Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostslick review after nearly 1 year usage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostslick review after nearly 1 year usage

I got this OVZ vps from hostslick on last year's xmas.
Time flies so fast and I'm surprised it's been nearly 1 year so I would like to share my review.
The server works stable in the past year without downtime and the performace is still good.
Although it seems a bit problem in fio speed test but there is no issue in real use.
And it even have more disk space than listed specs on website.

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
#              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
#                     v2022-08-20                    #
# https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Sat Nov 12 17:06:08 CST 2022

Basic System Information:
---------------------------------
Uptime     : 259 days, 10 hours, 52 minutes
Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 v2 @ 2.60GHz
CPU cores  : 2 @ 1590.000 MHz
AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
RAM        : 2.0 GiB
Swap       : 0.0 KiB
Disk       : 88.5 GiB
Distro     : Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS
Kernel     : 3.10.0-1062.4.2.vz7.116.7

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
  ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
Read       | 3.64 MB/s      (910) | 2.00 KB/s        (0)
Write      | 3.66 MB/s      (916) | 0.00 KB/s        (0)
Total      | 7.30 MB/s     (1.8k) | 2.00 KB/s        (0)
           |                      |                     
Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
  ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
Read       | 5.45 MB/s       (10) | 15.08 MB/s      (14)
Write      | 5.99 MB/s       (11) | 16.57 MB/s      (16)
Total      | 11.44 MB/s      (21) | 31.66 MB/s      (30)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                |                           |                 |                
Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 296 Mbits/sec   | 731 Mbits/sec  
Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 935 Mbits/sec   | 49.3 Mbits/sec 
Hybula          | The Netherlands (40G)     | 940 Mbits/sec   | 940 Mbits/sec  
Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 886 Mbits/sec   | 523 Mbits/sec  
Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 898 Mbits/sec   | 354 Mbits/sec  
Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 870 Mbits/sec   | 235 Mbits/sec  
Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 837 Mbits/sec   | 352 Mbits/sec  

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
Test            | Value                         
                |                               
Single Core     | 508                           
Multi Core      | 976                           
Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/18588074

Comments

• @PhantomPain said: The server works stable in the past year without downtime

Where are you hosted? I am asking this because I had a really good Hostslick deal and as much as I wanted to like it, I couldn't because of all those downtimes on a regular basis. At some point there were a three half-day outages within a two weeks or so.
    They even sent out RFO, so it's confusing that you didn't have any outage unless you're reviewing product you already talked about and use for free.

Almere issues recently - also fixed!
    Last week 30.05. - 02.06.2022 + week beforehand. - One of our Racks in Almere went offline first 26.05.2022.
    This Rack is also used to serve our redundant core-routers in Almere, due to that all Servers in almere went off. Including those in our other Almere Racks.
    It has been looking like a power surge, which happened arround 1,5 months before. We have rephrased and balanced power in this Rack and turned it back off few days later again on 30.05.2022
    As you may have experienced if you where one of the affected customers - few days later it happened again on 30.05.2022.
    Since we have a Twin-Datacenter Setup, some small amount of VPS in Lelystad where affected. Due to IPv4 shortage we use some Almere IPv4 in Lelystad.
    We have a Dedicated Dark-Fiber between both datacenters which make it possible.

Further investigations showed that the Rack was not able to handle some power Peaks, going over 32 Ampere.
    We have consulted with the Datacenter and added another 32 Ampere and balanced the Servers between so it will NOT happen anymore.

This was all finished the evening of 02.06.2022. The Rack now has 2x 32 Ampere available,

and also

Lelystad issue 03.06.2022 - fixed!

Day after we have finished setting up the 2nd 32Ampere feed to the Rack in Almere which serves the Almere Core-Router equipment, we experienced a issue in ONE of our Lelystad Racks.
    (all other Racks where still online)
    This Rack has the VPS cluster and 30 customer dedicated servers. - First off, we mainly use Blade systems, thats why so many servers in one Rack.
    However. The issue started in the morning of 03.06.2022, all Lelystad VPS - arround 1000 total VPS and in addition the 30 dedicated servers went offline.
    The switch did not respond - nor did the redundant one do.
    We have sent a technican to investigate the reason. He has investigated and tried to restore operation of the Switch with no luck. It turned out that its flash broke, making it operate "dumb" or "brainless".
    Switch was still operating but without its "brain" - thats why the other didnt take over basically.

We then started to replace the switch and it was back up again. Issue solved.

We are now checking on the failed networking hardware now how this could have happen.

But you didn't have any outage? :)

Thanked by 1mrTom
  • @Rockster I have the same problem, I have both locations, I already cancel one, and I will the other one too, I'm tired of excuses... WHEN IT WORKS good is a pretty good deal/provider but way too many downtimes/outages

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2022

@Rockster said:

@PhantomPain said: The server works stable in the past year without downtime

Where are you hosted? I am asking this because I had a really good Hostslick deal and as much as I wanted to like it, I couldn't because of all those downtimes on a regular basis. At some point there were a three half-day outages within a two weeks or so.
    They even sent out RFO, so it's confusing that you didn't have any outage unless you're reviewing product you already talked about and use for free.

Almere issues recently - also fixed!
    Last week 30.05. - 02.06.2022 + week beforehand. - One of our Racks in Almere went offline first 26.05.2022.
    This Rack is also used to serve our redundant core-routers in Almere, due to that all Servers in almere went off. Including those in our other Almere Racks.
    It has been looking like a power surge, which happened arround 1,5 months before. We have rephrased and balanced power in this Rack and turned it back off few days later again on 30.05.2022
    As you may have experienced if you where one of the affected customers - few days later it happened again on 30.05.2022.
    Since we have a Twin-Datacenter Setup, some small amount of VPS in Lelystad where affected. Due to IPv4 shortage we use some Almere IPv4 in Lelystad.
    We have a Dedicated Dark-Fiber between both datacenters which make it possible.

Further investigations showed that the Rack was not able to handle some power Peaks, going over 32 Ampere.
    We have consulted with the Datacenter and added another 32 Ampere and balanced the Servers between so it will NOT happen anymore.

This was all finished the evening of 02.06.2022. The Rack now has 2x 32 Ampere available,

and also

Lelystad issue 03.06.2022 - fixed!

Day after we have finished setting up the 2nd 32Ampere feed to the Rack in Almere which serves the Almere Core-Router equipment, we experienced a issue in ONE of our Lelystad Racks.
    (all other Racks where still online)
    This Rack has the VPS cluster and 30 customer dedicated servers. - First off, we mainly use Blade systems, thats why so many servers in one Rack.
    However. The issue started in the morning of 03.06.2022, all Lelystad VPS - arround 1000 total VPS and in addition the 30 dedicated servers went offline.
    The switch did not respond - nor did the redundant one do.
    We have sent a technican to investigate the reason. He has investigated and tried to restore operation of the Switch with no luck. It turned out that its flash broke, making it operate "dumb" or "brainless".
    Switch was still operating but without its "brain" - thats why the other didnt take over basically.

We then started to replace the switch and it was back up again. Issue solved.

We are now checking on the failed networking hardware now how this could have happen.

But you didn't have any outage? :)

Could be. There are Many Racks in both locations. Most lelystad VPS are hosted in same Rack. Some are not because we started to use some of the Dedicated Servers we usually rent out for VPS as well.

I had Many issues with Almere lately. Especially VPS. Partially affecting some lelystad hosted VPS since we have o use some IPv4 of Almere in Lelystad. And reverse. IP shortage.
    One included a damage due to a fire in the Province which caused the UPS to not kick in becsuse of a surge of 280V peak instead normal 230V.
    Lelystad was affected too but it survived.

https://nltimes.nl/2022/09/03/trains-stop-road-closes-flevoland-due-power-outage-damage

(Both locations Cisco Routers interconnected with a dedicated darkfiber)

And then becsuse network is very big now, arp issues in some bigger VLAN when one location goes off. Affecting some of the other.
    But it will be changed. Some network parts still exist since the beginning. It grew fast from end 2019 7 Servers and a Rack into hundreds of servers. Demand is high. I now can Order and install.
    30/50 New dedicated servers. And Sell off quick when I want.

It will change.

• what year was this from, is that 1 year from 2018? Nice review btw

• @Hostslick Would be great if you could fix the webhosting. MySQL and https://sharedhost2.hostslick.com/phpmyadmin/ is down for a month and PHP doesn't work correctly too. My website isn't working for two months now. Support doesn't even answer (Ticket #588847)

• Whats that fio result? Is this running on a floppy disk?

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • cinaticcinatic Member
    edited November 2022

i had severe issues in latency between other nodes (i run a k8s cluster across several providers), since i replaced hostslick it runs evidently by monitoring much more stable. I guess hostslick is good if you plan to use it for traffic or other non-critical operations.

... tbh a short YABS is really awful "review"

• @drizbo said:
    Whats that fio result? Is this running on a floppy disk?

I believe it is the 8 inch floppy disk because of the soft plastic cover which might be a bit overheated.