Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to make lightest Virtual Machine/container with separate SSH? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to make lightest Virtual Machine/container with separate SSH?

2»

Comments

• @stevewatson301 said:
    (removed, would not suit the use case as OP needs unprivileged containers)

I'm curious as to what you suggested?
    Mind posting it?

• @GreenRuby said:

@stevewatson301 said:
    (removed, would not suit the use case as OP needs unprivileged containers)

I'm curious as to what you suggested?
    Mind posting it?

A systemd based container would allow you to simply install OpenSSH and other services and have them start like a regular VPS would.

https://hub.docker.com/r/jrei/systemd-ubuntu
    https://hub.docker.com/r/jrei/systemd-debian

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited November 2022

Edit: Deleted all the paragraphs about usecase. Dont want to waste peoples time. I'll probably go with simple LXD/LXC. it seems like everything lighter will be splitting hairs.

@Maounique @stevewatson301 & others thanks for help!

@Arkas please close thread :)

• @Maounique said: VirtualBox is an absolute hog, it would use 100 MB just for itself in each instance and lots of CPU. Yes, you can tweak the VM, remove printing, sound, video acceleration, but it is still a hog especially if you plan on running one VM per student with low ram which would thrash the disk in many cases.

vbox uses hyper-v/kvm if available dude, it's more of a wrapper as of a few years ago
    and a vm's overhead is just small on disk and negible on network
    with 1gb ram he's not going to run multiple vms lol

@Maounique said: The quest to find a solution starts with the understanding of the problem, the requirements. You don't need a VM to run SSH, heck, not even a container. If you don't need full virtualization and full virtualization is significantly heavier than a container, then the container is the logical solution.

it's easier to handle networking with vbox than doing iptables on a terminal dude
    there's nothing heavy about this, his prob isn't even that 100mb, this dude probably thinks X vm is slow because of it's graphical performance but he has zero idea that the video adapter is virtualized lol

@AXYZE said: I've wrote that I want to "minimize ram&disk usage" in original post and then wrote that once again in reply to you "I want base to be very minimal".

you fail to read, im telling you it's as minimal as it gets, but you're into something else, im just here to discuss since instead of ignoring me, you try to counter argue, then stop arguing with me