Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Hetzner storage box good for video streaming? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is Hetzner storage box good for video streaming?

2»

Comments

• TekoTeko Member
    edited August 2022

@letlover said:

@Erisa said:

@letlover said:

@NothingTV said:

@letlover said:

@PHP_Friends said:
    We have also Storage (FTPS/SMB) including unlimited traffic which has some nice speeds :)

500GB = 6,90€
    1TB = 9,90€
    2TB = 17,90€
    3TB = 24,90€
    5TB = 29,90€
    10TB = 49,90€
    20TB = 99,90€

Incl. 19 % VAT.

Maybe this is true dedicated resource so it is more expensive than Hetzner's boxes?
    If it is dedicated, it is very interesting, because disk io speed is guaranteed.

It's not dedicated but you don't have limitations like max. 10 concurrent connections which sucks for plex. I tested both of them and php-friends is way better for this, their storage has indeed nice speeds, for plex it felt even faster than a local WD RED lol
    I had several concurrent 4k streams (few with transcoding) and had not a single buffer.

This is very promising. Not sure why Hetzner sets limits for concurrent users for its storage boxes, maybe to reduce IO stress. I like php friends's way better.

Based on my testing I did prior, the concurrent connections actually applies per each incoming IP address rather than for each Storage Box or user/subuser.

e.g. I made 10 connections towards a Storage Box (Over HTTPS with WebDAV) and attempting to make an 11th would hang until the previous 10 have completed. While those 10 connections were ongoing I could open another 10 from a separate machine with a different IP address.

It is not clear if this is intentional or not.

This is much better. As you can have a mysql database on the storage box, and have several nginx servers in front of it, each can access the database 10 concurrent connections. If putting varnish or redis upfront to cache the static content to reduce the database access, it may work for a high traffic website.

Do you know what are you talking about?

Never play this in high traffic website.

Edit: make it much simple without technical stuffs

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • letloverletlover Member
    edited August 2022

@Teko said:

@letlover said:

@Erisa said:

@letlover said:

@NothingTV said:

@letlover said:

@PHP_Friends said:
    We have also Storage (FTPS/SMB) including unlimited traffic which has some nice speeds :)

500GB = 6,90€
    1TB = 9,90€
    2TB = 17,90€
    3TB = 24,90€
    5TB = 29,90€
    10TB = 49,90€
    20TB = 99,90€

Incl. 19 % VAT.

Maybe this is true dedicated resource so it is more expensive than Hetzner's boxes?
    If it is dedicated, it is very interesting, because disk io speed is guaranteed.

It's not dedicated but you don't have limitations like max. 10 concurrent connections which sucks for plex. I tested both of them and php-friends is way better for this, their storage has indeed nice speeds, for plex it felt even faster than a local WD RED lol
    I had several concurrent 4k streams (few with transcoding) and had not a single buffer.

This is very promising. Not sure why Hetzner sets limits for concurrent users for its storage boxes, maybe to reduce IO stress. I like php friends's way better.

Based on my testing I did prior, the concurrent connections actually applies per each incoming IP address rather than for each Storage Box or user/subuser.

e.g. I made 10 connections towards a Storage Box (Over HTTPS with WebDAV) and attempting to make an 11th would hang until the previous 10 have completed. While those 10 connections were ongoing I could open another 10 from a separate machine with a different IP address.

This is much better. As you can have a mysql database on the storage box, and have several nginx servers in front of it, each can access the database 10 concurrent connections. If putting varnish or redis upfront to cache the static content to reduce the database access, it may work for a high traffic website.

How can you run the MySQL database on the storage box? Do you mean running multiple MySQL server with the same file on storage box??? You should go check master and slave.

I cannot install mysql db on the storage box? Then what is the point of the storage box? Maybe to store static content /img /video /mp3 etc?

I mean the storage box as the main database disk, the small vps in front can have mysql server.

• TekoTeko Member
    edited August 2022

@letlover said:

@Teko said:

@letlover said:

@Erisa said:

@letlover said:

@NothingTV said:

@letlover said:

@PHP_Friends said:

500GB = 6,90€
    1TB = 9,90€
    2TB = 17,90€
    3TB = 24,90€
    5TB = 29,90€
    10TB = 49,90€
    20TB = 99,90€

Incl. 19 % VAT.

How can you run the MySQL database on the storage box? Do you mean running multiple MySQL server with the same file on storage box??? You should go check master and slave.

I cannot install mysql db on the storage box? Then what is the point of the storage box? Maybe to store static content /img /video /mp3 etc?

I mean the storage box as the main database disk, the small vps in front can have mysql server.

Why don’t you host the database on vps directly and backup the data to storage box? It will make things much stable and simple.

Using a remote hdd storage also causing high delay and slow random r/w, it may also be disconnected because of network issues, which is not suitable for high traffic website.

It can only be experimental / toy.

Edit: typo, grammatical mistakes and formatting

• @letlover said:

@Teko said:

@letlover said:

@Erisa said:

@letlover said:

@NothingTV said:

@letlover said:

@PHP_Friends said:

500GB = 6,90€
    1TB = 9,90€
    2TB = 17,90€
    3TB = 24,90€
    5TB = 29,90€
    10TB = 49,90€
    20TB = 99,90€

Incl. 19 % VAT.

It will only be a matter of time before Hetzner terminates you for high I/O.

Thanked by 2letlover Erisa
  • Using a remote hdd storage also causing high delay and slow random r/w, it may also be disconnected because of network issues, which is not suitable for high traffic website.

You are totally true. Hetzner storage box seems more suitable for storage than be used as true hdd disks.

• @cpsd said:

@Sanjue007 said:
    Any tutorial for a noob.? :'(

apt install cifs-utils
    mkdir /mnt/bx

mount.cifs -o user=uXXXXXX,pass=XXXXX //uXXXXXX.your-storagebox.de/backup /mnt/bx

cd /mnt/bx
    ...your files are mounted here

Thanks for this buddy,

but there seems to be an issue once rebooted. it got automatically unmounted. any advise?

• Since this thread has been bumped up, an update: I set up a Kubernetes cluster with regular CPX31 instances and have moved all my self hosted stuff there and will cancel the dedicated server. I only needed two nodes for my stuff.

I am using a Storage Box for the media storage, but I have configured the apps so to only download stuff at max 1080p quality that can be played directly without transcoding so there's very little CPU usage. It works great! It's not 4K but anyway 1080p with high bitrate still looks good even on a 4K display. But I can watch on the secondary display which is 1080p so there is no downscaling.

• ralfralf Member

@Sanjue007 said:

@cpsd said:

@Sanjue007 said:

apt install cifs-utils
    mkdir /mnt/bx

mount.cifs -o user=uXXXXXX,pass=XXXXX //uXXXXXX.your-storagebox.de/backup /mnt/bx

cd /mnt/bx

Thanks for this buddy,

but there seems to be an issue once rebooted. it got automatically unmounted. any advise?

Add it to /etc/fstab

• @ralf said:

@Sanjue007 said:

@cpsd said:

@Sanjue007 said:

apt install cifs-utils
    mkdir /mnt/bx

cd /mnt/bx

Thanks for this buddy,

Add it to /etc/fstab

how?

• ralfralf Member

@Sanjue007 said:

@ralf said:

@Sanjue007 said:

@cpsd said:

@Sanjue007 said:

apt install cifs-utils
    mkdir /mnt/bx

cd /mnt/bx

Thanks for this buddy,

Add it to /etc/fstab

how?

vi /etc/fstab

Thanked by 3Sanjue007 RapToN Erisa
  • @Sanjue007 said:

@ralf said:

@Sanjue007 said:

@cpsd said:

@Sanjue007 said:

apt install cifs-utils
    mkdir /mnt/bx

cd /mnt/bx

Thanks for this buddy,

Add it to /etc/fstab

how?

https://docs.hetzner.com/robot/storage-box/access/access-samba-cifs/

Thanked by 1Sanjue007
  • @vitobotta said:
    Since this thread has been bumped up, an update: I set up a Kubernetes cluster with regular CPX31 instances and have moved all my self hosted stuff there and will cancel the dedicated server. I only needed two nodes for my stuff.

I am using a Storage Box for the media storage, but I have configured the apps so to only download stuff at max 1080p quality that can be played directly without transcoding so there's very little CPU usage. It works great! It's not 4K but anyway 1080p with high bitrate still looks good even on a 4K display. But I can watch on the secondary display which is 1080p so there is no downscaling.

How did you end up mounting the storage? I've mounted storage on a Hetzner dedicated server from a cloud server through SSHFS, but haven't tried it with their storage boxes.

• @aj_potc said:

@vitobotta said:
    Since this thread has been bumped up, an update: I set up a Kubernetes cluster with regular CPX31 instances and have moved all my self hosted stuff there and will cancel the dedicated server. I only needed two nodes for my stuff.

How did you end up mounting the storage? I've mounted storage on a Hetzner dedicated server from a cloud server through SSHFS, but haven't tried it with their storage boxes.

Just regular cifs. It works well.