Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

servaRICA Hard Disk Haul in Preparation for Black Friday 2022 (pictures) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

servaRICA Hard Disk Haul in Preparation for Black Friday 2022 (pictures)

Comments

• When can I buy it?

• Meanwhile a certain ex-provider prepares for BF in Romania...

• Would probably be very tempted by a 3x 8tb disk /4dedicated core offer

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Thanked by 2servarica_hani ehab
  • raviravi Member
    edited November 2022

Exiting preparation... Looking forward for black friday offer :smile:

Thanked by 1servarica_hani
  • servarica_haniservarica_hani Member, Patron Provider

@emg said:

@servarica_hani said:

274 disks
    approx 120x 14TB and rest are 8TBs

That is nearly 3000 Terabytes of storage. Woah!

I remember spinning hard drives that were much larger, physically. Capacities were in Megabytes; some in single digits. At the time, it felt like unlimited storage. It always does.

Based on the posts above, you have eager customers waiting. Enjoy!

and these are not the most condense disks , there are 20TB now in the market although they dont work for us since in that case IOPS will be the limitation which prevent us using the full disk size

Thanked by 1emg
  • @servarica_hani said:

@Francisco said:

@yongsiklee said:
    About 350 WD HDDs?

All on a $30 pop up table. What a Fran move.

Francisco

:)
    some are on the blue lift
    but yes it is very sturdy table from Costco :)

Be careful with those loose drives, those tables can be ESD nightmares.

• @servarica_hani said:

@emg said:

@servarica_hani said:

274 disks

I remember spinning hard drives that were much larger, physically. Capacities were in Megabytes; some in single digits. At the time, it felt like unlimited storage. It always does.

and these are not the most condense disks , there are 20TB now in the market although they dont work for us since in that case IOPS will be the limitation which prevent us using the full disk size

What do you mean? Wouldn't limited IOPS just limit performance but not usable size? And bigger drives means less drives, so more IOPS per drive available?

@TimboJones said:

@servarica_hani said:

@emg said:

@servarica_hani said:

274 disks

What do you mean? Wouldn't limited IOPS just limit performance but not usable size? And bigger drives means less drives, so more IOPS per drive available?

bigger drive almost deliver the same IOPS as small drive (they add usually more cache but with big clusters disk cache affect is not that much)

So lets say we have SAN pod with 80x disks
    with smaller 8TB disks we can get X IOPS total
    with bigger 20TB disks we can get 5 to 10% more due to caching
    But on the 8TB disks the total capacity was 640TB which can handle X IOPS
    with 20TB total capacity is 1600TB with 1.1 * X IOPS

so the IOPS per TB in the 8TB disks case is much more than that of 20TB disks case

Now lets say each VPS use Z bytes as storage on average and each vps need on average Y IOPS ,

Then the total number of VPS we can run on single pod is
    MIN ( ((total IOPS this pod can do )/y) , total disk space of the pod / Z )

and since more than half of our users use storage VPS as normal VPS (not just for backup) which we allow and encourage , our IOPS requirement is high

and as you see from the equation above the number of VPS we run on single pod is almost always constant regardless of disk space due to IOPS limit

once way to utilize more disk space is to have each vps has more disk space (increase Z ) . and that may explain why bigger storage VPS seems to be just 20 or 30% more expensive than one with 30% or less of the storage

Thanked by 2DanSummer TimboJones
  • melp57melp57 Member
    edited November 2022

I peeked at your website and didn't find a VPS. am I just not looking in the right spot or do you name it something else?

• @melp57 said:
    I peeked at your website and didn't find a VPS. am I just not looking in the right spot or do you name it something else?

https://clients.servarica.com/store/black-friday-2021

Thanked by 1melp57
  • Maybe more powerful CPU can be also stocked

Thanked by 1corbpie
  • @cgs3238 said:
    Maybe more powerful CPU can be also stocked

CPUs won't fit on that table

• So many hard disks = So many hard dix.

Thanked by 1drizbo
  • @servarica_hani said: Just wanted to share with you images of the disks we got

Reminds me of the time I was building my own servers, excepting that, I was on the floor of the living room, had only two HDD, and built only one server, but everything else looks the same :blush:

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • emgemg Veteran
    edited November 2022

A few years ago, I spent the better part of a day destroying a stack of old hard drives that had accumulated over a long time. The pile was roughly half the size of the stack in @servarica_hani's photo. I bought my benchtop drill press to work and we drilled four or five holes through the platters in each drive. I don't remember the drill bit size, but it was fat - somewhere around 1/2 and 3/4 inch (12 to 18 mm). When destroying drives, size doesn't matter.

The work went quickly, but I missed the days where I had access to a drive shredder. It had a mailbox slot. Drop the drive in and press start. What came out was metal filings.

Edit, added a few minutes later:
    If you encrypt your new drives from the start, you may be able to avoid drive destruction issues altogether.

• You can also use software to wipe the disk content. Multiple rewrites, with particular pattern are making the content unrecoverable. If you are paranoiac, for HDD, you can pass the disk through a magnetic field.

• Not enough, 1T at least.
    I mean 1 ton.

• Will we get an SSD + HDD server on BF?

Thanked by 1plumberg

• missed this one

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited November 2022

@servarica_hani said:

@TimboJones said:

@servarica_hani said:

@emg said:

@servarica_hani said:

274 disks

bigger drive almost deliver the same IOPS as small drive (they add usually more cache but with big clusters disk cache affect is not that much)

So lets say we have SAN pod with 80x disks
    with smaller 8TB disks we can get X IOPS total
    with bigger 20TB disks we can get 5 to 10% more due to caching
    But on the 8TB disks the total capacity was 640TB which can handle X IOPS
    with 20TB total capacity is 1600TB with 1.1 * X IOPS

so the IOPS per TB in the 8TB disks case is much more than that of 20TB disks case

Now lets say each VPS use Z bytes as storage on average and each vps need on average Y IOPS ,

Then the total number of VPS we can run on single pod is
    MIN ( ((total IOPS this pod can do )/y) , total disk space of the pod / Z )

and since more than half of our users use storage VPS as normal VPS (not just for backup) which we allow and encourage , our IOPS requirement is high

and as you see from the equation above the number of VPS we run on single pod is almost always constant regardless of disk space due to IOPS limit

once way to utilize more disk space is to have each vps has more disk space (increase Z ) . and that may explain why bigger storage VPS seems to be just 20 or 30% more expensive than one with 30% or less of the storage

Oh, I see. You're not IOPS bottlenecked by the motherboard/RAID, yet, but by drive count. More is better. Thanks

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited November 2022

Edit: misread

• What kind of RAID do you run on the systems?

@rchurch said:
    What kind of RAID do you run on the systems?

ZFS raidz2

• can we have a mouse with IPv4 or at least NAT?

• Looking forward to this, customer for a few years now, great value for money, great support

Thanked by 1servarica_hani
  • What happened to the black friday offers then? I didn't see anything anywhere.

• @tedtomato said:
    What happened to the black friday offers then? I didn't see anything anywhere.

Is it BlackFriday in North America?