Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your go-to OS for VPSs and why? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is your go-to OS for VPSs and why?

2»

Comments

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited January 2023

MS-DOS 6.22

Thanked by 2jsg seb1g
  • debian, most stable small footprint. most providers support it.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2023

Debian is great choice.

Tried the SUSE many many moons ago - I think around 15 - 17 years (don’t even remember) back when it was free, different to any other Linux and for desktop was great. Personally paid $49.99 for Lindows as desktop was great and better than Windows 2000 / ME 😂

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

When I use linux I like Alpine, mostly though I use BSD because my major clients use it and want it-

Oh, and: when linux I avoid systemd like the plague.

Thanked by 2Sauron seb1g
  • emgemg Veteran

@Shot2 said:
    MS-DOS 6.22

Amazing! Do they support IPv6? ;-)

• I use TempleOS

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@henix said:
    I use TempleOS

Even cooler than MS-DOS. OTOH support for TempleOS isn't that great.

@harrison

Why this thread? What do you hope to learn?

• @emg said:

@Shot2 said:
    MS-DOS 6.22

Amazing! Do they support IPv6? ;-)

IPv6.22

Thanked by 2jsg emg
  • Debian Sid.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

No one uses Fedora?

• stonedstoned Member
    edited January 2023

@emre said:
    does it matter?

I think it kind of matters.

any current linux will do.

While any Linux distro may do, you ultimately want a sane server distro that doesn't make silly breaking decisions on updates.

The GNU user land is the same, yes, for the most part, apart from how each distro compiles their applications with distro specific patches.

apt rpm pacman wtf all the same

They are absolutely not the same in how they manage and handle dependencies and conflicts. Alpine installs packages in a completely different way. Alpine doesn't use libc6 but musl instead. Though yo didn't mention apk.

what does it matter in what format do they package something...

It could matter to someone for some reason you cannot see. Someone could be familiar with a certain package format which is easier for them to develop or patch even.

• @yoursunny said:
    No OS, keep the VPS on boot menu, idling away.

real idlers dont boot their vps

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@yoursunny said:

Yea, keep it boot looping, so you also burn CPU on every cycle.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • DediRockDediRock Member, Patron Provider

Ubuntu all day.

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

Rocky/CentOS/Oracle

• SwiftnodeSwiftnode Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2023

@harrison said:

@kait said:
    because fuck Ubuntu.

why?

I used Ubuntu (10.04 - 16.04) for my entire production setup for years, here's why I went back to Debian.

1. Requiring YAML for network configuration files is singlehandedly one of the dumbest decisions I've ever seen made. The person who even proposed such an idea as the default networking manager should have been fired on the spot, and potentially gulag'd.

2. Debian installer is near perfect, yet Canonical moved Ubuntu to subiquity, which has a ton of bugs that often create issues when PXE booting, or even sometimes when booting from a USB image.

3. Canonical decided to remove the netboot image for 22.04 LTS from the official downloads. (Though you can grab a netboot image from Michael Doyle's repo here: https://people.canonical.com/~mwh/20220523/jammy-netboot-amd64.tar.gz)

4. Ubuntu for years has encountered an issue where it sometimes has issues with NIC naming. It will define NIC1 as eno1, and then upon reboot, it will rename that interface to eth1, and after another reboot, it will go back to eno1 again. (the solution since like ~2015 has been to set GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0")

Honestly, it just seems like Canonical is making decisions that are not conducive to cohesive and reliable server environment. And there have been existing bugs ignored for nearly a decade now.

Debian > Ubuntu any day of the week.

Thanked by 2kait OhJohn
  • Debian - personal/project/core servers.

AlmaLinux/CloudLinux - production/ client servers.

Thanked by 1FatGrizzly
  • @Swiftnode said:

Thanks for the detailed response <3

• I wish more hosting providers provided a bigger variety of distros. Most are just limited to Debian/Ubuntu. If there are others, it's super outdated.

Thanked by 1emg
  • FreeBSD

• emgemg Veteran

@concept said:
    I wish more hosting providers provided a bigger variety of distros. Most are just limited to Debian/Ubuntu. If there are others, it's super outdated.

I will drop an OpenVZ VPS provider when the VPS contract expires in a few months. They have not bothered to update their operating system offerings in years. (There have been other issues, too.)

I am moving away from OpenVZ and switching to KVM VPSs for the future. With most KVM VPSs, you can install an interesting distro for yourself. Often you can install it on your own without any assistance from the VPS provider. See this website for one way to do it:
    https://netboot.xyz

• Debian, because basically every tutorial is somehow based on Debian or has special instructions for Debian. That's it, basically.

Thanked by 1bamboo4409
  • I'm really surprised that there isn't any Clear Linux following at LET given that it wins the most performance benchmark categories vs other OS's.

• @yoursunny said:

Ha ! Really ? I think the hosting provider will be unhappy ...