Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free - Backup Scripts
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free - Backup Scripts

nimdynimdy Member

Does anyone have any scripts to enable automatic backups of VMs on the Oracle free tier? I've only found one guide on the Oracle site itself, but the script doesn't work for me.

Comments

• Borgbackup

• TimRooTimRoo Member
    edited October 2022

Just an FYI to backup to a residential IP and not a VPS of another sort. It's suspected that accounts were being terminated for using VPNs, and data centers that house VPS systems are typically in the same IP range. See the main Oracle Cloud thread for discussion.

Thanked by 1alilet
  • @TimRoo said:
    Just an FYI to backup to a residential IP and not a VPS of another sort. It's suspected that accounts were being terminated for using VPNs, and data centers that house VPS systems are typically in the same IP range. See the main Oracle Cloud thread for discussion.

That’s extremely stupid and limiting, if that’s the case.

• Thanks, I'll give it a go. The readme for that GitHub basically says that the guide the Oracle guy wrote no longer works because Oracle changed the APIs, which must be the problem I had. I'll see if this tweaked script works for me.

• @TimRoo said:

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind.

• @nimdy said:

@TimRoo said:

I believe it was just one command to handle a tenancy thing.

Also, this just backs up to Oracle and restores to Oracle easily. This won't protect if your Oracle account gets closed unexpectedly (seems to be more common than losing a VM to hardware failure these days), so you still need another off-site solution for your data that can't be replaced easily.

• nimdynimdy Member
    edited October 2022

@TimboJones said:

@nimdy said:

@TimRoo said:

Also, this just backs up to Oracle and restores to Oracle easily. This won't protect if your Oracle account gets closed unexpectedly (seems to be more common than losing a VM to hardware failure these days), so you still need another off-site solution for your data that can't be replaced easily.

I'm hoping to have three types of backup in place - entire VM backed up within Oracle, VM zipped and backed up to third party storage, and finally a wordpress backup to a third location. At the moment my current Digital Ocean VM is only backed up to DO, so that is a bit risky at the moment.

• @nimdy said:

@TimboJones said:

@nimdy said:

@TimRoo said:

I'm hoping to have three types of backup in place - entire VM backed up within Oracle, VM zipped and backed up to third party storage, and finally a wordpress backup to a third location. At the moment my current Digital Ocean VM is only backed up to DO, so that is a bit risky at the moment.

For wordpress, you can try some wordpress plugins to automatic backup to dropbox or gdrive.

• aliletalilet Member
    edited October 2022

@TimRoo said:

My account was terminated. I was using a cron job to backup wordpress site from VirMach VPS to Oracle VPS.