Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many visitors can handle a small VPS? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many visitors can handle a small VPS?

2»

Comments

• Well, I just discovered loader.io, and I sent 1000 requests in one minute, and I guess the results are very good. The server was obviously already set up with the website and everything, and the website is also cached. 

Response Times
    Average 69 ms
    Min/Max 49 / 181 ms

Response Counts
    Success 1000 Timeout 0
    400/500 0 / 0 Network 0

Bandwidth
    Sent 105.47 KB
    Received 206.67 MB

Redirects
    Valid 0
    Invalid 0

I am really happy with the loading time while the server was attending to the request. Actually, the response time is also really good.

I hope this information will help other users as well.

• @Sapcedor said:
    Well, I just discovered loader.io, and I sent 1000 requests in one minute, and I guess the results are very good. The server was obviously already set up with the website and everything, and the website is also cached. 

Response Times
    Average 69 ms
    Min/Max 49 / 181 ms

Response Counts
    Success 1000 Timeout 0
    400/500 0 / 0 Network 0

Bandwidth
    Sent 105.47 KB
    Received 206.67 MB

Redirects
    Valid 0
    Invalid 0

I am really happy with the loading time while the server was attending to the request. Actually, the response time is also really good.

I hope this information will help other users as well.

See? No worries like I told you. This server is way more than enough. :)

Just don't bloat it with 10 different apps, 10 monitoring agents & 30 Wordpress plugins and it will fly.

Thanked by 1Sapcedor
  • for website load tests, I usually use k6 https://k6.io
    you need another vps to access your website, and do a test by setting the number of virtual users and duration,
    this is an example script with 100 virtual users

import http from 'k6/http';
    import { check, sleep } from 'k6';
    export let options = {
      stages: [
        { duration: '10s', target: 100 },
        { duration: '40s', target: 100 },
        { duration: '10s', target: 0 },
      ],
    };
    export default function() {
      let res = http.get('https://lowendtalk.com');
      check(res, { 'status was 200': r => r.status == 200 });
      sleep(1);
    }

cache + cdn really helps wordpress site

Thanked by 1Sapcedor
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@alilet said:

@Sapcedor said:
    I am sorry guys, but I do not understand what those numbers means, are you talking about connections? 69, 76, 42, 55 only?

push ups

A small VPS can handle about 200 push-ups before it breaks.
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/176394/did-push-ups-break-a-ryzen-nexril-dallas

Thanked by 1alilet
  • Just get shared hosting. So much less headache and more productive.

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • @AXYZE said:
    There's way to get very close to web server caching speed with page cache easy of use.
    For Nginx you have "Cache Enabler" plugin.
    For Litespeed you have "LiteSpeed Cache".
    These plugins will generate pages that are sent directly from web server, but they also make sure that cache will be invalidated if you make changes to pages.
    USE THEM.
    Why I'm saying its "very close to web server"? Because if you do custom config for nginx you can tweak a lot of things, modify page with pagespeed module, create cache in tmpfs in order to have everything in RAM etc. but 99% people shouldn't go that far.

Thanks for your detailed explanation for newbie learners. As Cache Enabler and Litespeed Cache plugins are for client side WordPress cache, so what are the server side cache to use for Litespeed and Nginx servers?

Just don't bloat it with 10 different apps, 10 monitoring agents & 30 Wordpress plugins and it will fly.

Do monitoring agents also bloat? What about online monitoring websites?

• @kidrock said:

@AXYZE said:
    There's way to get very close to web server caching speed with page cache easy of use.
    For Nginx you have "Cache Enabler" plugin.
    For Litespeed you have "LiteSpeed Cache".
    These plugins will generate pages that are sent directly from web server, but they also make sure that cache will be invalidated if you make changes to pages.
    USE THEM.
    Why I'm saying its "very close to web server"? Because if you do custom config for nginx you can tweak a lot of things, modify page with pagespeed module, create cache in tmpfs in order to have everything in RAM etc. but 99% people shouldn't go that far.

Thanks for your detailed explanation for newbie learners. As Cache Enabler and Litespeed Cache plugins are for client side WordPress cache, so what are the server side cache to use for Litespeed and Nginx servers?

Do monitoring agents also bloat? What about online monitoring websites?

Both Cache Enabler and Litespeed Cache are for server side.
    For client side you only need to set correct cache headers, nothing more.
    https://kinsta.com/knowledgebase/add-expires-headers-wordpress/

One monitor agent is not a bloat, 10 of them is.

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • fazarfazar Member
    edited December 2022

I have experience to host a wordpress blog on 1 vCPU/512MB ram VPS. it can handle 16k daily unique visitors without problem using LEMP stack + cloudflare and caching plugin.

Thanked by 2Sapcedor nick_
  • I can handle a small vps just not small bobs

• YuzhenQinYuzhenQin Member, Host Rep

@Sapcedor said:

@Calin said:
    Depend on what you hosted on this WordPress website , it s very complicated for explained

Depend, for example simple text website don t use lot of traffic, But if you have only pictures, or videos will be a massive use of traffic

Regards,
    Calin

Let's say that is a normal blog. Some pictures obviously, but no videos.

And it also depends on your plugins and theme.

• For the curious people interested in this, I checked the same WordPress site and the same server with 10.000 requests in one minute, and the results are not bad at all.

The average response time is excellent, I would say.

Response Times
    Average 27 ms
    Min/Max 19 / 287 ms

Response Counts
    Success 10000 Timeout 0
    400/500 0 / 0 Network 0

Bandwidth
    Sent 1.03 MB
    Received 2.02 GB

Redirects
    Valid 0
    Invalid 0

An important detail is that the page size is 2.6 MB (home). The positive point here is that the VPS is really good for the exercise, and the cost, if I remember correctly, is around 16 USD per year.

Have a good day!

Thanked by 1emg