Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Building Dedicated Server home in India
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Building Dedicated Server home in India

Hi,
Due to a lot of trouble I decided to build a server in my home for testing purpose.
For few days I was looking for a dedicated server for my all clients (I am still looking for it). WebWerks gave me an estimation of ₹17500/month (approx $220/month) for
E526xx v2 2x4 CPU,
32 GB DDR4 RAM (Non ECC),
2x 960 GB SSD SATA
1TB 100Mbps

The whole hardware setup cost will be approx $300, but they are charging $220/month. I was shocked by checking their price! I think these guys are looting Indian people as the infrastructure is not well built. Almost no one provide NVMe SSDs. I talk to many provider such as webwerks, serverwala etc (serverwala price seems competitive when you pay for a year, but no NVMe, I was ready to pay extra for that but no help.)

So I decided to built a test server in my home and host websites on it. (This is for testing purpose not for production).

I ordered hardware from Amazon:
Ryzen 3600 (You can't believe guys, I got this for only ₹10800 or $135 (including GST)
ASUS Prime-B450M-A-II Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 3200MHZ UDIMM (Non ECC but good for testing)
Samsung EVO 870 1 TB SATA
Corsair CV450 450watt PSU
Cooler Master Hyper 410R
Corsair Carbide Series CC-9011050-WW
Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut High Performance Thermal Grease - 1g

These setup costs me aroung 40k ($500) including GST. I am GST registered so I will get 18% return on the price.

Besides all this, I orderd 2 100 Mbps connection (shared) and a network load balancer with firewall (TP-Link). The network from two different provider and a static IP which cost me approx $40 extra. For network monthly cost is approx $15. 2 x 100 Mbps upto 3.3 TB each. (Enough for testing purpose and shared hosting service)

So my whole setup cost is $550 and $15/month for this configuration. I didn't find any configuration like this, but I am sure any Indian provider will charge this for minimum $200/month.

I don't know networking. I am trying to understand and one of my friend helping me out on this. However, I have installed CWP sucessfully and installed WordPress which is working good.

The help I need, can you guys let me know how could I get more static IPs and add to the server?
I checked many websites are selling static IPs, If I buy them, how to configure them to my server?

Please enlighten me on this matter.

Thanks

«1

Comments

  • Why not get the dedicated server from Hetzner and use CF with Argo?

    I also see that you don't have redundancy in your Hard Drive. You have not added the electricity bill. I am sure it will also come around 15USD.

    Going with a Provider like Hetzner gives you a lot more benefits.

    1) free hardware replacement
    2) upgrade to new hardware anytime
    3) redundancy in power and network
    4) less maintenance on your end

  • @imgmoney said:
    Why not get the dedicated server from Hetzner and use CF with Argo?

    I also see that you don't have redundancy in your Hard Drive. You have not added the electricity bill. I am sure it will also come around 15USD.

    Going with a Provider like Hetzner gives you a lot more benefits.

    1) free hardware replacement
    2) upgrade to new hardware anytime
    3) redundancy in power and network
    4) less maintenance on your end

    Yes, the electricity bill comes around $20/month
    For Europe server Hetzner is good no doubt. But I need server in India.
    Can you help about more IPs? and how could I add them to my network?

  • Not as simple. Unless your ISP offers datacenter/colo services, they won't even know what
    you want with them. What you need is your own ASN and a minimum /24, then you need your
    ISP to announce them for you. 99% chances home ISPs won't do that.

    https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/architecture/internet-routing-and-traffic-engineering/

    Thanked by 1hiwebtips
  • @luckypenguin said:
    Not as simple. Unless your ISP offers datacenter/colo services, they won't even know what
    you want with them. What you need is your own ASN and a minimum /24, then you need your
    ISP to announce them for you. 99% chances home ISPs won't do that.

    https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/architecture/internet-routing-and-traffic-engineering/

    Thank you so much for your reply. I will look forward to it.

  • I'm not sure how this works in India, but on my current (and prior) ISP, a few support phone calls managed to land me a static block of v4's for an added monthly cost. I'd recommend contacting your ISP(s), and it certainly won't hurt to ask.

    Thanked by 2gzz hiwebtips
  • didtavdidtav Member

    @PineappleBox said:
    I'm not sure how this works in India, but on my current (and prior) ISP, a few support phone calls managed to land me a static block of v4's for an added monthly cost. I'd recommend contacting your ISP(s), and it certainly won't hurt to ask.

    actually it will, like when someone asked hosthatch about something, and they didn't like the question, they invoiced that person $5 and could be higher depending how much they're pissed. I believe it's somewhere in this forum too

  • @didtav said:

    @PineappleBox said:
    I'm not sure how this works in India, but on my current (and prior) ISP, a few support phone calls managed to land me a static block of v4's for an added monthly cost. I'd recommend contacting your ISP(s), and it certainly won't hurt to ask.

    actually it will, like when someone asked hosthatch about something, and they didn't like the question, they invoiced that person $5 and could be higher depending how much they're pissed. I believe it's somewhere in this forum too

    In India it would work differently. Open a ticket asking for something > no response for 3 months > “saar, are you still facing the issuu?” > close ticket.

  • @hiwebtips I don't know how you are getting a static IP from your ISP ( May i know the service provider, I think it's some local company) because big players like Airtel, JIO, Tata etc don't offer static IP under home user plan. You generally have to buy a dedicated line which cost around Rs 10000 + 18% GST Extra per month ($125) for a 100mbps port.

    Running your own network will be big headache and you need more money for getting an ASN , /24 IP block and 2 upstream provider .

    I would suggest you to buy the hardware and collocate the server which would be much better because running a home server will need more energy for Aircon and the hardware which will be more then $50 per month.

    You can try Ctrls , webwerks , Go4hosting etc for colocation service depending upon your requirement and budget.

    If you need help in collocating for Delhi region you can pm me . I know someone who can you help you out for cheap.

    Thanked by 2hiwebtips kkrajk
  • @PineappleBox said:
    I'm not sure how this works in India, but on my current (and prior) ISP, a few support phone calls managed to land me a static block of v4's for an added monthly cost. I'd recommend contacting your ISP(s), and it certainly won't hurt to ask.

    They provide 1 IP with one connection. However, I will ask again.
    I have checked there are many websites selling static IPs. How it works? I mean how to add those IPs to my server?

  • @didtav said:

    @PineappleBox said:
    I'm not sure how this works in India, but on my current (and prior) ISP, a few support phone calls managed to land me a static block of v4's for an added monthly cost. I'd recommend contacting your ISP(s), and it certainly won't hurt to ask.

    actually it will, like when someone asked hosthatch about something, and they didn't like the question, they invoiced that person $5 and could be higher depending how much they're pissed. I believe it's somewhere in this forum too

    haha. It is not possible in India. You can ignore the calls, but if you invoiced that person your customer gone!

  • @jmaxwell said:

    @didtav said:

    @PineappleBox said:
    I'm not sure how this works in India, but on my current (and prior) ISP, a few support phone calls managed to land me a static block of v4's for an added monthly cost. I'd recommend contacting your ISP(s), and it certainly won't hurt to ask.

    actually it will, like when someone asked hosthatch about something, and they didn't like the question, they invoiced that person $5 and could be higher depending how much they're pissed. I believe it's somewhere in this forum too

    In India it would work differently. Open a ticket asking for something > no response for 3 months > “saar, are you still facing the issuu?” > close ticket.

    Actually No. My Local ISPs reseller is very helpful. He personally give me a connection from the main line without any extra cost. The main line is 1.5 km away from my home. 1.5 km optical fiber cost is approx $200. I just told him that we want to build something and if we success we will buy more subscriptions. He didn't asked for the money and give me the connection same day!

  • lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

    If you're interested, TensorDock has some machines in India that we can hook up up with for CPU-only VMs.

    • $50/month: 4 vCPU + 30 GB RAM + 100 GB NVMe
    • $75/month: 12 vCPU + 30 GB RAM + 450 GB SATA SSD
    • $110/month: 16 vCPU + 32 GB RAM + 200 GB NVMe
  • @lentro said:
    If you're interested, TensorDock has some machines in India that we can hook up up with for CPU-only VMs.

    • $50/month: 4 vCPU + 30 GB RAM + 100 GB NVMe
    • $75/month: 12 vCPU + 30 GB RAM + 450 GB SATA SSD
    • $110/month: 16 vCPU + 32 GB RAM + 200 GB NVMe

    Hey lentro, package seems interesting may i know which CPU model you are using and how much bandwidth is included in it also any LG.

  • nvmenvme Member

    @ManishPant said: @hiwebtips I don't know how you are getting a static IP from your ISP ( May i know the service provider, I think it's some local company) because big players like Airtel, JIO, Tata etc don't offer static IP under home user plan. You generally have to buy a dedicated line which cost around Rs 10000 + 18% GST Extra per month ($125) for a 100mbps port.

    Airtel does offer static IP for 199 + GST per month, it used to be 99 couple of months back. JIO does offer static IPs as well, but you need to be on gigabit plan.

  • @ManishPant said:
    @hiwebtips I don't know how you are getting a static IP from your ISP ( May i know the service provider, I think it's some local company) because big players like Airtel, JIO, Tata etc don't offer static IP under home user plan. You generally have to buy a dedicated line which cost around Rs 10000 + 18% GST Extra per month ($125) for a 100mbps port.

    Running your own network will be big headache and you need more money for getting an ASN , /24 IP block and 2 upstream provider .

    I would suggest you to buy the hardware and collocate the server which would be much better because running a home server will need more energy for Aircon and the hardware which will be more then $50 per month.

    You can try Ctrls , webwerks , Go4hosting etc for colocation service depending upon your requirement and budget.

    If you need help in collocating for Delhi region you can pm me . I know someone who can you help you out for cheap.

    ₹10000 for 100Mbps dedicated line? I asked JIO, Airtel about it and they told me ₹6 Lakh per annum and a setup cost will be ₹1.5 L.
    I got the line from local provider. He is very helpful. I am using their servcie for more than 6 years now. I know personally the person and he told me if it is in his hand (IPv4) he will surely give me a IP block. I know it is a headache to manage. But I collaborate with few of my friends of collage one of them works on networking. We are just trying to check how it goes..

    I never give a thought about colocation. Thanks for the suggestion. I will send a PM.

    CTRLS, WEBWERKS both price are huge. Check my thread how much they are asking. I actually don't trust those people who don't show price on their website.

    I will send a PM. Thanks

  • @lentro said:
    If you're interested, TensorDock has some machines in India that we can hook up up with for CPU-only VMs.

    • $50/month: 4 vCPU + 30 GB RAM + 100 GB NVMe
    • $75/month: 12 vCPU + 30 GB RAM + 450 GB SATA SSD
    • $110/month: 16 vCPU + 32 GB RAM + 200 GB NVMe

    Wow! Its look great! I will drop a PM to you about my requirements.

  • @nvme said:

    @ManishPant said: @hiwebtips I don't know how you are getting a static IP from your ISP ( May i know the service provider, I think it's some local company) because big players like Airtel, JIO, Tata etc don't offer static IP under home user plan. You generally have to buy a dedicated line which cost around Rs 10000 + 18% GST Extra per month ($125) for a 100mbps port.

    Airtel does offer static IP for 199 + GST per month, it used to be 99 couple of months back. JIO does offer static IPs as well, but you need to be on gigabit plan.

    I called Airtel about the static IPs, but they told me only one IP available per connection.

  • nvmenvme Member

    @hiwebtips said:

    @nvme said:

    @ManishPant said: @hiwebtips I don't know how you are getting a static IP from your ISP ( May i know the service provider, I think it's some local company) because big players like Airtel, JIO, Tata etc don't offer static IP under home user plan. You generally have to buy a dedicated line which cost around Rs 10000 + 18% GST Extra per month ($125) for a 100mbps port.

    Airtel does offer static IP for 199 + GST per month, it used to be 99 couple of months back. JIO does offer static IPs as well, but you need to be on gigabit plan.

    I called Airtel about the static IPs, but they told me only one IP available per connection.

    Yes they will offer only one for home connections I think.

  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited August 12

    OP:
    -What is median and peak temperature where you are based?

    -Does your setup require additional cooling?

    -What is situation on power grid reliability (power quality and disruptions)

    -Single points of failure galore. You may want to do a double check on redundancy.

    -Is this setup at residential or business address? Is that same as gst address? You may or may not get gst input credit on certain components of the system depending upon answer.

    -What is the time value of money for efforts put in by your friend and you?

    -what is situation wrt Backup?
    550 a month capex/15 a month usd opex seems too less.

  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

    This is good for a hobby project but if you're planning to keep clients on it with production sites then its a horrible idea.

    I currently live in Mumbai and in the posh locality. Here there are almost 0 powercuts/loadshedding (unless preplanned maintenance work). Just little further north from Mumbai, there are extreme power cuts and loadshedding for residential areas - so you'll have to manage that with power backup via solar & UPS inverters (additional cost for you).

    • at social get-togethers (which happens often in an Indian family) there you'll need to be extra cautious with that extra annoying younger cousin of yours, who might ruin your system, or the group of children playing in the household and disrupting the power cords, family members each trying to stream any crappy soap opera or shitflix/disneyhotstar, amazonprime, etc. crap on their cellphones, so draining the bandwidth and suffocating the data transfer speeds.

    So realistically speaking, it's good that you bought the hardware, tinkered with it to learn & develop but don't take the risk of hosting client's production data on it.
    There is a reason why datacenters exists.

    Good luck on your project.

    Also, it'd be better to just take a reseller hosting from a provider having Indian server location for your client's production data, as you won't have to deal with the server level security protocols, updating kernel/softwares, etc.

    Make your life easily & not difficult :)

    Thanked by 1vyas11
  • kkrajkkkrajk Member
    edited August 12

    @hiwebtips said: I orderd 2 100 Mbps connection

    The minute your provider knows you are using a residential connection for commercial use you are done... Which one are you using ACT or Airtel?

    Edit - read on and realised you are using someone else

  • lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

    @ManishPant said: CPU model

    These are generally Xeons or EPYCs with 2.8 GHz or higher. Send me a PM if interested - we don't usually do this, but given it seems so hard to find an India server, I guess we can lend a hand by creating these VMs on otherwise unused space :)

    Connection is 1 gbps fair-share

  • @vyas11 said:
    OP:
    -What is median and peak temperature where you are based?

    -Does your setup require additional cooling?

    -What is situation on power grid reliability (power quality and disruptions)

    -Single points of failure galore. You may want to do a double check on redundancy.

    -Is this setup at residential or business address? Is that same as gst address? You may or may not get gst input credit on certain components of the system depending upon answer.

    -What is the time value of money for efforts put in by your friend and you?

    -what is situation wrt Backup?
    550 a month capex/15 a month usd opex seems too less.

    The peak temp can goes upto 48 degree celsius. Average temp is 31 degree celsius. But my home is build with old model of home and inside it is cool enough. You can expect 10 to 15 degree lower temperature inside.

    Yes we need additional cooling as well. In my office I have AC but if we goes to create rack i will add aditional cooling. I will seperate the rack area by using glass door and use another AC.

    I have solar power on my house as well as electricity. I have inverter power backup seperate for my home and office. If we go for this kind of system I decided to buy a diesel geenrator for power backup.

    Yes I will think about it. It is now in experiment basis but I am very exited about it.

    I have GST, with same place my home and office.

    Me and one of my friend works on hosting and development (my friend specially works on developemt and me on hosting). I have two employees. I collaborate with another one who works on JIO specially on networking.

    For backup purpose, I decided to use my friends home. It is just 30 meters from my home.

    The cost is for testing purpose. I want to get an idea how much it cost to run a server which someone charging me $200. That's it.

  • @BlaZe said:
    This is good for a hobby project but if you're planning to keep clients on it with production sites then its a horrible idea.

    I currently live in Mumbai and in the posh locality. Here there are almost 0 powercuts/loadshedding (unless preplanned maintenance work). Just little further north from Mumbai, there are extreme power cuts and loadshedding for residential areas - so you'll have to manage that with power backup via solar & UPS inverters (additional cost for you).

    • at social get-togethers (which happens often in an Indian family) there you'll need to be extra cautious with that extra annoying younger cousin of yours, who might ruin your system, or the group of children playing in the household and disrupting the power cords, family members each trying to stream any crappy soap opera or shitflix/disneyhotstar, amazonprime, etc. crap on their cellphones, so draining the bandwidth and suffocating the data transfer speeds.

    So realistically speaking, it's good that you bought the hardware, tinkered with it to learn & develop but don't take the risk of hosting client's production data on it.
    There is a reason why datacenters exists.

    Good luck on your project.

    Also, it'd be better to just take a reseller hosting from a provider having Indian server location for your client's production data, as you won't have to deal with the server level security protocols, updating kernel/softwares, etc.

    Make your life easily & not difficult :)

    Thank you for your comment.

    My office and home address are same but I have completely seperate place from my home. I have 3 broadband connections 1 for home, another for office. another one bought for testing the server. Will order another one from a different provider to check how load balancing works.

    I am not decided to use it for production now. I decided to try it for atleast one year for our own projects or few of my friends projects. I have decided to run a free hosting service also :p It may get fail but we will have a good experiance.

    I used Reseller Hosting long ago then moved to own server. I decided to move Indian server but the cost is very high. can't use reseller right now. No way!

  • hiwebtipshiwebtips Member
    edited August 12

    @kkrajk said:

    @hiwebtips said: I orderd 2 100 Mbps connection

    The minute your provider knows you are using a residential connection for commercial use you are done... Which one are you using ACT or Airtel?

    Edit - read on and realised you are using someone else

    None of them. it is a local provider but very popular in West bengal. I know the local reseller personally.

    EDIT: I want to add another point. He said business line or shared all are from same line. He said you don't need business line now.

    Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep
    edited August 12

    @hiwebtips said:

    Thank you for your comment.

    My office and home address are same but I have completely seperate place from my home. I have 3 broadband connections 1 for home, another for office. another one bought for testing the server. Will order another one from a different provider to check how load balancing works.

    I am not decided to use it for production now. I decided to try it for atleast one year for our own projects or few of my friends projects. I have decided to run a free hosting service also :p It may get fail but we will have a good experiance.

    I used Reseller Hosting long ago then moved to own server. I decided to move Indian server but the cost is very high. can't use reseller right now. No way!

    Fair enough. I thought you're going all in to host client's sites on it.

    Btw, word of caution, don't offer free hosting. If at all it gets misused then trust me, cyber crime cops showing at your door, taking away the server, mobile, external HDDs, and any other digital storage media, troubling you to visit the station every now & then, not worth at all!

    So refrain from offering any kind of free hosting even if you know the other person, as he/she may get compromised and hackers might use the resources to conduct criminal activities without even your friend knowing it.

    AND if you will try to teach them the cyber crime act/laws then I'm sure you'll regret it :D

  • vyas11vyas11 Member

    Looks like you have many parts figured out, rest will come from getting hands dirty. Overall great opportunity to have fun and learn!! Even if sone things don’t work, which only practical will reveal.

    Best wishes.

    Thanked by 2vimalware hiwebtips
  • @hiwebtips said: Thermal Grease

    Good luck if you ever need to open your CPU. I want a nice picture of broken pins.

    Thanked by 1hiwebtips
  • @ManishPant said:
    @hiwebtips I don't know how you are getting a static IP from your ISP ( May i know the service provider, I think it's some local company) because big players like Airtel, JIO, Tata etc don't offer static IP under home user plan. You generally have to buy a dedicated line which cost around Rs 10000 + 18% GST Extra per month ($125) for a 100mbps port.

    Not entirely true. You can get a static IP with the major ISPs under their business plans (not dedi). Business plans are identical to consumer plans bar the OTT freebies and the additional option of a static IP for a small fee.

    Heck, even during DSL days MTNL/BSNL used to happily dole out static IPs for an additional fee. Most of the old cctv setups still rely on it. Extremely unsecure, I know, but who's gonna argue with these lalla companies installing things the only way they know.

  • Daniel15Daniel15 Member
    edited August 12

    How much RAM and disk space do you need?

    Have you considered using a VPS instead of a dedicated server? DigitalOcean have servers in Bangalore, and HostNamaste, Vultr, PhotonVPS, AWS Lightsail and probably others have servers in Mumbai. Some of them only have SATA SSDs though, not NVMe SSDs.

Sign In or Register to comment.