't have privacy protection and you are basically doxxing yourself. :#

@jlet88 said:

@yongsiklee said:

They do; that's how my address was leaked with the domain name lowendtalk.us

• This is why I don't register DOT US domains any more. I mean, his whole personal info is listed. I'd suggest a mod blank it out unless @yongsiklee really intended to do that.

It was a nice gesture to register a domain inspired by a good hosting service, I guess, but maybe pick a domain extension that has privacy?

Didn't mean to distract from the thread. Back to the @crunchbits news excitement...

Thanked by 1yongsiklee

Man all these replies, I thought @crunchbits released more storage plans.

Thanked by 2raza19 greentea
  • @crunchbits said:

Man why is @crunchbits slacking...

Thanked by 1greentea

@JabJab said:

@crunchbits said:

Rumor has it they have been working hard, personally blessing each HDD with 1 hour ritual per TB per drive individually and those are now slowly trickling live.

Other rumor has it that all storage plans now:
    -Double the RAM (website does NOT reflect this yet)
    -SSD cached for significant IOPS/throughput boost
    -Same price

Existing storage customers: You all have VIP access to be moved to the new nodes and we'll work with your schedule. It's annoying, but the SSD caching unfortunately requires significant changes to the filesystem.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@jlet88 said: This is why I don't register DOT US domains any more. I mean, his whole personal info is listed. I'd suggest a mod blank it out unless @yongsiklee really intended to do that.

I redacted it. People should be careful what they list and what info is leaked.

• @crunchbits said: Rumor has it they have been working hard, personally blessing each HDD with 1 hour ritual per TB per drive individually and those are now slowly trickling live.

I call bullshit or that guy is paid by an hour ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

[@crunchbits said]
    -Same price

Eh? You don't give existing customers bonuses - you need to use it to marketing NEW, BETTER, MORE EXPENSIVE, DOUBLE RAM IF ORDER ID POSTED services. Come on, the year is 2023, no one cares about loyal customers - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and quick turnover.

Thanked by 1greentea

@JabJab said:

@crunchbits said: Rumor has it they have been working hard, personally blessing each HDD with 1 hour ritual per TB per drive individually and those are now slowly trickling live.

[@crunchbits said]
    -Same price

Eh? You don't give existing customers bonuses - you need to use it to marketing NEW, BETTER, MORE EXPENSIVE, DOUBLE RAM IF ORDER ID POSTED services. Come on, the year is 2023, no one cares about loyal customers - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and quick turnover.

...hmm he does get paid by the hour

I tried the bump approach. I just can't. I'd rather get involucrated than do that again. We'll just give out comfy AF tshirts, post some bananas, and improve our services where we can when we can at no cost.

• @crunchbits said: post some bananas

• @crunchbits said:

@JabJab said:

@crunchbits said: Rumor has it they have been working hard, personally blessing each HDD with 1 hour ritual per TB per drive individually and those are now slowly trickling live.

[@crunchbits said]
    -Same price

...hmm he does get paid by the hour

I tried the bump approach. I just can't. I'd rather get involucrated than do that again. We'll just give out comfy AF tshirts, post some bananas, and improve our services where we can when we can at no cost.

I don't need another big diks plan atm but when they're available, I'll get one anyways just to support this way of doing business

Thanked by 1greentea
  • pointless lump

Thanked by 1greentea
  • any update on new locations? south west US

Thanked by 1greentea
  • @crunchbits said:

@JabJab said:

@crunchbits said:

Rumor has it they have been working hard, personally blessing each HDD with 1 hour ritual per TB per drive individually and those are now slowly trickling live.

-Same price

Existing storage customers: You all have VIP access to be moved to the new nodes and we'll work with your schedule. It's annoying, but the SSD caching unfortunately requires significant changes to the filesystem.

What would be price for
    1vCPU Xeon v4, 2GB RAM, 1TB storage, 10TB+ bandwidth, 1x IPv4?

1GB RAM is too low for me and I don't need more than 1TB, can you offer something custom?

Thanked by 1greentea
    edited February 2023

@jlet88 said:

@yongsiklee said:

Thank you for your suggestion. I was careless. And thank you @Arkas for redacting the domain name.

Thanked by 3jlet88 Arkas greentea