Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Buyshared will charge $5.00/m for a Dedicated IP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Buyshared will charge $5.00/m for a Dedicated IP

**Complete email that I have received :
**
_Your BuyShared IP address will be changing in the next 90 days.

Over the years the reasons we gave to justify including a dedicated IP address with each reseller have become moot. Many years ago we started including Mailchannels with all services, and the final one, layer 4 DDOS protection, will be changing in the coming days.

Your IP address will be changed to a common ‘shared IP’ that will be used by all users on the entire node.

If you require a dedicated IP address, these will be available for an additional $5.00/month, per IP address. Your IP address will still have to change though.

We ask that you please log a ticket with support to arrange a good time to change over.

Come January 1st 2023 we’ll be forcefully renumbering everyone that’s left over.

Nameserver IP addresses will not be changing.
_

«1

Comments

  • that email seems for their cpanel/DA resellers
    not for vm users it seems?

  • @JasonM said:
    that email seems for their cpanel/DA resellers
    not for vm users it seems?

    BuyShared which is their Shared/Reseller hosting not BuyVM which is vm users :)

  • even if it become shared ip, imo you guys still lucky to have buyshared reseller service

    Thanked by 2BlaZe maverickp
  • @ElonBezos said: even if it become shared ip, imo you guys still lucky to have buyshared reseller service

    >
    Not that much, 48$ for 50GB DA Reseller without Dedicated IP. Many other LET providers also provide.

  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

    @ElonBezos said:
    even if it become shared ip, imo you guys still lucky to have buyshared reseller service

    True!

  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

    The reasonable thing is providing:

    • Dedicated IPv6 to each site.
    • Separate IPv6 /64 to each reseller.
    • Shared IPv4 for entire server.
  • Hmm, I had 2 packages and not yet receive the email.

  • Buyshared Luxembourg customers received the above email.

  • ArkasArkas Moderator

    Unfortunately we will soon see more and more of this from different providers. The thing is, a dedicated IP isn't just advantageous for email, but quite a few more services.

  • ErisaErisa Member
    edited September 29

    @Arkas said:
    Unfortunately we will soon see more and more of this from different providers. The thing is, a dedicated IP isn't just advantageous for email, but quite a few more services.

    What would those services be? I struggle to think of any personally, so curious what your thoughts are.

    Edit: Keeping in mind this is in the context of a shared/reseller webhosting, anyway. There are plenty for VPS.

  • ArkasArkas Moderator

    @Erisa said: Edit: Keeping in mind this is in the context of a shared/reseller webhosting, anyway. There are plenty for VPS.

    1 case scenario is using the IP as a nameserver, making your shared hosting look almost like a reseller account.
    Using your own IP as a nameserver just looks more professional and clears you of your neighbors activities.

    Thanked by 1Erisa
  • tjntjn Member

    How does it clear you of neighbour's activities if you're using it as a nameserver?

    Thanked by 1afn
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

    @tjn said: How does it clear you of neighbour's activities if you're using it as a nameserver?

    Your IP can be used for email, and reverse lookups will look much bettter than a shared IP. Sorry forr the spelling errors I'm writing this from an airplane seat and turbulence is strong.

  • I think it's reasonable when IP costs grows since a few years, Fran services it's still affordable.

  • tjntjn Member

    @Arkas said:
    Your IP can be used for email, and reverse lookups will look much bettter than a shared IP.

    True, but I hope that any provider worth their salt is using some sort of outbound mail service - which based on the email, BuyShared seems to be using MailChannels.

    Thanked by 1Arkas
  • FranciscoFrancisco Member, Top Host, Host Rep

    @Arkas said:

    @Erisa said: Edit: Keeping in mind this is in the context of a shared/reseller webhosting, anyway. There are plenty for VPS.

    1 case scenario is using the IP as a nameserver, making your shared hosting look almost like a reseller account.
    Using your own IP as a nameserver just looks more professional and clears you of your neighbors activities.

    We disable named on our shared nodes as we have our dns cluster available for both product lines.

    The IPs didn’t make sense anymore with mailchannels being included. We will also enable ddos protection on the ranges to deal with the other reason we gave them.

    Vegas will get an email in the coming weeks once we confirm which ip range I’ll use.

    This is also a “first step” to shared moving under namecrane.

    Francisco

  • Considering... the super low prices people are paying for this premium reseller service which is scarce/limited/not-found, and considering is run by Francisco... $5/mo is reasonable for a dedicated IP. No reason to have one if you are running shared hosting anyway.

  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator

    Is $5/month per dedicated ip on shared hosting market rates?

  • FranciscoFrancisco Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited September 29

    @jbiloh said:
    Is $5/month per dedicated ip on shared hosting market rates?

    Middle of the field I guess? Namecheap and others are a bit cheaper for the IP, but you're then paying $20/m for the base plan, not $2/month with us.

    I can't confirm how much godaddy charges, but threads from 2007 showed they were $2.99/month.

    I bet in the end we'll sell a very small handful because if you really need a dedicated IP, you're probably good to get a Slice + free Directadmin anyway.

    @yoursunny said: The reasonable thing is providing:

    Dedicated IPv6 to each site.
    Separate IPv6 /64 to each reseller.
    Shared IPv4 for entire server.

    I'd have to check if its improved, but cPanel's IPV6 support was pure garbage not too long ago. Directadmin's a bit better, but I don't know if you can have a shared V4, with each site/account getting a dedicated V6.

    So far my experience with DA was that you 'link' a V4 & V6 together, that way whenever one IP is used by a user, the other comes along for the ride.

    Francisco

  • wdmgwdmg Member, LIR

    @Francisco said: Middle of the field I guess? Namecheap and others are a bit cheaper for the IP, but you're then paying $20/m for the base plan, not $2/month with us.

    Are you including DDoS protection on the dedicated IPs? If so that's a very cheap price all things considered.

  • FranciscoFrancisco Member, Top Host, Host Rep

    @wdmg said: Are you including DDoS protection on the dedicated IPs? If so that's a very cheap price all things considered.

    Yes, Layer 4. The shared IP will also be DDOS protected.

    Francisco

    Thanked by 1wdmg
  • Is even DDoS protected. Wow!

  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

    @Francisco said:

    @yoursunny said: The reasonable thing is providing:

    Dedicated IPv6 to each site.
    Separate IPv6 /64 to each reseller.
    Shared IPv4 for entire server.

    I'd have to check if its improved, but cPanel's IPV6 support was pure garbage not too long ago. Directadmin's a bit better, but I don't know if you can have a shared V4, with each site/account getting a dedicated V6.

    So far my experience with DA was that you 'link' a V4 & V6 together, that way whenever one IP is used by a user, the other comes along for the ride.

    You don't have to bind the public IPv4 onto DirectAdmin.
    Each site would have a private IPv4 and a public IPv6.

    A reverse proxy listens on public IPv4 and forwards requests to private IPv4 or public IPv6.
    You only need one reverse proxy and one public IPv4 per data center, even if there are multiple servers.

  • akbakb Member

    @yoursunny said: A reverse proxy listens on public IPv4 and forwards requests to private IPv4 or public IPv6.

    What about domains <-> private IPv4/public IPv6 mappings? SSL termination etc. How will that be managed? Directadmin doesn't have any such facility afaik.

  • So, now can we riot and call for frans head? Orrrrr do we wait? 😝

    I think a dedicated ip per shared account is an unreasonable expectation at the costs involved, given outbound emailing is via mail channels.

    The cost, becomes silly comparatively to a vps/slice and would be my preference if those circumstances dictated my need - I can't think of any circumstances where a dedicated ip is warrented on shared hosting other than a want and not a need

  • @yoursunny I don't think you though that through...
    Over complicating a situation. FUCK IPV6, nobody cares about that shit.
    Now do 4 push-up.

  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

    @akb said:

    @yoursunny said: A reverse proxy listens on public IPv4 and forwards requests to private IPv4 or public IPv6.

    What about domains <-> private IPv4/public IPv6 mappings? SSL termination etc. How will that be managed? Directadmin doesn't have any such facility afaik.

    TLS termination occurs on DirectAdmin server.
    The reverse proxy forwards traffic by Server Name Indication (SNI) header, just like domain forwarding feature in Virtualizor at many NAT VPS providers.

  • Out of topic

    I am curious, what is advantage Mailchannels with other similiar relay

    Are they too superb based on their price?

  • akbakb Member

    @yoursunny said: TLS termination occurs on DirectAdmin server.

    Even with that you need some sort of system to manage the mapping of domains with their IPv6/private IPv4 for that reverse proxy working in TCP mode.

    @yoursunny said: just like domain forwarding feature in Virtualizor at many NAT VPS providers.

    But thats a feature which VIrtualizor provides. DA doesn't have it.

  • Is it just me or is https://frantech.ca down?

Sign In or Register to comment.