Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubuntu Pro is free for personal use!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ubuntu Pro is free for personal use!

niranjanniranjan Member
edited October 2022 in News

Ubuntu Pro is free for personal use for upto 5 devices.

Check here, https://ubuntu.com/pro

Comments

• ArkasArkas Moderator

503 Service Unavailable
    No server is available to handle this request.

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited October 2022

Ok, got to the page.
    What DE does it use? Is it still Gnome?

• @Arkas said:
    503 Service Unavailable
    No server is available to handle this request.

LoL, same happened with me, refreshed few times and it was working again,

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • devpdevp Member
    edited October 2022

An Opensource debian based distro become corporate offering after aquired by canonical and is now becoming enterprise oriented distro and still marking them as opensource.

Thanked by 2pike Maounique
  • @devp said:
    An Opensource debian based distro become corporate offering after aquired by canonical and is now becoming enterprise oriented distro and still marking them as opensource.

Where exactly is the problem?

• devpdevp Member
    edited October 2022

@angstrom said:

@devp said:

Current CentOS Transition cycle. Ubuntu is moving towards that direction as well.

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2022

Whatever.
    ~#bullseye forever(as once a new stable version is released, tag will be updated. #bookworm soon)

Thanked by 3devp nick_ pike
  • @devp said:

@angstrom said:

@devp said:

Current CentOS Transition cycle. Ubuntu is moving towards that direction as well.

Perhaps you could elaborate?

In my view, the historical developments/roles of Canonical and Red Hat are rather different, and so oversimplified analogies are bound to be inaccurate

In a sense, Canonical have offered a kind of "Ubuntu Pro" for a while now, but it wasn't baptized as such. The second five years of support for Ubuntu LTS -- beyond the first five years -- have been a paid subscription

One could argue that since Ubuntu Pro is free for personal use and covers more packages, it's an improvement over the situation until now

Thanked by 2OhJohn ariq01
  • Canonical is a likely acquisition candidate for Microsoft, long term that makes me concerned. Other than that, good way to (re) build a subscription base among non corporate customers . Ubuntu One was a past attempt.

• People have to eat. Profitability is always good. Balance is key.

• We might get a new free Linux distribution, based on Ubuntu Pro.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@vyas11 said: Canonical is a likely acquisition candidate for Microsoft

I am confident that those that look into the code will find something like that and report back. In my case, I prefer Debian 11 for my servers, and I use Debian with KDE at home and in the office. If this edition has a choice of DEs, I'd look at it.

Thanked by 1pike
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2022

@Arkas said:

@vyas11 said: Canonical is a likely acquisition candidate for Microsoft

I am confident that those that look into the code will find something like that and report back. In my case, I prefer Debian 11 for my servers, and I use Debian with KDE at home and in the office. If this edition has a choice of DEs, I'd look at it.

Speaking on the Corporate/ company/ business perspective, MS already have partnership with Canonical, and what better way to establish branding/ acceptance among the users for Azure than Ubuntu?

AWS is also a close contender. I still recall the horror when I first saw amazon icon/ shortcut on Ubuntu toolbar. Made me leave the stock Ubuntu.

As far as code is concerned - cannot comment.

Thanked by 1dominos
  • It says Python2 there. Are they going to maintain it for security?

• Ubuntu have proprietary binaries that are not opensource and allow them to install from official repositories which is quite different from debian default FOSS only code-of-conduct with the capability to install proprietary software and drivers as per usage basis.

• tjntjn Member

Those that complain about Canonical "ruining" Ubuntu or prioritising corporate profits over open-source always make laugh.

1 - Ubuntu became one of the most accessible and easy to use distro's that in a way brought a lot of people to the Linux world. Just look at how many tutorials there are for installing various applications on Ubuntu server for example.

2 - If you really hate it that much, just go back to Debian - it's really not hard :D

I personally use Debian and genuinely appreciate Canonical's efforts to make things easier in both the personal and enterprise Linux space.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

So you can run that snap peace of shit, even if Ubuntu ditches it, I hope they will, for another 10 years? uuuuuuuuu

Thanked by 1FatGrizzly
  • @vyas11 said:
    Speaking on the Corporate/ company/ business perspective, MS already have partnership with Canonical, and what better way to establish branding/ acceptance among the users for Azure than Ubuntu?

This is already a thing though? I've been using azure devops for a couple of years at my work, Microsoft runs hosted Ubuntu agents for build pipelines, they've got 18.04, 20.04, and 22.04 available right now.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

AlmaLinux forever. My two cents.

Thanked by 2FatGrizzly bakageta

@MikePT said:

Debian? 🥺

Thanked by 1netomx
  • So I guess no new/more LTS version from now? Like there is no point in having LTS and PRO at the same time? Sad :(

• devpdevp Member
    edited October 2022

@tjn said: Those that complain about Canonical "ruining" Ubuntu or prioritising corporate profits over open-source always make laugh.

Ubuntu before Canonical was way better than what that is today in terms of performance. Most earlier contributions made to the core structure remains intact with minor updates.

@tjn said: Ubuntu became one of the most accessible and easy to use distro's that in a way brought a lot of people to the Linux world. Just look at how many tutorials there are for installing various applications on Ubuntu server for example.

Earlier debian and other were difficult as even basic distro installation have to be complied on the hardware for most installations. Even after compilation further significant configuration required.

Ubuntu Community solves that by providing well supported precompiled binaries for a variety of hardware which make installation even on older hardware a breeze. Whenever required a large group of supporters were there to provide solutions and suggestion on the public forums. That was in 2010. Ubuntu also provide CD and ships to the address to anybody that asked for that through filling a form. Due to that large supporter group of people there arises a number of derivatives of Ubuntu which become popular for their specific use cases and many of them do still existing.

@tjn said: If you really hate it that much, just go back to Debian - it's really not hard

Debian travelled a lot far to catch up things eventually is now simple to install and support even a larger architecture set that ubuntu ever had.

In nutshell Canonical is enterperising Ubuntu and having corporate deals while most softwares and drivers are developed by community members as OpenSourceSoftware.

Here are links for reference:

Thanked by 3tjn default afn

@FatGrizzly said:

@MikePT said:

Debian? 🥺

Debian no thx. :(

@MikePT said:

@FatGrizzly said:

@MikePT said:

Debian? 🥺

Simple question for you.
    Debian or Ubuntu? #1
    Almalinux or Rockylinux? #2
    above question's answer vs Cloudlinux? #3

• tjntjn Member

@FatGrizzly said:

Outside of a shared hosting environment, I can't imagine anyone using CloudLinux...?

@tjn said:

@FatGrizzly said:

Outside of a shared hosting environment, I can't imagine anyone using CloudLinux...?

i should've mentioned, that is specifically targetted at shared hosting(that question).

• lol debian thx

Thanked by 1tjn
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2022

@bakageta said:

@vyas11 said:

This is already a thing though? I've been using azure devops for a couple of years at my work, Microsoft runs hosted Ubuntu agents for build pipelines, they've got 18.04, 20.04, and 22.04 available right now.

Let's see..
    What sounds better for Marketers, investors/ Corporate talks: Github,a Microsoft company; or "We (Microsoft) are a Github partner"?

Now, replace Github with Canonical and see what reads/ feels better. Remember which hat you have to wear to feel better though.

--self deleted the financial and acquisition related comments. Not of interest for most--

@MikePT said:

@FatGrizzly said:

@MikePT said:

Debian? 🥺

Where I am from, the words you typed can mean
    "Debian (I) Know, thanks"
    or
    Debian, no? Thanks.

Both imply you are thanking @FatGrizzly for suggesting Debian.

@tjn said:

@FatGrizzly said:

I also have seen a few people running Cloudlinux solo os

@FatGrizzly said:

@MikePT said:

@FatGrizzly said:

@MikePT said:

Debian? 🥺

Simple question for you.
    Debian or Ubuntu? #1
    Almalinux or Rockylinux? #2

Debian.
    AlmaLinux.

CloudLinux. As I work there and we rock.

❤️