Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you use telegram bot to order servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

E-commerce in messengers is quite popular now. But what about the client's point of view? Would you use a telegram bot to order a VPS or dedi? What do you expect from such a bot?
Most e-commerce solutions for messenger now offer roughly the same features as any website:

• Registration with confirmation by email and/or phone;
  • Convenient catalog of services;
  • Shopping cart with order editing function;
  • A wide list of different payment methods;
  • Online support directly in the messenger.

You do not need to leave messenger - all stages of the order are processed inside the messenger.

Thanked by 1treesmokah
  1. Would you use telegram bot to order servers?137 votes
    1. Yes
      14.60%
    2. No
      85.40%

Comments

• I think that's more of a Russian thing.

• Please don't.

Thanked by 1rustelekom
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

No, entering more than your email and a password in any app, is a pain in the arse.
    Especially if you have to fill payment information.

Thanked by 1rustelekom
  • Telegram I trust and use at least a few hours per day but not at all comfortable trusting some bot with financial info.

Thanked by 1rustelekom
  • emgemg Veteran

No, I would not use telegram to order goods and services. I do not use telegram. In their present form, I would not use a messenger application as a platform for ordering goods and services. The messenger applications I have used are not well equipped for authentication nor payment safety, not that browsers are so perfect.

Thanked by 1rustelekom
  • rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

Thanks to all for comments!

• absolutely no

• What is telegram? Is it nowadays telegraph?

• No I prefer dealing directly with the provider

@LTniger said:
    What is telegram? Is it nowadays telegraph?

https://telegram.org/

• While I use Telegram quite frequently, I do not really see the point to order service on that. Why use a chat platform to order when you have a large screen ti browse websites on?

@Kousaka said:
    While I use Telegram quite frequently, I do not really see the point to order service on that. Why use a chat platform to order when you have a large screen ti browse websites on?

I think this is just a common trend for developers. Most of them want to create a super app. Like WeChat in China.

These days, most young people just don't have a computer. They just don't need it at all. The smartphone replaced the PC. You can order any goods, plane tickets, to the cinema or to a concert, find a friend, order a taxi, food for breakfast, play games, listen music, watch for movie and so on.

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited December 2022

@jmaxwell said:
    Telegram I trust and use at least a few hours per day but not at all comfortable trusting some bot with financial info.

Telegram doesn't use end-to-end encryption by default, and for group chats it is not even possible. Not sure if it is possible to do this with bots. And last time I checked, they use some in-house crypto instead of a well-audited standard like Signal protocol.

I know some kids don't even have email address these days and do everything on their smartphone, but I wouldn't trust this platform for handling sensitive details like a CC number.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

I would say it depends, there are few techs those are immensely popular in our place but I don't use them. May be I don't trust them or may be I am reluctant go for new thing.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I don't use Telegram.
    Can you make it an Alexa skill?

• Depends. If they can change your for example from mobile phone not a good idea.

If everyone can buy with renewal and automátic payment I shouldn't use...

• @jiggawattz said:

@jmaxwell said:
    Telegram I trust and use at least a few hours per day but not at all comfortable trusting some bot with financial info.

Telegram doesn't use end-to-end encryption by default, and for group chats it is not even possible. Not sure if it is possible to do this with bots. And last time I checked, they use some in-house crypto instead of a well-audited standard like Signal protocol.

E2E is for private chats and audio calls. No E2E for regular chats and group chats so they can be synced to cloud and multi device support is possible. IMO it is a perfect blend of privacy, security and convenience. And telegram’s MTProto 2.0 is audited and seen as on par with signal’s encryption compared to their old MTProto 1.0. Signal on the other hand is..meh. Secure for sure but that’s pretty much it. Clumsy UI and the requirement of phone number and now with their decision to remove native sms support for android, those 11 people who were using it will also now ditch it.

I know some kids don't even have email address these days and do everything on their smartphone, but I wouldn't trust this platform for handling sensitive details like a CC number.

True for now. They are aggressively expanding their paid stuff offerings with integrated crypto payments so regular payment could also come someday.

@yoursunny said:
    I don't use Telegram.
    Can you make it an Alexa skill?

Alexa is not popular in Russia. Various analogues are used here, such as Alice (the most popular), Marusya, Oleg and several others. But I haven't seen the product ordering system yet.

@jmaxwell said:
    True for now. They are aggressively expanding their paid stuff offerings with integrated crypto payments so regular payment could also come someday.

Yes, professionals are against it, but most people don't worry about their personal data. Many young people pay for smartphone games, apps, etc. Yes, they are still paying with Google or Apple, but the border is very thin, and I assume that third-party payment gateways will be widely used very soon. The consumer usually doesn't want to know anything - he just wants to pay and get his product /service quickly and easily.

• @rustelekom said: These days, most young people just don't have a computer. They just don't need it at all. The smartphone replaced the PC. You can order any goods, plane tickets, to the cinema or to a concert, find a friend, order a taxi, food for breakfast, play games, listen music, watch for movie and so on.

Ordering consumer goods is not the same as ordering a server. Of course you can install a ssh client on your cell phone to manage a server, but i guess most people use a stationary computer.

@rustelekom said: but most people don't worry about their personal data

just because people are careless doesn't mean they don't care about their data!

@crilla said:

@rustelekom said: These days, most young people just don't have a computer. They just don't need it at all. The smartphone replaced the PC. You can order any goods, plane tickets, to the cinema or to a concert, find a friend, order a taxi, food for breakfast, play games, listen music, watch for movie and so on.

Ordering consumer goods is not the same as ordering a server. Of course you can install a ssh client on your cell phone to manage a server, but i guess most people use a stationary computer.

Depends on the usage. We have a customers who don't know what SSH is, but buy VPS. Mainly for use as his own VPN server. And there are already many free or paid applications on the market that meet their requirements. For example: https://en.amnezia.org /. With it, they only need to install the application and fill in the necessary fields (server IP address and root password) to get VPN access for their devices. In just a few minutes.
    The same applications that, I believe, exist to set up their own sites, telegram bots or something else.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

No.

What's wrong with just using a normal billing portal? What benefit would exist over using Telegram?

• Amazon laying off a bunch of Alexa workers because they thought people wanted to order stuff easily this way.

They don't.

• @emg said:
    I do not use telegram.
    @LTniger said:
    What is telegram? Is it nowadays telegraph?
    @yoursunny said:
    I don't use Telegram.

Apart from a couple of arguable implementation decisions, Telegram is the best messaging app nowadays.
    And surely the best free alternative to Slack.

But while I actively use it both for personal and work-related communication, and have my own bots, I doubt I'd use Telegram for purchases.

IMO, such attempts to crank everything possible into an app, which wasn't designed for that, look at least unnatural.

@MannDude said:

No.

What's wrong with just using a normal billing portal? What benefit would exist over using Telegram?

I'm old enough, so I have fewer arguments :) I am prefer just browser:)
    But young people (12-18 years old) he uses smartphones very actively and prefers to use Super App applications. For example, it is not uncommon for a bank (say, Sber) or search system (say, Yandex) to offer many goods/services in one application. You can order and pay for travel, tickets, meals, music and videos, and so on. And consumers now do not see anything strange in this, they are already used to it.
    Therefore, they do not think that e-commerce in messenger is something extraordinary, and they are ready to use it like any other super-application.
    Telegram in such a situation is trying to be just a new provider that provides the consumer with its own super application.
    BTW: They are actively working on the introduction of their own cryptocurrency (TON) and the already used TON wallet.

@TimboJones said:
    Amazon laying off a bunch of Alexa workers because they thought people wanted to order stuff easily this way.

They don't.

I have a voice-controlled TV as well as a voice-controlled smartphone. But it seems like a toy to me. Voice control is not as useful as it seemed. Of course, if you come to a dark place, you will be happy if light is shed on you. But why do you need to say "turn on the light" when it can be implemented (and it has already been implemented in fact) automatically? The technology itself must be used properly.

• I don't want to send over any of my sensitive information including my password through Telegram. I will be happy to get some service notification service with Telegram, but I don't want to order or manage my account with it.

• emgemg Veteran

What irritates me is the proliferation of companies (and everyone else) who are desperate to get their custom apps installed on my phone. Every fast food brand, grocery store brand, retail brand, technology company, etc. is pushing me HARD to do it. In some cases, I buy a product, only to learn that I must install an app on my phone to register it or activate it or use it, sometimes where it is obvious that the app is not necessary.

If you want to take advantage of sales and other bargains you may have to install an app, or the deal does not apply. I am shocked at advertisements on television tied to apps - those very expensive ads are wasted unless an app is installed, so it must pay off. Not through me.

Thanked by 2MannDude dystopia

@emg said:
    What irritates me is the proliferation of companies (and everyone else) who are desperate to get their custom apps installed on my phone. Every fast food brand, grocery store brand, retail brand, technology company, etc. is pushing me HARD to do it. In some cases, I buy a product, only to learn that I must install an app on my phone to register it or activate it or use it, sometimes where it is obvious that the app is not necessary.

If you want to take advantage of sales and other bargains you may have to install an app, or the deal does not apply. I am shocked at advertisements on television tied to apps - those very expensive ads are wasted unless an app is installed, so it must pay off. Not through me.

Yes, I agree. When H&M, Mark & Spencer and some other companies left Russia, I freed my smartphone from their applications and saw an increased battery life :) And for what reason do they want me to install their app? Just to send me a lot of unwanted information and collect my personal data. But without this app you have lost their discounts on them, and also you cannot use their customer loyalty program. Previously, it was enough to use a customer card to participate, but manufacturers now want to know much more about their customers. But, unfortunately, I think we, those who understand the danger of such information, are more and more in the minority. Total control over people is needed not only by states, but also by companies.

Thanked by 1emg
  • @rustelekom said:

@MannDude said:

No.

I'm old enough, so I have fewer arguments :) I am prefer just browser:)
    But young people (12-18 years old) he uses smartphones very actively and prefers to use Super App applications. For example, it is not uncommon for a bank (say, Sber) or search system (say, Yandex) to offer many goods/services in one application. You can order and pay for travel, tickets, meals, music and videos, and so on. And consumers now do not see anything strange in this, they are already used to it.
    Therefore, they do not think that e-commerce in messenger is something extraordinary, and they are ready to use it like any other super-application.
    Telegram in such a situation is trying to be just a new provider that provides the consumer with its own super application.
    BTW: They are actively working on the introduction of their own cryptocurrency (TON) and the already used TON wallet.

Sber and Yandex are russian, ask any teenager in Europe what they are and they will have no idea. I think the whole concept with "super apps" is more of a asian/russian thing.

But to answer your original question: no, I would never use a Telegram bot to order servers.
    Why? Because Telegram is a chat application. That's like using a fork to eat soup. You might be able to make it work, but it sure as hell is not what it was intended for.