Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


What kinds of services are you self-hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

What kinds of services are you self-hosting?

Email? I've heard it's too much work and easy to mess up.
Password vault? Git forge? VPN?
How much time does it take maintaining them? Do you plan to just move back to a centralized solution again because of this?
Link to the repositories if possible.

«1

Comments

  • let_rockslet_rocks Member
    edited January 18

    For setting up a e-mail server I can recommend https://github.com/LukeSmithxyz/emailwiz.

    Other things I self host:
    Gitea - http://gitea.io
    MediaWiki - http://mediawiki.org

    Not spending much time to maintain. E-mail is not full production (yet), it has low priority for me.

    Thanked by 1harrison
  • Owncloud, VPN

    Thanked by 1harrison
  • kaitkait Member
    edited January 18

    Gitea
    Website
    Ghost (blog)
    DNS (PowerDNS)

    Want to add:
    Nextcloud
    More DNS
    Email
    Bitwarden
    Privacy services for other people.

    Thanked by 1harrison
  • all

    Thanked by 1harrison
  • systemd service.

    Thanked by 1harrison
  • Kubernetes toy cluster. which I will host my NodeJS app on.

    Thanked by 1harrison
  • gitlab, bitwarden, nextcloud, emby

    Thanked by 1harrison
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited January 18

    Vpn, mostly.
    Every time I consider self hosting email, I remember it can quickly get a pita and just stick to gmail/outlook etc.

    There are alternatives like https://mailbox.org which I would consider before self-hosting.

    Thanked by 1harrison
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

    @Ympker said: There are alternatives like https://mailbox.org which I would consider before self-hosting.

    Protonmail is pretty decent. I know it has a bad rep because they were forced to reveal some emails because the Swiss government asked them to, but they are really good, not super cheap but decent prices for custom domains.

    Thanked by 1harrison
  • Depends what self-hosting means.
    At home I host fileserver with FTP, HTTP, iSCSI, Tor bridges, Freenet nodes, VPN, if that can be called hosting, media server, etc. I have 3 houses and I prefer to have everything in one place and access remotely when I am not there.
    Outside home I host webserver for 3 domains I help people with, email, FTP as well as the usual Tor relays and exits (where allowed), freenet, etc.

    I am not hosting outside home anything new, whenever I need something like kubernetes, docker, I just spin on a VM in one of my home Proxmox nodes, but that is only for experiments, like seeing how many resources I could save by running docker instead of LXD as I am one vm/container for one app type of person wherever possible, for example, the mail I run with a webserver due to webmail integration even as I could have used a back-end for mail only, but the SME Server (formerly e-smith) is really safe and easy to maintain, albeit dated.

    Thanked by 1harrison
  • @emg I feel you're right about social engineering now.... 🥶

    Thanked by 1emg
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member
    edited January 19

    I self host vaultwarden, on a machine with no internet access, can access only via intranet.

    Thanked by 1harrison
  • @let_rocks said:
    For setting up a e-mail server I can recommend https://github.com/LukeSmithxyz/emailwiz.

    Other things I self host:
    Gitea - http://gitea.io
    MediaWiki - http://mediawiki.org

    Not spending much time to maintain. E-mail is not full production (yet), it has low priority for me.

    Is there a way i can import things. To media wiki? I want to start one up bases on a certain category of things. But don't feel like manually making a page for each thing.

  • ArkasArkas Moderator

    @FatGrizzly said: I self host vaultwarden, on a machine with no internet access, can access only via intranet.

    What's the point then? You wont be able to access it from outside when you are not home or office? Do you allow any specific IPs to access it when traveling?

    Thanked by 1harrison
  • I've tried self-hosting a handful of various things. When I want to do something new, I'm currently using this massive list as a starting point:
    https://github.com/awesome-selfhosted/awesome-selfhosted

    What I'm still self-hosting:
    Synctube: https://github.com/RblSb/SyncTube
    Serendipity(blog): https://github.com/s9y/serendipity
    Bonobo Git: https://github.com/jakubgarfield/Bonobo-Git-Server
    Uptime Kuma(monitoring): https://github.com/louislam/uptime-kuma
    Piwigo(photo gallery): https://github.com/Piwigo/Piwigo
    FileGator: https://github.com/filegator/filegator
    Jellyfin(media server): https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin

    Plus the usual FTP/SSH/DNS/VPN/static website stuff.

    Maintenance is rather minimal. I generally don't update things unless there's a vulnerability or a new feature/bugfix that I want. I get the most mileage out of Jellyfin and Synctube.

    Thanked by 2harrison _MS_
  • ItsAsylumItsAsylum Member
    edited January 19

    I'm currently doing

    Gaming news website

    Anime news website

    Image upload website

    Image board website (down atm)

    OH! and a clone of that old site weboasis

  • LisoLiso Member

    I self host following:

    • Gitea
    • BookStack
    • OwnCloud

    Many more to come !

    Thanked by 1harrison
  • The only I self-host (which I host locally) is cgit (Git) which include my password manager ~/.password-store, Note taking using org-mode and markdown file from Markor apps my phone.
    Consider to trying self-host nextcloud for this year :D

  • @Liso said:
    I self host following:

    • Gitea
    • BookStack
    • OwnCloud

    Many more to come !

    What's bookstack? Like a wiki?

  • LisoLiso Member
    edited January 19

    @ItsAsylum said:

    @Liso said:
    I self host following:

    • Gitea
    • BookStack
    • OwnCloud

    Many more to come !

    What's bookstack? Like a wiki?

    Yep, I used it as personal knowledge base → github https://github.com/BookStackApp/BookStack

    Thanked by 2harrison ascicode
  • @Arkas said:

    @Ympker said: There are alternatives like https://mailbox.org which I would consider before self-hosting.

    Protonmail is pretty decent. I know it has a bad rep because they were forced to reveal some emails because the Swiss government asked them to, but they are really good, not super cheap but decent prices for custom domains.

    Thanks for the recommendation. Will keep them in mind.

    Thanked by 1Arkas
  • suutsuut Member

    Typecho

    Thanked by 1harrison
  • my spirit.

    Thanked by 1harrison
  • @Arkas said:

    @FatGrizzly said: I self host vaultwarden, on a machine with no internet access, can access only via intranet.

    What's the point then? You wont be able to access it from outside when you are not home or office? Do you allow any specific IPs to access it when traveling?

    I've already explained that I stay at home for around 360 days a year. Have you forgotten?
    It changes on people's use cases tbh, for me it simply works.

  • kaitkait Member

    Forgot about Jellyfin with the services attacked to that.
    Also forgot about tor mirrors for my website. Want to add i2p but no idea how to set that up yet.

    Thanked by 1harrison
  • Vaultwarden
    Jitsi Meet
    Nextcloud
    VPN

    I think I have to change Nextcloud to something not so heavy. It's actually only a backup service for photos from my phone and I don't need more. I need app to auto upload photos to my vps. Any ideas what client app and what should I host as a server?

    Thanked by 1harrison
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited January 19

    @MGarbis said:
    Vaultwarden
    Jitsi Meet
    Nextcloud
    VPN

    I think I have to change Nextcloud to something not so heavy. It's actually only a backup service for photos from my phone and I don't need more. I need app to auto upload photos to my vps. Any ideas what client app and what should I host as a server?

    Wasn't Chevereto THE solution for hosting own photos?
    https://chevereto.com/

    Other alternatives:

    https://piwigo.org/

    https://lychee.electerious.com/

    https://photoprism.app/

    Thanked by 1harrison
  • @Ympker said:

    @MGarbis said:
    Vaultwarden
    Jitsi Meet
    Nextcloud
    VPN

    I think I have to change Nextcloud to something not so heavy. It's actually only a backup service for photos from my phone and I don't need more. I need app to auto upload photos to my vps. Any ideas what client app and what should I host as a server?

    Wasn't Chevereto THE solution for hosting own photos?
    https://chevereto.com/

    Other alternatives:

    https://piwigo.org/

    https://lychee.electerious.com/

    https://photoprism.app/

    Thank You for the help Ympker!
    I've been thinking to change even more light than those. No gallery and no photo sharing needed. Just simple autoupload new photos to vps. And when/if needed propably SFTP to download from vps.

    Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I used to self host 42 apps and services (including email) until a few months ago, but now I have only:

    • Nextcloud
    • OnlyOffice
    • Mastodon
    • Mastodon Crossposter to Twitter
    • Plausible Analytics
    • my blogging platform DynaBlogger (which I am going to open source)
    • Postfactum (a retrospective app I am building)
    • Commento
    • DPaste
    • Wallabag
    • Crowdsec
    • Portainer
    • Actual Budget
    • Kutt
    • RustDesk
    • Nginx Proxy Manager

    Everything in Docker on GreenCloud virtual servers, and for uptime monitoring I use Uptime Kuma hosted in fly.io.

    Thanked by 1harrison
Sign In or Register to comment.