Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OFFICIAL B-L-A-C-K-F-R-I-D-A-Y THREAD -- COMMUNITY ENDORSED! Take a peek! (RackNerd's Black Friday) - Page 873
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OFFICIAL B-L-A-C-K-F-R-I-D-A-Y THREAD -- COMMUNITY ENDORSED! Take a peek! (RackNerd's Black Friday)

Comments

• @sonu said:

Honestly speaking, I don't know. Never care about the score.

But, more ram is better, is it? You can run more processes at the same time.

As long as you have sufficient ram to run the benchmarks, any additional ram won’t give any performance boost. I’m not sure how much ram GB5 takes, but it’s ran on servers with 768MB ram so I assume it doesn’t need much so adding ram in this case won’t help :)
    Yes, like you mentioned ram is useful in practice because you can run more things at once!

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@jmaxwell said: Will more RAM make any significant difference?

I don't think so. More vCores will for sure however. From 1GB RAM upwards, it wont make a difference with 1 vCore.

Thanked by 1Void
  • @MooCowGalaxy said:

@sonu said:

As long as you have sufficient ram to run the benchmarks, any additional ram won’t give any performance boost. I’m not sure how much ram GB5 takes, but it’s ran on servers with 768MB ram so I assume it doesn’t need much so adding ram in this case won’t help :)
    Yes, like you mentioned ram is useful in practice because you can run more things at once!

GB5 can't run on a VPS with 512MB RAM, you will need a swap file.

With a machine with large RAM, you can load the whole system into RAM, so it runs ridiculously fast.

But if your RAM is too too big, you might spend more time addressing it, and more RAN consumes more power.

• MooCowGalaxyMooCowGalaxy Member
    edited November 2022

@sonu said:

With a machine with large RAM, you can load the whole system into RAM, so it runs ridiculously fast.

But if your RAM is too too big, you might spend more time addressing it, and more RAN consumes more power.

Get enough resource upgrades to be able to run RAMdisk hehe
    Yeah, as long as it doesn’t use the swap file more ram (theoretically) shouldn’t affect performance.

• @sonu said:

@MooCowGalaxy said:

@sonu said:

Interesting

• @Arkas said:

I don't think so. More vCores will for sure however. From 1GB RAM upwards, it wont make a difference with 1 vCore.

Ok, good to know

• @MooCowGalaxy said:

@sonu said:

Get enough resource upgrades to be able to run RAMdisk hehe
    Yeah, as long as it doesn’t use the swap file more ram (theoretically) shouldn’t affect performance.

We are talking about calculations, but what about data? If your RAM is big you can cache everything, so it will be faster.

• @jmaxwell said:

@Arkas said:

Ok, good to know

Glad you learned something :wink:

• @sonu said:

@jmaxwell said:

@Arkas said:

Ok, good to know

Glad you learned something :wink:

Everyday you learn something new

• @sonu said:

We are talking about calculations, but what about data? If your RAM is big you can cache everything, so it will be faster.

That too, caching a 32gb file in memory would be faster to read/process than reading it from disk (although you would need to read from disk in the first place).

• ArkasArkas Moderator

DUSTIN!!!! Wake up!! :blush:

• @Arkas said:

Give him a few more hours ;) He stayed up pretty late last night!

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

• @Arkas said:

He’s probably tired of all the bandwidth doubling

• @jmaxwell said:

He’s probably tired of all the bandwidth doubling

Yeah haha, he did so many last night!!

Thanked by 1Void
  • Hype hype

Moooooar Giveaways!!

• @jmaxwell said:
    Hype hype

Moooooar Giveaways!!

Since the chef was not here last night, I assume he won’t be here tonight either. Maybe we’ll see the chef one last time on Cyber Monday?

• Giveaways

More more

• @MooCowGalaxy said:

@jmaxwell said:
    Hype hype

Moooooar Giveaways!!

Since the chef was not here last night, I assume he won’t be here tonight either. Maybe we’ll see the chef one last time on Cyber Monday?

That’s what I think

• @MooCowGalaxy said:

@Arkas said:

Give him a few more hours ;) He stayed up pretty late last night!

Yes, he needs some help.

• @MooCowGalaxy said:

@jmaxwell said:
    Hype hype

Moooooar Giveaways!!

No, I am pretty sure we will see him tonight, for cyber monday

• @jmaxwell said:
    Hype hype

Moooooar Giveaways!!

HYPE

• @MooCowGalaxy said:

@sonu said:

That too, caching a 32gb file in memory would be faster to read/process than reading it from disk (although you would need to read from disk in the first place).

Read once, rest forever.

• @jmaxwell said:

Giveaways

More more

What kind of giveaways?
    #RESOURCE-UPGRADE-GIVEAWAYS
    or
    #CASH-GIVEAWAYS
    or something else? 😛

• @jmaxwell said:

That’s what I think

What do you think we’ll see on Monday, more of the same things we saw on BF or do you think we’ll get something special to end with ;)

• RESOURCE-UPGRADE-GIVEAWAYS

• @sonu said:

No, I am pretty sure we will see him tonight, for cyber monday

Ooh, that’s true, maybe we will! The chef did serve us on Thursday night…

• @MooCowGalaxy said:

@jmaxwell said:

Giveaways

More more

What kind of giveaways?
    #RESOURCE-UPGRADE-GIVEAWAYS
    or
    #CASH-GIVEAWAYS
    or something else? 😛

Why not both.

I think cash giveaways give you more options, and reduce the work loads for RackNerd.

• @sonu said:

RESOURCE-UPGRADE-GIVEAWAYS

I see, resource giveaways are the ones in high demand!

• @sonu said:

Why not both.

I think cash giveaways give you more options, and reduce the work loads for RackNerd.

Cash giveaways and account credit or just cash giveaways? I’d be fine with either :)

This discussion has been closed.