Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you use VPS to generate income? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you use VPS to generate income?

13»

Comments

• rent it out to other suckers.

• my vps only generate costs and traffic through intensive yabsing.

• emgemg Veteran

@Advin said:
    There are some (very niche) cryptocurrencies that could probably make you a profit mining on VPS's, I know some people who used to mine on VPS's or even RockPi/Raspberry Pi's because it made them enough profit to justify the expenditure.

@kidrock said:
    As the crypto market is bearish these days, do you know which ones are profitable?

I have no actual data to back this up, but my feeling is that any profitable method that you may find will not remain profitable over time.

To me, it feels like a pyramid scheme, where the developers of the new coin or method make huge profits, the earliest adopters make modest gains, and the vast majority lose money.

Does anyone here remember the pyramid parties of the late-1970s? It was a fad. I was there and watched it unfold. A small minority made a lot of money. They flashed a lot of cash and were buying cars and cocaine and luxury items. The vast majority of people lost a lot of money. Sometimes it was their college money or life savings. It unfolded over a six to nine month period, if I recall correctly.

My circle of friends were physics and math people. We were never taken in, but we saw it all around us. We did our best to warn our friends and friends-of-friends. We also witnessed those would not listen or succumbed to the excitement, which was followed by the inevitable flame-out, panic, and desperation. It was sad to watch, and so predictable. (My girlfriend at the time was a grad student in Sociology. A few people in that department lost a lot of money, including two young professors who should have known better.)

One difference between the two is scale. With the pyramid parties, a group of people had to show up at the same place and time to exchange real cash. I saw cash on a scale of hundreds and thousands of dollars. With cryptocurrencies and the scale of the internet, we're seeing losses in the billions of dollars.

To be clear, cryptocurrencies are not pyramid schemes, but the sociological aspects of the two seem to have much in common, at least to me.

Thanked by 3dev077 kidrock openid
  • AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

@emg said:

@Advin said:
    There are some (very niche) cryptocurrencies that could probably make you a profit mining on VPS's, I know some people who used to mine on VPS's or even RockPi/Raspberry Pi's because it made them enough profit to justify the expenditure.

@kidrock said:
    As the crypto market is bearish these days, do you know which ones are profitable?

I have no actual data to back this up, but my feeling is that any profitable method that you may find will not remain profitable over time.

To me, it feels like a pyramid scheme, where the developers of the new coin or method make huge profits, the earliest adopters make modest gains, and the vast majority lose money.

Does anyone here remember the pyramid parties of the late-1970s? It was a fad. I was there and watched it unfold. A small minority made a lot of money. They flashed a lot of cash and were buying cars and cocaine and luxury items. The vast majority of people lost a lot of money. Sometimes it was their college money or life savings. It unfolded over a six to nine month period, if I recall correctly.

My circle of friends were physics and math people. We were never taken in, but we saw it all around us. We did our best to warn our friends and friends-of-friends. We also witnessed those would not listen or succumbed to the excitement, which was followed by the inevitable flame-out, panic, and desperation. It was sad to watch, and so predictable. (My girlfriend at the time was a grad student in Sociology. A few people in that department lost a lot of money, including two young professors who should have known better.)

One difference between the two is scale. With the pyramid parties, a group of people had to show up at the same place and time to exchange real cash. I saw cash on a scale of hundreds and thousands of dollars. With cryptocurrencies and the scale of the internet, we're seeing losses in the billions of dollars.

To be clear, cryptocurrencies are not pyramid schemes, but the sociological aspects of the two seem to have much in common, at least to me.

Essentially they would mine a very niche coin, sell it to people or trade it on a specific platform, and then once it crashed they would move onto another coin or something else.

Thanked by 3seenu kidrock emg
  • Presearch :)

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • @socialzzz said:
    Presearch :)

Is it profitable to run a node there as minimum requirement is 4,000 PRE?

• @kidrock said:

@socialzzz said:
    Presearch :)

Is it profitable to run a node there as minimum requirement is 4,000 PRE?

no idea, i know some people that have about 40 vps running it making some money

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • My VPS not Generate income. But I track with my VPS my Shares and ETFs with Portfolio Performance. And with that i can check and buy new shares.

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

I spun up a VPS under oracle cloud, deployed an openvpn server. Sold VPN profiles each at 1$ p/m to my non technical hostel friends for them to access blocked content. Profit.

Thanked by 2kidrock ariq01
  • They make me feelings of productivity.

• @FatGrizzly said:
    I spun up a VPS under oracle cloud, deployed an openvpn server. Sold VPN profiles each at 1$ p/m to my non technical hostel friends for them to access blocked content. Profit.

That’s interesting because non technical ones usually just use one of the five million free vpn apps available online without thinking twice.

edited December 2022

@jmaxwell said:

@FatGrizzly said:

That’s interesting because non technical ones usually just use one of the five million free vpn apps available online without thinking twice.

Semi technical ones. Not that much of technical, but technical

Thanked by 2Void Liso
  • @FatGrizzly said: I spun up a VPS under oracle cloud,

The free oracle tier ?

@Liso said:

@FatGrizzly said: I spun up a VPS under oracle cloud,

The free oracle tier ?

Yup

• Weird all the people debating whether a VPS generates income or not

it's just a super cheap way to host web content. It depends on what you host