Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Misaka.io Berlin Launch Offer 84% off - 4G NVMe KVM VPS for $36/yr - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Misaka.io Berlin Launch Offer 84% off - 4G NVMe KVM VPS for $36/yr

Comments

• pikepike Veteran
    edited January 2023

@rkan said:
    Anyone got an idea of a good consumer ISP provider in Berlin who gets good routing to this? Currently with Vodafone cable it seems to be 10ms to ISP router and then a good extra 10-15ms to the test IP / Speedbone or 25ms+ in total. The connection is only few clicks away from the datacenter (like it matters...). Is Berlin ISPs connectivity truly so bad? It feels like it is copper all the way to the ISPs major exchange :#

Vodafone uses DOCSIS 3.1 nowadays, so the latency difference between vDSL and Cable is minimal. It really depends on your specific situation, but in most parts of the city this should be the case. I dont know about PYUR cable network, they might still use EuroDOCSIS, that comes with the latency increase @Neoon mentioned.

Both Vodafone and Telekom are bitches about their peering, especially Vodafone started routing a lot via Frankfurt like 3 years ago for no apparent reason. If you prefer to use their cable network have a look at O2 cable offers, since they have better peering and only rely on VF for the last mile.

If you want to experiment you can also try 5G, if available in your area.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited January 2023

@pike said:

@rkan said:
    Anyone got an idea of a good consumer ISP provider in Berlin who gets good routing to this? Currently with Vodafone cable it seems to be 10ms to ISP router and then a good extra 10-15ms to the test IP / Speedbone or 25ms+ in total. The connection is only few clicks away from the datacenter (like it matters...). Is Berlin ISPs connectivity truly so bad? It feels like it is copper all the way to the ISPs major exchange :#

Vodafone uses DOCSIS 3.1 nowadays, so the latency difference between vDSL and Cable is minimal. It really depends on your specific situation, but in most parts of the city this should be the case. I dont know about PYUR cable network, they might still use EuroDOCSIS, that comes with the latency increase @Neoon mentioned.

Both Vodafone and Telekom are bitches about their peering, especially Vodafone started routing a lot via Frankfurt like 3 years ago for no apparent reason. If you prefer to use their cable network have a look at O2 cable offers, since they have better peering and only rely on VF for the last mile.

If you want to experiment you can also try 5G, if available in your area.

Vodafone is present at BCIX with 200gig, so it should not be an issue.
    https://www.peeringdb.com/net/319

However "selective".

• For Telekom/DTAG I can confirm, Berlin->Frankfurt->Berlin :s with 16-17ms on FTTH, VDSL should be only a few more ms. Sadly, Telekom is very bitchy with their peering policy.

@rkan said:

If probe owners tagged their connection details correctly, RTT in the rage of 6-10ms I've found though ripe atlas probes in Berlin are with consumer xDSL connections from o2/Telefonica or 1&1/Versatel.

Vodafone seems to also routing Berlin->Frankfurt->Berlin, best I've found in AS3209 with ripe atlas was a probe on vodafone cable with ~24ms.

• From 1&1/Versatel xDSL I can confirm that it goes via BCIX, both for IPv4 and IPV6, however, I am pretty far from Berlin (North Rhine-Westphalia) and my latency to the test IP is between 15ms to 18ms. Sticking with a Frankfurt-based server, but nice to see a new option, especially from a reputable provider.

edited January 2023

Kinda sucks thought, 1 of 3 Major ISP's are not routed via Frankfurt.
    No point then to getting it over Frankfurt.

• Any more offers available in Berlin?

• Oh man I wish I had seen this earlier, amazing price. Congrats on Berlin launch!

• pikepike Veteran
    edited January 2023

Fun fact, for events that require high bandwith internet in locations without proper connectivity, such as the STATION areal, its common practice to use directed radio as transit, using the tv tower. Even Vodafone goes that way for their events xD

@Neoon well I can just talk out of my experience as Vodafone cable customer that was locked into a contract for more than 12 months after they did these routing changes. Relevant connections (to US, UK, scandinavia but also within the city, for example to the uni network) were alltogether routed via frankfurt. And for that they used their own lines, which gave even higher latency compared to transitproviders.

With DTAG at least some providers have, actually working, private peering and had connections go via private peering facilities in Berlin, Hamburg and (I'd guess) somewhere arround Hannover.

With O² at least you connect with anything thats present at BCIX, through cloudflare warp I get access to NTT transit, which seems to give lowest latency for most targets outside the city.

I really hope for the situation here to improve when maincubes and Google open their datacenters in the next years.

• pikepike Veteran
    edited January 2023
    |--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    |                                        WinMTR Vodafail-LTE -> Misaka (Speedbone)           |
    |                       Host                -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
    |--------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
    |                            192.168.42.129 -    9 |   79 |   72 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
    |                     No response from host -  100 |   15 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
    |                     No response from host -  100 |   15 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
    |[LTE Cell]ipservice-x.pools.vodafone-ip.de -    0 |  140 |  140 |   15 |   24 |   65 |   29 |
    |                             145.254.2.207 -    0 |  140 |  140 |   23 |   31 |   67 |   36 |
    |            de-cix1.rt.act.fkt.de.retn.net -    0 |  140 |  140 |   23 |   32 |  118 |   28 |
    |              ae0-5.RT.IPB.BER.DE.retn.net -    0 |  140 |  140 |   30 |   39 |   75 |   39 |
    |           et1-363.cr01.ber02.de.misaka.io -    0 |  140 |  140 |   31 |   39 |   75 |   33 |
    |                            45.142.247.129 -    0 |  140 |  140 |   30 |   39 |   75 |   33 |
    |__________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

These funny brits, it goes ber - ffm using their own backbone, just to then hand it over to retn that connects back to ber. fyi the vodafone datacenter (and network core for berlin) is 20min walking distance away from the Alboinkontor/Speedbone :)

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    |                                                  WinMTR O²/Telefonica DSL -> Misaka (Speedbone)      |
    |                              Host                   -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
    |------------------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
    |                                           fritz.box -    9 |  304 |  277 |    0 |    0 |    4 |    0 |
    |     loopback1.0002.acln.01.ber.de.net.telefonica.de -    0 |  539 |  539 |    9 |   17 |  147 |    9 |
    |bundle-ether16.0004.dbrx.01.ber.de.net.telefonica.de -    1 |  506 |  502 |    9 |    9 |   19 |   10 |
    |         ae2-0.0001.prrx.01.ber.de.net.telefonica.de -    1 |  514 |  511 |    9 |   10 |   50 |    9 |
    |                                      misaka.bcix.de -    0 |  540 |  540 |    9 |    9 |   16 |   10 |
    |                               No response from host -  100 |   55 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
    |                                      45.142.247.129 -    0 |  539 |  539 |    9 |    9 |   17 |    9 |
    |____________________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

rn I dont have access to DTAG, but their BGP/"looking glass" gives the route: b-eh2.b.de.net.dtag.de -> b-rra3.b.de.net.dtag.de -> f-rrb1.f.de.net.dtag.de -> ??? -> misaka/45.142.247.129

From the looks of it, seems like DTAG double paid transit, would be worth the money.

• pikepike Veteran
    edited January 2023

@Neoon said:
    From the looks of it, seems like DTAG double paid transit, would be worth the money.

I guess they pay for the transit out of ffm and the rest is homebrew-backbone (ofc based on copper on steroi... ehr supervectoring o:))

I just found that using cf warp on vodafone actually bypasses the sightseeing tour and reduces latency by ~10ms.

1    39 ms    25 ms    20 ms  172.16.0.1
      2     *        *        *     Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.
      3    23 ms    33 ms    23 ms  misaka.bcix.de [193.178.185.165]
      4     *        *        *     Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.
      5    17 ms    30 ms    19 ms  45.142.247.xxx

Routenverfolgung zu 45.142.247.139 über maximal 30 Hops

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.42.129
      8    48 ms    19 ms    17 ms  ipservice-092-214-120-004.092.214.pools.vodafone-ip.de [92.214.120.4]
      9     *       86 ms    33 ms  145.254.2.207
     10    35 ms    28 ms    58 ms  de-cix1.rt.act.fkt.de.retn.net [80.81.192.73]
     11    67 ms    41 ms    34 ms  ae0-5.RT.IPB.BER.DE.retn.net [87.245.232.245]
     12    51 ms    34 ms    31 ms  et1-363.cr01.ber02.de.misaka.io [199.119.64.17]
     13     *        *        *     Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.
     14    65 ms    35 ms    31 ms  45.142.247.xxx

• avelineaveline Member, Patron Provider

@Sendai said:
    For Telekom/DTAG I can confirm, Berlin->Frankfurt->Berlin :s with 16-17ms on FTTH, VDSL should be only a few more ms. Sadly, Telekom is very bitchy with their peering policy.

@rkan said:

If probe owners tagged their connection details correctly, RTT in the rage of 6-10ms I've found though ripe atlas probes in Berlin are with consumer xDSL connections from o2/Telefonica or 1&1/Versatel.

Vodafone seems to also routing Berlin->Frankfurt->Berlin, best I've found in AS3209 with ripe atlas was a probe on vodafone cable with ~24ms.

Yes, this is a known issue, and we're working on a solution, but I can't disclose too much information at this moment.

For AS3320 / DTAG the latency issues should be resolved after Lumen is installed. The lead time is around 1mo.

So far, it shouldn't have any latency issues towards the following local ISPs:

• 1&1 / Versatel
    • Telefonica / O2
    • PYÜR / Tele Columbus
    • Colt
    • DNS:NET
    Thanked by 2pike rkan
  • pikepike Veteran

@aveline said:
    Yes, this is a known issue, and we're working on a solution, but I can't disclose too much information at this moment.

For AS3320 / DTAG the latency issues should be resolved after Lumen is installed. The lead time is around 1mo.

• 1&1 / Versatel
    • Telefonica / O2
    • PYÜR / Tele Columbus
    • Colt

Well it is not a technical issue, DTAG is acting disgusting in so many ways... and Vodafone takes them as rolemodel.

@aveline said:

That would be to easy, that's not how you fix DTAG issues.
    Transit ports are undersized from DTAG, on peak times, they are congested as fuck on a regular basis and they don't care.

• Any chances for some new coupons for this very very nice offer?

• i suck at Math, but if 84% is 36y what would be the normal price ?

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • MOARRRRRRRRR

@cold said:
    i suck at Math, but if 84% is 36y what would be the normal price ?

$225 / yr

@pike said:

@aveline said:

• 1&1 / Versatel
    • Telefonica / O2
    • PYÜR / Tele Columbus
    • Colt

Well it is not a technical issue, DTAG is acting disgusting in so many ways... and Vodafone takes them as rolemodel.

Vodafone is fixed :-)

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • Hi @aveline is their any other offers available for this configuration, as HalloBerlin coupon seems fully redeemed.

Thanks

• @aveline said:

@cold said:

$225 / yr

@pike said:

@aveline said:

• 1&1 / Versatel
    • Telefonica / O2
    • PYÜR / Tele Columbus
    • Colt

does it come with a toilet of massive gold ? or just the VPS ?

Thanked by 1TK93
  • @cold said:

@aveline said:

@cold said:

$225 / yr

@pike said:

@aveline said:

• 1&1 / Versatel
    • Telefonica / O2
    • PYÜR / Tele Columbus
    • Colt

I mean it's a similar price to some others, it's basically in line with DO prices, although Berlin isn't a very common location.

Nerver had an issue with Misaka, been great the time I've used them

• @iKeyZ said:

@cold said:

@aveline said:

@cold said:

$225 / yr

@pike said:

@aveline said:

• 1&1 / Versatel
    • Telefonica / O2
    • PYÜR / Tele Columbus
    • Colt

I mean it's a similar price to some others, it's basically in line with DO prices, although Berlin isn't a very common location.

Nerver had an issue with Misaka, been great the time I've used them

for the money, i travel to berlin and hide a raspberry pi in a Berlin bar or so...

edited February 2023

@cold said:

@aveline said:

@cold said:

$225 / yr

@pike said:

@aveline said:

• 1&1 / Versatel
    • Telefonica / O2
    • PYÜR / Tele Columbus
    • Colt

You can get a VPS in Berlin from 1€/m, but that is 512MB.
    However keep in mind, this was 4GB, which is about 20€/m from other Providers too, where 225$/y isn't bad.

Its cheaper to get the same in Frankfurt, local is way more expensive.

Thanked by 2cold iKeyZ
  • When will Miami Hosting open?

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog

@LETVIP said:
    When will Miami Hosting open?

It should be available before Apr.

@Sendai said:
    For Telekom/DTAG I can confirm, Berlin->Frankfurt->Berlin :s with 16-17ms on FTTH, VDSL should be only a few more ms. Sadly, Telekom is very bitchy with their peering policy.

>

Telekom latency issue is mostly resolved. It's now routed through Lumen Berlin and its performance is not too bad.

aveline@de-ber02-p01:~$ mtr --report-wide ber.wsqm.telekom-dienste.de
    Start: 2023-03-12T07:44:20+0000
    HOST: de-ber02-p01                            Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
      1.|-- ???                                   100.0    10    0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0
      2.|-- 100.92.12.2                            0.0%    10    0.4   0.3   0.2   0.4   0.0
      3.|-- po100-1.cr01.ber02.de.misaka.io        0.0%    10    0.4   0.4   0.2   0.5   0.1
      4.|-- gw-as3356-g60.cr01.ber02.de.misaka.io  0.0%    10    0.9   1.2   0.4   5.2   1.5
      5.|-- ae1.3501.edge5.Berlin1.level3.net      0.0%    10    0.7   1.6   0.6   6.7   2.1
      6.|-- DTAG-level3-Berlin1.Level3.net         0.0%    10    1.5   1.5   1.3   2.2   0.3
      7.|-- b-ef81-i.B.DE.NET.DTAG.DE              0.0%    10    1.6   1.4   1.3   1.6   0.1
      8.|-- 80.156.5.146                           0.0%    10    1.1   1.2   1.0   1.5   0.1
      9.|-- ???                                   100.0    10    0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0
     10.|-- tmo-128-25.customers.d1-online.com     0.0%    10    1.0   1.0   1.0   1.1   0.0

aveline@de-ber02-p01:~$ speedtest -s 30907

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: Deutsche Telekom - Berlin (id: 30907)
             ISP: Misaka Network, Inc.
    Idle Latency:     1.01 ms   (jitter: 0.33ms, low: 0.96ms, high: 1.56ms)
        Download:  8193.62 Mbps (data used: 9.2 GB)
                     49.52 ms   (jitter: 43.48ms, low: 1.09ms, high: 463.27ms)
          Upload:  8150.54 Mbps (data used: 12.9 GB)
                      1.80 ms   (jitter: 11.67ms, low: 0.97ms, high: 215.46ms)
     Packet Loss:    20.0%
      Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/47c26eaa-0bbf-4ea2-9ef4-88da0fc5e345

In addition, we have also established direct peering connections with Vodafone and O2, which should further improve the connectivity and performance for our users.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@aveline said: direct peering connections with Vodafone

Looks pretty decent now:

Start: 2023-03-12T08:58:19+0100
    HOST: nanopineo2                                     Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
      1. AS3209   2a02:8108:1bc0:1fc4:10:18ff:fe41:e154   0.0%    10    1.5   1.8   1.3   2.0   0.3
      2. AS3209   2a02:8108:1:37::1                       0.0%    10    9.4   9.5   7.4  10.9   1.0
      3. AS3209   2a02:8100:6:2::100:5c1                  0.0%    10    8.8   9.6   8.0  14.8   2.0
      4. AS3209   2a02:8100:6:2::901                     80.0%    10   10.2   9.3   8.5  10.2   1.2
      5. AS3209   2a00::afff:0:c01:c02:1                 70.0%    10   10.5  11.2  10.5  11.9   0.7
      6. AS3209   2a00::150:0:89                         90.0%    10   13.4  13.4  13.4  13.4   0.0
      7. AS3209   2a00::150:0:89                         70.0%    10   17.1  16.0  14.5  17.1   1.3
      8. AS???    misaka.bcix.de (2001:7f8:19:1::395:1)   0.0%    10   14.1  15.2  13.9  18.1   1.3
      9. AS35487  2a12:8d02:ff01::3                       0.0%    10   15.0  14.5  13.1  16.4   1.2
     10. AS35487  2a12:8d02:2100:1:5054:ff:fe7c:5f22      0.0%    10   15.0  14.5  12.9  15.5   0.9
    Start: 2023-03-12T08:58:42+0100
    HOST: nanopineo2                                                       Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
      1. AS???    192.168.0.1                                               0.0%    10    1.3   1.3   0.5   1.8   0.5
      2. AS3209   83-169-183-12-isp.superkabel.de (83.169.183.12)           0.0%    10    7.8   9.4   7.8  10.8   1.0
      3. AS3209   ip5886cb69.static.kabel-deutschland.de (88.134.203.105)   0.0%    10    9.7   9.9   5.3  11.3   1.7
      4. AS3209   145.254.3.62                                              0.0%    10   11.4  11.3   9.6  12.9   1.0
      5. AS3209   145.254.2.49                                              0.0%    10   14.3  16.1  14.3  18.7   1.4
      6. AS3209   145.254.2.49                                              0.0%    10   12.7  16.1  12.7  22.7   2.7
      7. AS???    misaka.bcix.de (193.178.185.165)                          0.0%    10   16.7  15.7  13.5  17.5   1.2
      8. AS???    ???                                                      100.0    10    0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0
      9. AS35487  45.142.247.129                                            0.0%    10   18.7  15.4  14.1  18.7   1.5

• it have free trial?

• much better with Telekom, no more detour just to reach the neighbourhood ;)

sendai@fischl:~$ mtr --report-wide -z 45.142.247.129
    Start: 2023-03-12T12:35:11+0100
    HOST: fischl                                     Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
      1. AS???    router.lan                          0.0%    10    0.3   0.3   0.2   0.4   0.1
      2. AS3320   p3e9bf037.dip0.t-ipconnect.de       0.0%    10    1.9   1.2   0.7   1.9   0.5
      3. AS3320   b-eh3-i.B.DE.NET.DTAG.DE            0.0%    10    2.5   2.9   2.2   3.6   0.5
      4. AS3320   b-eh3-i.B.DE.NET.DTAG.DE            0.0%    10    2.2   2.4   1.7   3.0   0.4
      5. AS3356   4.68.62.205                         0.0%    10    2.2   4.6   2.2  17.7   4.6
      6. AS3356   ae1.3502.edge3.Berlin1.level3.net   0.0%    10    2.4   3.0   2.3   4.4   0.7
      7. AS969    et2-lumen.cr01.ber02.de.misaka.io   0.0%    10    2.5   2.0   1.6   2.5   0.3
      8. AS???    ???                                100.0    10    0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0
      9. AS35487  45.142.247.129                      0.0%    10    2.9   2.6   2.1   3.6   0.5

• we need this promotion again

• hcjhcj Member

Is there any new code?