Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I won my PayPal case against ShardHost - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I won my PayPal case against ShardHost

2»

Comments

• Thank you @Dalcomp @Maounique

I shot an email and see what happens. Anyways, I'm happy with what I was refunded, around 60% of my total spending with shard

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Yeah @HardCloud, for US providers, at least, it is never an issue. Any mention of intangible item and PayPal ends the dispute in the seller's favor.

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited December 2013

@eastonch said:
    Pretty sure that if he replied 'Virtual Services' you'd of lost.

You mean virtual as in something promised, and delivered...not?

@Nick_A said:
    Yeah HardCloud, for US providers, at least, it is never an issue. Any mention of intangible item and PayPal ends the dispute in the seller's favor.

Pretty sure it wouldnt stand a chance against our Consumer protection act. Virtual or real, a breach of contract by not delivering services promised to be delivered would be a violation. Paypal would ask the seller to cough up if delivered an electronic legal notice.

• formosanformosan Member
    edited December 2013

My case was closed :(

Status
    This dispute closed because it was opened for more than 45 days after the transaction date or did not meet other filing criteria.

• BuyMoreVMBuyMoreVM Member
    edited December 2013

@formosan said:
    My case was closed :(

Status
    This dispute closed because it was opened for more than 45 days after the transaction date or did not meet other filing criteria.

Call them up and find out why. OP, I'm glad you won a case!

• I paid on 10th of October, opened the case on 13th of November and received my money back on 24th of November.
    Actually I only opened the case because I was reading about the possibility here in the Shardhost thread but didn't have much confidence to get my money back. I was fairly surprised when I checked my email and saw the mail from PayPal.

• i won too, $35 back to my paypal account.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

How many people have gotten their money back via Paypal or credit card chargeback? Hopefully many..

• @jbiloh said:

Far too many I feel, ones that scam us providers out of money (in Canada at least... consumer protection BS.)

• emgemg Veteran
    edited December 2013

@jcaleb said:
    how can they refund in 45 days when shardhost dissolved? is it they hold the fund for 45 days and dont release to host?

Most likely, PayPal paid the refund from their own pocket. When a PalPal seller disappears without delivering what the customer bought, and PayPal cannot recover their funds, then PayPal's customer insurance policy must still make good on the customer's purchase. Of course, PayPal uses delays and other withholding to reduce their risk that they will be on the hook to refund the customer's money. Despite their risk mitigation policies and procedures, I imagine that PayPal gets caught holding the bag once in a while.

I have had more than one credit card dispute where the credit card provider ate the cost of the refund. For example, a shop in a city far from my home double-charged my credit card - waiting two months between the charges. They assumed that I would not notice the duplicate charge. Obviously, it was a ploy for stealing from one-time visitors. The amount was approximately $20. The credit card company told me that the shop claimed it was a "phone order", which was a blatant lie to explain why they did not have a signed slip for the second purchase. The customer service representative for the credit card company admitted that they had previous cases where the shop double-dipped travelers (but not locals). I was angry that the credit card company would not revoke the shop's credit card privileges, charge them with criminal fraud, etc. At the very least, they should charge back the shop. The credit card company chose to refund my money out of their own pocket, saying that the amounts in question were not worth their costs to prosecute any disciplinary actions against the shop.

I have since wondered if the credit card company's motive was not simple greed for being complicit with the shop's fraudulent charges. As long as vast majority of defrauded customers paid the bills without noticing, both the shop and the credit card company benefited. The few refunds that the credit card company issued were simple business expenses.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

AFAIK, MasterCard and Visa charges 1% for foreigns currency exchange... and the bank may charge 2 or 2.5% per transaction. Imagine how much do they gain daily. $20 is little for that.

• @jarland said:
    Log their IP address logins. Prove without a doubt that the person who signed up is the person who they claimed to be. If they use a fake identity and a bunch of VPNs, that's one thing, but if they use a residential IP that traces to their home town....big improvement. Even better, if you contact that person and they e-mail you back from the same IP they signed up with claiming it wasn't them. This is pretty much always true in my experience. Kids aren't always as bright as they think they are.

I have done exactly this once, paypal barely listened to it.

• edited December 2013

@HardCloud said:
    Thanks for the heads up, will be re-reading the policies on PayPal's US site and see if I can't get a hearing out of that.

Being a Canadian corporation, I'd disagree that we have no protection for PayPal transactions for intangible services.

While we don't receive an abundance of disputes or anything, they do happen, and are a cost of doing business. I can count on one hand the number of PayPal disputes in all of the years.

With that said, we've never lost one of the those though. Picking up the phone to call PayPal, and advising them of the nature of the purchase (i.e. intangible), resulted in the dispute being closed in our favour while on the call with them.

• In the case of a dispute alone, yes. When it's only a "claim" or non-receipt dispute, you can close it. However; once the customer loses that, they go through other avenues with malice; such as re-filing the transaction as fraudulent with PayPal.

When they lose that (if they lose that), then often file for fraud with their Credit Card company, which then means you're completely screwed; regardless of what information you pass onto PayPal.

And you can't open a case (or even comment on the case) with Loss Prevention, because PayPal is the defendant. I am more or less told to "screw off" by Visa when commenting on a PayPal case that affects me.

The Consumer Protection Act (among other things) indemnify the consumer from any loss due to fraud. Unfortunately however, most banks and processors will give you a number of "freebies" that you can open, without even signing an affidavit (I challenged a charge on my card just last week, they didn't ask me for anything; they gave me the funds immediately over the phone.)

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited February 2014

nm

• @jvnadr said:
    nm

NecroMancy?

• Never mind

• @ftpit said:
    Never mind

I weep for humanity.

• Nekki said: NecroMancy?

Sounds about right:

• Post by mistake!

• this was posted in December 2013 .. gravedigging much?

• good thing if someone says "Virtual Services" you can charge back with visa. visa stands behind there users. Paypal are crooks.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

In other news, I returned an item to Wal-mart and successfully received a full, immediate refund.

Are you all impressed?

• @raindog308 said:
    In other news, I returned an item to Wal-mart and successfully received a full, immediate refund.

Are you all impressed?

What was the item? Otherwise this is just half a story.