Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your go-to OS for VPSs and why?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What image are you using for your Linux VPSs? For what applications? Are you using Windows server too?

1. What OS do you use for VPSs usually?195 votes
    1. Ubuntu (Just Werks ™️)
      32.31%
    2. Debian FTW
      51.28%
    3. Arch btw
        0.00%
    4. Exotic (Guix/NixOS)
        3.08%
    5. Others (Centos, RHEL, OpenSUSE, etc)
      12.31%
    6. Windows Server
        1.03%

Comments

• Weekly "What OS to use" thread /here

Thanked by 2MannDude WebProject
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

No OS, keep the VPS on boot menu, idling away.

• This pull is stupid ... Where is FreeBSD? In other with Centos ... Also a lot of people on LET use Centos alternatives like AlmaLinux and RockyShit, so pool should have "Centos and alternatives" category

• Debian because fuck Ubuntu.

Want to try out OpenSUSE and RockyLinux.

• harrisonharrison Member
    edited January 2023

@kait said:
    because fuck Ubuntu.

why?

• Debian servers.
    Some Ubuntu servers.
    Alpine Linux for containers mostly as it's very lightweight.

Thanked by 1Sauron
  • I use Ubuntu with Livepatch, it works great and I get less downtime.

• nullroutenullroute Member, Host Rep

Ubuntu is a complete operating system, practical and very secure, it is ready for production and also for new users because its knowledge base on the internet is huge.
    Debian is for advanced Ubuntu users who know what they are doing - never start on Debian before trying Ubuntu.

Thanked by 1nick_
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Debian, but I've been using AlmaLinux more and more lately.

Thanked by 1kait
  • Debian for production/client stuff, Alpine on small memory VPS's, Alma/*BSD for practice.

• Slackware and yes I am a masochist. Rocky for production.

Thanked by 1emperor
  • ubuntu. it's prob not the best. but its what I know

¯_(ツ)_/¯

• Debian for 2GB ram or below
    Ubuntu for 4GB ram or above

Thanked by 1bamboo4409
  • Debian cause that's the answer I got when I asked here.

Thanked by 1bamboo4409
  • @SocksAreComfortable you wouldn't have that name if you lived in Phoenix 🌵 ☀ 🍻

• Centos / oracle linux

• Ubuntu because it has greater compatibility with management panels: Cyberpanel, aaPanel, CloudPanel, WordOPS, etc.

• @bamboo4409 said:
    @SocksAreComfortable you wouldn't have that name if you lived in Phoenix 🌵 ☀ 🍻

I dunno, pretty humid where I live, but I just stay the hell inside all day!

Thanked by 1bamboo4409
  • ailiceailice Member
    edited January 2023

I almost use Alpine Linux for any computer i have including my desktop and phone (postmarketOS)
    My SSH Jumper Running NetBSD 9.1

• Debian - simple, stable and easy to customize. Does not ruin your shit with SELinux like on RHEL-based systems. I'd rather do my own isolation based on AppArmor than use SEL.

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

AlmaLinux and Debian. No real strong feelings besides compatibility and reliability. Personal desktop I've been enjoying Mint.

Thanked by 1Abd
  • Ubuntu

• Debian and only debian

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • TrKTrK Member

Rocky and Debian only.

• Debian. Don't know why its what i first used. I like how stable it is, I like how good its documented and I especially like the spiral.

• From experience with an Debian / Ubuntu based Webcontrol panel usage is about 75% Ubuntu / 25% Debian.

It doesn't help Oracle Cloud is giving away free Ubuntu servers

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

Debian on personal servers, Almalinux on production servers.
    Both usually run KC so I don't care about kernel patches.

• Debian for servers, but I'd like to try Ubuntu as well because I have switched to using it as a desktop.

• emgemg Veteran

Lately my "go to" operating system for VPSs has been Debian. In the past, I split VPSs between CentOS and Debian. I would consider AlmaLinux (or Rocky Linux) if I feel like using a RedHat-family version of Linux on a VPS in the future.

I haven't used Ubuntu much on VPSs, but for a Linux desktop, I run the Ubuntu MATE version in a virtual machine. I never liked Ubuntu's default launcher and search style and prefer the fully supported MATE version. I was not happy when that launcher toolbar first appeared years ago.

• emreemre Member, LIR

does it matter?

any current linux will do.

apt rpm pacman wtf all the same

gnu part is always the same.

what does it matter in what format do they package something...

Thanked by 1stoned