Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cPanel Price Increase (Dec 2022)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cPanel Price Increase (Dec 2022)

MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran
edited September 2022 in General

Everyone ready for another round? Prices effective Dec 16 2022.

Comments

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

Hi, we have been using cPanel since 2006 (We used LayeredTech servers)...

Since 2009 we bought our licenses from buycpanel for servers in our network and others from OVH for servers hosted at OVH.

Approximately we purchased a new license every month. Not for us, but when a client hires a managed VPS from us, the license is included in the price.

With the change of licensing model in 2019 we became a cPanel partner to buy licenses directly. And we started charging separate license fees. They were no longer included in the VPS price.

This month we have stopped paying the last license to OVH, now we only have the ones we bought directly from cPanel.

We have been months without acquiring new licenses, we still offer managed servers on our web site, but customers hardly buy them anymore, it has become too expensive because of the price of the licenses, and the licenses we already had are gradually being reduced.

Actually, we feel quite comfortable with this situation... our main business model has always been unmanaged servers, they are customers that do not give problems and do not require support and thanks to this price increase the trend is being of customers moving their platform managed with cPanel to unmanaged with open panels.

We have never earned anything with cPanel licenses and now we are seeing how by just synchronizing the cost of the licenses and without doing anything else, the bill with cPanel is reduced every month and we have customers more focused on unmanaged models without cPanel.

Thanks cPanel for your great work!

Thanked by 2mustafamw3 zenks
  • bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

Like every year :)

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2022

one simple phrase.
    F##k cPanel.

I wonder how grandpa's and grandma's gonna manage their website after this.

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@jmginer said:
    Thanks cPanel for your great work!

Same situation, we're seeing a constant reduction in cPanel licenses.

• Where has this been communicated?

• did anyone win the $100 ? or not yet

• HostMediaHostMedia Member, Patron Provider

@noobjockeys said:
    Where has this been communicated?

It was emailed, full email below:

This email is to inform you of an adjustment to our pricing structure effective December 16, 2022. The following table outlines the full details of these changes:

We understand the material impact that these changes have on your business. We are continually researching to determine ways in which we can strengthen our partnership while also helping you grow your business. One of these initiatives is the introduction of an incentive program. To be among the first to know about this program, click here to sign up and stay informed.

Throughout 2022, we successfully launched a more modern interface, as well as NGINX caching, and support for Ubuntu, with additional OS support (including Rocky Linux) is underway. We remain vigilant in our security protocols as we combat and mitigate issues stemming from malicious threats.

Moving into 2023, some of the exciting features on the horizon include Team Manager, which empowers cPanel account owners to safely and securely delegate management of various aspects of account management (site development, database management, email administration, etc.) to other members of their team without sharing login credentials. We are also creating a new product to facilitate horizontal website scaling, with a special focus on WordPress-powered sites. With our upcoming product, your customers' websites will be able to withstand sudden increases in demand with failover benefits.

We would also like to take this opportunity to encourage you to become a cPanel certified partner, if you have not done so already. While all partners receive tier discounts, our certified partners enjoy not only an additional discount but also ultra-priority technical support. This enables the greatest value available as a partner. We encourage you to visit cpanel.net/partners/#certified today to get started.

For additional information regarding this pricing adjustment, please visit our FAQ and License Guide. If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact your account manager or reply directly to this email and we'll be happy to assist you.

Your cPanel Team

• nessanessa Member, Patron Provider

I used to be heavily involved in the cPanel community when I was with IMH, but since their sale to VC I feel everything has changed. Nothing released in the last couple of years justifies these price increases.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • Woohoo let's go!!!! Can't wait for next year's price increase! Woot woot!

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Venture cap jacking up those margins.

Consider it TINA in full effect.

• Lol - I'd really like to understand the business strategy behind these constant price increases. What's the endgoal here?

The last couple of years, it just looks like they're pushing everyone towards competing products - of which there really aren't many.

• I guess that they're counting on a significant market segment that's ready to pay price increases no matter what, but even so, I imagine that their customer base has significantly narrowed since the price increases began

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

@tjn said: like they're pushing everyone towards competing products

There are bigger hosts with thousands of customers and they were the main paying customer of cpanel. These biggies are moving away. cPanel is just killing itself.

• interservermikeinterservermike Member, Patron Provider

We also see less market share for cPanel. Customers are choosing alternative options. But they make up for the loss of revenue after the price increases almost perfectly. That must be the overall business model. I do not think this strategy will be sustainable for them in the long run.

Plesk is also doing an increase.

Thanked by 2hostdare dev077

@jbiloh said:

I think at this point they're trying to maintain revenue. There's been a major shift away from cPanel.

@tjn said:
    Lol - I'd really like to understand the business strategy behind these constant price increases. What's the endgoal here?

Squeeze every bit of profit out of their purchase, then when it starts losing steam, sell it at incredibly inflated pricing showing major revenue increase over time.

WHMCS will go through the same.

• @MrRadic said:
    Squeeze every bit of profit out of their purchase, then when it starts losing steam, sell it at incredibly inflated pricing showing major revenue increase over time.

Surely anyone that will do their due diligence will be able to see right through it?
    I can't imagine there being a lot of pontential buyers for the likes of cPanel

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Let’s see if solus and whmcs get the same treatment.

Francisco

Thanked by 1FatGrizzly
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@MrRadic said:

@jbiloh said:

I think at this point they're trying to maintain revenue. There's been a major shift away from cPanel.

What percentage of hosts are shifting to other panels and to which panel?

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Good that they did not put the blame on the EU energy crisis.

• @BlaZe said:

Get ready for the February 2023 price hike because of the energy prices.

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • I feel that at some point they will start raising prices every month

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

CPanel should just charge per account.. it would make more sense.

I am also wondering about WHMCS price increase, I have been working on Migration, but WHMCS is just working right now and HostBill is a bit more of a Learning curve.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@JamesF said: CPanel should just charge per account.. it would make more sense.

....they do, on top of the prices above.

Where you been the past 5 years?

Francisco

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

As much as I regret not owning a portion of CPanel when I have the chance in the Mid-90s, a small consolation is that I can sleep at night knowing I'm not treating my fellow industry folks like this. ;-)

~ SMARTHOST

Thanked by 2Shakib XiNiX
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

DirectAdmin seems to be going down the same path. medium to large Hosts are going to end up going with in house built panels. More analysis coming soon :smile:

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • @Arkas Sir or Madam...
    How is DA going the same path? They don't charge per account and they have a "price guarantee".

Enlighten all of us with your analysis...

• @BlaZe said:

and who is to blame for the price increase? surely the war. ;)

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@Hxxx said: Enlighten all of us with your analysis...

Hi. I meant this:
    https://lowendbox.com/blog/your-directadmin-cost-might-be-going-up-by-250/