Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Success Using Social Media to Advertise Your Hosting? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any Success Using Social Media to Advertise Your Hosting?

2»

Comments

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Instagram has helped me a lot, however it was not easy. It takes money to make money, so you have to advertise at the right places as well as trying to grow your own account. It also takes a lot of time, but in the end, at least to me, it worked.

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions
  • edited October 2022

@pal2599 said:
    By the way @Offshore_Solutions your website offshoresolutions.com doesn’t resolve.

You're correct Sir, I'm not using "OffshoreSolutions" as a brand.

In my hunt for using Social Media for advertising, I want to pass along a tip to try "Mastodon" i received from @Jar who runs a large "Mastodon" server. I've been running Mastodon for 1 year & just upgraded my software to Pleroma/Elixir because of inherent weaknesses in Ruby that powers Mastodon.

Only the creator & CEO of "Mastodon," Eugen Rochko/@Gargron noticed my "Mastodon.tech" server had switched to Pleroma & he's private messaged me his intent to legal action if I don't abandon my domain:
    https://mastodon.social/@Gargron/109177601618496744

This is going to get expensive but I'm going to hire an attorney & fight this because:
    1) It's not right that someone can tell you what software you must run on your domain which I don't charge users or make money from.
    2) I have a bunch of Trademarks so I quickly looked up that Eugen Rochko was bluffing & doesn't have a US Trademark on "Mastodon." He has a German Trademark which carries no weight in the USA.
    3) To be infringing I would have had to create a competing software, call it "Mastodon" & be making money from it.

Therefore I'm selling my assets to fund my legal fees. Please feel free to make an offer over $5K for HostBoards.com as all offers will be considered.

Thanked by 1iamATOM
  • I'm a customer and not a provider, but I never used any social media to find the service I need.

It depends on your service. If you are providing hosting with other services like web design then I think social media can be helpful for advertisement but if you are only providing hosting and no other service then I don't think you can get anything from social media presence (of course you should have a twitter for announcements and such).

• edited October 2022

@patro said:
    I'm a customer and not a provider, but I never used any social media to find the service I need.

But let me point out that LowEndTalk, & all forums, are social media right? Perhaps some of the oldest social media?

So how did you find your hosting if not on LowEndTalk?

• @Offshore_Solutions said:
    But let me point out that LowEndTalk, & all forums, are social media right? Perhaps some of the oldest social media?

So how did you find your hosting if not on LowEndTalk?

Well you were talking about twitter, facebook and reddit in the first post. LET and LES are different compared to generic social media. Here you will gain customers by providing a good service while the general concept of social media is to gain customers with advertisement.

• LeeLee Veteran

@Offshore_Solutions said: This is going to get expensive but I'm going to hire an attorney & fight this

It takes all kind of stupid these days.

• I'd fight an attorney for free.

• edited October 2022

@Lee said:

@Offshore_Solutions said: This is going to get expensive but I'm going to hire an attorney & fight this

It takes all kind of stupid these days.

Respect for your opinion. Please may I ask why you believe Eugen Rochko/@Gargron will win?

@DP or @jbiloh, this lawsuit stuff is taking this thread off topic. I started a new topic here:
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/182036/incoming-mastodon-lawsuit-to-fight-or-run

Please can you delete the lawsuit post above because I put it into a new thread?

• LeeLee Veteran

@Offshore_Solutions said: Please may I ask why you believe Eugen Rochko/@Gargron will win?

Honestly, they probably won't even pursue it. But if they did it is not worth your effort to fight it. Using mastodon.tech implies precisely what to expect and then you don't get that.

Just let it go. Switch to a different domain and walk away.

• @Lee said:

@Offshore_Solutions said: Please may I ask why you believe Eugen Rochko/@Gargron will win?

Honestly, they probably won't even pursue it. But if they did it is not worth your effort to fight it. Using mastodon.tech implies precisely what to expect and then you don't get that.

Just let it go. Switch to a different domain and walk away.

Mad respect for that intelligent answer 🙏

For anyone new commenting on lawsuit, that topic moved here: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/182036/incoming-mastodon-lawsuit-to-fight-or-run

This thread back to Social Media if a Moderator could please move "lawsuit" posts.