Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Testing a Contabo VPS again after a while.... it's not THAT bad :D - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Testing a Contabo VPS again after a while.... it's not THAT bad :D

Comments

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited January 2023

I have access to both, Contabo and netcup VPS/VDS. Both provide reasonably good virtual machines and both are among the cheaper (quality) providers - and both are not high-end (and AFAIK do not strive to be).

Both have their pros and cons. With Contabo their weakness is (or at least was last time I checked) not exactly great node monitoring, which leads to a certain "lottery" factor; you may end up on a great node or on one plagued by abusers and hence significantly slower. Their forte is dedication to quality and reasonable performance and usually not being bureaucratic.
    But again, there's a reason they didn't chose the Ryzen but the Epyc route, as in "really good (but not high-end) performance and economically smart". Fun point: they actually went for and use excellent hardware for SSD and NVMe so theoretically (and on not yet occupied nodes) one should and does get very high disk speed - but alas, their node monitoring doesn't catch abusers, at least not quickly, so practically disk performance (on a more or less fully occupied node) is between acceptable and really fast ("lottery").
    Their network is OK to decent but not high-end by any means, but I happen to know that at least they really try hard to solve bottlenecks and to (albeit usually marginally) optimize connectivity.

Contabo TLDR: they strive to and usually do offer decent quality and excellent bang for the buck in the common market segment, plus I had hardly any down time in years.

netcup is (AFAIK) a purely Germany plus maybe some neighbours focused provider - and very bureaucratic and not at all flexible (Once my friend wanted to upgrade his VDS to a larger one and they simply refused and told him to buy a new larger VPS in addition to his existing one, or at the end of its contract period, end of discussion. And that after he had been a customer for years). From what I've heard they'll also hunt you down somewhere in the southern pacific on an island in case you don't pay in full for the full contract period.
    On the other hand you get really nice hardware for an attractive price, especially with their promos. As far as I know my friends netcup VDS never experienced down time, at least not of any significant duration.

netcup TLDR: "totally German" that is, mercilessly bureaucratic and stubborn but really good quality. The main reason why I personally will never buy from them is that I'm not willing to make the effort to first keep in mind the end of the contract period and to time a new purchase ("upgrade") and to then, without any support from netcup, setup the new VM and transfer all the data from the old.
    Counter example and how it should work with a fine provider: When my friend changed from one dedi to another with @AlexBarakov / AlphaVPS he was offered (without even asking) a free VPS for a week or two to ease his transition.

Hetzner - No experience with them except for once when I got access to a VPS for a week or so to benchmark it. Suffice it to say that the performance was nowhere even near to some other providers VPS for the price Hetzner asked (about €5/month). Maybe their dedis are better/more attractive.

TL;DR out of the three providers I'd go with Contabo.

Thanked by 2maverick iphonephu
  • @frakass said:
    how can I get a tax-free account on netcup? since I am not in the EU it should be tax free.

Only for business accounts, not personal.

• itsnotvitsnotv Member
    edited January 2023

@jsg said: With Contabo their weakness is (or at least was last time I checked) not exactly great node monitoring, which leads to a certain "lottery" factor; you may end up on a great node or on one plagued by abusers and hence significantly slower.

This is very true. Their support is extremely slow and unhelpful. They have added a feature where you can migrate to another DC and its done instantly. Twice when I ran into performance issues, I found it easier to just rebuild my VPS in a new DC than deal with support.

I still use them because of their dirt cheap prices in US, and they seem to be getting better.

Thanked by 1maverick
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

I have to say the single core performance for an AMD is very disappointing. @AXYZE what CPUs does netcup offer?

• ArkasArkas Moderator

BTW, I would also like to add that another German provider that has served me exceptionally well and is not mentioned a lot here is @sthosting . They are worth looking into. Once again, as is always the case. I am not affiliated with them or any provider or service, these are all my opinions.

Thanked by 2Ympker sthosting
  • @Arkas said:
    BTW, I would also like to add that another German provider that has served me exceptionally well and is not mentioned a lot here is @sthosting . They are worth looking into. Once again, as is always the case. I am not affiliated with them or any provider or service, these are all my opinions.

I have used StHosting in the past and I like it, but it's more expensive than Contabo and the point of me using Contabo for Mastodon was price

Thanked by 1sthosting
  • @Arkas said:

@sthosting is a good guy. Might be worth checking out :)

Thanked by 2Arkas sthosting
  • @Arkas said:
    I have to say the single core performance for an AMD is very disappointing. @AXYZE what CPUs does netcup offer?

AMD EPYC™ 7702 for now

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • Does anyone know a simple command or something that I could use to monitor the CPU steal over time and send me alerts when it goes above a set threashold?

So far the VPS has been behaving very well!

• ardaarda Member
    edited January 2023

I'm hosting my Mastodon instance at GreenCloud ( greencloudvps.com , google "greencloud deals" for some nice deals, won't link directly for reasons ), Currently at 4GB memory instance. Works great so far! Their deals with 8 GB memory were like half of the prices you mentioned if I recall correctly. I've been a customer of them since this summer, and currently I own 2 servers from them. @NDTN has some nice deals happening, and I'm so far a quite happy customer with them.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

@vitobotta said:
    Does anyone know a simple command or something that I could use to monitor the CPU steal over time and send me alerts when it goes above a set threashold?

Netdata

• @arda said:
    I'm hosting my Mastodon instance at GreenCloud ( greencloudvps.com , google "greencloud deals" for some nice deals, won't link directly for reasons ), Currently at 4GB memory instance. Works great so far! Their deals with 8 GB memory were like half of the prices you mentioned if I recall correctly. I've been a customer of them since this summer, and currently I own 2 servers from them. @NDTN has some nice deals happening, and I'm so far a quite happy customer with them.

URL? I found this https://greencloudvps.com/ but looks a lot more expensive>

@Advin said:

@vitobotta said:
    Does anyone know a simple command or something that I could use to monitor the CPU steal over time and send me alerts when it goes above a set threashold?

Netdata

I mean some command I can use in a crontab script to check the value and send me an email

• @vitobotta said:

@arda said:

@Advin said:

@vitobotta said:

Netdata

I mean some command I can use in a crontab script to check the value and send me an email

https://greencloudvps.com/billing/store/budget-kvm-sale
    and
    https://greencloudvps.com/billing/store/premium-kvm-sale

• Got a simple script working nicely https://gist.github.com/vitobotta/363fc042d1e2791ceecd3cc081c44514

I start it at boot with

/path/to/cpu-steal <threshold in %> <delay between checks> <email address for notifications>

Stupid simple but it works :D

Thanked by 2arda loay
  • @AXYZE said:

@vitobotta said:

@arda said:

@Advin said:

@vitobotta said:

Netdata

and

Unless I need a new pair of glasses it's much more expensive than Contabo :D

• @vitobotta said:

@AXYZE said:

@vitobotta said:

@arda said:

@Advin said:

@vitobotta said:

Netdata

and

These prices are annually, not monthly :)

• @AXYZE said:

@vitobotta said:

@AXYZE said:

@vitobotta said:

@arda said:

@Advin said:

@vitobotta said:

Netdata

and

These prices are annually, not monthly :)

Holy shit I hadn't noticed :D

How can they be so cheap? @arda what's your experience with performance and uptime?

Thanked by 1arda
  • This would be awesome for $45/year!

Is it too good to be true or are they trustworthy?

• @vitobotta said: How can they be so cheap?

You probably want to wait a little ~~
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3580277/#Comment_3580277

• BTW since I activated that monitoring I am getting frequent notifications of CPU steal higher than 5% :D

So far I haven't had any practical problem but it's interesting

• @JabJab said:

@vitobotta said: How can they be so cheap?

You probably want to wait a little ~~
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3580277/#Comment_3580277

February right? That's cool, I can wait. Do you have any servers with them already?

• @vitobotta said: BTW since I activated that monitoring I am getting frequent notifications of CPU steal higher than 5%

5% is not bad and fully expected on shared system... but that depends on how much CPU you are using at the moment - the more CPU usage the more steal (aka your VM wanted CPU, server said no).

• maverickmaverick Member
    edited January 2023

You haven't seen anything yet, this is Alwyzon VPS, and it's been working great. :smile:

• @JabJab said:

@vitobotta said: BTW since I activated that monitoring I am getting frequent notifications of CPU steal higher than 5%

5% is not bad and fully expected on shared system... but that depends on how much CPU you are using at the moment - the more CPU usage the more steal (aka your VM wanted CPU, server said no).

It's quite quiet at the moment in terms of usage. But also when I had to process a long queue of jobs for Mastodon it seemed fine. But I will definitely try GreenCloud at those prices if it's decent!

@maverick said:
    You haven't seen anything yet, this is Alwyzon VPS, and it's been working great. :smile:

That's awesome :D

• @bgerard said:
    Thanks for posting this, reminded me I had to cancel my Contabo VPS. Never had any real problems + great uptime. But my god is their object storage offering poor.

I Have tested and it was very poor

• Have they improved their Sydney network since launch?

• Was it a regular SSD, not NVME?

SSD but it was slower than my fastest microsd card.

• @vitobotta So far, so good. Only had issues once in both my VPSes in half a year, and it was known issue, and it got fixed in about a half a day, responsibe and active provider here as well. Happy customer here :blush:

• @arda said:
    @vitobotta So far, so good. Only had issues once in both my VPSes in half a year, and it was known issue, and it got fixed in about a half a day, responsibe and active provider here as well. Happy customer here :blush:

Awesome to hear. What about CPU steal? Since we were talking about that for Contabo

• @vitobotta said:

@arda said:
    @vitobotta So far, so good. Only had issues once in both my VPSes in half a year, and it was known issue, and it got fixed in about a half a day, responsibe and active provider here as well. Happy customer here :blush:

Awesome to hear. What about CPU steal? Since we were talking about that for Contabo

Would this lines from top while I'm exporting my backup and compressing help?

Exporting:

%Cpu(s): 16.6 us, 73.8 sy, 0.0 ni, 9.2 id, 0.0 wa, 0.0 hi, 0.3 si, 0.0 st

Compressing:

%Cpu(s): 67.8 us, 1.4 sy, 0.0 ni, 30.7 id, 0.0 wa, 0.0 hi, 0.2 si, 0.0 st

It rarely becomes 0.2 but almost always 0.0