Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is Your Web Stack in 2022? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is Your Web Stack in 2022?

2»

Comments

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

Also re: JSON in PG. It's not the best experience. It's definitely possible but the queries you end up having to write are ridiculous and a lot of operations are just super complex especially when it comes to arrays and things like that. If you need to store some JSON toss it into DynamoDB.

Thanked by 2raindog308 lanefu
  • @raindog308 said: What is your web stack in 2022?

C, for 11 years already.
    And i fucking hate it.
    I doubt that i know C, but every single day i proof myself, that i have no clue about C.

Reading and debugging C# .NET leaves on my face a sad smile...
    Because this is how the code suppose to be written. 1 command - 1 job done.

Surprised to see on LET a lot of .NET coders.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Hxxx said: @Cabbage Node is perfectly fine. It depends on your experience and how long you have been a developer.

For example if you have been programming before NodeJS was even a thing, there has always been this idea of JavaScript only being frontend. I'm confident that some might consider a sin that JavaScript is now used in the backend too.

I genuinely do not see the benefits of NodeJS other than you can use JavaScript, though you also need to learn NodeJS specifics. Maybe if I was 18 and knew nothing, it would be more attractive but if you already know backend langs, I don't know what benefit NodeJS provides.

Whether JS is good for the backend is a choice - there are certainly benefits (the ecosystem for one), though the choice has negatives as well (e.g., some would prefer a language with stronger typing).

@Alles said: Rails

Is Rails still a thing?

@Hassan said: Serverless Node with AWS is a really nice dev experience but doesn't fit every use case.

Alas, not for this.

@Hassan said: I personally hate dealing with SqlAlchemy

Oddly, I don't care for it either. It's like reading the Java standard library or something.

@desperand said: C, for 11 years already.

You're writing code for the web in C? Even 11 years ago that would have been weird.

@desperand said: Reading and debugging C# .NET leaves on my face a sad smile... Because this is how the code suppose to be written. 1 command - 1 job done.

You're contrasting two very different things (C vs C#).

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • @raindog308 said:

@Alles said: Rails

Is Rails still a thing?

Not really anymore. Like Rails is still being heavily develop, at the head of the race in features, but for the broader programming community it's basically death. Still, it's a great framework if you want something up and running yesterday.

I ended up starting with React and React Bootstrap. I forgot I did a project once with Handlebars and bought a shirt I liked it so much, so those three are probably going to be the core of my front end, with the usual litter of modules.

I looked at TailwindCSS and it looks very nice but React BS was easier to start with.

Still debating Golang or Python for the back end.

@Hassan said: Also re: JSON in PG. It's not the best experience.

@joepie91 lied to me!

• quanhua92quanhua92 Member
    edited September 2022

@raindog308 said:
    I ended up starting with React and React Bootstrap.

As you have tried React, take a look at Next.js. Take advantage of the static site generation or server-side rendering, incremental static regeneration. You can choose different strategies for each route.
    You can have completed the front-end and back-end in 1 codebase. You can just upload to GitHub and deploy to Vercel automatically. Can be self-hosted as a normal node.js server too.

• Python 🐍
    Flask
    FastAPI
    SQLalchemy for quick apps.

SQLite for most data processing and single user or lightweight apps.
    PostgreSQL for when the data gets more complicated and more transactions happening.

Bootstrap & water.css depending on the use case.
    Datatables & tabulator for data stuffs on the front end.

Admirer for when I need more sql powers.

Most of what I need doesn’t need JavaScript outside of some asynchronous data updates. I try to get Python to render as much of the user experience as possible.

All this gets wrapped into a container and shipped to the cloud.

• Anyone playing with htmx?

• @LTniger said:
    Anyone playing with htmx?

I think you’re ahead of the curve here. Most folks on LET like to use older, well-established tools and frameworks.

• I just use Codeigniter, MariaDB and Redis with bulma.io CSS and pure Javascript... it works ;)

• @stevewatson301 said:

@LTniger said:

I think you’re ahead of the curve here. Most folks on LET like to use older, well-established tools and frameworks.

I'am still stuck and suck with Fat free framework, jQuery and bootstrap. Trying to adopt something new.

• @raindog308 said:
    Still debating Golang or Python for the back end.

If you’re considering Go then it may be worth looking into Rust.

• Node.js in the backend, MySQL or Postgres or Redis for the DB and React for the frontend (or Vanilla JS if the project is small)

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited September 2022

Don't believe the hype... Just learn and master a front-end set of tools and a back-end set of tools. That's it. Make money with it. Don't stay in a loop forever. If you do... you will never be an expert in anything.

Of course ... don't get stuck either with legacy stuff.

Balance is key.

A way to establish goals is to see what the companies are looking for in your area and compare the pay rate. Some languages do pay more...

Then you will find the rare cases...
    For example, Cobol an extinct language... yet a lot of the bank infra still run with it. Those jobs tend to pay way higher...

What I refer to with "don't believe the hype"...
    The language doesn't make the developer. Your experience and analytical skills are not something a language will give you. That's something you learn by pure effort and practice.

There is a new language / stack like... every week or so...

Accept that you will never catch up to the latest trend in real-time.

__> @nfn said: I just use Codeigniter, MariaDB and Redis with bulma.io CSS and pure Javascript... it works

I've used Codeigniter in the past and enjoyed it, but it seems to me that Laravel has taken over the PHP frameworks space.

@Hxxx said: For example, Cobol an extinct language... yet a lot of the bank infra still run with it. Those jobs tend to pay way higher...

The trick with COBOL is that it's not the language per se. If you know some langs, you can learn COBOL in an afternoon. If you don't know the mainframe OS, though, that's a lot bigger runway because then you're into learning all the concepts, utilities, picking and learning an editor, the dev toolchain, etc. It's the mainframe environment that is the big hurdle for people.

• @raindog308 said:

@desperand said: C, for 11 years already.

You're writing code for the web in C? Even 11 years ago that would have been weird.

I don't know about him, but I'm writing my REST API for my project in C++.

Mostly because I'm already very familiar with it (90% of my day job for the last 15 years is writing C++) and the business logic is pretty simple so it doesn't matter hugely whether I write it in C++ or anything else. Compiling this heavily templated code is a bit slow (most times around 5-10 seconds, but a full recompile is about a minute) but due to the instant start-up it's probably much the same for iterative development as anything else.

• @LTniger said:

Have heard of it, not used yet. For what I understand it's like a simplefied version of Hotwire, and relies on browser apis so that's nice.

@LTniger said:
    I'am still stuck and suck with Fat free framework, jQuery and bootstrap. Trying to adopt something new.

You should try Svelte if you want to test something new, it's a beautiful experience, unless you dislike magic then you should try Solidjs. React is not worth if you are not trying to find a job, it's heavy, slow and a mess to write in.