Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Production site vps suggestion
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Production site vps suggestion

badhon_rajbadhon_raj Member
edited November 2022 in Help

Hi all.

Wanted to know which company would you use/trust for a production server.
I have a few high traffic sites which are currently hosted on a 4cpu/8gb digital ocean instance.

They recently increased the price from $48 to $56 per month.

Would you suggest any cheaper alternative that can rival the performance?

Or should I stick with DO?

I don't want any compromise on the performance/uptime/connection speed.
That is the number one priority.

Location can be usa or uk.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. :)

Comments

• Ohh, check Contabo

Thanked by 1badhon_raj
  • AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

Hetzner Cloud is great, around $16/month for 8GB Memory and 4 AMD EPYC vCores in both Europe and the United States with 20 Gbps network connectivity.

They are very reliable, hourly billed, and also provide features such as snapshots + block storage. It would probably blow your DigitalOcean VPS out of the park.

• Vultr
    AMD/Intel, between $40 and $48 -> 4 vCPU / 8 GB RAM
    Good uptime, 27 worldwide locations

Thanked by 1badhon_raj
  • There's a few really good hosts with deals going on right now (as I'm sure you saw before posting this).

There are a couple of missing pieces that would help someone help you find a good host if you're looking for production-quality-but-good-deal:

• Type of content you are storing/serving
    • Amount/type of storage
    • Monthly transfer
    • Any necessary port speed requirements
    • How much support/hand holding you need
    • Any unique requirements in terms of OS or other things that are easy to overlook

Without knowing any of that, I'd say to look at ServaRica's offerings. They're in Canada, but with the sort of connectivity that would have one believe they're centrally located in the USA.

Specifically their Mammoth Storage is on sale right now for an amazing price: $20/mo for 8GB RAM, 4 CPU, 8TB HDD storage, and 8TB monthly transfer. I'm considering adding a Mammoth to my services with them, as well, as it's really hard to beat that price. They have other offers in their thread that span from $5-100/mo, so good chances of finding something close to what you want.

But if you're hosting adult content or doing torrenting or things like that, you're gonna hate them. Probably a bad choice for things like shoes too.

And if you have a requirement for KVM in particular, they're also out as they use Xen (just like AWS and other big players, but unlike most of the players you'll find on LET).

BTW with any provider, if you're going to need a lot of assistance, you'll probably want to sign up for one of their standard offers rather than a BF-type special: many providers make it very clear that they offer support for deeply discounted deals at a lower priority than higher paying customers. And, really, that's just good business in the end as you don't want to jeopardize profits for the sake of being extremely fair. (Though one does want to give the discounted customers reasonable service for their price point, as well: they're good word of mouth sometimes.)

(Also not a shill; I legit have been very happy with their services since I signed up some time ago! I've looked at their offerings enough, and purchased enough, that I'm pretty confident in being able to point out their strengths and weaknesses. I'm not as able to do that with other providers.)

Thanked by 1servarica_hani
  • You can choose OVH. 4c,8GB at 20$

• Hetzner is awesome. I am currently using it for prod.

• AWS, GCP, Azure.

• Netcup?

• I'd recommend Hetzner, been using their service for two years and never had any issues.

• take a kimsufi dedicated box if your budget is 25$ you will be much happy with the service it will be dedicated box so full cpu power is yours. if you have less than 25$ budget then go for vps ovh , contabo , hudsonvalleyhost , known host , netcup

• I still suggest you take a look at Contabo VPS. I am using that service and have never had an issue with them, and it is actually powerful hardware running under AMD Epyc.

Here's a package that might be of interest to you. 

CLOUD VPS M
    €10.49 / month
    6 vCPU Cores
    16 GB RAM
    100 GB NVMe or 400 GB SSD
    2 Snapshots
    32 TB Traffic
    Unlimited Incoming

I also like Hetzner, which is actually a Contabo competitor (both German companies), and I think that they offer unlimited traffic, but you need to check if 32 TB of outgoing traffic is enough for you because, for the price, Contabo seems like a very nice offer.

The good feature I like about them is that snapshots are included, which is actually great for production environments.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Thanks everyone for awesome response.
    I'll sure look into hetzner.

To answer @lewellyn

• WordPress sites, news sites mainly. Nothing illegal/controversial
    • 100gb should be enough.
    • not sure. 1tb?
    • nothing out of ordinary. i.e. web/email/ssh etc
    • no support required unless there's some problem on provide end.
    • no special os requirements. Latest centOS/debian will be enough.
    Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @Sapcedor said:
    Ohh, check Contabo

There prices seems very low compared to other providers. I've always been sceptic about them.
    Are there servers good enough compared to DO/AWS?

• I've been using Hetzner in production for years - moved away from DO/Linode.

• @Sapcedor said:
    I still suggest you take a look at Contabo VPS. I am using that service and have never had an issue with them, and it is actually powerful hardware running under AMD Epyc.

CLOUD VPS M
    €10.49 / month
    6 vCPU Cores
    16 GB RAM
    2 Snapshots
    32 TB Traffic
    Unlimited Incoming

I also like Hetzner, which is actually a Contabo competitor (both German companies), and I think that they offer unlimited traffic, but you need to check if 32 TB of outgoing traffic is enough for you because, for the price, Contabo seems like a very nice offer.

The good feature I like about them is that snapshots are included, which is actually great for production environments.

Is this a BF deal or normal deal?

Also, could we run windows server on it?

• @badhon_raj said:
    Thanks everyone for awesome response.
    I'll sure look into hetzner.

To answer @lewellyn

• WordPress sites, news sites mainly. Nothing illegal/controversial
    • 100gb should be enough.
    • not sure. 1tb?
    • nothing out of ordinary. i.e. web/email/ssh etc
    • no support required unless there's some problem on provide end.
    • no special os requirements. Latest centOS/debian will be enough.

FWIW, I've never liked hetzner for production-quality stuff, myself. Their network is not-great (I got tired of chasing Peer because he kept resetting connections all the time!) and their policies are unfriendly. And they seem to be extra-hostile if you're American. :( (Experiences of myself and some people I know IRL. May not be typical, and may no longer be the case. But I've seen enough grumbling over the years to believe that it's not exactly been a history of being extraordinarily atypical.)

But to tailor my recommendation better based on the requirements you listed, this is available on ServaRica's BF thread:

NVMe Tiger/ 10GB/ 4CPU/ 150GB / 4TB transfer on 1gbps / 1x IPv4 / 10$_m/110$_y

I am feeling old looking at that offer. I remember paying $10/mo for 10GB of OVZ disk and 150GB transfer with like 0.4 CPU via some LEB deals long ago! XD

But beyond that, that Contabo deal that @Sapcedor mentioned looks pretty sweet too.

In the end, you're gonna have to figure out what you want, and how much extra you want to pay for a better known name. With those well-known-by-everyone names, some of what you're paying for is the advertising.

So if the providers advertise more on places like LET than national newspapers and YouTube ads, those savings are going to be passed on to you. But on the other hand, the well-known names are less likely to up and disappear some day and are more likely to be acquired if they want out of the industry.

But there are definitely no guarantees any which way as evidenced by even the behemoth of Geocities getting out of web hosting years ago by just shutting down even though they had enough users to pay for it being an ongoing concerns.

There are some solid offerings in the community. There are some pretty OK offerings in the name brand space. In the end what matters is that you get a deal that you feel treats you fairly.

Thanked by 1servarica_hani
  • @shajeeafzal said:

@Sapcedor said:
    I still suggest you take a look at Contabo VPS. I am using that service and have never had an issue with them, and it is actually powerful hardware running under AMD Epyc.

CLOUD VPS M
    €10.49 / month
    6 vCPU Cores
    16 GB RAM
    2 Snapshots
    32 TB Traffic
    Unlimited Incoming

This is the normal price. During Black Friday, they just discount the setup fee or the location fee (if you choose another location than Germany).

Thanked by 1shajeeafzal
  • @shajeeafzal said:

@Sapcedor said:

CLOUD VPS M
    €10.49 / month
    6 vCPU Cores
    16 GB RAM
    2 Snapshots
    32 TB Traffic
    Unlimited Incoming

Forgot to mention about Windows Server. Yes, I think they are offering you the license for an extra price.

Thanked by 1shajeeafzal
  • hetzner is asking for my passport.
    That's a bummer :disappointed:

• Go with netcup.de RS 2000 G9.5

• @badhon_raj said:
    hetzner is asking for my passport.
    That's a bummer :disappointed:

That would be one of the unfriendly policies I mentioned XD

• @badhon_raj said:
    Hi all.

Wanted to know which company would you use/trust for a production server.
    I have a few high traffic sites which are currently hosted on a 4cpu/8gb digital ocean instance.

They recently increased the price from $48 to $56 per month.

Would you suggest any cheaper alternative that can rival the performance?

Or should I stick with DO?

I don't want any compromise on the performance/uptime/connection speed.
    That is the number one priority.

Location can be usa or uk.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. :)

Hello I offer something a little cheaper and can scale you up to 10Gbit with no charge.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited November 2022

God tier: netcup, PHP-Friends, Avoro
    Good tier: Hetzner, Vultr, OVH, ReliableSite, RackNerd

Still testing: GreenCloud (will probably go to good tier)

Don't buy: Contabo, SSDNodes and IONOS

For US none of my "god tier" are available as they are EU only.

So for US locations:
    Go with RackNerd on $1-$3 per month ($11.11 yearly plan in my signature)
    Go with Hetzner on $10-$20 per month.
    Go with OVH (dedicated or VPS Elite) if you need something in $25-$100 range.
    Go with ReliableSite if you need something in $50-$150 range.

If your priority is "performance/uptime/connection speed." then Hetzner is sweetspot.
    EPYC Zen2, network speeds around 8-10Gbps to close locations, very nice disk speeds.

Racknerd has only 1Gbps max, 11 year old CPUs in this price range so I would suggest to choose it only as failover or for hobby projects.

• I would honestly expect @AXYZE GOD tier to be Azure, AWS and Google Cloud Compute.
    Having a hard time figuring out your choices.

Thanked by 2Doragon hampered
  • Inceptionhosting deal are good

Also Liteserver

I think both provider are qualify for production

They also have promotion here

Thanked by 1LiteServer
  • badhon_rajbadhon_raj Member
    edited November 2022

@Hxxx said:
    I would honestly expect @AXYZE GOD tier to be Azure, AWS and Google Cloud Compute.

this is exactly what I want to know.

How good are netcup/hetzner/xyz etc compared to these?

same? If same, how are there pricing sustainable? it's like 1/4th price for similar config.

I'm looking to pay upto $40/month but the server has to be solid. Not oversold.
    I am doubtful of hetzner/contabo

also, are vultr really 2nd tier? there pricing is on par with DO, Linode, RamNode aws etc

• @Hxxx said:
    I would honestly expect @AXYZE GOD tier to be Azure, AWS and Google Cloud Compute.

... why?

If you want to straight up host several sites (probably Wordpress) on EC2/Compute Engines then... you're wasting your money (and OP wants do decrease his $56 bill) and you will get way worse service in terms of support and performance (as hyperscalers require you to get big locally attached disks to get good IO, "normal SSD"-tier is slow as fuck).

It's not you should even think about for such usecase.

You need to have specific architecture and specific usage for hyperscalers.

Hyperscalers are overrated for 99% businesses, VPSes and baremetal are way better solutions.

Things change when you want to use seperate mail service (like Amazon SES), serverless functions where you can setup a lot of microservices, deploy managed databases, use text-to-speech, use image recognition.

But that's not what majority is doing.

• @AXYZE but the issue is your GOD tier, are they better than your GOOD tier?

• @badhon_raj said:

@Hxxx said:

this is exactly what I want to know.

How good are netcup/hetzner/xyz etc compared to these?

same? If same, how are there pricing sustainable? it's like 1/4th price for similar config.

I'm looking to pay upto $40/month but the server has to be solid. Not oversold.
    I am doubtful of hetzner/contabo

also, are vultr really 2nd tier? there pricing is on par with DO, Linode, RamNode aws etc

Vultr doesn't have DDoS protection (only $10 protection addon which is good up to 10Gbps only lol, so its like no protection at all) where "god tiers" on my list have solid protection for websites included in price.

I don't put DO on good tier, because Vultr has better performance, better pricing, nice bare metal offers.

• Go with @InceptionHosting

8 CPU Cores (Equal Share - E5-2640v4)
    16 GB Ram
    320 GB Disk space (SSD Cached)
    72000 GB Bandwidth @ 1 gbit (shared)
    4 x IPv4 address
    1 x /64 IPv6
    Free Direct Admin on request
    DDOS Protected
    €200 /year

3 available

Order link: https://clients.inceptionhosting.com/index.php?rp=/store/uk-kvm-virtual-servers/uk-kvm16384

Just select annual payment for the discount.

Thanked by 1badhon_raj