Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CSF : Who closes online forum in holidays ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CSF : Who closes online forum in holidays ?

mgcAnamgcAna Member, Host Rep

Was trying to troubleshoot an issue related to CSF and from quick search apparently only configserver forum has discussion about that issue.
But they have closed their forums for holidays ?

So when we have holidays, we should close our internet community ? Who does that ?

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Seems like a good way to fuck your SEO.

• Cxs licenses also stopped. Seems csf is one man show going downhil.

• Maybe they dont want to have a bunch of unmoderated posts. As for SEO, I dont think they are interested in that, hehehe.

Thanked by 2yoursunny crilla
  • MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@mgcAna said:
    Was trying to troubleshoot an issue related to CSF and from quick search apparently only configserver forum has discussion about that issue.
    But they have closed their forums for holidays ?

So when we have holidays, we should close our internet community ? Who does that ?

Can't you pull up the cache?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Internet Content Provider offering user generated content is legally required to have a moderation team.
    If any objectionable posts appear, the authorities must be able to contact you by telephone, and you must delete the offending posts within 15 minutes.
    When you want to go on holidays and away from your moderation duties, you must close the forums.

• @yoursunny said: When you want to go on holidays and away from your moderation duties, you must close the forums.

It's recommended to lock it twice. You never know when some little bugger will try to break in while you're away.

Thanked by 2yoursunny GreenWood
  • @yoursunny said: When you want to go on holidays and away from your moderation duties, you must close the forums.

yeah right. How can one man moderate UGC during holidays!

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Companies use phpBB?

• That's hilarious.

• @deadpool said:
    Companies use phpBB?

Those who don't use it are shit companies.

Thanked by 1Mumbly
  • mgcAnamgcAna Member, Host Rep

Yay!, they are back. Actually they were back later that day, I think they saw this thread.

• davidedavide Member
    edited January 2023

The Italian post office monopoly used to shut down their crappy website on holidays and every day past working hours, so for a decade from the mid 2000's (when the website was first launched) to ~2015 the website was regularly offline from 7pm to 8am.

That wreckage of a website was eventually "upgraded" to only go down for 30 minutes every midnight, I suppose to take daily backups.... until eventually a few years ago it reached "feature parity" with every "It Works!" kind of website hosted on a raspberry PI behind DSL, meaning it was finally online about 99.5% of the time.

Not that the website is useful for anything anyway.

Thanked by 3sebkehl greentea pike
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@deadpool said:
    Companies use phpBB?

have you tried to upgrade the Vanilla forum? Various bugs, so from previous experience phpBB is better

@MikeA said:
    Seems like a good way to fuck your SEO.

Agree, to close forums for holidays is very odd

• @WebProject said:

@deadpool said:
    Companies use phpBB?

have you tried to upgrade the Vanilla forum? Various bugs, so from previous experience phpBB is better

For the record I’ve never been a fan of Vanilla. It was vBulletin back in the day and XF / IPB as of recent.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@mgcAna said: So when we have holidays, we should close our internet community ? Who does that ?

Good for them. It's a holiday.

@yoursunny said: Internet Content Provider offering user generated content is legally required to have a moderation team.

You are funny.

• now seem is open...

@deadpool said:

@WebProject said:

@deadpool said:
    Companies use phpBB?

For the record I’ve never been a fan of Vanilla. It was vBulletin back in the day and XF / IPB as of recent.

vBulletin and IPB great forums software, personally tried them, no issues with technical side or updates.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

With the amount of spam that forums tend to get, I don't blame them. Sometimes the best way to get the holiday off is to shutdown the server that isn't vital to anything. Considering the only legitimate posts there will be about a free product... (Paying users surely have a support path)

• Can't they set it read only? Closing totally is too much. We are living 24/7 and someone want to read forum.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@MGarbis said: Can't they set it read only?

I thought (and it's been a looooong time) that phpBB was weird in that you could set specific forums to read only but not the whole forum (and then there was locking but I think that was something else). So switching it on and off for the whole board was tedious. But I could be mistaken or things have changed.

• @raindog308 said:

@MGarbis said: Can't they set it read only?

I thought (and it's been a looooong time) that phpBB was weird in that you could set specific forums to read only but not the whole forum (and then there was locking but I think that was something else). So switching it on and off for the whole board was tedious. But I could be mistaken or things have changed.

I don't know phpBB at all. You may be correct. Forums are meant to be online and working all the time. Read only etc. features aren't first to think.

• @davide said:
    The Italian post office monopoly used to shut down their crappy website on holidays and every day past working hours, so for a decade from the mid 2000's (when the website was first launched) to ~2015 the website was regularly offline from 7pm to 8am.

That wreckage of a website was eventually "upgraded" to only go down for 30 minutes every midnight, I suppose to take daily backups.... until eventually a few years ago it reached "feature parity" with every "It Works!" kind of website hosted on a raspberry PI behind DSL, meaning it was finally online about 99.5% of the time.

Not that the website is useful for anything anyway.

The website was probably in the union.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited January 2023

something something forum powered by a hamster wheel something something let the hamster enjoy the holidays

Sauce: Googled "cute picture of an exhausted hamster"

• @raindog308 said: You are funny.

>

You are funny sunny

• My university used to shut down their site during the summer holidays (around two months in my country) I had to use the wayback machine to get info about some paperwork I had to submit the next semester

• pikepike Veteran

My university (~35k students) shuts down their whole administrative IT every day at 10 pm until next morning at like 6. That affects for example the tools that one needs to generate various documents like proof of enrollment, grades and info about payments.

• Worse, last time when their support was away, along with ticket submission, the knowledgebase was down as well. I was migrating server and had to use google cache to install/config their apps.

• @pike said:
    My university (~35k students) shuts down their whole administrative IT every day at 10 pm until next morning at like 6. That affects for example the tools that one needs to generate various documents like proof of enrollment, grades and info about payments.

Universities are pro at teaching you to be hyper active and download your stuff the moment it’s posted before something goes wrong (IT downtime, scheduled breaks or shutdowns etc), as they will blame you even if the situation was not entirely under your control and you needed to give a department some documents from their own portal.

Dealing with university bureaucracy was almost the worst experience.

• mgcAnamgcAna Member, Host Rep

I don't think they care about SEO but they can actually make a good use of their website, clearly not interested.