Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most favorite operating system for servers? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Most favorite operating system for servers?

13»

Comments

• @FatGrizzly said:

@TimboJones said:

How many times were you an intern?

3 times, 2x cPanel based, 1x DA

On-site?

Nope, Remote.

I don't think "Remote Intern" is a thing.

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@TimboJones said:

@FatGrizzly said:

@TimboJones said:

How many times were you an intern?

3 times, 2x cPanel based, 1x DA

On-site?

Nope, Remote.

I don't think "Remote Intern" is a thing.

It is.

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/remote-internships-jobs

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • nobody repping alpine linux?

• @jignes_k said:
    nobody repping alpine linux?

You missed my comment :D

Thanked by 1jignes_k
  • DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

3 pages in... Lets look at some stats.

64 Comments
    237 Votes

I think the votes should be up way more than 24% of the views. However lets keep this up.

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:

64 Comments
    237 Votes

I think the votes should be up way more than 24% of the views. However lets keep this up.

1 view =/= 1 person.

If you look at the distribution, it's also probably a top 10% does 90% of the views or something. Also I didn't vote. And I'm probably not going to vote.

@HalfEatenPie said:

1 view =/= 1 person.

If you look at the distribution, it's also probably a top 10% does 90% of the views or something. Also I didn't vote. And I'm probably not going to vote.

I get that not everyone will vote. Just trying to get some ideas on something. :hushed:

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited January 2023

@DataIdeas-Josh said: I get that not everyone will vote. Just trying to get some ideas on something.

ReactOS or bust

Honestly Debian and Ubuntu

Thanked by 1DataIdeas-Josh
  • Ubuntu on all my server... Mixed 20.04 and newest 22.04

• @itsnotv said:
    I have been running mostly debian for a decade. But I am bored of debian. I am considering moving to NixOS. A rolling release in prod with sounds more exciting.

I don't know if you're trolling, but this is a terrible idea. Production is the last place you want to discover that some automatic upgrade has broken everything.

If you really want to try out something new, do it in a separate test system, but you should also make sure that your normal QA system is always a mirror of your production so that you discover incompatibilities before they hit production. Whenever you want to try something new, clone or replicate the existing QA system and upgrade that copy.

Arguably, development is a good place to try out new things, but it also increases the likelihood of a developer using some new feature that's not yet available on your battle-tested production environment. Many developers test something locally, and assume it'll just work in production.

I'm quite a firm believer in sticking with a version you know works for production, and only taking critical security fixes. At some point during your development cycle, you might want to upgrade, so you make a new QA environment for that, and assess how everything works there, without impacting production or your existing QA environment.

I remember one of my early contract gigs in 1999 was upgrading government machines running SunOS 4 to Solaris 2.5 even though Solaris 2.6 had been available for almost 2 years, and Solaris 7 (2.7) had been available for over 6 months. They were firmly in the $LAST-1 camp, and in this case because $LAST was still "very new" as far as they were concerned, they wanted $LAST-2.

Me personally, I use Debian stable on all my servers, and have done since the early 2000s. For a while, also in the early 2000s, I worked for a company where they'd chosen to use RedHat (years before CentOS was a thing) and I didn't really like the way a lot of things felt very different to SunOS, so whenever I used Debian it felt like using a proper UNIX again.

At home, I used Ubuntu for about a decade, but I'd never consider it for a server, because to me it's always been Debian + desktop improvements. In a server environment, I don't want to install anything I don't need (they're just more potential security vectors), so I never saw an advantage over Debian. Also, they had a habit of packaging things that were even newer than Debian testing, which again is fine on a desktop but worrying for production.

• emgemg Veteran

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

64 Comments
    237 Votes

This thread has been up for several days. It is active, so I have probably looked at it once or twice a day since it started. My view count is many times my vote count (1). I suspect that may be common for others, too.

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:
    I'm kind of honestly surprised I don't see more Windows Server.
    Granted I know a lot of people here probably don't cater to a lot of Windows environments.

that's a good thing to not see those, unless you want your server easily owned/hacked

• @itsnotv said:
    I have been running mostly debian for a decade. But I am bored of debian. I am considering moving to NixOS. A rolling release in prod with sounds more exciting.

Any Nix or Arch server users here?

some of my friends roll out servers using both - NixOS is nice as you can easily replicate the server config to a new system

@chitree said: NixOS

What would NixOS be good for?

• Just Windows, centOS, Ubuntu, Debian

• Windows vista

Thanked by 1chitree

@SirFoxy said:
    Windows vista

hmm Vista or ME?

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:

@SirFoxy said:
    Windows vista

hmm Vista or ME?

Most definitely Vista

• I would say CentOS, at least until now, is the best system for servers. The main reason for this is that it is extremely difficult to break your server and/or apps following an update. Usually, Ubuntu provides one very solid update a month, while Debian or Ubuntu provide more frequent updates.

At least this is my particular choice. I love centos!