Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you use VPS to generate income?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you use VPS to generate income?

With so many VPS offers here and everyone buying, restocking them, what do you use these VPS to make you some money?
What are the options available to use these VPS to recover the subscription cost and generate passive income (even a few $ per month) thereafter?

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@yoursunny said: VPS are designed for idle

Yes, and putting it to idle is putting it into "Production".

Thanked by 2gbzret4d greentea
  • web site + google ads?

Thanked by 2kidrock greentea
  • neel_qeruneel_qeru Member, Host Rep

People who buy low end VPS on LEB/LET aren't the people who are trying to make money on it. They use the VPS for "personal" and "hobby" stuff, like a website, personal VPN, gameserver, et al.

Maybe a small business may take one.

People making money of VPS (other than hosts) are likely to use AWS, Azure, GCP, maybe OVH or DigitalOcean.

Thanked by 2DP greentea
  • let ... lie idle

Thanked by 1greentea
  • Maybe... Just run YABS :)

Thanked by 1zcorps
  • without placing orders every year for a bundle of servers, MJJs won't be happy, and if they are not happy enough, they cannot be working efficiently, thus couldn't be rewarded with reasonable and justifiable salary or income, generated.

Thanked by 1gramsax
  • A lot of my vps just stay idle. They said thats call collection. :|

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • We are helping the economy by putting it to idle.

• @Chuck said:
    We are helping the economy by putting it to idle.

Doing gods work.

• @Edward_S said:
    A lot of my vps just stay idle. They said thats call collection. :|

You buy VPS to keep them idle? Isn't that a waste of money unless you cover at least the subscription charge?

• @Chuck said:
    We are helping the economy by putting it to idle.

Good contribution to economy. But who is helping you to pay the subscription? :D

• A VPS might make you money the same way a hammer might make you money.

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@kidrock said:

@Edward_S said:
    A lot of my vps just stay idle. They said thats call collection. :|

You buy VPS to keep them idle? Isn't that a waste of money unless you cover at least the subscription charge?

Just cancel it if you can't cover the subscription costs, or transfer it to someone else

• oriendoriend Member
    edited November 2022

VPS is suppose to make money?!

• I give you an answer that might help. I do embedded programming and one of the things that I need is to compile kernels for ARM processors. I have many ARM SBCs but I found out that using ARM servers to compile kernels is a lot faster than doing a cross compile on my PC or doing a native compile on SBCs that I have.

This is not the only use of VPSs that I have for me but it is an example. What I use my VPSs for is to speed up and automate the daily things that I need to do. By doing that I have more free time to earn money or to enjoy my life.

• If you don't know why you need a VPS, then you don't really need one. There isn't a magic piece of software you can install and all of the sudden your instance generates huge amounts of cash.

I see four common use-cases
    1) You already have a project / product you want to use it for. Say host website or an API for a product you have created.
    2) Hobby projects for yourself, your friends and family. Host an email domain, nextcloud, minecraft server and similar.
    3) Learn about technology, set up test systems just to see how you do things "on the web".
    4) Some sort of seed service

Only use-case 1 really generates direct income; and it's your idea and product that generates that income, not the VPS itself.

Thanked by 3sh97 dev077 ariq01
  • MumblyMumbly Member
    edited November 2022

@kidrock said: Isn't that a waste of money

I get a lot of that regarding hobbies I enjoy or things I collect, but hey that's a life.

@kidrock said: But who is helping you to pay the subscription?

We have a day job, but life is more than just work, hence personal hobbies... ;-)

At some point of my life, maybe 15 years ago or so when webproxy networks were still a thing I actually monetized my VPSes with a regular cheque from google adsense and other adverts programs, but despite the income it wasn't that fun...

• @Mumbly said:
    At some point of my life, maybe 15 years ago or so when webproxy networks were still a thing I actually monetized my VPSes with a regular cheque from google adsense and other adverts programs, but despite the income it wasn't that fun...

So why don't you utilize the idle VPS to monetize from adverts program now? Though it may not be fun but hey money is money :)

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited November 2022

@kidrock said:

@Mumbly said:

So why don't you utilize the idle VPS to monetize from adverts program now? Though it may not be fun but hey money is money :)

I have a day job to earn money and hobbies to waste it.
    I utilize VPSes for hobbies (as example to run nice local community via thelounge/inspircd) not for earning money.
    Life isn't just work, but also hobbies, little passions, etc... :)

• emgemg Veteran

There are 101 uses for a small server out there on the open internet. I always have one or two small servers for whenever the need arises. They are part of my arsenal of tools for helping customers, friends, and family.

You do not have to think of a VPS as a little engine running 24x7 and churning out a small income.

You can also think of a VPS as a wrench in your toolbox, ready for when you need it to do a job. You may present a bill to the customer for the job, but not for the VPS's role in the job.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

A few options can be used:

• install e-commerce store and sell something;
    • install shared hosting control panel and sell hosting;
    • develop/install saas software and sell services;
    • create a website for community, sell services or ads on your website;
      Other options are available just think out of box
  • I use mine for the following, Nextcloud, VPN, Unifi Controller, UISP, Jitsi

Thanked by 2kidrock greentea
  • My VPS are purchased to be idle. It isn't a waste of money. Why?
    I buy VPS to learn about new technology. Setting up Nginx servers, Kubernetes clusters. Then, I used these knowledge to write articles for hosting companies and earn a bunch of cashes.

• @anon667 said:
    I use mine for the following, Nextcloud, VPN, Unifi Controller, UISP, Jitsi

Can I use VPS for VPN as well as host a website on the same server?

• @quanhua92 said: Kubernetes clusters

How do you learn Kubernetes cluster on VPS? Is it supposed to have big ram and CPU intensive right? while CPU cores on VPS are fair share usage.

• @kidrock said:

@anon667 said:
    I use mine for the following, Nextcloud, VPN, Unifi Controller, UISP, Jitsi

I would not use a VPS for a VPN and a webiste. You should use two separate servers for that. Personally I would rather use a webhost for a website but that's just me.

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • @ariq01 said:

@quanhua92 said: Kubernetes clusters

How do you learn Kubernetes cluster on VPS? Is it supposed to have big ram and CPU intensive right? while CPU cores on VPS are fair share usage.

You can setup on Racknerd without problem. GreenCloudVPS will randomly shutdown Kubernetes nodes. I use K3s so it should use less resources than the original K8s. If you worry about the shared usage, you can buy VDS from phpfriends or server-factory.
    Keep in mind that the upfront cost for a few servers is nothing compared to the compensation from writing articles.

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • I use VPS to generate money.......for the provider. The more I use, the more money provider makes.

• emgemg Veteran
    edited November 2022

@kidrock said:

Yes. It can be done easily.

@anon667 said:
    I would not use a VPS for a VPN and a webiste. You should use two separate servers for that. Personally I would rather use a webhost for a website but that's just me.

Would you care to explain why it is so important to run the two functions on two different servers?

The OP appears to be a beginner user, so running both functions on the same server is okay for starting out.

Thanked by 1kidrock