Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I stick with netcup (9.5 Root Server) or go with Hetzner Auction server (Xeon E3-1275 v5) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Should I stick with netcup (9.5 Root Server) or go with Hetzner Auction server (Xeon E3-1275 v5)

2»

Comments

• @LTniger said:

@crilla said:

@LTniger said: without questionable billing practices.

huh? because Netcup is using some longer contracts?

Search this very forum for netcup related billing issues. If you are not from EU, netcup billing practices may look iffy at best. And of course if you are handed over collection agency, you will definitely understand the case.

With hetzner such cases non-existant or so minimal that irrelevant.

Its people not following contracts, not netcup doing anything questionable.
    Try to not pay for your phone or your rent, questionable billing cause they send it someone too haha

Thanked by 3adns crilla webcraft
  • @AXYZE said:

@LTniger said:

@crilla said:

Search this very forum for netcup related billing issues. If you are not from EU, netcup billing practices may look iffy at best. And of course if you are handed over collection agency, you will definitely understand the case.

Try to not pay for your phone or your rent, questionable billing cause they send it someone too haha

If I not pay for my vps - it gets erased. That's it. With netcup you MUST give them prior cancellation request, before ending service. If not done in time - your contract will be prolonged. And if not paid - collection agencies are looking for you.

In this case we aligning hetz vs netcup. So hetz taking a lead here.

• @LTniger said:

@AXYZE said:

@LTniger said:

@crilla said:

If I not pay for my vps - it gets erased. That's it. With netcup you MUST give them prior cancellation request, before ending service. If not done in time - your contract will be prolonged. And if not paid - collection agencies are looking for you.

I personally thought it was quite questionable how if you don't cancel in advance your contract gets extended another year (if you paid annually). But apparently that changed and now the contract only gets extended a month if you don't cancel in advance so they are becoming more reasonable.

Thanked by 1Levi
  • @NoComment said:

@LTniger said:

@AXYZE said:

@LTniger said:

@crilla said:

I personally thought it was quite questionable how if you don't cancel in advance your contract gets extended another year (if you paid annually). But apparently that changed and now the contract only gets extended a month if you don't cancel in advance so they are becoming more reasonable.

Thank you for clarification, I should give netcup another chance than.

• @AXYZE said:

@CalmDown said:
    Hosting web pages and such is the more important single-core score.

Multi is indeed used for heavy tasks like transcoding, remuxing, and blablabla

Why?
    Don't you use Nginx child processes (on by default)?
    Don't you use multiple PHP-FPM processes?
    Don't you use Node.js clustering (like PM2)?

all of these things use all cores.

Especially when he is hosting so much at one server...

Latency matters as well as throughput. Best thing for it is high single thread performance, as each individual request is usually single threaded. Also dedicated is better as you can keep caches and scheduler primed, won’t get as many outlier slow requests especially on the first request in a while

• @LTniger said:

@AXYZE said:

@LTniger said:

@crilla said:

Contract with ANYTHING doesn't end automatically and you must to do it before next billing period.
    If you get 1 year contract with phone operator and then don't cancel it... you will be billed for next billing period.
    Contract exists because of convenience for both sides.

You guarantee you will pay, company guarantees that this service will be available for X time. They CAN'T move you to different server, node, specs, it cant slowdown, etc.

Company can also lower their price because they know that they will use all capacity and maximize profits without going up & down every couple of days.

Netcup is prepaid contract.
    Hetzner is postpaid w/o contract.

Hetzner is like having prepaid SIM card, Netcup is like having contract on your phone.
    Neither are questionable.

Only thing questionable are people that don't want to pay for something they have contract on and then "WHOA, COLLECTION AGENCY FOR SOMETHING I ORDERED AND I DIDNT PAID?" They reserved capacity, they pay for electricity, they pay for new parts and staff on board.

Imagine if your boss said that you have questionable practices because instead of don't paying you and firing you today, you demand to respect notice period. Lol.

Thanked by 4adns RapToN ariq01 crilla
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited October 2022

@darkimmortal said:

@AXYZE said:

@CalmDown said:
    Hosting web pages and such is the more important single-core score.

Multi is indeed used for heavy tasks like transcoding, remuxing, and blablabla

Why?
    Don't you use Nginx child processes (on by default)?
    Don't you use multiple PHP-FPM processes?
    Don't you use Node.js clustering (like PM2)?

all of these things use all cores.

Especially when he is hosting so much at one server...

Latency matters as well as throughput. Best thing for it is high single thread performance, as each individual request is usually single threaded. Also dedicated is better as you can keep caches and scheduler primed, won’t get as many outlier slow requests especially on the first request in a while

If requests take single thread, its best to have multiple threads so you don't put every request into single thread eh?

It is definition of multithreading.

Don't forget he is also running database, bots and talking about containers apart from web server with multiple domains.

He should really look into multicore performance, as he is putting all eggs in baskets.

• @AXYZE said: Contract with ANYTHING doesn't end automatically and you must to do it before next billing period.
    If you get 1 year contract with phone operator and then don't cancel it... you will be billed for next billing period.
    Contract exists because of convenience for both sides.

Yeah, but with phone contracts if you decide to cancel on the 13th month, you probably pay for the 13th month and that's it. In the past, with netcup, if you paid annually for the first year and decided to cancel on the 365th day, you are obligated to renew an entire year.

I'm sure somewhere in their contract, they mentioned you have to cancel X days before the contract ends but that's kinda questionable because you don't even get the option to pay for the 13th month and cancel.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited October 2022

@NoComment said:
    I'm sure somewhere in their contract, they mentioned you have to cancel X days before the contract ends

Just like every contract ever?!
    Bro, did you ever singup any contract?
    Gym membership, mobile phone, electricity?

https://www.google.com/search?q=mobile+contract+notice+period

Universally you need to cancel MONTH before contract ends everywhere in the world. Exceptions from this are VERY rare (like PHP-Friends with just 14days notice period)

• NoCommentNoComment Member
    edited October 2022

@AXYZE said:

@NoComment said:
    I'm sure somewhere in their contract, they mentioned you have to cancel X days before the contract ends

Universally you need to cancel MONTH before contract ends everywhere in the world. Exceptions from this are VERY rare (like PHP-Friends with just 14days notice period)

I think you missed the point entirely. With gym membership, mobile phones and electricity, I could try to cancel today and after paying for the next month, that's it. With netcup (in the past), I could try to cancel today but because I was late by 1 day, I have to pay for an entire year. See the difference now?

To add on to this, netcup eventually backpedaled on this and allowed you to pay for the 13th month and cancel. (So if even netcup conceded on this point, I think you don't have to argue about this anymore)

• SkyriderSkyrider Member
    edited October 2022

@adns said:
    @Skyrider do you use Speedtest by Ookla binary on your VDS? If you use can you check me please the bandwidth to the server id 2073 and 3715? On the past weekend the performance (SSD, CPU)) and bandwidth drasticaly dropped but I didn't have enough time on the week to diagnose and report that to the support so I wrote yesterday. Before the drop I reached the maximum speeds (1/1 Gbps) that is the maximum on the endpoint where I tested but currently bw is very weak.

These are the results from the nearest:

Hosted by Popsite.info (Frankfurt) [143.90 km]: 5.376 ms
    Testing download speed................................................................................
    Download: 918.63 Mbit/s
    Testing upload speed......................................................................................................
    Upload: 820.86 Mbit/s

I however cannot use those ID's as it says No matched servers. Little google says its mostly because it uses nearby servers, and can't use those far away?

As for the main topic.. let's do a little calculation here.

If I'd go with Hetzner:

✅ 32GB RAM
    ✅ Single core performance (10%)
    ✅ Higher SSD read/write speeds
    ✅ True Dedicated Server
    ❌ Worse DDoS protection.
    ❌ 1GB vs 2.5GB on Netcup, thus lower speeds.
    ❌ Multi-core Performance (-40%)

Am I missing anything?

@AXYZE said: He should really look into multicore performance, as he is putting all eggs in baskets.

Isn't that a good thing? :D, I only use containers for everything. 1 container per domain. As such multiple MySQL / MariaDB installations exists.

Thanked by 1adns
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited October 2022

@NoComment said:

@AXYZE said:

@NoComment said:

I think you missed the point entirely. With gym membership, mobile phones and electricity, I could try to cancel today and after paying for the next month, that's it. With netcup (in the past), I could try to cancel today but because I was late by 1 day, I have to pay for an entire year. See the difference now?

But I didn't even replied to your comments until you wrote

I'm sure somewhere in their contract, they mentioned you have to cancel X days before the contract ends but that's kinda questionable because you don't even get the option to pay for the 13th month and cancel.

And I just replied to that, because cancelation notice is completely universal thing.
    How did I miss point which I didn't even replied to? xDDD

Before I replied to @LTniger who said

With netcup you MUST give them prior cancellation request, before ending service. If not done in time - your contract will be prolonged. And if not paid - collection agencies are looking for you.

Which is the case with 100% of contracts. Every contract is prolonged and if you don't pay collection agencies come.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited October 2022

@Skyrider said:
    Isn't that a good thing? :D, I only use containers for everything. 1 container per domain. As such multiple MySQL / MariaDB installations exists.

I'm not saying you are doing something bad, just stating a fact that if you run so many things in one machine then you definitely should look at multicore performance.

If you want to my answer on these servers, I'll say about other things:

With Hetzner you have dedicated resources. Nobody steals your RAM speed, disk speed, 100% of CPU is always available.
    With netcup you have instance that is built on managed server. You don't have guaranteed I/O, they just won't limit your CPU speed. Your instance isn't managed but server is - you don't need to worry about failures like disk fail. They monitor everything, they will replace it and if there's some anomalies they can migrate you to different server.
    With Hetzner you must monitor own server, send tickets to support for them to replace parts if they fail and then test it yourself. PSU can fail, mobo can fail, CPU can fail. You need to diagnose server yourself and have any knowledge to test everything. Support won't help you if you just say "my server is crashing". In some rare cases you need to request iPMI, login to that and analyze.

Do you think that you're good enough to do all of this? If so, then dedi is a great solution.
    But if checking logs and analyzing crashes, creating tickets to replace disk/mobo/psu/cpu/ram scare you then stick to VPS.

Both of these machines are very performant.

BF is coming, netcup will have other machines available. Maybe you'll get something at lower price.

• @AXYZE said:

@NoComment said:

@AXYZE said:

@NoComment said:

But I didn't even replied to your comments until you wrote

And I just replied to that, because cancelation notice is completely universal thing.
    How did I miss point which I didn't even replied to? xDDD

And before this, I talked about the obligation to pay for an entire year if you cancelled on the 365th day. That combined with the X days part of the contract is the weird part that is unusual. I also think this is what LTniger is unhappy about, not the existence of a contract.

• @NoComment said:
    And before this, I talked about the obligation to pay for an entire year if you cancelled on the 365th day. That combined with the X days part of the contract is the weird part that is unusual. I also think this is what LTniger is unhappy about, not the existence of a contract.

I didn't replied to that at all as I agree on this.

But LTniger was suprised about notice period which exists everywhere, including regular jobs. It's to protect both sides, nothing questionable.

Also, why even bother to get into "one year extension part" if that is not the case anymore and.... OP already has netcup server?
    I don't understand how you can bring it as argument against owning netcup server today

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited October 2022

Btw @Skyrider don't forget that netcup is using better DDoS protection for web (for game servers both are not that great) and you have 2.5Gbps network where Hetzner dedi will give you 1Gbps.

Better network speed itself can greatly reduce impact of attacks. Like if you have successful attack, but utilizes 900Mbps-1Gbps.

I would advise you to search for better netcup deal (check on their forum for transfers, transfers are free in netcup and done directly in panel, very easy) or wait for black friday.

Edit: ok you already know about DDoS protection & network speed, sorry haha

• @AXYZE said: Contract with ANYTHING doesn't end automatically and you must to do it before next billing period.

No. Contract is for X duration of period. When period is over customer decides what to do. At least in civilized part of Europe.

We should end this derail. It is not relevant in this case as netcup situation got clarified.

• @AXYZE said:

@Skyrider said:

I'm not saying you are doing something bad, just stating a fact that if you run so many things in one machine then you definitely should look at multicore performance.

If you want to my answer on these servers, I'll say about other things:

With Hetzner you have dedicated resources. Nobody steals your RAM speed, disk speed, 100% of CPU is always available.
    With netcup you have instance that is built on managed server. You don't have guaranteed I/O, they just won't limit your CPU speed. Your instance isn't managed but server is - you don't need to worry about failures like disk fail. They monitor everything, they will replace it and if there's some anomalies they can migrate you to different server.
    With Hetzner you must monitor own server, send tickets to support for them to replace parts if they fail and then test it yourself. PSU can fail, mobo can fail, CPU can fail. You need to diagnose server yourself and have any knowledge to test everything. Support won't help you if you just say "my server is crashing". In some rare cases you need to request iPMI, login to that and analyze.

Do you think that you're good enough to do all of this? If so, then dedi is a great solution.
    But if checking logs and analyzing crashes, creating tickets to replace disk/mobo/psu/cpu/ram scare you then stick to VPS.

Both of these machines are very performant.

BF is coming, netcup will have other machines available. Maybe you'll get something at lower price.

Appreciate the detailed reply. Granted that checking everything yourself can be a pain, but you do get more out of it. But I feel like I could get better, especially on the multi core score. Maybe there's other hosts out there with similar prices and specs a tad better than on netcup?

• At present, if you buy a service from netcup with a one-year contract, after the first year you can cancel at any time with a one-month -- more precisely, with 31 days -- notice

Thanked by 3AXYZE adns webcraft
  • @CalmDown said:
    Why do you even need proxmox for that? :)

use lxd + lxdware for fronend :)

lxdware works perfectly in an Alpine LXD container running php8 (including container backups)

• @itoffshore said:

@CalmDown said:
    Why do you even need proxmox for that? :)

use lxd + lxdware for fronend :)

lxdware works perfectly in an Alpine LXD container running php8 (including container backups)

Lxdware... I have not seen such software for a looong time.

https://github.com/lxdware/lxd-dashboard/blob/master/lxd-dashboard/backend/lxd/virtual-machines-single.php

• Guess I'll cancel the hetzner server :(

• Netcup charging VAT for non-EU customers is questionable though. It caught me off guard last black friday when I chose them because I logically deducted VAT and decided it was the best choice, then bam I was charged VAT, like WHAT.

• @LTniger said:

@AXYZE said:

@LTniger said:

@crilla said:

So once again, read the damn TOS first!

Netcup has been doing nothing wrong ever since it opened its business. If you play with rules, you'll notice that netcup has better customer support than Hetzner.

Thanked by 1crilla
  • SkyriderSkyrider Member
    edited October 2022

This topic has derailed badly. Why are you guys talking about the billing exactly?

• Just found another hetzner server which is the same, but v6 CPU instead of v5.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/compare/18043108?baseline=18082615

Slight improvement on multi core, and increase in single core. But still a 35 procent decrease in multi.