Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I stick with netcup (9.5 Root Server) or go with Hetzner Auction server (Xeon E3-1275 v5)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Should I stick with netcup (9.5 Root Server) or go with Hetzner Auction server (Xeon E3-1275 v5)

SkyriderSkyrider Member
edited October 2022 in General

Trying to decide if I should make the move:

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/compare/18082623?baseline=18082615

The hetzner server has an increase single core score, but decreased multi-core score. Using the server thus far for multiple domain web hosting, mysql, postresql, discord bots and possibly gaming server hosting. With hetzner I do have an increased ram of 32gb so 64GB total.

What's your intake?

Go with hetzner or stick with netcup
  1. Go with hetzner or netcup?69 votes
    1. Netcup
      44.93%
    2. Hetzner
      55.07%

Comments

• Like 32GB of ram vs 64GB of ram is whole different story
    Depending on your current usage You can make some conclusions but nobody else can
    By just looking at charts little gain in single core performance (112.3% vs 100%) wont negate this pretty big lose at multicore performance (59.0% vs 100%)
    Still there are some tasks when only single core performance matters...
    If you need more memory migrate otherwise I woudnt

• NoCommentNoComment Member
    edited October 2022

It really depends on the resources you are using. The biggest advantage of the hetzner server is that you get all the i/o for yourself. If all you needed was just more cpu/ram you could probably just upgrade your netcup vps but there's not much you can do about the i/o. Another advantage is that you get more traffic with hetzner but I doubt you need more traffic. If you don't need more traffic/HDDs, I personally think hetzner's auction servers are not that good value compared to their ryzen servers.

• The obvious question is whether your application is able to make use of multi-core or whether it's inherently single-threaded.

Even if it's single-threaded, if you have multiple systems on the machine, they would be able to make use of the parallelism, so it's likely the multi-core score is most important.

• The only reason why I'm considering in switching is because netcup is increasing their prices due to the energy crisis. Which is understandable, but it currently will par with the costs of hetzners auction server of about 39 euro (Don't want to go over 40 euro a month on a dedicated server).

I'm running the netcup server on Proxmox with ZFS (single disk).

https://i.imgur.com/zHcavg3.png
    https://i.imgur.com/xptM4ex.png

Currently not much using the cpu, but do wish to be future ready (especially ram wise). And yea, the multi-core decrease is what I'm worried about and makes me not want to switch. And if my applications are multi-core... besides nginx I think? Not sure if that's capable of it. Don't think it does at the moment.

• ErisaErisa Member
    edited October 2022

Do you run containers on Proxmox or any VMs? The hit from nested virtualisation on Netcup is worse than native virt on a dedi, but if you only use containers this won't affect you.

When it comes to ZFS, more memory is always better because it will simply use it as cache.

Which country tax are you using for price calculation? Hetzner defaults to German 19% VAT with the country selector at the top to choose others.
    There are i7-7700 and i7-8700 machines available depending on budget that comes with iGPUs (Mostly only useful for media transcoding or passing to a single workstation VM) and some with slightly higher speeds than the Xeon though not by much.

• If I see game server then I know higher single core ftw.
    I don't think there is any game server that can utilize multicores :D

• SkyriderSkyrider Member
    edited October 2022

I'm paying 21% tax (Netherlands). Kinda sucks it's quite a lot for online products.

I'm using Proxmox only for containers, no VM's as I can't do that anyway without the vmx flag. And I've looked into the 7700's as well but that's without ECC and that's not noticeably different over performance and price (only 1 more euro to pay from 7700 to E3-1275v5 as per benchmark:

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/compare/18082623?baseline=18083621 - only a 10% difference.

With the benchmark of the 7700 vs my current netcup server:

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/compare/18083621?baseline=18082615

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • Why do you even need proxmox for that? :)

use lxd + lxdware for fronend :)

Thanked by 2Skyrider itoffshore
  • @CalmDown said:
    Why do you even need proxmox for that? :)

use lxd + lxdware for fronend :)

Found it easier to automate things. All the hassle with manual command lines. Though I have to admit I never heard of lxdware before. Thanks for that :)

• But if we talk about your main question, go with dedi, it always better to have dedi nor VPS :)

• @CalmDown said:
    But if we talk about your main question, go with dedi, it always better to have dedi nor VPS :)

Technically it's a root server :D

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited October 2022

Not sure about the prices but for an E3 v5 in hetzner, you can get away with a Ryzen with ECC with newer hardware for about probably close to the same, right there at hetzner.

• @Skyrider said:

@CalmDown said:
    But if we talk about your main question, go with dedi, it always better to have dedi nor VPS :)

Technically it's a root server :D

Technically it's still virt and stuff is shared ;)

Thanked by 1Skyrider
  • @Hxxx said:
    Not sure about the prices but for an E3 v5 in hetzner, you can get away with a Ryzen with ECC with newer hardware for about probably close to the same, right there at hetzner.

Only server i see is one for 45 Euro's, with no ecc and set up fee.

• With a dedicated server you have the hassle of physically administering the server. You don't have that with a VPS.

• @Skyrider said:
    The only reason why I'm considering in switching is because netcup is increasing their prices due to the energy crisis.

Do you have a link for this? Not heard anything

• SkyriderSkyrider Member
    edited October 2022

@darkimmortal said:

@Skyrider said:
    The only reason why I'm considering in switching is because netcup is increasing their prices due to the energy crisis.

Do you have a link for this? Not heard anything

https://www.netcup-news.de/2022/10/06/preisanpassung-2022-2023/

Existing users will have their price adjusted in 2023. Emails hasn't been send out yet, but will be soon.

• I'm sorry for the > @CalmDown said:

Even if i lose 40% multi core performance?

• Hosting web pages and such is the more important single-core score.

Multi is indeed used for heavy tasks like transcoding, remuxing, and blablabla

• Mind the connection speed as well. If I remember things correct, Netcup root servers are with 2.5G uplinks while Hetzner is 1G.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • @kend said:
    Mind the connection speed as well. If I remember things correct, Netcup root servers are with 2.5G uplinks while Hetzner is 1G.

Not just that but netcup has better DDoS protection than hetzner. Hetzner is kind of a Minimal Protection & Build your own firewall

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • @hollowvi1 said:

@kend said:
    Mind the connection speed as well. If I remember things correct, Netcup root servers are with 2.5G uplinks while Hetzner is 1G.

Not just that but netcup has better DDoS protection than hetzner. Hetzner is kind of a Minimal Protection & Build your own firewall

True.

I've never moved my German servers back to Hetzner since I've used Netcup.

• So pretty much stick with netcup? Shame the next tier at netcup price is quite high for 64gb ram.

• When in doubt - always choose Hetzner. This is the rule. Like 2 x 2 = 4.

• @LTniger said:
    When in doubt - always choose Hetzner. This is the rule. Like 2 x 2 = 4.

Why is that if I may ask?

• @Skyrider said:

@LTniger said:

Superior control panel and support. Stellar brand without questionable billing practices.

• @LTniger said: without questionable billing practices.

huh? because Netcup is using some longer contracts?

Thanked by 1AXYZE
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited October 2022

@CalmDown said:
    Hosting web pages and such is the more important single-core score.

Multi is indeed used for heavy tasks like transcoding, remuxing, and blablabla

Why?
    Don't you use Nginx child processes (on by default)?
    Don't you use multiple PHP-FPM processes?
    Don't you use Node.js clustering (like PM2)?

all of these things use all cores.

Especially when he is hosting so much at one server...

Thanked by 1TODO
  • @LTniger said:

@Skyrider said:

@LTniger said:

Superior control panel and support. Stellar brand without questionable billing practices.

The billing very understandable and plannable if you read before buy. The fixed contract period is not unique, the only unique thing is that usualy not the entire cost billed, it must be paid partialy in the contract period.
    The control panel very good too. They have a wide range of options for the Root Server.
    I currently have a network performance problem and I contacted with support so I can make my experience later it's quality:)

@Skyrider do you use Speedtest by Ookla binary on your VDS? If you use can you check me please the bandwidth to the server id 2073 and 3715? On the past weekend the performance (SSD, CPU)) and bandwidth drasticaly dropped but I didn't have enough time on the week to diagnose and report that to the support so I wrote yesterday. Before the drop I reached the maximum speeds (1/1 Gbps) that is the maximum on the endpoint where I tested but currently bw is very weak.

• LeviLevi Member
    edited October 2022

@crilla said:

@LTniger said: without questionable billing practices.

huh? because Netcup is using some longer contracts?

Search this very forum for netcup related billing issues. If you are not from EU, netcup billing practices may look iffy at best. And of course if you are handed over collection agency, you will definitely understand the case.

With hetzner such cases non-existant or so minimal that irrelevant.