Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Production site vps suggestion - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Production site vps suggestion

2»

Comments

• I have a few lowend vps from inception, hosthatch, ramnode and virmach.

But for this production server, I am looking for something solid.
    I don't want to jump to something and find out 3 months later that the service degraded.

Thank you all for your valuable input. :)

• @Hxxx said:
    @AXYZE but the issue is your GOD tier, are they better than your GOOD tier?

Yes. GOD tier are providers you cant go wrong with. Solid all around.

Whereas with Vultr you have no ddos protection
    With OVH you dont get fast support unless you pay for business support plan
    Hetzner has couple of quirks like you need to pay 2 invoices in order to get port 25 unblocked. So you can't send mails for 2 months after activating server on fresh accounts. Their dedicated CPU offer is not that great pricing-wise and last time I checked... it still had CPU steal so its just like netcup root server, but 3x more expensive.

Thanked by 1BluBoy
  • @Sapcedor said:
    I still suggest you take a look at Contabo VPS. I am using that service and have never had an issue with them, and it is actually powerful hardware running under AMD Epyc.

It's funny because just last week, a colleague asked me for a recommendation, because he has been having nightmares about Contabo for two months... As if the experiences are different ...

Thanked by 1badhon_raj
  • Inception is great too!

• @badhon_raj said:
    hetzner is asking for my passport.
    That's a bummer :disappointed:

I think it's either a passport/ID Verification OR add 20 EUR credit via Paypal. I registered 2+ years back and chose paypal credit option. Worked fine. It's actually better this way to avoid spammers/abuse.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • mgcAnamgcAna Member, Host Rep

Get a dedicated server, there are still few nice BF nice deals around.
    Only thing is that you should be good in managing server yourself, or else buy managed services, save your time and use that time to improve your site + profits.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • When it comes to high traffic site, I always choose to get a dedicated, then setup a few big VM on it. This ensure stability, easy to maintain, backup and migrate if needed.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Probably you want to setup a kubernetis clusted to loadbalance and make everything avaible 24/7

• how is netcup root server?
    Do they ovesell? or do they have any weird issue like hetzner?

• @badhon_raj said:
    how is netcup root server?

works great, previously used Hetzner dedi, now using netcup root.

Thanked by 1badhon_raj
  • @commercial said:
    It's funny because just last week, a colleague asked me for a recommendation, because he has been having nightmares about Contabo for two months... As if the experiences are different ...

All the negative stories I've heard about contabo are in their german data centers. their other locations don't seem to have any issues other than mediocre disk performance.

Thanked by 1commercial
  • @Kodis said:

@badhon_raj said:

netcup is asking for my ID.
    Is this mandatory? is there any other way? Like someone mentioned paying $20 bill for hetzner is an alternate way to verify account.

• @badhon_raj said:

@Kodis said:

@badhon_raj said:

Is this mandatory? is there any other way? Like someone mentioned paying $20 bill for hetzner is an alternate way to verify account.

Seems that times become darker and darker. For that issue there are specialized 'privacy' providers. I don't think there is much you can do about that. And it def sucks

• @badhon_raj said:

@Kodis said:

@badhon_raj said:

Are you unable to provide ID or just don't want to?
    For the latter, https://incognet.io/ might suit you.

• @trungkien said:
    When it comes to high traffic site, I always choose to get a dedicated, then setup a few big VM on it. This ensure stability, easy to maintain, backup and migrate if needed.

How many visits per day would you qualify as high traffic site?

• @mgcAna said:
    Only thing is that you should be good in managing server yourself, or else buy managed services, save your time and use that time to improve your site + profits.

Wouldn't it be better to have several VPS distributed around the world?

• Surprised that no one mentioned AWS lightsail. The pricing seems to be decent. Are there any hidden charges besides what is mentioned on their pricing page? Am I missing something?

@gabydup said:

@mgcAna said:

Wouldn't it be better to have several VPS distributed around the world?

Depends upon his setup and need.

And nobody is talking about his target region, eg. if you and your audience are from US then you probably want to have server in that region.

• Ethernetservers... boss company amazing uptime and for what your paying with digital ocean I've got a fully managed ovz vps with them direct admin included (non managed is cheaper, but George is amazing and always willing to help)

• For cheapest go with contabo(used 5years for production site)
    For mid-range go with buyvm/hostcram/greencloudvps/hosthatch(hostcram and gcv have lighting fast machines)
    For high-range go with ovh or hetzner dedi/ramnode/vultr/aws/liquideweb/leaseweb/

It would be better if you mention your daily traffic.

Thanked by 1badhon_raj
  • personally I would avoid contabo, I had an SSD VPS for 2 hours, asked for a refund as the "SSD" disk speed in yabs was slower than a microSD card on my raspberry Pi on 4k IOPS. Which I suspect was the reason I got repeated 504 errors when testing.

I requested the refund, after 2 hours, they did refund me but it took 2 days, of which they changed me prorata for these days.

Basically, terrible service and product.

Thanked by 1badhon_raj
  • badhon_rajbadhon_raj Member
    edited November 2022

@tjn said:

@badhon_raj said:

@Kodis said:

@badhon_raj said:

I don't want to.

DO, linode, ramonode, inception, virmach, hosthatch, aws didn't ask for my ID.
    I don't need something super privacy oriented.
    Just don't want to provide ID/passport unless I really have to.

@_abhishek said:
    Surprised that no one mentioned AWS lightsail. The pricing seems to be decent. Are there any hidden charges besides what is mentioned on their pricing page? Am I missing something?

I've used lightsail, pricing is similar to DO. So no point in jumping.

@gabydup said:

@trungkien said:
    When it comes to high traffic site, I always choose to get a dedicated, then setup a few big VM on it. This ensure stability, easy to maintain, backup and migrate if needed.

@bdspice said:
    For cheapest go with contabo(used 5years for production site)
    For mid-range go with buyvm/hostcram/greencloudvps/hosthatch(hostcram and gcv have lighting fast machines)
    For high-range go with ovh or hetzner dedi/ramnode/vultr/aws/liquideweb/leaseweb/

"Hight" traffic is really relative.

I guess mine are not that high after all.

I get less than 500GB outbound web traffic in a month.

• I use HostSolutions in production. My services have been involucrated and my business is thriving...

Thanked by 1drizbo
  • @badhon_raj said:

@tjn said:

@badhon_raj said:

@Kodis said:

@badhon_raj said:

I don't want to.

DO, linode, ramonode, inception, virmach, hosthatch, aws didn't ask for my ID.
    I don't need something super privacy oriented.
    Just don't want to provide ID/passport unless I really have to.

@_abhishek said:
    Surprised that no one mentioned AWS lightsail. The pricing seems to be decent. Are there any hidden charges besides what is mentioned on their pricing page? Am I missing something?

I've used lightsail, pricing is similar to DO. So no point in jumping.

@gabydup said:

@trungkien said:

@bdspice said:
    For cheapest go with contabo(used 5years for production site)

"Hight" traffic is really relative.

I guess mine are not that high after all.

I get less than 500GB outbound web traffic in a month.

Web traffic didn’t tell how much user you have. I have daily 2000uniqe user with 7-8k hits. Use 10-14TB bandwidth a month. Because users stream contents. Tell us user user & hits. So we can suggest you machines

Other factor how resource hungry your script is. Wordpress is known to hog down resources even for simpler tasks when its loaded with plugins. I have seen a dedi crawling with bad WP even for few hundred concurrent users while similar Dedi could handle many thousands of concurrent users for custom coded CMS.

Simple advice, if you are happy with current provider, then switch only if you have radical savings, else its not worth.

Or go for 1 month, or trial if works, stick or ask refund.