Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Freenom is falling apart - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Freenom is falling apart

Comments

• @kdh said:.

Yeah but I don't care if someone looks up my Personal Information.

You don't care, but maybe others do

Thanked by 2gbzret4d keytrex
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2023

I use freedns.afraid.org.
    They offer free subdomains and you can contact some domain owners in order to give you access to a subdomain of theirs.
    I use them for more than 10 years and there was downtime of a few days during that time, mostly in the beginning, some 10 years ago.
    There were even dramas with mooo.com who has been seized from them for some subdomains misbehaving.
    Give it a try, it includes very easy to use dyndns for your own domain, IUPv4 AND IPv6.
    Their mooo.com is hilarious, let alone ignorelist.com.

Thanked by 2emg issei
  • freenom later became a shi* as the control panel was not responding and/or when registered for free domain it use to go in the account after checkout but later again available for registration - inshort, every thing behind their homepage was broken. Once in a bluemoon I was able to register a free domain.

And freenom is not reliable to keep paid domains. IDK when will they delete it or their site wouldn't simply load to manage paid domain!!!!

• @TrK said:
    Why not get gTLDs like feedback, click, cyou etc they are cheaper generally around $3 for a year(registrations and renewals) instead of freenom, i had used them line in 2014-2015 and believe me no one is more cheeky then freenom!

Where can I get gTLDs like feedback, click, cyou etc for $3 for a year(registrations and renewals)?

• TrKTrK Member

@komdsfojn said:

@TrK said:
    Why not get gTLDs like feedback, click, cyou etc they are cheaper generally around $3 for a year(registrations and renewals) instead of freenom, i had used them line in 2014-2015 and believe me no one is more cheeky then freenom!

Where can I get gTLDs like feedback, click, cyou etc for $3 for a year(registrations and renewals)?

Feedback $1.49 from internet.bs, Stream around $3 from porkbun, cyou on sav 0.69 for reg and around $3 for renewal, for click go with route 53 for renewals at $3 and namecheap for reg at $1.48. What else you need? these are pretty cheap enough!

Thanked by 2mrTom komdsfojn
  • ardaarda Member
    edited January 2023

I use cloudflare + this container for my own subdomain, it's free, and I mask my origin ip address: :smiley:

https://hub.docker.com/r/timothyjmiller/cloudflare-ddns

• Be relaxed. This is just common situation for Freenom.
    From my experience in past years, Freenom often encounters various issues at weekends or on holidays. Usually the issue will be fixed next working day or next week (maybe).

• @Maounique said:
    I use freedns.afraid.org.
    They offer free subdomains and you can contact some domain owners in order to give you access to a subdomain of theirs.
    I use them for more than 10 years and there was downtime of a few days during that time, mostly in the beginning, some 10 years ago.
    There were even dramas with mooo.com who has been seized from them for some subdomains misbehaving.
    Give it a try, it includes very easy to use dyndns for your own domain, IUPv4 AND IPv6.
    Their mooo.com is hilarious, let alone ignorelist.com.

Can’t use cloudflare with those subdomains I believe.

• s/o to .tk domains used one for all of my css clans servers back in the early 2000’s

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • the end is night

• @FatGrizzly said:

@inland said:
    Funny how on the internet you can get all the stuff for free if you want to host your site - free SSL certificate, free DNS, free hosting, free email, but free domains is the single thing nobody has ever done right.

because rest aren't that costly, or theres a lot of donations popping up.

The annual registrar fees itself is $4k.
    3.5k$ application fees and lot more.

is it really that low now? 3.5k? last i heard that was 180K to roll out our own tld and like 40K yearly fees or something stupid

• Is it dead yet?

• @jmaxwell said:
    Is it dead yet?

Zombie mode acitvated.

• @LTniger said:

@jmaxwell said:
    Is it dead yet?

Zombie mode acitvated.

Ok will check after a few days

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@john_sd3 said:

@FatGrizzly said:

@inland said:
    Funny how on the internet you can get all the stuff for free if you want to host your site - free SSL certificate, free DNS, free hosting, free email, but free domains is the single thing nobody has ever done right.

is it really that low now? 3.5k? last i heard that was 180K to roll out our own tld and like 40K yearly fees or something stupid

That's just to apply as a registrar and maintain registrar status. Maintaining own tld is whole another part.

• Looks like it's back and it works just fine. I don't use Freenom for anything relevant, if I would need a short term domain I would rather get one of the cheap gTLDs. Worth the $2.

• @FatGrizzly said:

@john_sd3 said:

@FatGrizzly said:

@inland said:

That's just to apply as a registrar and maintain registrar status. Maintaining own tld is whole another part.

yeah sure but what exactly does that cost? the only documentation i have found in my cursory search is form 2012 and nothing latest so if i wanted to set up say .r4w32 what would it cost me?

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@john_sd3 said:

@FatGrizzly said:

@john_sd3 said:

@FatGrizzly said:

@inland said:

yeah sure but what exactly does that cost? the only documentation i have found in my cursory search is form 2012 and nothing latest so if i wanted to set up say .r4w32 what would it cost me?

App fees for applying for a tld is $50k

rest im not sure.

• @LTniger said:
    https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=34194555 seems degeneration begins.

What a complete shocker. They were never good anyways. Even their phone numbers don't work.

• Haven't use Freenom for years. Strange it's still online. So much bad reviews because something isn't working.
    I had free domains there years ago. I think I didn't have problems then...

@MGarbis said: I didn't have problems then...

I had problems even in the beginning. I was among the first users, probably the first months and the domain I regged to host a free gaming forum has been taken by someone else in less than half a year. I was hoping through all the hoops in excess and still...
    Maybe because I used my real data and I live in Romania.

• @Maounique said:

@MGarbis said: I didn't have problems then...

I had problems even in the beginning. I was among the first users, probably the first months and the domain I regged to host a free gaming forum has been taken by someone else in less than half a year. I was hoping through all the hoops in excess and still...
    Maybe because I used my real data and I live in Romania.

I have heard about similar incidents earlier. I don't know if I was lucky or just because the domain I had was only for testing purposes so nobody else wanted it. Was it possible to buy someone's domain if it was registered for free?

@MGarbis said: Was it possible to buy someone's domain if it was registered for free?

As far as I can remember, no, at least not without original owner's accept if they followed all the rules, but I can't rule out a technical glitch or actively looking for pretexts to cancel the domain and sell it.
    You were kinda agreeing that could happen since there was no way to appeal outside of their system and the ToS was crafted in such a way that it basically said you had no rights.

• The problem still remains :( ...

• TrKTrK Member

@david_alva2021 said:
    The problem still remains :( ...

Freenom itself is a problem and it will remain till freenom is active.

• @TrK said:

@david_alva2021 said:

Yes you are right. But Freenom was very good for me. Internet censorship is severe in the country where I live. I usually use it to get free SSL/TLS and use it for VPN (v2ray ,etc). In my country, any domain that is used to create a VPN is quickly blocked, so buying a domain is not very suitable. sorry for my poor english , I used Google translator :) .

• TrKTrK Member

@david_alva2021 said:

@TrK said:

@david_alva2021 said:

Yes you are right. But Freenom was very good for me. Internet censorship is severe in the country where I live. I usually use it to get free SSL/TLS and use it for VPN (v2ray ,etc). In my country, any domain that is used to create a VPN is quickly blocked, so buying a domain is not very suitable. sorry for my poor english , I used Google translator :) .

I get it, but why are you using domains for VPN and for censorship your country can even block the vpn protocols(some institutes do that since way earlier) the only option left is use a masking service loke shadow socks and you don't need to domain to run a VPN, IP works just fine.

• @TrK said:

@david_alva2021 said:

@TrK said:

@david_alva2021 said:

I get it, but why are you using domains for VPN and for censorship your country can even block the vpn protocols(some institutes do that since way earlier) the only option left is use a masking service loke shadow socks and you don't need to domain to run a VPN, IP works just fine.

They would ban the IP then he would be screwed. Can change the domain name easier then a new IP. Cheaper as well especially if free.

• TrKTrK Member

@AuroraZero said:

@TrK said:

@david_alva2021 said:

@TrK said:

@david_alva2021 said:

They would ban the IP then he would be screwed. Can change the domain name easier then a new IP. Cheaper as well especially if free.

Masking the VPN traffic would be better choice.

• @TrK said:

@AuroraZero said:

@TrK said:

@david_alva2021 said:

@TrK said:

@david_alva2021 said:

Masking the VPN traffic would be better choice.

I agree but to each their own. You know the saying you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

This discussion has been closed.