Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Testing a Contabo VPS again after a while.... it's not THAT bad :D
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Testing a Contabo VPS again after a while.... it's not THAT bad :D

For my personal Mastodon instance I was using a Hetzner VPS with 4 cores and 8GB of RAM costing a total of 20 euros per month. Since it's not a critical thing for me I decided to try a Contabo VPS again for this since it's just 8 euros per month (I increased the size of the NVMe disk to 100GB).

I must say that so far it's performing quite well. CPU steal every now and then goes up a bit (expected with Contabo) but usually it's 0 or close to 0. The disk performance is actually awesome! In the past when I have tried Contabo the "SSD" disk was a joke, but this is quite different.

All in all the first impressions are that they have improved some things since last time. I will see now if I get outages and how often.

How is using Contabo here and for what kind of workloads?

Comments

• bookmarked to check back again in months

• @cybertech said:
    bookmarked to check back again in months

😅

• Where is YABS

Thanked by 1hyperblast
  • @Liso said:
    Where is YABS

I forgot to save it and there is no point running it now since there are a few things running on it already. But disk looked VERY good. Geekbench 5 was around 750 single core which is lower than what I usually get with a 4 core AMD VPS with Hetzner (900+) but it's not too bad considering the price and I haven't really seen any difference in the apps. I have now migrated my blog and another app as well to see how it goes. I haven't deleted anything in Hetzner just yet.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • I'm more interested in disk performance.

• I did a YABS even if I have stuff running:

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2022-12-29                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Sat Jan  7 01:41:04 PM CET 2023

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Uptime     : 0 days, 13 hours, 8 minutes
    Processor  : AMD EPYC 7282 16-Core Processor
    CPU cores  : 4 @ 2794.748 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 7.8 GiB
    Swap       : 0.0 KiB
    Disk       : 97.8 GiB
    Distro     : Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS
    Kernel     : 5.15.0-57-generic

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 23.29 MB/s    (5.8k) | 334.12 MB/s   (5.2k)
    Write      | 23.30 MB/s    (5.8k) | 335.88 MB/s   (5.2k)
    Total      | 46.60 MB/s   (11.6k) | 670.01 MB/s  (10.4k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 2.05 GB/s     (4.0k) | 1.70 GB/s     (1.6k)
    Write      | 2.16 GB/s     (4.2k) | 1.81 GB/s     (1.7k)
    Total      | 4.21 GB/s     (8.2k) | 3.51 GB/s     (3.4k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 191 Mbits/sec   | 199 Mbits/sec   | 11.1 ms
    Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | 191 Mbits/sec   | busy            | 13.9 ms
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 186 Mbits/sec   | 194 Mbits/sec   | 78.5 ms

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 736
    Multi Core      | 2179
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/19753292

YABS completed in 5 min 5 sec

Thanked by 2maverick greentea
  • Hetzner cloud's disk performance is far more better than contabo. Anyway for the price you can't complain

• @BingoBongo said:
    Hetzner cloud's disk performance is far more better than contabo. Anyway for the price you can't complain

See YABS above. Contabo is not bad at all in that department

Thanked by 1greentea
  • BingoBongoBingoBongo Member
    edited January 2023

@vitobotta said:

@BingoBongo said:
    Hetzner cloud's disk performance is far more better than contabo. Anyway for the price you can't complain

See YABS above. Contabo is not bad at all in that department

I never said that contabo's performance is bad. I said Hetzner's disk performance is better even the disk size is small compared to contabo.

Contabo puts some limits on disk io

Again, for the price point I have no complaint against contabo (I use both of them)

• ManishPantManishPant Member, Host Rep

@vitobotta What is location of the VPS you are using . I heard US one disk performance is much better

• @ManishPant said:
    @vitobotta What is location of the VPS you are using . I heard US one disk performance is much better

Dusserdolf, Germany

• @vitobotta said:

@ManishPant said:

Dusserdolf, Germany

IIRC their DC is in Nuremberg?

• @Kousaka said:

@vitobotta said:

@ManishPant said:

Dusserdolf, Germany

I guess they have Dusserdolf too now :D

• @Kousaka said:

@vitobotta said:

@ManishPant said:

Dusserdolf, Germany

They have DCs in Nuremberg, Munich and Dusseldorf. The Dusseldorf is the newest and new installations usual provisioned here.

• Bro, in netcup:
    4vCore, 4GB, 80GB SSD, 1Gbit @ 80TB and hourly billing for 5.55euro/mo
    4 dedicated vCores, 8GB, 160GB SSD, 2.5Gbit @ 120TB for 9.81euro/mo if you get annual contract.

Whats the point of getting Contabo for 8.50euro (if you get annual contract, if less time then you pay extra setup fees) with 200Mbps? It doesnt even have real DDoS protection likke netcup does. It doesnt have anything better. Its not even cheaper.

You are saying that cost was most important factor here, but you could just use 5.55euro/mo VPS from netcup and if you would cancel that you would get remaining momey back as its hourly billed. Double cost savings :)

• add_iTadd_iT Member
    edited January 2023

Are the cpu dedicated?

I think for $20/month is too pricey if cpu is shared + add-on for just 100GB disk

Thanked by 1ehab
  • @Kousaka said:

@vitobotta said:

@ManishPant said:

Dusserdolf, Germany

No, but netcup DC is in Nuremberg indeed so maybe you mixed up these two german providers :)

• kalimov622kalimov622 Member
    edited January 2023

@vitobotta said: I will see now if I get outages and how often.

I've had no outages whatsoever in 4 or 5 years. I remember having some network issues for a day or two first time when I purchased a few servers from them, but since then I've had 0 issues. As for the SSD performance, I personally opened a ticket with them back then addressing this subject and they removed the "default" limitation that they normally used to prevent abuse, although I have no idea if that's still a thing nowadays.
    My experience is based on DE location only.

Thanked by 1maverick
  • @AXYZE said:
    Bro, in netcup:
    4 dedicated vCores, 8GB, 160GB SSD, 2.5Gbit @ 120TB for 9.81euro/mo if you get annual contract.

Whats the point of getting Contabo for 8.50euro (if you get annual contract, if less time then you pay extra setup fees) with 200Mbps? It doesnt even have real DDoS protection likke netcup does. It doesnt have anything better. Its not even cheaper.

You are saying that cost was most important factor here, but you could just use 5.55euro/mo VPS from netcup and if you would cancel that you would get remaining momey back as its hourly billed. Double cost savings :)

I have a problematic past with Netcup, but I see your point (althout the 4c/8g is 11+ for me from looking at the website).

• @kalimov622 said:

@vitobotta said: I will see now if I get outages and how often.

I've had no outages whatsoever in 4 or 5 years. I remember having some network issues for a day or two first time when I purchased a few servers from them, but since then I've had 0 issues. As for the SSD performance, I personally opened a ticket with them back then addressing this subject and they removed the "default" limitation that they normally used to prevent abuse, although I have no idea if that's still a thing nowadays.
    My experience is based on DE location only.

Good to hear

• nocloudnocloud Member
    edited January 2023

That yabs is about 10 x the disk speed of my contabo SSD vps i had in early November 2022. Needless to say I asked for a refund, of which they made me wait a couple of days, and charged me the privilege of those days waiting.

It's not just the fact that the VPS are very sub standard, it's their contempt for their customers. I don't think I would take a free VPS from them, don't trust them at all. they remind me of this guy from Oliver Twist...

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/villains/images/2/2e/Fagin_1966.jpg

Thanked by 2maverick iphonephu
  • @nocloud said:
    That yabs is about 10 x the disk speed of my contabo SSD vps i had in early November 2022. Needless to say I asked for a refund, of which they made me wait a couple of days, and charged me the privilege of those days waiting.

It's not just the fact that the VPS are very sub standard, it's their contempt for their customers. I don't think I would take a free VPS from them, don't trust them at all. they remind me of this guy from Oliver Twist...

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/villains/images/2/2e/Fagin_1966.jpg

Was it a regular SSD, not NVME?

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited January 2023

@AXYZE said:
    Bro, in netcup:

Netcup bills you hourly, but their approach to hourly billing was quite annoying last time I used them. That's because you had to always prepay for the whole month first, then they refund unused time. So you have to prepay a lot to just spin up some big vps for a couple hours. With Vultr, Lunanode and others you can just pay a couple cents/euros run smth for a couple of hours and go.

Thanked by 1maverick
  • Thanks for posting this, reminded me I had to cancel my Contabo VPS. Never had any real problems + great uptime. But my god is their object storage offering poor.

• how can I get a tax-free account on netcup? since I am not in the EU it should be tax free.

• @vitobotta said:

@Kousaka said:

@vitobotta said:

@ManishPant said:

Dusserdolf, Germany

@adns said:

@Kousaka said:

@vitobotta said:

@ManishPant said:

Dusserdolf, Germany

They have DCs in Nuremberg, Munich and Dusseldorf. The Dusseldorf is the newest and new installations usual provisioned here.

@AXYZE said:

@Kousaka said:

@vitobotta said:

@ManishPant said:

Dusserdolf, Germany

No, but netcup DC is in Nuremberg indeed so maybe you mixed up these two german providers :)

Thanks for the info! I was with them like 3 years ago, at that time my VPS was in Nuremberg. In fact I'm quite surprised that they have been expanding so fast over the years.

• Contabo is a wild card. I have a SSD VPS which outperforms other two NVME ones, and has been like that over an year.

With so many VPS across multiple providers, now it's becoming a pain to manage lol. So, I got rid of low performance ones.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited January 2023

@Kousaka said:

@vitobotta said:

@Kousaka said:

@vitobotta said:

@ManishPant said:

Dusserdolf, Germany

@adns said:

@Kousaka said:

@vitobotta said:

@ManishPant said:

Dusserdolf, Germany

@AXYZE said:

@Kousaka said:

@vitobotta said:

@ManishPant said:

Dusserdolf, Germany

Thanks for the info! I was with them like 3 years ago, at that time my VPS was in Nuremberg. In fact I'm quite surprised that they have been expanding so fast over the years.

Weren't they bought out by Oakley Capital (iirc)? Maybe that's where the money came from.

• I always feel betrayed buy VPS from contabo, I got good impression on first month, after couple month performance was kinda randomly down (I know this shared) but its going worse :D

• @Ympker said:

@Kousaka said:

@vitobotta said:

@Kousaka said:

@vitobotta said:

@ManishPant said:

Dusserdolf, Germany

@adns said:

@Kousaka said:

@vitobotta said:

@ManishPant said:

Dusserdolf, Germany

@AXYZE said:

@Kousaka said:

@vitobotta said:

@ManishPant said:

Dusserdolf, Germany

Weren't they bought out by Oakley Capital (iirc)? Maybe that's where the money came from.

Yeah that could be a reasonable explanation, many hosts do start fast expansion after they got bought by some larger corporations.