Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Contabo Rollback my 7 days of data and not answering phone! Stay Away - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Contabo Rollback my 7 days of data and not answering phone! Stay Away

2»

Comments

• @Ympker said:
    This is probably easier for my use case, but the first thing I usually do when spinning up a new WordPress install on VPS/Shared Host is to setup remote backup via Updraft Plus or similar. I found, when it comes to WordPress, that an application-level backup is far more convenient than backing up the whole VPS. Of course, with more complex projects (also non-wordpress related) this could prove to be more difficult.

Did JetBackup work in the end ,or did it not @hiwebtips ? You said it helped a little?

Yeah - an automated offsite backup is a must. It's impossible to trust provider backup services, because they won't take any responsibility if they don't work. I love updraft's very flexible schedule and incremental features too.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • emghemgh Member

@hiwebtips said:

@emgh said:

@hiwebtips said:
    Got reply from Contabo:

Unfortunately, if there is any lost data, we are not able to recover anything, due to data safety reasons, we are not allowed to perform any backups of customer data. Furthermore, all our servers are completely root and the data safety/backups except of hardware related issues is completely in the capable hands of our customers.

At least jetbackup daily backups saved me a little on this case. But surely moving out from this scary company as soon as possible.

Well, no company take backups for your to do what you want for free. You have to purchase that service.

I already have daily backup system on my server. My backup generated on 4th Aug 2:30AM IST, their migration finished on 5th Aug 8:30 PM IST and data rollback to 27th July. I can restore the 4th Aug backup but I lost the current backup data. This is their job to take a backup when a migration is ongoing. They migrated my server because I complained about performance issue.

You're right.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@hiwebtips said:

@WebProject said:
    It’s sounds to me that company used old snapshot from own system backup so data 7 days old.

Exactly this is the senario. Can you imagine a data migration is taking 7 days. I got an email of the migration start on 27th July and it finished on 4th Aug! I thought it has been done on the same day. I mailed them but no replied. These guys don't reply for 3/4 days...

unfortunately, I can image as it’s classified the mess in my book, as with any migration the IPv4 addresses and data should be the same - current data state.

• @Ympker said:
    This is probably easier for my use case, but the first thing I usually do when spinning up a new WordPress install on VPS/Shared Host is to setup remote backup via Updraft Plus or similar. I found, when it comes to WordPress, that an application-level backup is far more convenient than backing up the whole VPS. Of course, with more complex projects (also non-wordpress related) this could prove to be more difficult.

Did JetBackup work in the end ,or did it not @hiwebtips ? You said it helped a little?

Yes, JetBackup helped me to restore 4th Aug 2:00AM data but lost 15 hours data after the last backup.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @ColonelPanic said:

Yeah - an automated offsite backup is a must. It's impossible to trust provider backup services, because they won't take any responsibility if they don't work. I love updraft's very flexible schedule and incremental features too.

Yeah for personal hosting I would love to use Updraft Plus, but as a hosting service provider it could be a nightmare sometimes. If all users use these backup system, it may cause extra load on the server.
    However, I found a solution of this issue, I recommend my users to use Softaculous backup system. It has its own backup system with many options such as FTP, Dropbox, Google Drive, S3 etc. Which is not resource hungry.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @WebProject said:

@hiwebtips said:

@WebProject said:
    It’s sounds to me that company used old snapshot from own system backup so data 7 days old.

Exactly this is the senario. Can you imagine a data migration is taking 7 days. I got an email of the migration start on 27th July and it finished on 4th Aug! I thought it has been done on the same day. I mailed them but no replied. These guys don't reply for 3/4 days...

unfortunately, I can image as it’s classified the mess in my book, as with any migration the IPv4 addresses and data should be the same - current data state.

Yes. They did it before, but since they started other locations their support becomes pain in the ass. However, I want to move out from this shitty company as soon as possible. I am going to start a new thread please help me to choose.

• Thank you guys. Your are so helpful and concerned. However, I am going to start a new thread about moving out from Contabo as soon as possible.
    Please help me to choose and suggest me the best possible way to get out from this company.

Thanks

• ralfralf Member

What's the point of starting a new thread? All the relevant information is here!

• @hiwebtips said:

@Ympker said:

Yes, JetBackup helped me to restore 4th Aug 2:00AM data but lost 15 hours data after the last backup.

Glad to hear you were able to recover a majority of your data!

• @hiwebtips said:

@ColonelPanic said:

Yeah for personal hosting I would love to use Updraft Plus, but as a hosting service provider it could be a nightmare sometimes. If all users use these backup system, it may cause extra load on the server.
    However, I found a solution of this issue, I recommend my users to use Softaculous backup system. It has its own backup system with many options such as FTP, Dropbox, Google Drive, S3 etc. Which is not resource hungry.

Yeah, Softaculous backup is also nice :)

• @hiwebtips said: I was searching a good SGP/India dedicated server but cannot adjust the cost.

here you see, how important/valuable your data is to you. they are exactly as much worth to you as you "cannot adjust the cost" - so what's there to complain about measly 15h of data?

Thanked by 2jsg bdl
  • @hiwebtips said:

@itsnotv said:

Did you request a migration to contabo or they did this on their own?

I complaint about performance issue. They move my server to a different node to improve the performance. It was done before without any issue.

I asked because Contabo randomly formatted my VPS and installed Ubuntu. I was running Debian with custom disk layout with xfs + btrfs partitions. I think their buggy system thought I had invalid OS and just reinstalled it automatically. Thank god, I didn't have anything valuable.