Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Friday Cyber Monday Official Megathread + Flash Sale [2022] - Page 200
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Black Friday Cyber Monday Official Megathread + Flash Sale [2022]

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@add_iT said: Any idea how to check are nested virtualization are enable or disable on machine??

Try grep 'vmx\|svm' /proc/cpuinfo.

Thanked by 2add_iT mhkanon
  • @maverick said:

@add_iT said:
    Out of topic, i am too lazy to create new thread so better ask here instead, and still related to BF/CM 2022 flash sale product

Any idea how to check are nested virtualization are enable or disable on machine??

With simple command

The command could be something like: egrep --color -i "svm|vmx" /proc/cpuinfo

If you see “vmx” (Intel-VT technology) or “svm” (AMD-V support) in the output, then nested virtualization is enabled, otherwise not.

@DP said:

@add_iT said: Any idea how to check are nested virtualization are enable or disable on machine??

Trying both but no result

root@xxx:~# egrep --color -i "svm|vmx" /proc/cpuinfo

root@xxx:~# grep 'vmx|svm' /proc/cpuinfo

Thanked by 1mhkanon
  • @add_iT said:

@maverick said:

@add_iT said:
    Out of topic, i am too lazy to create new thread so better ask here instead, and still related to BF/CM 2022 flash sale product

Any idea how to check are nested virtualization are enable or disable on machine??

With simple command

If you see “vmx” (Intel-VT technology) or “svm” (AMD-V support) in the output, then nested virtualization is enabled, otherwise not.

@DP said:

If no result, then this means that nested virtualization isn't enabled

If you want to manually check the relevant line yourself for "vmx" or "svm", do:

grep flags /proc/cpuinfo

Thanked by 1mhkanon
  • is it still beef Friday?
    odors open?
    vps cupons! avapimple ?

Thanked by 1mhkanon
  • # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2022-12-04                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Thu 08 Dec 2022 11:59:45 AM EST

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Uptime     : 5 days, 2 hours, 2 minutes
    Processor  : 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz
    CPU cores  : 2 @ 3504.000 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 1.9 GiB
    Swap       : 0.0 KiB
    Disk       : 21.5 GiB
    Distro     : Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
    Kernel     : 5.10.0-19-amd64

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 714.80 MB/s (178.7k) | 4.24 GB/s    (66.2k)
    Write      | 716.69 MB/s (179.1k) | 4.26 GB/s    (66.6k)
    Total      | 1.43 GB/s   (357.8k) | 8.50 GB/s   (132.9k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 4.72 GB/s     (9.2k) | 4.59 GB/s     (4.4k)
    Write      | 4.98 GB/s     (9.7k) | 4.89 GB/s     (4.7k)
    Total      | 9.70 GB/s    (18.9k) | 9.48 GB/s     (9.2k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed                                                                                                                                                                   | Ping
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----                                                                                                                                                                         | ----
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 814 Mbits/sec   | 121 Mbits/sec                                                                                                                                                                | 106 ms
    Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | 816 Mbits/sec   | busy            | 110 ms
    NovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | 813 Mbits/sec   | 663 Mbits/sec   | 112 ms
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 679 Mbits/sec   | 163 Mbits/sec   | 200 ms
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 824 Mbits/sec   | 380 Mbits/sec   | 39.5 ms
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 865 Mbits/sec   | 941 Mbits/sec   | 1.69 ms
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 834 Mbits/sec   | 457 Mbits/sec   | 32.0 ms

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 1701
    Multi Core      | 3106
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/19171434

HostCram KVM-2C

• add_iTadd_iT Member
    edited December 2022

@angstrom said:

@add_iT said:

@maverick said:

@add_iT said:

With simple command

@DP said:

If you want to manually check the relevant line yourself for "vmx" or "svm", do:

grep flags /proc/cpuinfo

So here is full screnshot of my ticket to provider yesterday , it is from below from first image

So, me myself that look stupid or dumb here or the provider support that not know what is nested virtualization was

Thanked by 1mhkanon
  • @add_iT said:

@angstrom said:

@add_iT said:

@maverick said:

@add_iT said:

With simple command

@DP said:

grep flags /proc/cpuinfo

So here is full screnshot of my ticket to provider yesterday , it is from below from first image

So, me myself that look stupid or dumb here or the provider support that not know what is nested virtualization was

Whatever you are trying to accomplish with nested virtualization try it. If it doesn't work, stick it to the provider.

Why make a big deal of a trivial matter?

Thanked by 1mhkanon
  • add_iTadd_iT Member
    edited December 2022

@plumberg said:

@add_iT said:

@angstrom said:

@add_iT said:

@maverick said:

@add_iT said:

With simple command

@DP said:

grep flags /proc/cpuinfo

Whatever you are trying to accomplish with nested virtualization try it. If it doesn't work, stick it to the provider.

Why make a big deal of a trivial matter?

No big problem and deal here, i am just make sure that i am using the correct command or not or maybe me that wrong to check it there

They only just tell that they can't enable it, done and i will accept it

Problem is they tell it is already enable but the truth isn't so that make me confuse that maybe i wrongly to check it

Thanked by 1mhkanon
  • @add_iT said:

>

Problem is they tell it is already enable but the truth isn't so that make me confuse that maybe i wrongly to check it

This. If provider says it's enabled, trust them for a bit and see what you wanted to do.

This allows you to make a stronger case with the tech and ask for escalation. Plus when they enable virtualization typically you need to shutdown/ power off the server. Wait for a few moments and then boot it. All the above steps should happen successfully sequentially and then you may see the results you want.

Chances are provider is wrong but you can double check your sanity by doing what you were trying to do with nested virtualization and see how that goes through

• maverickmaverick Member
    edited December 2022

@plumberg said:

@add_iT said:

>

This. If provider says it's enabled, trust them for a bit and see what you wanted to do.

This allows you to make a stronger case with the tech and ask for escalation. Plus when they enable virtualization typically you need to shutdown/ power off the server. Wait for a few moments and then boot it. All the above steps should happen successfully sequentially and then you may see the results you want.

Chances are provider is wrong but you can double check your sanity by doing what you were trying to do with nested virtualization and see how that goes through

One really trivial issue could be... have you stopped and started your VPS from the control panel? Not just rebooted via ssh, but definitely via control panel. Stop, wait for some notification that VPS has stopped, then start again. Some of those parameters need to be picked the hard way, just rebooting won't suffice.

And also @plumberg has given you a good advice, if you want to run KVM inside KVM just try it and observe what happens. If you get any error, you have additional data to report to the provider. It could be that cpuinfo parsing is not that reliable and hidden somehow in your VPS.

Thanked by 3add_iT ralf mhkanon
  • add_iTadd_iT Member
    edited December 2022

@plumberg said:

@add_iT said:

>

Already done

I have rebooted it twice

The case that i said "do i must reboot it" and they said yes i did it from vps control panel

Actually it was from 2 days a go from last reply, and from their reply they are not too concern about that without cheked it first, they did not say "you must reboot your vm" or etc etc

Will try to check it again later and update the result, hope it work

@maverick said:

@plumberg said:

@add_iT said:

>

One really trivial issue could be... have you stopped and started your VPS from the control panel? Not just rebooted via ssh, but definitely via control panel. Stop, wait for some notification that VPS has stopped, then start again. Some of those parameters need to be picked the hard way, just rebooting won't suffice.

And also @plumberg has given you a good advice, if you want to run KVM inside KVM just try it and observe what happens. If you get any error, you have additional data to report to the provider. It could be that cpuinfo parsing is not that reliable and hidden somehow in your VPS.

ok

I Already rebooted it twice from vps panel

But I will try again to explore and investigate it first and update later, hope it work

thanks for advice

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@add_iT said: I Already rebooted it twice from vps panel

Is your OS installed via ISO or their OS templates?

It might be worth trying to install via OS templates, CentOS 7 or whatever they have and check if the flags are there.

Thanked by 3add_iT AXYZE mhkanon
  • @add_iT said: So, me myself that look stupid or dumb here or the provider support that not know what is nested virtualization was

Given the ticket exchange, my best guess would be that you and the support operator are talking past each other -- that what you mean by "nested virtualization" is not what he means by "virtualization" and that as a consequence, nested virtualization isn't activated on your VPS

Which OS are you using on your VPS? If Linux and the processor is Intel, what does the following show?

cat /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/nested

(If the processor is AMD, then use cat /sys/module/kvm_amd/parameters/nested )

• add_iTadd_iT Member
    edited December 2022

@DP said:

@add_iT said: I Already rebooted it twice from vps panel

Is your OS installed via ISO or their OS templates?

It might be worth trying to install via OS templates, CentOS 7 or whatever they have and check if the flags are there.

Installed Ubuntu 20 via template

And they using virtualizor i think it won't work, but i will try later when at home

@angstrom said:

@add_iT said: So, me myself that look stupid or dumb here or the provider support that not know what is nested virtualization was

Given the ticket exchange, my best guess would be that you and the support operator are talking past each other -- that what you mean by "nested virtualization" is not what he means by "virtualization" and that as a consequence, nested virtualization isn't activated on your VPS

Which OS are you using on your VPS? If Linux and the processor is Intel, what does the following show?

That is what i though at first

Thats why i ask wether i am wrong about how or what methode to check it

ever had experience once before with another provider, and simple reboot will just change it when they said already activated

Btw this is ubuntu 20

and the result are

cat: /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/nested: No such file or directory

Thanked by 1mhkanon
  • @angstrom said:

@add_iT said: So, me myself that look stupid or dumb here or the provider support that not know what is nested virtualization was

Those can be consulted only on the host server, where kvm module is activated. It is what tells the kvm module to pass CPU virtualization capabilities downstream, to the guest machines.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited December 2022

@maverick said:

@angstrom said:

Those can be consulted only on the host server, where kvm module is activated. It is what tells the kvm module to pass CPU virtualization capabilities downstream, to the guest machines.

Okay, here's my reasoning:

It's true, of course, that the host machine needs to have nested virtualization activated for the guests and accordingly, if one wants to consult the value of /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/nested on the host machine, one can do this only on the host machine

At the same time, a guest machine may also have a positive value for /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/nested, which can be consulted on the guest machine

As an example, I have a VPS that allows for nested virtualization (i.e., shows flag vmx) and within the VPS, cat /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/nested shows a positive value

I have another VPS that doesn't allow for nested virtualization (i.e., doesn't show flag vmx) and within the VPS, cat /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/nested fails because the module kvm_intel is missing

In short, here's the idea:

• On the guest machine (the VPS), try to do: sudo modprobe kvm_intel . This will fail if nested virtualization is not activated for the guest machine
    Thanked by 1maverick
  • AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2022

@angstrom said:

@maverick said:

@angstrom said:

Okay, here's my reasoning:

It's true, of course, that the host machine needs to have nested virtualization activated for the guests and accordingly, if one wants to consult the value of /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/nested on the host machine, one can do this only on the host machine

At the same time, a guest machine may also have a positive value for /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/nested, which can be consulted on the guest machine

As an example, I have a VPS that allows for nested virtualization (i.e., shows flag vmx) and within the VPS, cat /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/nested shows a positive value

I have another VPS that doesn't allow for nested virtualization (i.e., doesn't show flag vmx) and within the VPS, cat /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/nested fails because the module kvm_intel is missing

In short, here's the idea:

• On the guest machine (the VPS), try to do: sudo modprobe kvm_intel . This will fail if nested virtualization is not activated for the guest machine

There's also a package called cpu-checker which has a command called kvm-ok, it should tell you if nested virtualization is enabled too.

Thanked by 3angstrom gtxr mhkanon
  • add_iTadd_iT Member
    edited December 2022

Ok I have tried any method but still not successful

Reinstall, stop for a minutes then start it, reboot for a few times, etc but still disabled

VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled

Thanked by 2Ganonk mhkanon
  • @add_iT said:
    Ok I have tried any method but still not successful

Reinstall, stop for a minutes then start it, reboot for a few times, etc but still disabled

VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled

As I tried to say above, my guess is that the support operator didn't understand what you were talking about

Thanked by 2webcraft mhkanon
  • @visualwebtechnologies said:
    Flash Deal Cybermonday Lifetime Directadmin Reseller Hosting in The UK Pre order, USA, Germany, Singapore

SSH enabled - Yes, Jailed SSH possible, contact support!
    Disk Space - 20GB. (Pm me invoice number and We will add extra storage 10GB free)
    Bandwidth - 2TB (Pm me invoice number and We will add extra 1 TB Bandwidth free)
    Unlimited Directadmin Subaccounts
    Addon Domains - Unlimited
    Sub Domains - Unlimited
    Databases- Unlimited
    Ftp Accounts - Unlimited
    Control panel- DirectAdmin
    Location - UK Pre order 7-8 Days Delivered, USA, Germany, Singapore

FREE SSL via Letsencrypt!
    Stock: 15
    63€ ONE TIME
    No Refund
    ORDER:
    - NO MORE RESTOCKS COMING OF THIS!

• MS said:
    @FAT32, results of the ApisCP giveaways are not annouced yet.

ApisCP please

Thanked by 2ehab mhkanon
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited December 2022

Hello everyone!

We still have a lot of dedicated space available on our servers! It just happens to be a Friday so just reminding you of our offer! Now with Android apps as promised! Join us and become part of the family - I'm always trying to add new value added features as the ideas come along!

NEW FEATURES HAVE BEEN AUTO-ADDED TO ALL EXISTING CUSTOMERS!

Only 3 available!
    250GB RAID-1 dedicated storage space on enterprise disks
    SFTP + RSYNC (or use our web file manager if its easier!)
    1 Gbit unlimited (fair use / shared)
    No hard connection limits like other services (fair use / within reason)

Included features
    NEW! Built-in Web file manager (if SFTP isn't your thing)
    Built-in Mediacenter (web app) + Bonus Android app (NEW!)
    Built-in Magnet proxy for pulling media into your media center.
    Bonus Live Notification dashboard + Bonus Android app (NEW!) that pushes your phone notifications to the dash and also the mediacenter so you don't miss things when you're watching your media!

MORE DETAILS including screenshots

ORDER $1.99 / month

500GB plans also available for $3.99!

These plans are manually activated within 24 hours or less!
    Refund policy: No refunds (mind you, these are monthly plans) unless you made a mistake with the plan size you ordered (that's totally reasonable) OR if there's an issue we cannot resolve on our side (also reasonable).

Thanked by 1mhkanon
  • ApisCP pweasee @FAT32 -sama

Thanked by 2ehab mhkanon
  • bacbac Member

Where is the NexusBytes?

Thanked by 1mhkanon
  • If @FAT32 could randomly select me for the ApisCP giveaway, that would be awesome. :)

Thanked by 2ariq01 mhkanon
  • MOARRRRRRRRR

Thanked by 1mhkanon
  • MS said:
    If @FAT32 could randomly select me for the ApisCP giveaway, that would be awesome. :)

Me too, can i get ApisCP license pwease

Thanked by 3_MS_ fadedmaple mhkanon
  • i have test
    and I can't know where the servers are located?

Thanked by 1mhkanon
  • ThankYouFAT32

• ehabehab Member

@galfond said:
    ThankYouFAT32

Thanked by 2ariq01 Ganonk