Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

React has been fun so far
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

React has been fun so far

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Following up on my previous post, I've dived into React and enjoyed it so far.

My current stack is:

• React
  • Bootstrap and Tailwind CSS, also playing on the side with other component sets
  • At work, golang + Oracle. started building an app at home using Firestore which is so damn seductive
  • VS Code with prettier. Started using vim-mode (which reminded me of emacs of yore in viile mode) but it had some weird interactions so now it feels more like Sublime Text on steroids

My experience with this ecosystem is that it suffers from poor quality documentation. Typically there's a quick start that makes it all look so easy in a toy app but when you try to implement whatever it is into your app, you're soon googling for error messages. It's obvious that docs have been written at different times by random contributors but without an eye to a truly organized set of docs you could read and understand. There's a lot of sourcediving.

I'm such a neanderthal at the front end and had never used an Js frameworks and I've found it pretty easy. I'd still rather write backend code.

I found going through these exercises (free) as a Js refresher also very helpful

Comments

• @raindog308 said:
    My experience with this ecosystem is that it suffers from poor quality documentation.

That's what those yellow Dummies books are for.