Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Building Dedicated Server home in India - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Building Dedicated Server home in India

2»

Comments

• OP didn't consider the overhead in India. Just wanted to have a simply
    garage datacenter. @hiwebtips you should abandon this idea, friendly advice.

• This will be a ...* cough * ... good learning experience.

Hell is other people. -someone

• @Daniel15 said:
    How much RAM and disk space do you need?

Have you considered using a VPS instead of a dedicated server? DigitalOcean have servers in Bangalore, and HostNamaste, Vultr, PhotonVPS, AWS Lightsail and probably others have servers in Mumbai. Some of them only have SATA SSDs though, not NVMe SSDs.

Not considering Digital Ocean. AWS and GCP doesn't allow email service to their any servers. I have some premium users who don't mind to pay more, they just need good speed. 6 CPU + 32 GB + 1 TB NVMe + 1.5 TB Bandwidth

• @luckypenguin said:
    OP didn't consider the overhead in India. Just wanted to have a simply
    garage datacenter. @hiwebtips you should abandon this idea, friendly advice.

Point to be noted.

• Well, We have setup the server and load balancer is working fine. I have 2 100Mbps connection and I am getting approx 150Mbps with the loadbalancer.

I have installed CWP with Apache + Nginx installed few wordpress and few own projects.

We will monitor these for a month how it works.

Well, we are not entirely thinking for production. We will check all the possibilities and drawbacks for at-least a year then decide the next move.

Thank you so much for your wishes and concerns. Let's see what really happen.

• @hiwebtips said:
    Well, We have setup the server and load balancer is working fine. I have 2 100Mbps connection and I am getting approx 150Mbps with the loadbalancer.

I have installed CWP with Apache + Nginx installed few wordpress and few own projects.

Well, we are not entirely thinking for production. We will check all the possibilities and drawbacks for at-least a year then decide the next move.

Is ports open for default or did they open it

• @vimalware said:
    This will be a ...* cough * ... good learning experience.

Sometimes the journey is more exciting than the destination.

• @hiwebtips said:
    Well, We have setup the server and load balancer is working fine. I have 2 100Mbps connection and I am getting approx 150Mbps with the loadbalancer.

Sounds very interesting. Is it possible to document what you have done so far? Like writing a blog post or something?

• @hiwebtips said: I have 2 100Mbps connection and I am getting approx 150Mbps with the loadbalancer.

Amazing if it's costing you $15/month and the ISP knows you want to use this for "commercial" purposes.

• @cadddr said: Amazing if it's costing you $15/month

It is costing him

1) ISP - 15USD to 30USD
    2) Electricity - 30USD+

Approx - 50USD+ without the hardware cost

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

@imgmoney said:

@cadddr said: Amazing if it's costing you $15/month

It is costing him

1) ISP - 15USD to 30USD
    2) Electricity - 30USD+

And you can Colocate at a similar cost 😃

• @leapswitch said: And you can Colocate at a similar cost 😃

Or get the Same Specs from Hetzner for just 40Euro (use CF for CDN) and have less headache.

Or use CloudJiffy with an India location.

• Isn't India well know for power outages and hosting this at home is just asking for problems? :D

• imgmoneyimgmoney Member
    edited August 2022

@JabJab said: Isn't India well know for power outages and hosting this at home is just asking for problems?

He can add power backup for 24 hours, which will cost him another 70K+ INR (for the whole house).

• @hiwebtips said: I have some premium users who don't mind to pay more, they just need good speed

Just a few questions about those premium users

1) don't they mind redundancy? as I don't see RAID on your setup

2) why would they choose you when they don't mind paying more?

• imgmoneyimgmoney Member
    edited August 2022

@hiwebtips said: I have 2 100Mbps connection and I am getting approx 150Mbps with the loadbalancer.

3) how are you getting 150Mbps when you have only 2x 100Mbps as the load balancer will only load balance the traffic and not combine the traffic? So you will get a max of 100Mbps during one connection.

can you share the link to the load balancer device you are referring to?

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

And what about the IP thing, I assume you have airtel + Jio, how you are doing it ?

• @weir1 said:

@hiwebtips said:

Is ports open for default or did they open it

Opened for default.

• @vyas11 said:

@vimalware said:
    This will be a ...* cough * ... good learning experience.

Sometimes the journey is more exciting than the destination.

Indeed!! Thank you.

• @cadddr said:

@hiwebtips said: I have 2 100Mbps connection and I am getting approx 150Mbps with the loadbalancer.

Amazing if it's costing you $15/month and the ISP knows you want to use this for "commercial" purposes.

I already get the connection with my GST ID, they know it is for business use, not for personal. However the local reseller is known to me and he is very helpful.

• @imgmoney said:

It is costing him

1) ISP - 15USD to 30USD
    2) Electricity - 30USD+

Are you sure people who gave you 100Mbps connection with a server is dedicated to that server? I think they use it for multiple machines.

Will update Electricity bill after a month.

• @dosai said:

@hiwebtips said:

Sounds very interesting. Is it possible to document what you have done so far? Like writing a blog post or something?

I don't know about blog but will update here about the failure and success.

Thanked by 1dosai
  • @leapswitch said:

@imgmoney said:

It is costing him

1) ISP - 15USD to 30USD
    2) Electricity - 30USD+

And you can Colocate at a similar cost 😃

Yes I know, but it is not possible in India though.

• @imgmoney said:

@leapswitch said: And you can Colocate at a similar cost 😃

Or get the Same Specs from Hetzner for just 40Euro (use CF for CDN) and have less headache.

Or use CloudJiffy with an India location.

I just want to try a home server. This will be more fun and interesting for sure. I have servers with others also.

• @JabJab said:
    Isn't India well know for power outages and hosting this at home is just asking for problems? :D

That is true indeed, but things is better in here. I have solar power and inverter on my home.

• ralfralf Member

@hiwebtips said:
    I just want to try a home server. This will be more fun and interesting for sure. I have servers with others also.

This seems pretty fair and he seems to be enjoying doing it.

Thanked by 1hiwebtips
  • @imgmoney said:

@JabJab said: Isn't India well know for power outages and hosting this at home is just asking for problems?

He can add power backup for 24 hours, which will cost him another 70K+ INR (for the whole house).

The setup I made can consume maximum 350 watt per hour. Mean 24 hours 8.5 Kw. Which costs is ₹2050 per month ($27).

However let me see what happen, I can update with more exact figures after a month.

• @imgmoney said:

@hiwebtips said: I have some premium users who don't mind to pay more, they just need good speed

Just a few questions about those premium users

1) don't they mind redundancy? as I don't see RAID on your setup

2) why would they choose you when they don't mind paying more?

The premium users are already in a good server, not the best but workable. They didn't complain, but I am not satisfied myself. I was looking for a well performed server.

1) This is a test server, not for production so RAID is not required for now.
    2) I have build a trust among them. I also think I can deliver what they want too. That's it. But if you are thinking about the home server, no way, it is not for production.

• @imgmoney said:

3) how are you getting 150Mbps when you have only 2x 100Mbps as the load balancer will only load balance the traffic and not combine the traffic? So you will get a max of 100Mbps during one connection.

can you share the link to the load balancer device you are referring to?

3) I don't know how it happened. This surprised me too. This is the device: https://www.amazon.in/TP-Link-TL-R480T-Balance-Broadband-Router/dp/B08MH4VLR3/

• @Saahib said:
    And what about the IP thing, I assume you have airtel + Jio, how you are doing it ?

We got only one dedicated IP for a connection. Not Airtel and JIO. It is a local provider.
    However, if you get reseller from the company, you will get /27 IPs mean 32 and it could be increased when required. But that will be extra setup cost of around 80k.