Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unity returns to Ubuntu
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Unity returns to Ubuntu

ArkasArkas Moderator
edited September 2022 in News

For those that loved Unity, well it's coming back as an official flavor!

https://9to5linux.com/canonical-accepts-ubuntu-unity-as-official-ubuntu-flavor-starting-with-ubuntu-22-10

Thanked by 1angstrom

Comments

• @Arkas said:
    For those that loved Unity, well it's coming back as an official flavor!

It's nice to see this (even if my personal preference is Ubuntu MATE) :)

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Ubuntu is the worst pile of shit you could install since it forces you to use snap.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@Neoon said: Ubuntu is the worst pile of shit you could install since it forces you to use snap.

I agree that is a bad direction they have chosen, but the reaction from the community has been so negative, that it's not too late for them to change.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

XFCE master race.

@Arkas said:

@Neoon said: Ubuntu is the worst pile of shit you could install since it forces you to use snap.

I agree that is a bad direction they have chosen, but the reaction from the community has been so negative, that it's not too late for them to change.

Its like Windows on Linux, which forces you to install updates.
    Everything inside the snap shit has a performance loss too.

baaaaaaa

And if that's not enough, on desktop, you get messages, where it does "threaten" you and counts down, until it forcefully updates the application.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@MannDude said: XFCE master race.

I'm a KDE guy myself. I outgrew XFCE after a LONG time :smile:

Thanked by 1pike
  • It will fail due to bad support.

• Thanked by 3Arkas vyas11 tjn
  • @Neoon said: Its like Windows on Linux, which forces you to install updates.

Good [diety] it is. Speaking as one who was stung by https://www.theregister.com/2022/08/30/ubuntu_systemd_dns_update/ on a couple of VMs the other morning because someone in infrastructure had let unattended-update get enabled in on production VMs to clear a marker on their Azure security recommendations dashboard…

• @Neoon said:

use option --classic --dangerous. no more updates.

I fixed it for you.

• Speaking for myself only:

I like user interface designs that make it easy for users to explore and find the features and other elements of the product. User interfaces that hide elements and rely on "type 'n' search" are not good for beginners.

For that reason, I have been disappointed with Ubuntu's user interface design ever since Unity appeared a long time ago. I always wondered how much usability research was done before Canonical made the decision to deploy it.

If I must use desktop Ubuntu, I prefer the Mint version with its menus.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@emg said: If I must use desktop Ubuntu, I prefer the Mint version with its menus.

You prefer Linux Mint or Ubuntu with Cinnamon?

• @Arkas said:

You prefer Linux Mint or Ubuntu with Cinnamon?

Oops. That was a typo. I meant "Ubuntu MATE". Sorry about that.

I looked at Cinnamon a few years ago, but settled on MATE.

edited September 2022

@mosquitoguy said:

@Neoon said:

use option --classic --dangerous. no more updates.

I fixed it for you.

Not every package supports that, as far as I know.
    Some packages can only be installed with --classic and likely vice versa.

• Speaking of lowend
    If you had like 1Ghz single core or 1Ghz dual core cpu but at same time decent amount of ram ~4GB+
    So every cpu cycle is sort of important, which of current linux graphical desktop environments is recommended?
    Back in time it was like lxde > xfce > gnome > kde
    Now I see there are many new players

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited September 2022

@borowsky said: Back in time it was like lxde > xfce > gnome > kde

With the specs you gave, I'd use either LXQt, LXDE and maybe XFCE. Obviously (in my opinion) XFCE is the best out of those, but with a single or dual core with such low specs, even the 4GB of RAM wont allow you to comfortably use a more complex DE

P.S. KDE is now MUCH lighter than Gnome, in some cases it is as light as XFCE.

Thanked by 1borowsky
  • @Arkas said:

@borowsky said: Back in time it was like lxde > xfce > gnome > kde

With the specs you gave, I'd use either LXQt, LXDE and maybe XFCE. Obviously (in my opinion) XFCE is the best out of those, but with a single or dual core with such low specs, even the 4GB of RAM wont allow you to comfortably use a more complex DE

P.S. KDE is now MUCH lighter than Gnome, in some cases it is as light as XFCE.

Stock ZorinOs lite (XFCE) should work well out of the box. For those specs I would even consider Bodhi Linux (enlightenment) or Sparky (nearly stock Debian). Or Lubuntu (LXQT).

Fir further reading, something like this post maybe.

https://www.tecmint.com/lightweight-linux-desktop-environments/

The disk makes a huge difference. On my 2007 Dell latitude, 2 GB DDR2/ 1.6 ghz Core2, replacement the HDD with a SATA SSD resulted in huge speed improvement.

KDE indeed is very light these days, abt 550-600 mb idling is wht I typically read.

• vsys_hostvsys_host Member, Patron Provider

Cool! Sounds very promising. We will follow the updates with great interest, especially after such a long break!

• GNOME is find

• @Neoon said:
    Ubuntu is the worst pile of shit you could install since it forces you to use snap.

You know you can actually disable snap right?

• Good find, unity is gold but it uses too much memory in my experience, probably because I own lowendpc :D

For now I'm using lubuntu 20.04, works great.

@serv_ee said:

@Neoon said:

You know that some developers decided to ship the software only with snap right?

• @Neoon said:

@serv_ee said:

@Neoon said:

You know that some developers decided to ship the software only with snap right?

Yes, for example chromium only available as snap package. To get around this, I have to install mint version.

• serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited September 2022

@Neoon said:

@serv_ee said:

@Neoon said:

You know you can just add more repos which don't use snap right?

Don't get me wrong. I gave up on Ubuntu since 16.x but I find it kinda weird to complain about something you can avoid.

@serv_ee said:

@Neoon said:

@serv_ee said:

@Neoon said:

Yes, going to install Bloatbuntu with Debian repo, just to use packages that normally come without snap.

I rather cut the bloat and skip Ubuntu entirely, as you did, I should have this done long ago.
    Some developers even went full mental and ONLY ship their new version of software entirely with snap, even on Debian.

Thanked by 1serv_ee
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@Neoon said: Some developers even went full mental and ONLY ship their new version of software entirely with snap, even on Debian

That's just plain dumb.

@Arkas said:

@Neoon said: Some developers even went full mental and ONLY ship their new version of software entirely with snap, even on Debian

That's just plain dumb.

Yes, plus you loose around 20% performance for just using snap.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • @Neoon said:

@serv_ee said:

@Neoon said:

@serv_ee said:

@Neoon said:

Yes, going to install Bloatbuntu with Debian repo, just to use packages that normally come without snap.

I rather cut the bloat and skip Ubuntu entirely, as you did, I should have this done long ago.
    Some developers even went full mental and ONLY ship their new version of software entirely with snap, even on Debian.

Go with rpm distros and you should be fine. Haven't seen any of that crap on Suse yet.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@serv_ee said: Go with rpm distros and you should be fine. Haven't seen any of that crap on Suse yet.

$ sudo zypper addrepo --refresh \ https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/system:/snappy/openSUSE_Leap_15.3 \ snappy ... Repository 'snappy' successfully added

• serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited September 2022

@Arkas said:

@serv_ee said: Go with rpm distros and you should be fine. Haven't seen any of that crap on Suse yet.

$ sudo zypper addrepo --refresh \ https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/system:/snappy/openSUSE_Leap_15.3 \ snappy ... Repository 'snappy' successfully added

Yeah you can add it if you want. But it's not there nor is it forced upon you.

Only big downfall for Suse is their stupid obsession with codecs.