Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Self-hosted VPN recommendation? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Self-hosted VPN recommendation?

2»

Comments

• @mosquitoguy said:

@martheen said:
    Depends on how one deploys it I guess? With Pivpn, Nyr, and Angristan it just works™, I give them the conf or QR code, and once they connect the internal resources are available without further ado on my part.

Those are scripts that do all the work for you. Install wireguard manually and all you get is an interface with no routing.

Install OpenVPN community manually and all you get is an interface with no routing.

In both cases you need a config file, not sure how you can stand your argument.

• The fact that you believe this:

@mosquitoguy said: The universe made everyone equal

completely rules out

@mosquitoguy said: I'm just as smart as you.

• @martheen said:
    Depends on how one deploys it I guess? With Pivpn, Nyr, and Angristan it just works™, I give them the conf or QR code, and once they connect the internal resources are available without further ado on my part.

-> Can someone explain the differences between Pivpn, Nyr, and Angristan and how to select the best fit for a given person's requirements?

For others, here are some helpful links that I found:

Angristan:
    https://github.com/angristan
    https://github.com/angristan/wireguard-install
    https://github.com/angristan/openvpn-install

Pivpn:
    https://pivpn.io

Nor:
    https://github.com/Nyr
    https://github.com/Nyr/wireguard-install
    https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install

• @imyuno said:
    Install OpenVPN community manually and all you get is an interface with no routing.
    In both cases you need a config file, not sure how you can stand your argument.

Not true. OpenVPN automatically creates a default route, and while you can dictate routing in OpenVPN's config file, the execution is done by OpenVPN itself (the same config file works on both linux and windows). With Wireguard you actually have to specify external binaries specific to the platform (e.g. "iptables"). The wireguard config file is just an adhoc platform-specific script.

• @skorous said:
    The fact that you believe this:

@mosquitoguy said: The universe made everyone equal

I don't believe that-- which is why @TimboJones called me racist, which is not inaccurate. But a lot of people do, especially Europeans. They believe people evolved equally and a dead universe imbued people with universal rights. :D

• @mosquitoguy said: m surprised with all the wireguard comments. It's a tunneling software not a VPN.

From wireguard.com:

WireGuard® is an extremely simple yet fast and modern VPN that utilizes state-of-the-art cryptography. It aims to be faster, simpler, leaner, and more useful than IPsec, while avoiding the massive headache. It intends to be considerably more performant than OpenVPN. WireGuard is designed as a general purpose VPN for running on embedded interfaces and super computers alike, fit for many different circumstances. Initially released for the Linux kernel, it is now cross-platform (Windows, macOS, BSD, iOS, Android) and widely deployable. It is currently under heavy development, but already it might be regarded as the most secure, easiest to use, and simplest VPN solution in the industry.

Not one mention of tunnels, it refers to itself and its intent as VPN software. The fact that you get no routing without writing it into your configuration is just virtue of how flexible it is and the variety of use-cases you can use it for.

The utility used to establish these setups is wg-quick which is shipped as part of the WireGuard package essentially everywhere it is available and is an official part of the wireguard-tools repository, which also contains crucial binaries like wg itself. This official tool allows creating and utilising WireGuard configuration files to set up routes and other such data for the WireGuard interface.

The reason WireGuard is given as an answer to these questions is because if you use any one of the scripts available (Which are almost always cited alongside the WG recommendations) the process is as simple as providing values and having it spit out a working configuration file that works in the official WireGuard apps for a variety of platforms without alteration or further configuration. This is the same experience as other VPN software (a WG .conf can be imported just as easily as a .ovpn into its appropriate app), and thus it is a valid answer to this question.

• @mosquitoguy said:

@TimboJones said:
    No, @mosquitoguy doesn't have a clue.

Still sour from the last time I destroyed your arguments? Cheer up. :) The universe made everyone equal so I'm just as smart as you.

Dude, you're mixing up Linux (add your own up/down/routes script) and Windows (no manual routes needed to be added by user), which is why people are laughing at you and why I said you don't have a clue.

You're speaking on things you don't know about. And doubling down.

• @TimboJones I met not just few people very confident talking about things they don't know, and it's always a good experience hearing from them, very funny

• @emg said: the best fit for a given person's requirements?

Angristan's OpenVPN borked up on the Ubuntu 22.04 due to EasyRSA and OpenSSL, dunno if it's already fixed. I also remember Nyr's OpenVPN not working out of the box on OpenVZ with Ubuntu 16.04 but a single-line fix is enough, and probably no longer relevant today. A long time ago when I tested PiVPN it doesn't automatically tunnel IPv6 (if the server has IPv6 but the client doesn't), not sure it that's still the case.

I'd say PiVPN is the more user-friendly one, but it's the tiny difference between running an installed command to update the server config vs re-running an already downloaded script, so it's a really small niche (perhaps setting up the server for someone else?)

• @TimboJones said:
    Dude, you're mixing up Linux (add your own up/down/routes script) and Windows (no manual routes needed to be added by user), which is why people are laughing at you and why I said you don't have a clue.

I didn't mix up anything. What I said was accurate, and you confirmed it by your own statement. If I create a wireguard config file for linux, you can't use that same config file for windows. Not true for openvpn.

• @mosquitoguy said:

@TimboJones said:

I didn't mix up anything. What I said was accurate, and you confirmed it by your own statement. If I create a wireguard config file for linux, you can't use that same config file for windows. Not true for openvpn.

No, there's one wireguard client config, you can import it on Android or Windows.

At best, you're confusing that you need to regenerate the config file to add additional users later on. That's where services like Zerotier handle that better.

Thanked by 1martheen