Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you use VPS to generate income? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you use VPS to generate income?

Comments

• @emg said:

@kidrock said:
    Can I use VPS for VPN as well as host a website on the same server?

Yes. It can be done easily.

@anon667 said:
    I would not use a VPS for a VPN and a webiste. You should use two separate servers for that. Personally I would rather use a webhost for a website but that's just me.

Would you care to explain why it is so important to run the two functions on two different servers?

When VPN activity isn't legally or morally kosher. You don't want your business to be associated with whatever sick foot fetish this guy has.

Thanked by 1emg
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

I used to mine monero in the early days, where cpu mining was decent.
    Could pay my KS-4C monthly with it and still earn 5$ each month, by using 50% of its CPU power.

It was at idle anyway, so no loss.

Thanked by 2kidrock Void
  • I use several vps that are quite stable for client websites, while nat vps for personal vpn

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    1. Buy rare VPS with credit card, earn 5% cashback from credit card.
    2. Sell VPS in Service Transfers category, earn 5~10% from recipient.
  • @quanhua92 said:

@ariq01 said:

@quanhua92 said: Kubernetes clusters

How do you learn Kubernetes cluster on VPS? Is it supposed to have big ram and CPU intensive right? while CPU cores on VPS are fair share usage.

You can setup on Racknerd without problem. GreenCloudVPS will randomly shutdown Kubernetes nodes. I use K3s so it should use less resources than the original K8s. If you worry about the shared usage, you can buy VDS from phpfriends or server-factory.
    Keep in mind that the upfront cost for a few servers is nothing compared to the compensation from writing articles.

Do you have experience with green cloud shutting down servers because of kubernetis ? Wtf of the policy is that ?

• @Neoon said:
    I used to mine monero in the early days, where cpu mining was decent.
    Could pay my KS-4C monthly with it and still earn 5$ each month, by using 50% of its CPU power.

It was at idle anyway, so no loss.

Now crypto mining is not allowed or not profitable?

• @yoursunny said:
    1. Buy rare VPS with credit card, earn 5% cashback from credit card.
    2. Sell VPS in Service Transfers category, earn 5~10% from recipient.

Good one.... 10% earning :D

• @gMan33 said:

@quanhua92 said:

@ariq01 said:

@quanhua92 said: Kubernetes clusters

How do you learn Kubernetes cluster on VPS? Is it supposed to have big ram and CPU intensive right? while CPU cores on VPS are fair share usage.

You can setup on Racknerd without problem. GreenCloudVPS will randomly shutdown Kubernetes nodes. I use K3s so it should use less resources than the original K8s. If you worry about the shared usage, you can buy VDS from phpfriends or server-factory.
    Keep in mind that the upfront cost for a few servers is nothing compared to the compensation from writing articles.

Do you have experience with green cloud shutting down servers because of kubernetis ? Wtf of the policy is that ?

Their policy is clearly stated in TOC. The problem is Kubernetes constantly uses CPU to check the state of clusters. More pods mean more CPU usages. That's why they shut down the servers.

• I usually use mine to keep my professional skills honed. I suppose that indirectly counts as "mak[ing] [me] some money" XD

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • @kidrock said:

@Chuck said:
    We are helping the economy by putting it to idle.

Good contribution to economy. But who is helping you to pay the subscription? :D

Se what you do is buy those big packs of bottled water in plastic bottles with food stamps, then you empty them out in the parking lot and return them for the deposit refund which they pay you in cash. You take that cash to pay for a nice collection of low end VPS's spread across the planet and idle them. Then you make map of where all your VPS servers are to put on a dashboard. Wash and repeat every few months.

Thanked by 2greentea lanefu
  • Wait you can make money from vps whoaaa

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

A VPS is like a stay-at-home wife, used only for certain desires and will not generate income.

• Other than idling , does anyone used proxy sharing services ( basically you make your VPs as a proxy and sell to ppl ) does it violates tos of providers ?

• @aqua said:
    A VPS is like a stay-at-home wife, used only for certain desires and will not generate income.

İ'm still single

• emgemg Veteran

@anon667 said:

Yes to both for most VPS providers. Crypto mining is not allowed by VPS providers. If your VPS provider actually allows crypto mining (good luck finding one!), it won't be profitable.

VPS providers do not object to crypto mining per se. What they object to is the impact of the load on the other VPSs on the same physical server. That excessive share of the load would be caused by the crypto mining performed by your one lonely VPS. All the other VPSs on that same server would suffer performance issues.

Furthermore, crypto mining is not generally considered profitable on a VPS, period. If it were, then VPS providers would be using their hardware for crypto mining instead of renting them out as VPSs. No pesky customers with complaints, to start. It is the same logic that explains why people do not buy up computer hardware and plug them into their home electrical outlets to mine crypto.

If you insist on running crypto mining from your VPS, find a provider and tell them what you want to do. They will charge you more, or maybe offer a full-on dedicated server of your own. You can divide up a dedicated server into many VPSs, all mining crypto, or just use the dedicated server as a single crypto miner. Any way you work it out, you are likely to lose money.

There was one recent LowEndTalk member who insisted that they had found a way to make large profits through a crypto mining scheme with VPSs. They insisted that it was already making them large profits. Of course they never explained the details. I was not going to call them a liar, but I confess here that I did not believe their claims. Search for their thread here on LowEndTalk; it happened in the last few months.

Thanked by 2kidrock dev077
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@ariq01 said:

@aqua said:

İ'm still single

@dustinc gift him a wife(wee pee sss)

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • YABS 24/7 to generate incoming abuse notification

• Here is the plan so far....

• Here are some ( theoretical) ideas from my side ( of course besides idling )
    1. You can lower price for services you are already using , by deploying own services ( VPN , storage , website monitoring etc )
    2. You can share your bandwidth (basically your VPs become a proxy server ) probably this leads to some kind of troubles with your providers , but some may allow
    3. You can run a crypto validator node ( this requires hi end VPs ) proof of stake of course , and stake some coins
    4. You can deploy microservices and sell on places like rapidapi

Thanked by 3dev077 kidrock vairav
  • @patro said:
    I give you an answer that might help. I do embedded programming and one of the things that I need is to compile kernels for ARM processors. I have many ARM SBCs but I found out that using ARM servers to compile kernels is a lot faster than doing a cross compile on my PC or doing a native compile on SBCs that I have.

This is not the only use of VPSs that I have for me but it is an example. What I use my VPSs for is to speed up and automate the daily things that I need to do. By doing that I have more free time to earn money or to enjoy my life.

may i know which provider do u use. i would like to try arm server as well

• @raknaz said:

@patro said:
    I give you an answer that might help. I do embedded programming and one of the things that I need is to compile kernels for ARM processors. I have many ARM SBCs but I found out that using ARM servers to compile kernels is a lot faster than doing a cross compile on my PC or doing a native compile on SBCs that I have.

This is not the only use of VPSs that I have for me but it is an example. What I use my VPSs for is to speed up and automate the daily things that I need to do. By doing that I have more free time to earn money or to enjoy my life.

may i know which provider do u use. i would like to try arm server as well

Oracle cloud gives free arm (and quite powerfully VPs )

• In my niche area, sales & marketing,
    most of companies use Zapier, Airtable for their Growth Hacking usage, with crazy budgets ...
    For small process, you could deploy similar solutions with open sources apps like n8n, NocoDB, etc.
    It's just about lead generation, nothing critical requiring 99.9%. as long as the job is done ...
    A VPS is very good for small customers, or just to build demonstration models...

• ninjatkninjatk Signature Restricted

please don't ask people what they use it for; they have a million reasons for using VPS. When I sell something I will never ask anyone how they use and why they chose it. Only took the money.

• VPS is the last thing you need to generate income.

• logaritselogaritse Member
    edited December 2022

Just put "Hello World" :# for idlers

may be i custom it with "Hello Income" :p

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

@gMan33 said:
    Other than idling , does anyone used proxy sharing services ( basically you make your VPs as a proxy and sell to ppl ) does it violates tos of providers ?

I don't think running proxy sharing services on VPS's make a profit or even a decent income, only if the VPS IP is marked as residential, then it might make some profit.

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

@emg said:

@anon667 said:

Yes to both for most VPS providers. Crypto mining is not allowed by VPS providers. If your VPS provider actually allows crypto mining (good luck finding one!), it won't be profitable.

VPS providers do not object to crypto mining per se. What they object to is the impact of the load on the other VPSs on the same physical server. That excessive share of the load would be caused by the crypto mining performed by your one lonely VPS. All the other VPSs on that same server would suffer performance issues.

Furthermore, crypto mining is not generally considered profitable on a VPS, period. If it were, then VPS providers would be using their hardware for crypto mining instead of renting them out as VPSs. No pesky customers with complaints, to start. It is the same logic that explains why people do not buy up computer hardware and plug them into their home electrical outlets to mine crypto.

If you insist on running crypto mining from your VPS, find a provider and tell them what you want to do. They will charge you more, or maybe offer a full-on dedicated server of your own. You can divide up a dedicated server into many VPSs, all mining crypto, or just use the dedicated server as a single crypto miner. Any way you work it out, you are likely to lose money.

There was one recent LowEndTalk member who insisted that they had found a way to make large profits through a crypto mining scheme with VPSs. They insisted that it was already making them large profits. Of course they never explained the details. I was not going to call them a liar, but I confess here that I did not believe their claims. Search for their thread here on LowEndTalk; it happened in the last few months.

There are some (very niche) cryptocurrencies that could probably make you a profit mining on VPS's, I know some people who used to mine on VPS's or even RockPi/Raspberry Pi's because it made them enough profit to justify the expenditure.

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • @Advin said:
    I don't think running proxy sharing services on VPS's make a profit or even a decent income, only if the VPS IP is marked as residential, then it might make some profit.

How to check whether the VPS ip is residential or not?

• @Advin said:
    There are some (very niche) cryptocurrencies that could probably make you a profit mining on VPS's, I know some people who used to mine on VPS's or even RockPi/Raspberry Pi's because it made them enough profit to justify the expenditure.

As the crypto market is bearish these days, do you know which ones are profitable?