Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Self-hosted VPN recommendation?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Self-hosted VPN recommendation?

Which VPN you guys recommend as self-hosted?

Something easy to set-up, clients for windows and android.

For personal usage only.

Thanked by 1Logano

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
  • ManishPantManishPant Member, Host Rep

As recommended wireguard and use Nyr script for easy install

• I recommend using both Wireguard and OpenVPN servers on your self-hosted server, as Wireguard is faster, but some remote sites block UDP traffic. If you setup OpenVPN on TCP port 443, you can get around most restricted firewalls. Nyr has easy to use scripts for setting up both.

• tailscale,Foolproof VPN configuration, based on wireguard.

If you are more focused on breaking network censorship and UDP blocking, you should try Trojan-Go, a TCP-TLS-based traffic disguise that can even be combined with a CDN.

Thanked by 2imyuno weir1
  • pihole + pivpn wireguard

• chipchip Member

Nyrs wireguard script... ive also setup pihole... its blocking loads of tracking sites

Thanked by 1dotcomUNDERGROUND
  • WG made with Nyr warrior script.

• edited August 2022

Is there a reason not to just use an SSH tunnel since it is basically built into every OS now?

• If you're into Docker wg-easy is the way to go with Wireguard. Give it a full on management GUI.

Thanked by 1dotcomUNDERGROUND
  • i personally prefer strongswan.org

• cpsdcpsd Member

I am using this week softether, have you heard about it?

• @TimRoo said:
    If you're into Docker wg-easy is the way to go with Wireguard. Give it a full on management GUI.

Thanks!

Thanked by 1TimRoo
  • ZeroTier

• iCodexiCodex Member
    edited August 2022

ocserv serves with port 8443, uses the cisco anyconnect client on multiple platforms.

• Also a tailscale fan, easy setup (linux/win/android for me) and communication between my devices regardless if behind NAT or not. Supports exit node configuration with one click if you want to route a peer traffic's through another node. Used zerotier for this in the past but switched to tailscale because of the wireguard protocol (and frankly better UI for both web and clients).

Alternatively nyr's OpenVPN and Wireguard scripts are also solid, both used in the past. OpenVPN access server also is very easy to setup and provides a Web UI, however there is a client limit on the free version.

Thanked by 1lala_th
  • @johnnyquestion said:
    Is there a reason not to just use an SSH tunnel since it is basically built into every OS now?

DNS

• zcorpszcorps Member
    edited August 2022

what about outline vpn , it seems good too. wireguard have voice calls dropping issues reported to me by my friend in UAE

https://getoutline.org/

Thanked by 1iqbal
  • I would recommend Google Outline, which is based on Shadowcks, has very easy-to-use Windows and Android apps.

• Why would you want a self-hosted VPN?

• sirmbhesirmbhe Member
    edited August 2022

As others mentioned, tailscale or wireguard. Easy and really fast.

• Easy to set up and your ISP doesn't care about VPN? pivpn.io, you get WireGuard and OpenVPN in one package. Even with how hot WireGuard is right now there are situations where WireGuard doesn't work and it would be nice to have a backup. If you prefer a simpler flow, both Angristan and Nyr have OpenVPN and WireGuard script that works great.

Is your ISP trying to block VPNs? Outline VPN is very simple to set up and deploy, but it doesn't actually provide you a way to access internal resources remotely or connect between clients.

Tailscale and ZeroTier are relatively simple if your use case is about accessing internal resources or connecting devices in separate networks, plus it works even with CGNAT and restrictive ISP.

SoftEther is a bit of oddball. The server is actually simpler to setup on Windows than on Linux, while it doesn't have a good client on Android, it can use other protocols like OpenVPN or L2TP so any OpenVPN client or built-in VPN client on all mainstream OS will do.

Thanked by 1Logano
  • emgemg Veteran

@SirFoxy said:
    Why would you want a self-hosted VPN?

So you can sign up for alt accounts to shill your lowdown hosting services without being detected by LowEndTalk admins and moderators.

You gotta keep track of which VPNs you use for which alt accounts and which alt accounts are shilling for which lowdown hosting services. One mismatch and you're dox'd. :-(

• @martheen said:
    SoftEther is a bit of oddball. The server is actually simpler to setup on Windows than on Linux, while it doesn't have a good client on Android, it can use other protocols like OpenVPN or L2TP so any OpenVPN client or built-in VPN client on all mainstream OS will do.

SoftEther also supports SSTP that's built into windows. I'm surprised with all the wireguard comments. It's a tunneling software not a VPN. It's a VPN only after you've setup all the routes manually, which typical PC users won't know how to do, whereas they can drag/drop an .ovpn file and get things running quickly and easily.

• @johnnyquestion said:

Not same. SSH tunnel is more similar to SOCKS5 proxy than to VPN.

• @mosquitoguy said: It's a VPN only after you've setup all the routes manually, which typical PC users won't know how to do

I'm using Wireguard and I have no ideas what you're talking about.

I only need to get the wireguard config file or copy the configuration from Wireguard server to put into Wireguard client on Windows

Thanked by 2TimRoo Erisa
  • martheenmartheen Member
    edited August 2022

@mosquitoguy said: It's a VPN only after you've setup all the routes manually

Depends on how one deploys it I guess? With Pivpn, Nyr, and Angristan it just works™, I give them the conf or QR code, and once they connect the internal resources are available without further ado on my part.

• @martheen said:

@mosquitoguy said: It's a VPN only after you've setup all the routes manually

Depends on how one deploys it I guess? With Pivpn, Nyr, and Angristan it just works™, I give them the conf or QR code, and once they connect the internal resources are available without further ado on my part.

No, @mosquitoguy doesn't have a clue.

• @martheen said:

Those are scripts that do all the work for you. Install wireguard manually and all you get is an interface with no routing.

• @TimboJones said:
    No, @mosquitoguy doesn't have a clue.

Still sour from the last time I destroyed your arguments? Cheer up. :) The universe made everyone equal so I'm just as smart as you.