Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Contabo Rollback my 7 days of data and not answering phone! Stay Away
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Contabo Rollback my 7 days of data and not answering phone! Stay Away

Just 2 hours ago, Contabo rollback my whole VPS data to 7 days before! All are gone! All of my users (200+) data are gone!
They are not picking phone, not repling mail.
Can't understand what to do!

«1

Comments

  • comXyzcomXyz Member

    Do you at least have some sort of daily backup?

  • ralfralf Member

    I guess the question is would you have been more or less upset if you'd suffered data loss and had nothing at all.

    Thanked by 1RapToN
  • nick_nick_ Member

    Generally, anything made in Germany is great, but Contabo is probably an exception.

    Thanked by 1banana_mcn
  • @comXyz said:
    Do you at least have some sort of daily backup?

    Yes I have daily backup to Expert VM but in JetBackup it shows only 28th July data. How to get yesterday's backup?

  • @nick_ said:
    Generally, anything made in Germany is great, but Contabo is probably an exception.

    I was searching a good SGP/India dedicated server but cannot adjust the cost.

  • MikeAMikeA Member, Host Rep

    I had a small Contabo server when they first released their US location to test. They had network issues and moved the server to another system, when they did that it rolled back the data on the server a day or two. Was your server live migrated recently to another system? It seems like their live migration system is messed up.

  • varwwwvarwww Member

    :sunglasses: Imagine running a bank database on Contabo

  • @MikeA said:
    I had a small Contabo server when they first released their US location to test. They had network issues and moved the server to another system, when they did that it rolled back the data on the server a day or two. Was your server live migrated recently to another system? It seems like their live migration system is messed up.

    Yes, My server migration started 27th July. But I thought it has been done! However I didn't get any VNC details though!
    Have you got your data back? It will be a disaster for me, if the data lost completely! They are not picking up the phone! Don't know what to do!

  • @varwww said:
    :sunglasses: Imagine running a bank database on Contabo

    I am using them since 2018. Back then, it was good. The things started to getting bad when they started to open new locations like SGP, US and UK.
    Seems they bite more than they could chew.

  • MikeAMikeA Member, Host Rep

    @hiwebtips said:

    @MikeA said:
    I had a small Contabo server when they first released their US location to test. They had network issues and moved the server to another system, when they did that it rolled back the data on the server a day or two. Was your server live migrated recently to another system? It seems like their live migration system is messed up.

    Yes, My server migration started 27th July. But I thought it has been done! However I didn't get any VNC details though!
    Have you got your data back? It will be a disaster for me, if the data lost completely! They are not picking up the phone! Don't know what to do!

    If they did a migration on your server, and the data was rolled back, you're very unlikely to get it back.

    Thanked by 1RapToN
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

    Disaster recovery plan will be activated.

    Nigh sect will suggest lawsuits.

  • _MS__MS_ Member

    Error 000 - Disaster Recovery Plan not found.

  • ralfralf Member

    Maybe OP is just in a time loop and destined to keep reliving this week forever.

  • Got reply from Contabo:

    Unfortunately, if there is any lost data, we are not able to recover anything, due to data safety reasons, we are not allowed to perform any backups of customer data. Furthermore, all our servers are completely root and the data safety/backups except of hardware related issues is completely in the capable hands of our customers.

    At least jetbackup daily backups saved me a little on this case. But surely moving out from this scary company as soon as possible.

  • emghemgh Member

    @hiwebtips said:
    Got reply from Contabo:

    Unfortunately, if there is any lost data, we are not able to recover anything, due to data safety reasons, we are not allowed to perform any backups of customer data. Furthermore, all our servers are completely root and the data safety/backups except of hardware related issues is completely in the capable hands of our customers.

    At least jetbackup daily backups saved me a little on this case. But surely moving out from this scary company as soon as possible.

    Well, no company take backups for your to do what you want for free. You have to purchase that service.

    Thanked by 1RapToN
  • WebProjectWebProject Member, Host Rep
    edited August 4

    If companies do migrate VMs to new servers/nodes at least they do migrate a current state of data not like 7 days or couple years ago back or pre GDPR data 😂😂

    Thanked by 2hiwebtips Kebab
  • This can happen with a lot of companies out there and it's not going to be their fault either. You should be taking daily backups by yourself and test those backups from time to time to make sure they work properly. Backup your data to at least two other servers rented from different companies and preferably different countries too.

  • itsnotvitsnotv Member

    @hiwebtips said: Yes, My server migration started 27th July. But I thought it has been done! However I didn't get any VNC details though!

    Did you request a migration to contabo or they did this on their own?

  • @emgh said:

    @hiwebtips said:
    Got reply from Contabo:

    Unfortunately, if there is any lost data, we are not able to recover anything, due to data safety reasons, we are not allowed to perform any backups of customer data. Furthermore, all our servers are completely root and the data safety/backups except of hardware related issues is completely in the capable hands of our customers.

    At least jetbackup daily backups saved me a little on this case. But surely moving out from this scary company as soon as possible.

    Well, no company take backups for your to do what you want for free. You have to purchase that service.

    I already have daily backup system on my server. My backup generated on 4th Aug 2:30AM IST, their migration finished on 5th Aug 8:30 PM IST and data rollback to 27th July. I can restore the 4th Aug backup but I lost the current backup data. This is their job to take a backup when a migration is ongoing. They migrated my server because I complained about performance issue.

    Thanked by 1emgh
  • @WebProject said:
    If companies do migrate VMs to new servers/nodes at least they do migrate a current state of data not like 7 days or couple years ago back or pre GDPR data 😂😂

    Exactly. I was looking for a consumer complaint against these fraud company but as I am not an EU citizen I cannot make any complaint.

  • @itsnotv said:

    @hiwebtips said: Yes, My server migration started 27th July. But I thought it has been done! However I didn't get any VNC details though!

    Did you request a migration to contabo or they did this on their own?

    I complaint about performance issue. They move my server to a different node to improve the performance. It was done before without any issue.

  • @kalimov622 said:
    This can happen with a lot of companies out there and it's not going to be their fault either. You should be taking daily backups by yourself and test those backups from time to time to make sure they work properly. Backup your data to at least two other servers rented from different companies and preferably different countries too.

    It is obviously their fault. My migration started on 26th july and finished 5th Aug can you imagine this? Who take this time to move 800 GB data in same datacenter?
    They say, it is a live migration so there will be no data loss! It is also their job to check and monitor the data should migrated completely. You cannot migrate a server with 7 days old data, can you?

  • 800gb data and you dont take any backups :o

    Thanked by 1bdl
  • WebProjectWebProject Member, Host Rep

    It’s sounds to me that company used old snapshot from own system backup so data 7 days old.

    Thanked by 2ShalaWorks hiwebtips
  • @Ahfaiahkid said:
    800gb data and you dont take any backups :o

    and he said it important data :-o

  • ralfralf Member

    @hiwebtips said:

    @kalimov622 said:
    This can happen with a lot of companies out there and it's not going to be their fault either. You should be taking daily backups by yourself and test those backups from time to time to make sure they work properly. Backup your data to at least two other servers rented from different companies and preferably different countries too.

    It is obviously their fault. My migration started on 26th july and finished 5th Aug can you imagine this? Who take this time to move 800 GB data in same datacenter?
    They say, it is a live migration so there will be no data loss! It is also their job to check and monitor the data should migrated completely. You cannot migrate a server with 7 days old data, can you?

    Hmmm, this actually makes me think that the transfer was started AND finished a week ago, but for whatever reason your old instance was not shut down and running concurrently with the new one.

    If that was the case, the issue was that you continued to use the old machine after migration and not the new machine.

    The fact that it was exactly 7 days old, makes me think that maybe your DHCP lease expired at that time and so the old machine dropped out of service then and then you picked up the new machine, or maybe they have a system where the old machine is supposed to stay around for 7 days as a backup, and then deleted after 7 days.

  • @Ahfaiahkid said:
    800gb data and you dont take any backups :o

    I already replied that I have automated daily backup system which I check everyday.

  • @WebProject said:
    It’s sounds to me that company used old snapshot from own system backup so data 7 days old.

    Exactly this is the senario. Can you imagine a data migration is taking 7 days. I got an email of the migration start on 27th July and it finished on 4th Aug! I thought it has been done on the same day. I mailed them but no replied. These guys don't reply for 3/4 days...

  • @ralf said:

    @hiwebtips said:

    @kalimov622 said:
    This can happen with a lot of companies out there and it's not going to be their fault either. You should be taking daily backups by yourself and test those backups from time to time to make sure they work properly. Backup your data to at least two other servers rented from different companies and preferably different countries too.

    It is obviously their fault. My migration started on 26th july and finished 5th Aug can you imagine this? Who take this time to move 800 GB data in same datacenter?
    They say, it is a live migration so there will be no data loss! It is also their job to check and monitor the data should migrated completely. You cannot migrate a server with 7 days old data, can you?

    Hmmm, this actually makes me think that the transfer was started AND finished a week ago, but for whatever reason your old instance was not shut down and running concurrently with the new one.

    If that was the case, the issue was that you continued to use the old machine after migration and not the new machine.

    The fact that it was exactly 7 days old, makes me think that maybe your DHCP lease expired at that time and so the old machine dropped out of service then and then you picked up the new machine, or maybe they have a system where the old machine is supposed to stay around for 7 days as a backup, and then deleted after 7 days.

    Very good point. let me shoot an email. I don't know when they will reply. I am just managing the situation by restoring through JetBackup.

  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 5

    This is probably easier for my use case, but the first thing I usually do when spinning up a new WordPress install on VPS/Shared Host is to setup remote backup via Updraft Plus or similar. I found, when it comes to WordPress, that an application-level backup is far more convenient than backing up the whole VPS. Of course, with more complex projects (also non-wordpress related) this could prove to be more difficult.

    Did JetBackup work in the end ,or did it not @hiwebtips ? You said it helped a little?

Sign In or Register to comment.