Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where in US would be best to register a company?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Where in US would be best to register a company?

HannanHannan Member, Host Rep

Hi guys,

We need to get an ASN from ARIN and I was wondering where in US is best to register? In case of Taxes and etc...

Comments

• denellumdenellum Member, Host Rep

@Hannan said:
    Hi guys,

We need to get an ASN from ARIN and I was wondering where in US is best to register? In case of Taxes and etc...

Where you live.

Thanked by 2jar Erisa
  • It depends up on your use case and on how you plan to run the company.

Lets say for example that you're only looking to register a company for just the sole purpose of getting an ASN, you should also consider the amount of paperwork you'll have to keep up with just to keep that company active beyond the first year.

In this context is where you'll have to weight the Pro's and Con's between "C" corp vs "S" corp vs "LLC" vs "PBC", etc.

Some of the paperwork include filing Taxes, Annual Reports, Disclosure Reports, etc. based on what type of company you've registered.

Finally, there is this question about location, i.e. which State should I pick to register the company.

You might have read online that many prefer to register in Delaware, because they don't enforce State Tax for companies that don't do business within the State. There are Pro's and Con's for registering in Delaware as well.

Definitely do spend the time to research, evaluate and decide.

• Delaware

Thanked by 3jiggawatt ralf hozan
  • HannanHannan Member, Host Rep

The company will be used just for an ASN. There will be no sales or anything like that. Still, need all that?

• You are most definitely asking the wrong crowd.

Find a tax attorney, prepare your questions before-hand, pay for two hours, get it all out.

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited December 2022

@emgh correct.
    I would say find a CPA. (Certified Public Accountant).
    They will guide you through the correct process. Anyway you will need somebody to fill your reports, might as well use that CPA.

Some states are better than others in terms of taxes.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited December 2022

No @emgh @Hxxx

It’s very common to incorporate a company (LLC is simplest) in U.S. states which don’t have corporate tax (Delaware, Wyoming, Nevada) and foreigners can do it too. It’s all done online. Don’t need a CPA.

Wyoming is good. One time setup fee + annual fee to the State and annual fee to the registered agent. Can file “zero” reports if there are no assets in the State and the registered agent does all of this.

Thanked by 2JasonM Hannan
  • @jiggawattz said:
    No @emgh @Hxxx

It’s very common to incorporate a company (LLC is simplest) in U.S. states which don’t have corporate tax (Delaware, Wyoming, Nevada) and foreigners can do it too. It’s all done online. Don’t need a CPA.

Wyoming is good. One time setup fee + annual fee to the State and annual fee to the registered agent. Can file “zero” reports if there are no assets in the State and the registered agent does all of this.

It's also very common to treat cancer but that dosen't mean I'd do it myself.

• @emgh said:
    It's also very common to treat cancer but that dosen't mean I'd do it myself.

But this is not cancer, nor is it anything which requires a CPA or lawyer.

OP just needs a legal structure to receive an ASN. Not necessary to have any income or assets. This is a typical use case for a State LLC.

Thanked by 1Hannan
  • nessanessa Member, Patron Provider

Nevada, Delaware, and Wyoming

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Hannan said:
    The company will be used just for an ASN.

And a free /22 IPv4?

• @yoursunny said:

@Hannan said:
    The company will be used just for an ASN.

And a free /22 IPv4?

Or a bought /22 - it doesn’t matter.

• Delawar.

• To be honest I wouldn't take advise from any public online forum in regards to business decisions. In the end if something goes wrong you are the one that is going to pay for the mistakes. Get a professional to help you with this.

Thanked by 2emgh Daniel15
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@LTniger said:
    Delawar.

Does balenciaga sell company registrations?

edited December 2022

@Hxxx You just don't know how this works in the U.S. OP is not moving assets around or doing anything that would trigger tax inspection.

It's trivial to do a little research from reputable sources online and setup a state LLC. Sounds like OP has already done this for his use case since he is just asking which state is best. @Hannan I can refer you to a registered agent in Wyoming, just PM me.

Thanked by 1Hannan
  • @Hxxx said: To be honest I wouldn't take advise from any public online forum in regards to business decisions. In the end if something goes wrong you are the one that is going to pay for the mistakes. Get a professional to help you with this.

That's the thing. You ask a public forum of people who aren't actually knowledgeable on this you're going to get low quality answers.

But OP hasn't spent any time really looking at it so it's up to them if this screws up. I have no duck in this race so... Whatever.

My recommendation: Really do hire a CPA, it's not a lot of money (a few hundred dollars) and their advice will give you guidance that'll make you a lot more in $$$.

Thanked by 2emgh Hxxx
  • I would have to agree. This is the wrong place to ask stuff like this. Hire a lawyer, and know it's done the right way.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @jiggawattz said: You just don't know how this works in the U.S.

Apparently getting professional advice is not how it works in the U.S.

edited December 2022

@emgh said:

@jiggawattz said: You just don't know how this works in the U.S.

Apparently getting professional advice is not how it works in the U.S.

Correct, it’s not necessary to hire a CPA or lawyer to incorporate an LLC in the U.S. We make this easy so it’s easy to do business. All of you telling him to hire one are making this unnecessarily complicated because you don’t understand how this works.

@ivlad said:
    I would have to agree. This is the wrong place to ask stuff like this. Hire a lawyer, and know it's done the right way.

No, you hire a registered agent, not a lawyer.

@HalfEatenPie said:
    But OP hasn't spent any time really looking at it so it's up to them if this screws up. I have no duck in this race so... Whatever.

Yes, he really did look at it, because he understands that you register a legal entity to get an ASN. He just wants a recommendation on what State, and there are 3 good ones for this use case.

Thanked by 1Hannan
  • @jiggawattz Hey GG man. You certainly know more than anyone, ya for sure...

for sure...

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @jiggawattz said: Correct, it’s not necessary to hire a professional to incorporate an LLC in the U.S. We make this easy so it’s easy to do business. All of you telling him to hire a CPA are making this unnecessarily complicated because you don’t understand how this works.

Why the nationalist complex?

As someone who started two companies in Sweden, incorporated as aktiebolag, the equivalent to an LLC, as well as have a very baisc grasp of the process in the U.S. - I'd like to point out that we actually have a far superior system.

What you guys pay agents to set up, we do completely online with only our phones in a few minutes time, tops.

Still, as somebody who's always done it all himself (I didn't even get in contact with anyone, learned it all and handeled everything myself), I'd GLADLY have spent a few hundred bucks to save hours and hours of Googling every question that comes to mind regularly.

Creating a structure where your time is spent earning money how you know best is FAR superior to a DIY mindset handeling companies.

• @Hxxx said:
    @jiggawattz Hey GG man. You certainly know more than anyone, ya for sure...

for sure...

I do. I have an LLC for a similar purpose and know how it’s done.

• Everyone here has an LLC man that's the thing! Even me. @jiggawattz doesn't mean is the same process for everyone. Best advise is to get help from a professional. Sometimes things go wrong and having a professional at hand will make things easier.

Thanked by 2emgh HalfEatenPie
  • emghemgh Member
    edited December 2022

@Hxxx said:
    Everyone here has an LLC man that's the thing! Even me. @jiggawattz doesn't mean is the same process for everyone. Best advise is to get help from a professional. Sometimes things go wrong and having a professional at hand will make things easier.

Exactly, if you get a good regular contact, really short questions like these can often be email and responded to for free.

• @jiggawattz said: No, you hire a registered agent, not a lawyer.

A lawyer helped me. Cost me $150. Registered agents are not the only way.

• @Hxxx said: Everyone here has an LLC, man that's the thing! Even me. @jiggawattz doesn't mean is the same process for everyone

Exactly

• @ivlad said:

@jiggawattz said: No, you hire a registered agent, not a lawyer.

A lawyer helped me. Cost me $150. Registered agents are not the only way.

NO! I HAVE DONE IT ANOTHER WAY AND SINCE I HAVE THESE ARE MY CONCLUSIONS:
    1. EVERYONE SHOULD DO WHAT I DID
    2. DOING ANYTHING ELSE IS IMPOSSIBLE
    3. I AM VERY SMART
    4. SEE ABOVE

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited December 2022

@jiggawattz said: Correct, it’s not necessary to hire a professional to incorporate an LLC in the U.S. We make this easy so it’s easy to do business. All of you telling him to hire a CPA are making this unnecessarily complicated because you don’t understand how this works.

I guess this is a difference in what we expect the outcome to be.

My interpretation of OP asking about what state to incorporate in is focused on financial risk management. They have a small request (just getting a company registered for ASN), and want to know the easiest state to operate this in with the least amount of work.

In general, yes Wyoming, Delaware, etc. are the best go-to states to register an LLC in as an external entity due to either tax policies or operational requirements. However, you can get higher levels of confidence in this information if you:

1. Read the documents
    2. Spend a little bit of $$$ to talk with a CPA

The reason why I also recommend talking with a CPA is that they'll also try to understand your full situation and give you a more tailored/personalized advice based on your situation that also minimizes risks to you and your usecase.

E.g., we have a CPA on retainer. We have a request for a new contract outside of what we usually do. We can put it through the primary business but that may introduce potential legal liabilities. So the CPA recommended a different strategy than what we originally expected. We managed our potential risks. We risk less to get more $$$. It cost a negligible amount more money too. A few hundred dollars (hell a few thousands) and a six pack of good beer is nothing compared to the value of what you earn.

Most of the time you'll be fine probably going with any one of those 3 states. But you want to do it right and minimize your exposure (especially when it comes to filing taxes)? Go with a professional who knows what they're talking about (not a lawyer, you don't need a lawyer for this. Well you can but others who are cheaper can help).

It's easy to take on risk. Why do you think everyone asks (and why big corporations spend millions on) how to minimize risk? What may be true for you or me may not be true for OP.

But then again. It's not my money on the line so... what do I care.

Thanked by 1bakageta
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

As to the original question, I think Delaware is the most convenient.