Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSH Key Authentication | How to Create SSH Key Pairs - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSH Key Authentication | How to Create SSH Key Pairs

Comments

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited September 2022

@kimiwei said: I doubt you're even a real greek, you inbred southern orange.

I wish I had abs like that, and this is a volunteer position.
    Hi weasel! Bye weasel.

• @Arkas said:

@Falzo said: so, what's it gonna be?

I actually waited for the second option, and it was engaged. Please re-study the thread.

no need to re-study, you threatened first and only after @jackb jumped in and suggested to rather not self-moderate pointed out that you'll have someone else look into.

that's not really the second option - but however, I'll rest my case.
    if you start moving these topics to "tutorials", that's even more hilarious. but whatever floats your boat...

• Hidden agenda's reminded me, @Arkas is the author of one of my favorite 2022 LET quotes:

What the Hell are you talking about? You babling monkey. Everyone who disagrees with you seems to have a hidden agenda. I will pour out YOUR agenda you imbecile.

Such passion!

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@rogerwilco said: Such passion!

Not one of my best moments. I have much better ones, like the one in my sig.

Thanked by 1rogerwilco
  • Some people just shouldn't be moderators... just don't have the mental acuity to be unbiased and fair. Honestly I'm ashamed of the moderators of LET nowadays. But don't worry, you guys just keep getting your clicks and your views and everything's good right? But honestly though, do you guys really feel like LET is better than it was?? I don't.

• emgemg Veteran
    edited September 2022

Arkas is among those who are trying to remedy the less-than-optimal community support for newbies. I want to acknowledge the goal and the effort. I don't agree with the approach of using videos to teach Linux, but maybe others do better with it than I think. I sent Arkas a friendly PM about it a couple days ago, explaining why I don't think it will work and offering suggestions for improvement if they stick with it.

Thanked by 2Not_Oles jsg
  • The issue here isn't the video but how it's so forced upon with a dedicated thread to a YouTube video, it's just weird in all honesty.

If anyone wanted this information in a video format, it's a YouTube search away.

There's something weird about posting these threads based on no targeting what-so-ever.

There is a search function on YouTube, and it works really well.

A super-specific tutorial in a really generalized space just seems weird. For every 1 person who find this relevant 1 000 will not.

And the one who find this relevant won't follow along, because if he/she had the time and will-power, he/she would have searched for such a tutorial on YouTube.

Not that much discussion going on at the moment though, so I guess the post did forcefully light up the place.

Thanked by 2corbpie martheen
  • I see 3 things:

1 - People giving feedback to Arkas, possibly to the point of baiting
    2 - Arkas reacting by threatening a wild abuse of power
    3 - Another mod backing Arkas up

Who is right? Probably nobody, everyone sucks here. Such is LET. But if you get personally offended by feedback, especially as a mod, maybe you should step back and breathe.

Thanked by 2devp Marx
  • @Arkas said:

@Falzo said: so just because you also have a moderating position here, no one really questions your motives (in terms of possible shill etc.), but knows you are a sock puppet marketeer for Jon. and that's the only reason this topic still exists.

This topic and others like it are of my own creation, Jon has nothing to do with it! Stop blaming everything on Jon!

He made you mod, no?

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@TimboJones said: He made you mod, no?

No, it was a coup. I took over control of LET and negotiated with the President. After external forces came into play, it was decided that I would be a moderator and give back partial control of LET until I reveal myself as an Admin and the rightful owner of LET. Viva la revolución! :smile:

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited September 2022

@Not_Oles said:
    @TimboJones I agree that most of your responses are "pretty clear and self-explanatory." Yes, you also are right that most of your responses are "criticism."

However, many of your criticisms might seem "negative" rather than "constructive." For example, please look right here in this thread.

• How is it "constructive" when you refer to someone as a crying snowflake?

This wasn't until after you got involved with your "questions".

• How is it "constructive" when you call someone's questions "stupid."

This wasn't until after you got involved with your "questions".

• How is it "constructive" when you call one of our respected mods a "spammer?"

I never did. Nobody did. @Arkas had a hissy fit over his link to a video being called spam by someone else. Being a spammer is like being stupid. Everyone says something stupid from time to time, that doesn't make them stupid. Likewise, I wouldn't call someone a spammer unless it happened repeatedly. I am not there.

I wish you the best! I want you to be happy here at LET! Some of your posts are helpful. Maybe you might be happier here at LET if you focus on comments and on starting new threads where you add substantive and positive contributions?

Best wishes and kindest regards! :)

I don't really require LET to be my only source of happiness. But thanks for your opinion on my happiness. Someday, I might be so happy as to excessively use !'s as well. One can hope.

• Someone got a timeout for calling someone else a name?

Either I am getting old, or LET is becoming a bit worse than pre-K.

Hilarious 😆

Thanked by 5iKeyZ Pwner tjn devp Marx
  • neverainneverain Member
    edited September 2022

Why did you delete my post? Is it only content when admins post random yt links? also why was I warned?

• @NobodyInteresting said:
    Someone got a timeout for calling someone else a name?

No, actually. He got banned for posting FOUR memes in a single thread!

I can't find that rule, anywhere.

Perhaps he would have been ok if they were four videos instead.

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@TimboJones

crying snowflake + spammer + stupid + hissy fit = warning

Please don't refer to @Arkas or any other member using disrespectful, negative language. It's okay to have opinions. It's not okay to express your opinions so negatively. "Hissy fit" is especially negative given it's etymology and the history of that term here on LET related to the present context.

I really appreciate your support of LET. Thank you! I have seen helpful and interesting comments you have posted. I would regret seeing your negative comments cause a ban, thereby depriving LET of your helpful and interesting comments. Please stop the negativity. Please stop the direct attacks on other members and moderators using disrespectful, negative language.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@TimboJones said: No, actually. He got banned for posting FOUR memes in a single thread!

Call it as it is Timbo. He got banned for using memes to make fun of others. He was being a dick (that is a rule).

• @Arkas said:

@TimboJones said: No, actually. He got banned for posting FOUR memes in a single thread!

Call it as it is Timbo. He got banned for using memes to make fun of others. He was being a dick (that is a rule).

"Being a dick" is probably the worst ambiguous rule of them all. It really is subjective, and the more of a snowflake one is, the more they'll take everything as "being a dick". cough cough

• nekki would have appreciated this thread

• @Not_Oles said:
    @TimboJones

Please don't refer to @Arkas or any other member using disrespectful, negative language. It's okay to have opinions. It's not okay to express your opinions so negatively. "Hissy fit" is especially negative given it's etymology and the history of that term here on LET related to the present context.

You must be new here.

• @Not_Oles said:
    @TimboJones

I really appreciate your support of LET. Thank you! I have seen helpful and interesting comments you have posted. I would regret seeing your negative comments cause a ban, thereby depriving LET of your helpful and interesting comments. Please stop the negativity. Please stop the direct attacks on other members and moderators using disrespectful, negative language.

I didnt say either but was warned ..? and you deleted my post that was same as what you guys post

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@neverain said: I didnt say either but was warned ..? and you deleted my post that was same as what you guys post

Hi @neverain! You got warned twice. Once for spamming. I don't know who did that warning. The second warning was for the capital letter sequence goading @Arkas. That second warning was from me.

Your thread wasn't deleted. Instead it got moved to the Moderator Dump category. I didn't do that move. My post explaining my warning was in that thread which was moved to the dump.

I actually watched at the video you posted. I thought it was okay. Indeed somewhat the same as the videos @Arkas has posted but perhaps intended for new front end programmers instead of new Linux server users. I think, if you guys hadn't been pushing on @Arkas so much, your thread might not have been moved.

Please stop harassing moderators and/or other members in your threads. It's a loss to the forum community when your good content is contaminated by harassment. Best wishes!

• Since bans are being handed out like candy in this thread, may I get one too? If only because I wanted to see how a warning and a ban look like in Vanilla.

On the bright side, Arkas isn't posting videos with clickbaity "penis in woman's butt" videos, so hey...

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • @Not_Oles said:

@neverain said: I didnt say either but was warned ..? and you deleted my post that was same as what you guys post

Hi @neverain! You got warned twice. Once for spamming. I don't know who did that warning. The second warning was for the capital letter sequence goading @Arkas. That second warning was from me.

we're not allowed to use capital letters when addressing mods now?

• This video is disrespect towards this community. Implying that members are so lack in knowledge, that there is a real need for dedicated thread on SSH key pair creation and it is in video format.

Even WHT with all it's glorious pile of moderators didn't do that...

Thanked by 3martheen SLMob Marx
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@LTniger said: his video is disrespect towards this community.

You are being disrespectful to the community. You are not the community. There are many newer members who don't post because of the toxic environment members that are very hostile to people with lesser knowledge create.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@stevewatson301 said: Since bans are being handed out like candy in this thread

I'm aware of 1 ban. Do you have any information that I don't have?

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@Not_Oles said:
    @jmgcaguicla Your memes are really wrecking any possibility of discussion. You've done it four times in just this thread! Please take four days off. Please come back after the four days and help us by making substantive and helpful contributions to our discussions. Thanks and best wishes!

Are we banning people for posting memes now? I think a ban like that is even more offensive than memes that caused it.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@exception0x876 said: Are we banning people for posting memes now? I think a ban like that is even more offensive than memes that caused it.

"We" are banning people for making fun of others. No one makes fun of no one else, period. There is no discussion about it.

• @Arkas said:

@jugganuts said: Pointless spam to drive clicks and seo...

This is your last warning to stop calling my posts spam. It's fine If you don't like them, but do NOT cross the line again.

We are threatening to ban people, because they dislike such content and see it as spam?

Aren't we allowed to call posts/threads spam anymore, as one must fear of getting banned?
    Seriously, dog shit show

But it's okay to say that these "multiple" video threads are meaningless and "unsolicited" in the eyes of a "large number of recipients" from one's perspective, isn't it? ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spamming )

Sorry, but toughen up a little. Would be better for you and many others as well

Thanked by 2martheen TimboJones
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@Pilzbaum said: Sorry, but toughen up a little. Would be better for you and many others as well

I don't need advice from you. I need you to follow the rules and the interpretation of the rules as the staff see fit. No one has threatened you with anything. We are asking that you respect the threads created by others, just as we respected your thread about LET moderation. It's that simple. Has anyone interfered in your thread and completely messed it up? Do you not think it would have been easy for us to do that?
    Think about it for a minute. Take a deep breath and think about it. :smile: